A Special Bond

Sister, dearest
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hey, I just wanted to thank all of you who left comments on my teaser to the fic. Irene and Joohyun are twin sisters here. Irene has always felt in the shadow of Joohyun and that no one cares about her as much as they do her sister. She plots elaborate revenge against Joohyun to take the one person Joohyun loves most which is Seulgi, and it will be dark in places but thanks for the interest. Here’s chapter 1


 

Twenty-eight years ago the Bae’s were expecting their first child. After many failed pregnancy attempts the couple were finally going to have a baby. It was a little girl who they planned to name Joohyun. The couple set up room in a nursery for their baby girl and awaited the arrival of their first child. March 29th their baby was born and she was beautiful, healthy, and thriving. The Bae’s were only expecting one child, or so they thought.

 

“Mrs. Bae, there’s another child!” The doctor says to the woman who has just given birth 6 minutes ago.

 

“What?” The woman says through heavy breaths. “What do you mean there’s another child! I thought we were having one child.”

 

“We might not have seen this second child on any of the ultrasounds, perhaps this child was hiding behind the first.”

 

“Well, help my wife deliver the baby!” Mr. Bae shouts to the doctor. The delivery of the second child was easier as the baby came right out, healthy and screaming loudly.

 

“It’s another girl. Twins,” the doctor tells the couple.

 

“Twins?”

 

They hadn’t been expecting for twins. Mrs. Bae looks over to Joohyun who is in her husband’s arms. She looks down to the second little girl who is in her arms.

 

“We didn’t expect two, dear?” Mr. Bae says as he looks over to the second daughter they knew nothing about. His wife nods. Surely, they weren’t anticipating for two babies. But they have two and they will adjust as needed.

 

“There’s enough room in the nursery for our second daughter. I don’t have any name for her, though.”

 

Mr. Bae looks thoughtful. “What about, Irene? I read it in a baby book before we decided on Joohyun? Do you like it?”

 

Irene’s as good as any name. Mrs. Bae agrees to name their second daughter Irene. On March 29 at 3 :45 am Bae Irene was born 6 minutes after her older sister Joohyun. Although, the couple hadn’t been completely prepared for twins. They vowed to make it work as they could. They purchased another set of everything they bought for Joohyun. There was now two of the same bassinets, clothes, crib for when the twins were older, pacifiers, and baby rattles. In the beginning it was easy of course because they were babies and no developed personality. When the twins turned 5 the Bae’s could see the formations of personalities within their daughters.

 

Joohyun was very observant. She enjoyed learning and always seemed fascinated with blocks, puzzle like toys, and listening intently to books being read to her. Joohyun was even able to read as much as she could back to her parents when they read to her. Irene was a different story. Irene liked the musical toys, and coloring books where her sister liked puzzles. Irene was quiet and kept mostly to herself, except for the times she was acting out.

 

“Irene!” Mr. Bae shouts when he sees his daughter painting the bedroom walls purple with finger paint. Her tiny handprints all over the side of the room she sleeps.

 

“I don’t wanna share a room with Hyun no more!”

 

Joohyun is on her side of the room playing by herself and seemingly uninterested in what her sister is doing. Mr. Bae sighs and bends down to look at his daughter who is pouting.

 

“But, sweetie. Joohyun is your twin sister and that’s a very special bond that you both have. Regular siblings could never have a bond like yours.”

 

Irene looks unimpressed. Her chocolate brown eyes focus on her dad. She’s going to get him to change his mind.

 

“Daddy, I want my own room.”

 

“Irene?”

 

He was of course going to eventually make it where Joohyun and Irene could have separate rooms, when they were teenagers and needed their own space. He and his wife both think for now they should be fine in their shared space. The room is big enough too. Irene has plenty of a space on her side for her plushies, toys, and things she likes. Joohyun as well has her side of the room that is neat filled with all the things she loves like puzzles, building blocks and a few plushies here and there.

 

“Tell you what, sweetie. Since you already started painting your side purple. Should we continue?”

 

Irene sighs and nods. Perhaps she couldn’t get her dad to change his mind now. One day she will have her own room and space away from Joohyun. As the twins grew their differences became more clear. With grade school came the fact that their daughters couldn’t be more different. Even their teachers would note the differences. Joohyun was a teacher’s dream. She was thoughtful, smart, quiet when needed but outspoken at the right times. Irene was not so much the ideal student. She wasn’t usually compliant with the teachers unless prompted through some sort of motivation, and although she was a quiet child. She certainly didn’t steer clear from trouble when she felt like it. Joohyun was studious and always seemed to have her head in her books. But at the same time she was very social and able to make friends. Irene was more on the artistic side preferring dance, music, and singing to her more studious sister. She also seemed to be by herself more than Joohyun who made friends.

 

“Irene?” Joohyun calls out to her sister. “Why don’t you come sit with me and some of my friends?”

 

The younger twin looks up from her musical book. “No, those are your friends.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

Irene nods and says no more. As Joohyun heads over to her friends Irene hears one of them mention to Joohyun that she is weird.

 

“Hyun, why’s your sister so weird?”

 

“She’s not!” Joohyun defends her. “My mommy says she has different interests, leave her alone.”

 

Irene smiles some. Joohyun was a nice big sister for the most part. That didn’t mean she wasn’t tired of sharing a room. They are 10 now, and still their parents won’t let them get their own rooms. Maybe, soon. The teen years continued to enforce those differences. Joohyun would proudly show of her grades to their parents.

 

“All A’s again, Hyun!” Mrs. Bae smiles and hugs her daughter.

 

Irene rolls her eyes and pours more cereal into her bowl.

 

“I want to be a lawyer when I’m older.” Joohyun says and Irene gags in her seat.

 

“Irene?” Mr. Bae speaks. “Where are your grades?”

 

“Why do you want to see them for? They’re not as good as Hyun’s anyway.”

 

“We would still like to see them, Irene.”

 

“Oh, would you look at the time. I’m about to be late for a date with my bed, bye.” Irene gets up with her bowl of cereal and heads to her room that is finally hers. It took 15 years but finally she has space to call her own. The Bae’s sigh and turn to their eldest daughter.

 

“Sweetie, please go talk to her. You’re her sister maybe she’ll listen to you.”

 

Joohyun nods and goes upstairs to her sister’s bedroom which is down the hall from her own. The older twin knocks on the door. There’s no response at first.

 

“Irene?”

 

“Go away, Hyun.”

 

“Irene, can I please come in. I just want to talk to you?”

 

Irene groans and gets up to open the door. Joohyun hardly ever comes to her room unless invited. Irene doesn’t really want anyone in her room. Joohyun sees that she’s painted recently and the walls are a deeper purple. She has shelves against the wall that hold her music albums, and space for her plushies too.

 

“You still have this bunny?” Joohyun says in amusement as she tries to pick up the pink bunny. She has a white one similar. They used to have a lot of similar toys. Now, they are really just two different people.

 

“I liked that bunny.” Irene says as she lies down on her bed.

 

“I still have mine too.” Joohyun then asks if she can sit too. Irene shrugs and tells her that she doesn’t care. Joohyun is really worried about her sister. She doesn’t know when this rebellious stage will end, but she hopes for Irene’s sake it will.

 

“Mom and Dad are worried about you.”

 

“Mom and Dad don’t care about anyone that’s not you.”

 

“Irene?” Joohyun says in surprise. “That’s not true. They love you.”

 

“No, they don’t.” Irene thinks only doesn’t voice it. The next thing she feels is Joohyun pulling her into a hug. She resists at first but soon hugs her back.

 

“You’re my sister, Irene and I love you. I’m worried too.”

 

“I love you too, sis. But there’s no need to worry about me.”

 

“Okay, I won’t push you now. You know you can talk to me if you need, right?”

 

“I do.”

 

Joohyun hugs her again and starts to leave but notices a flier for dance club at their school. She knows her sister is a very good dancer. She just didn’t know that she was going to join the club.

 

“You’re joining dance club?”

 

Irene nods. “You have boring things like chess, and I have fun things like dancing.”

 

Joohyun laughs. “Chess is not boring. It’s full of strategy where you never stop thinking, and plus the look of defeat on your opponent's face never gets old. It’s not for everyone.”

 

“No, just brainiacs like you, Hyun.”

 

“Hm,” the older twin smiles. “Maybe, so. Hey, how about we go for ice cream later, my treat.”

 

“Sure, Hyun. That sounds fun.”

 

“Okay, I’ll see you later, Rene.”


 

For years their parents thought they were close just different in their interests. But in those final years of HS something seemed to shift within the sisters relationship and they didn’t know why. Irene was spending more time out with her dance club friends. Joohyun was in the midst of applying for colleges. The Bae’s asked Irene one evening what she wanted to do with her life.

 

“Irene, are you looking into schools?” Her mother asked.

 

“Sort of, but I just want to go to an art school.”

 

“Sweetie, that’s not really ideal for your future. What do you think dancing will do for you?”

 

To them Irene was still in some rebellious stage. She was 17 and in an effort to create distance between herself and Joohyun. She dyed her hair purple, mostly to have no one call her Joohyun by accident. She was out if she wasn’t at home in her room almost all the time. In short, the Bae’s were worried about her more so than ever.

 

“We can’t all be as smart as Joohyun.”

 

“We don’t want you to be like Joohyun. We know you’re a smart girl, Rene. You just do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter