Chapter 1. Welcome to Camp Pop

Camp Pop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Camp Pop; The Story

Story & Screenplay by Byun Baekhyun.

Narrated by Byun Baekhyun.

 

Once upon a time there was a wealthy magical idol land (still called Korea) that was divided between two large kingdoms. Kingdom SM and YG.

The two idol kingdoms could never get along. Their animosity had crept up to the hearts of all the living people in the land. So much that people in each kingdom did not awknowledge the other and always tried to avoid one another.

Every fall each kingdom would always have a similar event known as Camp Pop. It’s originally a one week of festive learning and performing art, especially music and dancing.

Camp Pop was usually reserved for the elite and selected people. Ranged from art scholars to kids from wealthy families. In SM, there was a clan called EXO who kind of ruled the kingdom.

It was the fifth time for the EXO clan to participate in Camp Pop. Truthfully, the nine princes were getting bored.

Baekhyun: There has never really been something exciting happening in Camp Pop.

He had no excitement at all when their car arrived at the venue.

The princes settled in to each of their chambers in the smaller castle (though by ‘smaller’ it could accommodate at least 200 people) in a forest. Usually they would hang out in their own rooms until noon, then get lunch together and take a walk in the woods (mobile phones were not allowed in Camp Pop). However there were some things a bit different this year. Yixing has been assigned to be a teacher for general dancing classes, while Jongdae for a vocal class. Jongin also signed up to be an assistant teacher for a contemporary ballet class that just opened this year at Camp Pop. So the three of them would probably spend less free time with the other princes.

Junmyeon: Sehunnie, weren’t you offered to be a teacher in the fitness and health class?

Asked the Guardian Prince aka their leader aka their group’s mom as the six of them gathered for lunch.

Sehun: (Nodded) Yeah but I turned it down. I don’t want to be bothered.

Chanyeol's eyes scanned the large dining room.

Chanyeol: Hmm mostly same faces but I do see some unfamiliar ones.

It was not a secret that most royal and noble families sent their daughters to Camp Pop in hopes of merging with the EXO clan.

The situation was chaotic at the first year the EXO clan participated in Camp Pop. The princes were mobbed and never left alone during the whole week therefore the SM Kingdom made a strict rule involving punishment to whoever dared to harass them.

That was why all they received now were curious and excited glances, and whispers or murmurs of adoration from here and there.

Sehun: As long as they don’t bug us, I’m fine.

Baekhyun: Yeah I don’t want to be surrounded by those big buffy bodyguards anymore.

Minseok: Aah come on Sehunnie, maybe there is one girl out here that is suitable for you.

Sehun: Not. Interested.

Chanyeol : (Looked at Minseok) Maybe you can find one at your university, hyung.

Minseok and Jongdae were pursuing a higher degree in a foreign university.

Minseok: Hmm I’ll take a look once I’m over my break.

Sehun: No need, hyung. Thanks. You all can follow Kyungsoo’s hyung’s steps if you want.

The only one to be involved in a relationship aka betrothed by his parents was Kyungsoo. He had a fiancee named Kim Sohyun who was a daughter of a noble family who lived abroad.

Junmyeon: Yeah this lucky dude, pfft.

Kyungsoo: I don’t even know her yet.

Baekhyun: You’ll grow to love her. Besides she’s very pretty and nice. From what I’ve seen and heard at least.

The manliest man out of all the EXO Princes looked like he was giving this a thought.

Kyungsoo: I think she is more than agreeable. She has a very pretty smile.

Chanyeol: (Rolled his eyes) Some fancy words to say you like her, huh.

Kyungsoo just shrugged.

After lunch, the six of them strolled into the woods as part of their routine here in Camp Pop.

Sehun: We always go a bit further every time we step into the woods huh.

Chanyeol: (Nodded) We always discover something new, eh. Like rare plants and stuffs. I hope we can find interesting animals this time.

Kyungsoo: This is our second time exploring the north east part of the woods.

Junmyeon: Too bad Yixing, Jongdae and Jongin couldn’t join us this time.

Minseok: Well we still have 7 days left. I’m sure we can explore the woods again together.

Sometimes they would stop here and there just to examine a rock or a plant, even chase squirrles. It was probably a very mundane thing to do, strolling in the woods, but the princes love their carefree time enjoying each other’s company while surrounded by nature. They didn’t even realized that a few hours had pass by.

Baekhyun: Guys do you hear that? I think I hear the sound of rippling water…

Kyungsoo: We’ve never come this far.

They walked out from the cool shades of the trees into an open ground. A huge lake glimmering in the sun light welcomed them.

Junmyeon: Wowwwww we finally found the lake!

They’ve heard about a lake existing in a deeper side of the north east side of the woods but never really tried to explore that far.

Sehun: Hmm it’s quite huge but not as big as I imagined it to be.

There was a wooden gazebo on the middle of the lake that was connected by a wooden bridge.

Kyungsoo: The bridge came from the other side of the lake.

Baekhyun: Shall we check? We can just go around it.

They all nodded then started to walk when a sudden appearance surprised them.

Person: Hiiiiiii Princes!

Minseok: (Clutched his chest) Oh my God! Please don’t startle us like that.

The person he was addressing to smiled.

Person: Fancy meeting you kids at this side of the forest.

Junmyeon: (Tried to be polite) Annyeong haseyo, Jaesuk-ssi.

Yoo Jaesuk was the groundskeeper of SM’s castle and the surrounding land, but the truth was he’s not even a citizen of SM Kingdom. He was also not part of YG’s. He’s a neutral. Some even said that he was actually a wizard who wanted a secluded life and lived hidden somewhere inside the woods.

But even a recluse needed money to live so that’s why he accepted SM’s offer to take care of their castle and land here. Nobody knew the woods more than him.

Jaesuk: Annyeong haseyo, Princes. Where are you heading to?

He was actually a kind and gentle person–not at all how a recluse should be, but the rumour of him being a wizard and a bit crazy has spread to the city since before the princes were born, therefore they always kept a distance due to the image.

Chanyeol: We wanted to see the gazebo.

Jaesuk: Hmm…

He was looking at the gazebo with an unreadable gaze.

Jaesuk: As a keeper of this land and also the land across there, it’s my duty to inform you that you’ve actually reached the border of SM and YG’s Kingdom. So please bear that in mind if all of you still wish to continue exploring the area.

Six pair of eyes widen at that fact. All of the princes gasped.

Baekhyun: WHAT? If we go there that means we’ll be in YG’s territory??

Kyungsoo: We’re actually that close to YG??

Jaesuk nodded.

Jaesuk: Well the truth is that this lake, including the gazebo is a neutral area. It means that SM or YG’s rule doesn’t apply here. The lake is the border. So feel free to walk near the lake, if you wander off a bit in that other side then you’ll be entering YG’s territory.

Junmyeon: (Frowned) So there is such a thing as a neutral area?

Baekhyun: How do we know we’re not in YG’s territory even if we walk near the lake? I mean, is there not a sign or calculation we can use as a guide?

Jaesuk just shrugged.

Jaesuk: It’s all about feeling.

The princes looked at each other with the same thought. See he’s weird.

Jaesuk: I swear you’re the only ones who love exploring all parts of the woods. I never met anyone else who likes to venture deep into it.

Then he looked like a realization hit him.

Jaesuk: (Mumbled incoheresively) Hmm no. I’ve met others too actually.

The princes couldn’t catch his words.

Chanyeol: (Awkward laugh) We know, haha. We’re really carefree when we’re here.

The so called wizard just smiled while fixing his glasses.

Junmyeon: So… I guess we better head back to the castle? Look at the sky, the sun is almost set.

The princes all agreed then bid goodbye to Jaesuk.

Baekhyun: I got chills everytime we meet him! He’s not even scary but he just gives out the vibe.

Said Baekhyun as they were already a few meters away from the lake.

Minseok: I think we’re already brainwashed with his reclusive weird wizard image since we were kids. He doesn’t look like a bad guy.

Sehun: Do you guys think it’s true? That he’s a wizard I mean. I kinda think he is because the woods were never scary for us. On the contrary, the feeling of entering these woods is peace. And calm.

There was also a rumour that one of his duty as a land keeper is to banish ghost or unknown entities, even dangerous animals. And he did all that with his magical power.

Junmyeon: I guess we’ll never know. Unless we ask him directly.

The six of them shivered imagining that scene. Eventually they moved to other topics to fill their journey back to the castle.

---

It was dinner time and the nine boys were reunited again.

Baekhyun: Guys! How did it go with your teachers’ preparation meeting??

Yixing, Jongdae and Jongin looked at each other.

Yixing: It was… a bit confusing.

Jongdae: (Nodded) Yeah. Boy, do we have something to tell you!

Chanyeol: (Excited) We also have something to tell you! You’re gonna be surprised!

The three teachers gave a weak smile.

Jongin: So will you guys when you hear the news.

Sehun: Huh what news?

Yixing: There’s going to be an announcement anyway after dinner. Might as well hear your story first while we’re eating.

The other six hid their curiosity then told them their afternoon adventure in details.

Jongin raised his eyebrow.

Jongin: YG huh?

Jongdae: What a coincidence…

Baekhyun: What are you guys talking about??

Chanyeol: Yeah and why is your reaction so lame??

Yixing was about to reply when the head teacher took a microphone and stood at the center of the room.

Yunho: Kids, I’m sorry to interrupt your dinner but I’m sure most of you have finished eating by now. I have an important announcement to make.

He went silent, waiting for all of them to give him their full attention.

Yunho: There has been a change in the schedules. Also the classes. And not just that…

He cleared his throat.

Yunho: From tomorrow onwards SM’s Camp Pop will merge with YG. That means you will attend classes with YG students. Also learn lessons by their teachers.

The room was in an uproar.

“SEONSAENGNIM! HOW COULD WE???”

“OH MY GOD BE IN THE SAME ROOM AS YG PEOPLE??!”

“NOOOOO I DIDN’T SIGN UP FOR THIS.”

The six princes were also in shock.

Chanyeol: (Looked at Yixing, Jongdae and Jongin) DUDE, WHAT???

Sehun: Is this for real????

Junmyeon: This is outrageous.

The mega super handsome Yunho sighed before clearing his throat again.

Yunho: ALL OF YOU CALM DOWN!

The room fell silent. Nobody wanted to see Yunho’s wrath. He was the eldest of the sacred Dong Bang Shin Ki clan and everyone in SM Kingdom respected him highly.

Yunho: (Looked really firm) You may not know but there has been a talk for peace for almost a year now. Both kingdoms has tried to keep it quiet. We were thinking of ways to connect, and this Camp Pop was one of it. We believe that the idea of peace may be easier to be received by those who are more open minded, aka the younger generation. So for one week, I need you all to disregard the old values or mindset of YG that we knew, and try to learn in a clean slate. From tomorrow, there is no such thing as an SM or YG pride. We. Are. All. Neutral. Understand?

A few said yes but the rest looked at each other with doubt.

Yunho: I said, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

All: Yes Yunho seonsaengnim!

Yunho: Good. Let me add this; If I hear a story or even a whisper of one of you guys saying or doing inappropriate or uncivilized action to those YG kids (Squinted his eyes)… I myself will apply a punishment. I WILL NOT forgive those who will disdain our Kingdom’s name.

The people in the room felt a shiver but then Yunho smiled sweetly as if he didn’t just threaten them.

Yunho: So no class for tomorrow yet. The class schedules will be put up tomorrow morning in the lounge area. And the teacher’s committee, by this I mean from both SM and YG, thought it would be more fun if you guys meet in a more informal way. That’s why tomorrow night there will be a masquerade ball where everyone will dress up and wear a mask. That way you can all blend in comfortably without regards of where you came from.

Kyungsoo: So THAT’s why this year we had to pack a suit.

Chanyeol: Informal way, but a masquerade ball where we have to wear formal attire. Okay.

Minseok: What about the mask though?

Yunho: You each will receive a random mask that will be delivered to your room tomorrow morning.

Baekhyun: Oh… Okay.

Yunho: I can’t emphasize much on how important this year’s Camp Pop is. I advise you all to be open and welcoming. This shall be a small step towards peace. Now I will let you enjoy some free hours before bed time. Good night, kids.

They replied his greeting while clapping their hands.

Jongdae: Peace huh… But we were never at war actually.

Junmyeon: But we were never friends too.

Jongin: But I like the way things are right now. It’s not… complicated.

Baekhyun: (Nodded) Why do I have a feeling our lives are about to get complicated?

No one knew that his words were about to come true.

---

He twisted and his bed. Baekhyun tried to sleep for the last two hours. He really did try, but his mind was wandering off so bad that sleep wouldn’t come even when his eyes were closed.

He sat up. The light of the full moon peeped into his room from the window where the curtains were not closed properly. The clock on the wall showed that it was 45 minutes to midnight.

After zoning out for a few minutes, he grabbed his night robe then got out of his room.

He strolled along casually in the woods. Sehun’s words suddenly came inside his head.

Baekhyun: Is Jaesuk-ssi really a wizard? Really uses magic to protect these woods? I mean, it became a habit of mine to have a night walk whenever I can’t sleep here and so far I’ve never encountered anything weird…

He was walking aimlessly but eventually his legs led him to the lake.

Baekhyun: Ahh I think I’m unconsciously curious with this place.

He was casually looking at the gazebo when he saw something there. His heart stopped for a second then he hid behind the nearest tree.

It was not something, it was someone.

He peeked behind the tree.

A girl in a white sleeping gown under her black night robe. At first glance it looked like she was just sitting and gazing at the lake, but he now noticed that she was actually playing with her dog on her lap. She had long dark brown straight hair, cat-eyes like, and quite a petite frame.

The longer he stared at her, the more captivated his heart was.

Baekhyun: She’s really beautiful…

He just stood there watching her. Sometimes she would scold her dog and made a cute face, Baekhyun would smile. Sometimes she smiled and laughed at her dog, Baekhyun would smile too.

He wondered what she was saying to her dog, wondered what her voice was like.

Then her crystal clear voice filled the night sky as she half hummed and sang a song unknown to him.

Baekhyun thought she had a lovely voice. He unconsciously put a hand over his heart. He thanked the wind for carrying her voice to him.

The girl twirled her dog as if she was dancing with it, then walked away slowly from the gazebo.

Baekhyun wanted to follow her quitely but realized that she was walking towards YG’s territory. He gasped.

Baekhyun: She’s a YG??

He watched her figure disappeared before walking away from the lake. Her image and questions filled his mind.

Baekhyun: How can I see and meet her again if she’s a YG??

Then he just remembered that Camp Pop now was a joint camp with YG.

Baekhyun: What are the odds, eh… Now I’m really looking forward for tomorrow.

His steps were more light as he neared the castle. A small smile appeared on his face.

He knew he was going to have trouble sleeping, especially with the song she sang stuck in his head.

Baekhyun blamed the beautiful mysterius girl.

---

The next morning they all gathered at the dining room, eating their breakfast.

Yixing: Guys, don’t forget to register for your preferred classes after this. You have to choose wisely because you’ll need a permission to change class if you don’t like it halfway.

Chanyeol: (Raised eyebrows) Oh so now we need permission to change classes?

Jongdae: (Nodded) Joint class remember? Each class will have a main teacher and an assistant or two, and they will be either from SM or YG, or even from outside the two kingdoms.

Baekhyun: And how about the classes? Where are we having them? Our castle? Theirs?

Minseok: Yeah how will that go?

Jongin: You can read the announcement in the main hall while registering to your classes.

Sehun: We have three teachers here, I want to know now.

The said teachers sighed.

Yixing: We’ll take turns every day. First day at SM, second day at YG, and so on until the seventh day. The east wing is being cleared for the YG students’ resting place.

Jongin: For the masquerade ball, YG is hosting this year.

Junmyeon: (Raised an eyebrow) So it’s going to be an annual thing huh?

Jongdae shrugged.

Jongdae: We’ll have to see how this joint thing goes.

They examined their friends around them.

Chanyeol: Well everyone looks anxious.

Baekhyun: And excited.

He felt the same too, though mostly excited for the chance of meeting his lady by the lake.

Ten minutes later they arrived at the main hall, most of the SM students were already buzzing around the registration table.

Baekhyun: (Tapped fingers on his chin) Hmm….

Kyungsoo: There’s a few additional classes too huh?

Jongdae: (Nodded) Yeah. Go take the new classes. Since we’re still in an experimental stage, maybe next year some of them won’t come out.

Jongin: Also a class will be dismissed if there are less than five students registered in it.

They checked the list of the available classes.

Chanyeol: Wow there’s a Story Telling class? I’ll take that one.

Baekhyun: Can we drop out from a class?

Jongdae: I think so. It’s entering a new class halfway that is quite difficult.

Baekhyun was trying to choose classes with his lady by the lake in his mind.

Baekhyun: Should I just sign up for all classes? It’s safer that way. My chances of meeting her will be really high.

Kyungsoo: (To Yixing, Jongdae and Jongin) Are you allowed to take some classes?

Jongin: Yeah. We’re still counted as students too.

In the end, these are the classes the EXO Princes signed up to:

Drama class = Junmyeon, Kyungsoo, Minseok, Baekhyun

Story telling class = Chanyeol

Guitar special class = Chanyeol

Piano special class = Chanyeol, Baekhyun

General dance class = All

Contemporary ballet / hip-hop class = Baekhyun, Sehun

Poetry class = Sehun

Craft class = Baekhyun, Junmyeon, Kyungsoo

Vocal class = All of the EXO Princes were obligated to take this class

Drawing class = All of them signed up for fun

Cooking class = Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Minseok

Fitness & Health class = Everyone except Kyungsoo

Eight people were looking at Baekhyun in an odd way.

Chanyeol: Dude, you signed up for all of the classes!

Jongdae: Except Poetry, Story Telling and Guitar class!

Yixing: I’m also weirded out that Sehunnie signed up for Poetry.

Sehun: I want to get in touch with my inner poet. Did you guys forget that was my goal when I was five?

Everyone ignored those two and focused on Baekhyun.

Junmyeon: Dude, it’s impossible! What if you have two classes at the same time???

Baekhyun shrugged.

Yixing: Well actually this year we’re not going to have two classes scheduled at the same time. But the classes are going to be longer, and the recess between them is only fifteen minutes long, except for the night classes.

Jongdae: (To Baekhyun) Dude, you’ll be worn out.

Baekhyun: I’ll just drop a few that turns out to be less interesting.

Sehun: Do absence count?

Yixing: No, not really since this year it’s a trial for the whole Camp Pop system. But it will still be noted while not be the up most priority, of course.

Jongdae: But every student must join minimal of six classes, like I told you earlier. Except for teachers, there are no minimum or maximum limit for us.

Baekhyun: Ha then I’m over qualified.

Jongin: Baekhyun hyung’s pretty ambitious this year huh.

Minseok: Yeah what gives?

Baekhyun: Hope.

They looked confusingly at him.

Junmyeon: Let him be. Let him be.

Then the boys made a bet on how many and what classes Baekhyun’s going to end up in the end.

---

After lunch, they did their own activities to kill time before the masquerade ball.

Jongin and Sehun went to the gym, Jongdae and Minseok went to the library, Yixing and Chanyeol hung out and had music sessions, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun watched a movie at the theater room in the castle.

Meanwhile, their guardian…

He just received news from his messenger from home. It was something that he had waited long in vain. The moment he heard the news he ran out of the castle, looking distressed.

Junmyeon decided to take a walk in the forest. He really didn’t pay attention to the surrounding as his mind wondered a bit chaotically.

He mumbled to himself.

Junnmyeon: Could it be the messenger got it wrong? Third time…. This is the third time…

He stopped under the shadow of an old oak tree. He took a deep breath and…

Junmyeon: (Yelled) WHY IS MY MARRIAGE PROPOSAL REJECTED AGAIN, PRINCESS IRENE????? WHYYYYYYYYY~~

He really liked Princess Irene from the Black Velvet clan. He would delude himself thinking he loved her while deep down he knew that the reason he wanted to marry her was because of the label by the people and his kingdom that they were ‘appropriate’ for each other. Still, it didn’t make the third rejection less hurtful.

Junmyeon grabbed his hair then kicked the tree. To his surprise the tree yelled ‘HEY!” at him. Junmyeon staggered away from the tree with a look of disbelieve and shock. Suddenly an apple fell to his shoulder and landed a few centimeters from his feet.

Junmyeon: (Touched his shoulder) Ouch!

He looked up to the tree and his heart stopped for a moment.

On one of it’s sturdy branch sat a girl who was eyeing him annoyingly.

Girl: Don’t kick the tree like that. What has it done to you, huh?

Junmyeon was too speechless. The girl with the long black hair was so beautiful that he thought she may be a ghost (or even a fairy!) at first. But then she climbed down from the tree swiftly and came face to face with him. She only wore a hoodie and trainer pants, face free of make up, but he was still in awe of her whole presence.

Junmyeon: She’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter