Magnets

Her Favorite Mistake

Seulgi was starving, and she really wished the briefing would end soon.

She’d leave for Rome in a week, for the World Science Championship, with her team members Seungwan and Joohyun.

Miss Soonkyu, their science teacher, also the patron of the school’s science club, would accompany them to Rome.

“I sent the schedule approved by the headmaster to you via Kakao” Ms. Soonkyu continued.

“The competition would take three days, and we’d have three days in between to explore Rome. During this trip, Seulgi would be accompanied by the school’s photographer team members, because we’re going to take your pictures during the competition and in Rome.”

Seulgi sighed and looked down.

The headmaster, who had always highly favoured her, would take her pictures to promote the school. Her face would be in the school’s magazine and banners. It actually made sense, because she’s making their school famous, and not just because they’re the most expensive highschool in the country, but also because the school had her, the young genius who won the National Science Olympic and would represent the country in the global level.

Her team members Seungwan and Joohyun were great as well, but Seulgi was the only one who got accepted into Cambridge University. They all “only” got accepted to SKY universities.

“I really don’t see why I can’t just take the picture here. It’s so excessive to have the school’s photographer team to join us. I mean, don’t they have better things to do?”

“What’s more important for the photography club members to do than making exclusive pictures for the school’s magazine?”

Seulgi couldn’t reply to that.

“Besides, I think you’ll be very comfortable with the photographers. You know them well.”

“I’m not close to many students of this school.”

“I’m sure you’re close to them. You can come in now.”

The three students turned to the classroom door and Chanyeol walked in with Sehun.

Seulgi still waited for the photography club members, even bending her back in the effort to look behind the two tall boys.

“You can stop looking. They’re the photographers for our trip.”

“De???” she exclaimed.

Ms. Soonkyu nodded patiently.

“But, Sonsaengnim! I know they’re not members of the photography club!”

“We are” Chanyeol grinned.

“No, you’re not. You’re a member of the basketball club and he’s not a member of any clubs at all!” Seulgi pointed to Sehun.

“Well, we just registered.”

“When?”

“This morning.”

“But—“

“The photography club will hold an exhibition next week. So they don’t have enough members. They were really glad when Chanyeol and Sehun registered. They also generously offered to go to Rome with their own money.”

Seulgi looked at Chanyeol with her eyebrows raised.

Generous? For going to Rome with his own money? He could buy a new plane just for the trip if he wanted to.

“Sonsaengnim. I don’t think this is wise.”

“Waeyo?”

“They will leave school for a week just for me? I really can’t accept that.”

“Don’t worry. Their teachers will give them lots of homework. They will barely miss anything at all if they submit all the homework.”

Why do I have a feeling that I’ll be the one helping him make it?

Seulgi admitted defeat and stopped trying to change the science teacher’s mind. It would be useless.

************************************************

They walked together to the cafeteria, Sehun, Seungwan and Joohyun behind them.

“I can’t believe what you did just to escape school for the whole week.”

“My brother would find no reason to beat me up if I go there with an assignment from the school. So, jajang! I’m your photographer.”

“The final exam will start directly after we return, have you forgotten?”

“How can I, when you study for it everytime I look at you?”

“You haven’t studied enough” she accused.

“I’m not an obsessed student like you. And even with my studying habits like now, I’m pretty sure my grades won’t fall from the top 100 students.”

“So sure of yourself” Seulgi grumbled.

“What about your basketball practice?”

“What about it? Am I gonna forget everything just with a one week absent?”

“There’s no reason for you to go to Rome! It’s my problem, not yours!”

Chanyeol stopped walking.

“I have no reason? Are you kidding me?”

Sehun rolled his eyes.

“I’m going to go ahead” he announced, walking first to the cafeteria as Chanyeol stopped Seulgi from walking further.

Seulgi knew what kind of confrontation he’d bring up, and retreated to the wall.

“Why don’t you want me to go? Speak up, Seul.”

“I just—you don’t have to go away to another country to—“

“Accompany you?”

She didn’t want to say those words, so she folded her hands in defiance, her white gold engagement ring mocking in her own hand.

“Why can’t I go?”

“You don’t have to trouble yourself.”

Chanyeol looked at the ceiling for patience, his hands on his hips.

Three months after their engagement, despite how Chanyeol spent most of his free time to be with her, Seulgi still wanted to play the “we’re just good friends” game. Usually he let her, because that’s what made her comfortable, but to miss the chance to see her competing in Rome, after he saw how hard she prepared for it day and night? Not a chance.

“It’s not trouble. I want. To go.”

There she went again.

Whenever Chanyeol acted just a little closer, she’d panic and refused to look at him.

“You’ll miss school for a week.”

“I don’t care.”

“I care. I don’t want you to miss school.”

“Sonsaengnim told you already. I’d have to finish lots of homework for the missing classes.”

“Your brother won’t let you go.”

“Aniya. He said I can go after knowing the teachers will give me a pile of homework, because that means I won’t miss anything from the classes.”

“Studying on your own and with teachers in classes are different.”

“So? There will be you. If there’s anything I don’t understand, I can always ask you.”

Seulgi finally looked at him.

“I’m going. You can’t stop me.”

They had a staring contest for a while, before Seulgi finally gave up, and headed for the cafeteria.

Chanyeol chuckled. Her back looked angry.

****************************************************

After queuing for the food, Seulgi and Chanyeol sat with Sehun and their other ten friends. They always took the longest table and ate together.

At first, Seulgi couldn’t stand how noisy they were. But Chanyeol insisted she had to learn to socialize more with humans, not just animals. He also convinced her that though a bit crazy, they were all nice guys.

“So you’ll go with him to Rome?” Baekhyun asked Sehun.

Sehun nodded with a tortured expression.

“We’re suddenly members of the photography club as well.”

“Mwo? Wae?”

“Chanyeol needs a reason to go there. And they’re going to put Seulgi-ssi into the school magazine.”

“I see.”

Seulgi and Chanyeol sat at the end of the table, while Baekhyun and Sehun sat at the middle.

“They’re really fun to watch” Baekhyun exclaimed, as Sehun sighed heavily in front of him, but also turning to the couple.

They were indeed something.

The first time Seulgi sat with them, they all tried to make her talk, asking her lots of questions. And she cut it with, “I don’t really like talking. Can I just sit here and listen to you guys talking to each other?”

Really one of a kind.

But the boys liked her eccentric ways. She’s so genuine.

And they knew very well that Chanyeol was in love with her, so they took care to never talk bad about her in front of him. Not that there was anything bad about Seulgi to talk about anyway.

It’s just that they knew that Chanyeol had begun dating since he was in junior high. Played too much with girls in his last year of junior high and first year of high school.

But since he liked Seulgi, he’s been like a general on a target. So focused. And he never got bored with her, a first with a girl. Chanyeol used to feel bored with one girl only a month after he started dating them.

They also liked how Chanyeol became a better guy with her. His grades rose from around 200 rank to 87 rank, and gradually grew higher and higher.

Definitely the effect of Kang Seulgi.

As Chanyeol talked to Yifan, Seulgi was busy helping Chanyeol dissect his omelette from pepper. He couldn’t eat anything spicy, and had asked Seulgi to take all the sliced pepper from his omelette.

She did it readily without protesting.

When her green tea ran out, Chanyeol gave her his own glass, which was still full.

She drank it without commenting.

All the while, their matching white gold rings were a reminder of their status.

“They’re really cute” Baekhyun commented.

Sehun was looking at them as well.

“They never do skinship in public, but they acted like a married couple. Although Seulgi doesn’t know that.”

“Chanyeol is her friend, full stop. Let her live in her own bubble.”

“.........if she gets pregnant in Rome, that would be a really unique friendship.”

Sehun turned to him and shot him an “are you crazy” look.

“What? I know Chanyeol would want some.”

“Seulgi-ssi would keep rejecting him until doomsday. Or until they legally married, whenever that is.”

Baekhyun grinned, “Don’t underestimate Chanyeol’s persuasive skills.”

Once they finished lunch, Baekhyun and Sehun watched how Seulgi arranged all their empty bowls neatly and Chanyeol was the one who brought them to the empty plates desk.

“Update me from Rome” Baekhyun said.

The ten friends and Sehun had a special chat group without Chanyeol, just to gossip about the two.

“I’ll need to vent my frustration.”

Baekhyun patted Sehun’s shoulder.

“Stay strong! You can do it! And if it gets too much, you can always smack Yeol’s head with your sneakers.”

“I wish I could do that” Sehun replied, getting up and carrying his own tray.

**************************************************

Seulgi was assigned a seat beside Seungwan on the plane en route to Rome. Joohyun with Ms. Soonkyu. And Sehun with Chanyeol.

However, when Seulgi was going to sit with Seungwan, Chanyeol held her wrist.

She asked with her eyes, “What do you want?”

“You’re sitting with me.”

“That’s not what arranged.”

Chanyeol gave Sehun a look and he promptly sat beside Seungwan.

“Is there something wrong?” Ms. Soonkyu asked.

“Nothing, Sonsaengnim” Chanyeol replied, nudging Seulgi to sit by the window.

Not wanting to create a fuss, Seulgi sat down, Chanyeol following beside her.

To Rome, then.

***********************************************************

She armed herself with a book about historical places in Rome.

He played games in his phone.

She then read a novel, and he ate.

After dinner, she got up, patting him by the shoulder to give her way.

“Toilet?”

“No, I want to take a walk. I’ve been sitting too long.”

“I’ll go with you.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I want to.”

They then walked to the economy and walked back and forth.

When they returned to their seats in the business class, she said she had to see Vatican on their free days.

“The queuing lines are so long, right?”

“We can buy the free pass tickets.”

“Ah. I’ll tell Sehun to buy those.”

“Thank you” she smiled.

He blinked.

Her smiles were a little rare, so when she actually smiled, he’s always mindblown.

“Shall we play this?” she asked, opening an online monopoly game.

He instantly agreed and opened the same game in his phone.

*****************************************************

Their hotel, Palazzo Manfredi, was next to the Colosseum. So although the girls had no time to go sightseeing yet, they loved the location.

Seulgi stayed in a room with Seungwan, and slept early, because the World Science Competition would start early the next day.

The first half of the day was doing written exams.

Their team passed easily.

After lunch, it was time to build a science project from scratch.

They had practiced many times to build their own chargeable battery fit for cars. The time limit was four hours, and they always finished it in three hours and 45 minutes.

Chanyeol wasn’t joking when he said he’d take pictures the team. He bought new professional cameras for himself and Sehun, then took pictures of the team ever since they arrived and during the competition. Although Sehun was more objective and took pictures of Seungwan and Joohyun as well.

The boys also brought mineral water and sandwiches, also fruits and biscuits.

Seulgi was the type that had to be forced to take a short break during a science experiment. It’s an exhausting effort because for the past two years, whenever Ms. Soonkyu, Seungwan and Joohyun reminded her for break, she would only answer with a “Yes, thank you. Later.”

Park Chanyeol was more effective.

“Stop. Now. Or I’ll pour water on this machine building.”

Seulgi would always glare angrily at him, but when Chanyeol opened a bottle of water and prepared to pour it on her precious machine, she snagged the sandwich in his hand and gobbled it up in one go.

Then she choked, and drank the water he offered.

As she choked and Chanyeol brushed her back, Joohyun said to Sehun, “He’s useful. We never thought of doing that to Seulgi.”

“He knew her better than anyone.”

“I can see that.”

Sehun offered another sandwich to Joohyun and she accepted it politely. After all, she’s Junmyeon’s fiancé, and Sehun promised the said Student Council president to take care of his secretary during the trip.

******************************************************

“You don’t have to stay with us all the time, you know. You can just take a few pictures at the beginning and have fun outside with Sehun-ssi.”

“That would be betraying the school’s trust.”

“What trust? You fund your own trip.”

“My job is to take your pictures during and after the competition.”

Seulgi decided it would be useless to argue further, and Chanyeol grinned at that.

****************************************************

The second day was having a competition against teams from other countries.

The first round, they fought students from Ghana and Sweden.

When they won, they faced the teams from Thailand and Turkey.

The third round was with Holland and South Africa.

Finally the fourth round was with Singapore and U.K.

The competition was answering questions (verbal and written).

The team was exhausted during dinner time, but they won and would enter the semifinal the next day.

“One more day then we’ll go around the city.”

“And Vatican the next day” Seulgi added.

“Vatican, right. Hang in there.”

“I will. I am.”

He patted her back and she resumed eating her mashed potatoes.

*************************************************

“Are you ready to win?” Chanyeol asked the next morning.

“Winning would be too much. Maybe we’ll get the second or third place.”

“You’re not ambitious, Miss Kang?”

“I just want this to be over, Mr. Park.”

“Just one more day. Then we’ll be a tourist.”

“Right. I can do this.”

It was cliché, but after two rounds of competition with India and The. U.S, and finally with Japan and Indonesia, Seulgi’s team won.

The three nerds did an uncharacteristic jumping and screaming, cheering and crying. There were lots of hugging and “Chukkae” and pictures taken.

Afterwards, there was an official ceremony where they stood on stage, receiving the winners’ ribbons, trophies, certificates while the South Korean national anthem was played in the background.

The girls cried again, while Ms. Soonkyu kept on saying, “I’m so proud of you!”

Chanyeol waited by the stage with a bouquet of flowers.

He’s so proud of her, he couldn’t even speak.

She knew he was waiting, and came to him carrying her huge trophy, certificate and wearing her winner’s ribbon.

For a few seconds, she stood a few steps above him on stage, and he stared up at her.

She never liked cheesy words anyway.

“Wanna have some gelato to celebrate?”

She beamed.

Which was completely unfair, he thought. She’s blinding.

“Definitely. I’d love that. I think too much for three days, my blood sugar level must be low.”

“Let’s go?”

She stepped down the stage.

He gave her trophy, certificate and winners’ ribbon to Sehun for safekeeping, then held her hand out the hotel’s lobby.

The sunshine was so bright outside, Seulgi had to cover her eyes with her hand.

With her right hand. She let Chanyeol held her left.

***********************************************************

The next day, the team went onto the bus tour of Rome and took pictures at the famous Piazza Navona fountain. Lunch and dinner were delicious and original Italian pasta and pizza, with lots of gelato in between.

The day after that, they went to Vatican, which was a dream come true for Seulgi. Her expression was full of awe and amazement, safely captured in Chanyeol’s camera.

All the pictures Chanyeol taken of her during the trip would be enough to make ten photobooks, Sehun thought, but he said nothing.

On the last day, they went to see a piano recital.

She stood at the edge of her seat, barely breathing. It was an incredible performance.

The evening was free.

Seungwan and Joohyun went shopping with Ms. Soonkyu and Sehun.

Seulgi said she wanted to just stay at the hotel.

They decided to try the hotel’s best offer. Dinner at the restaurant’s balcony at sunset, facing the Colosseum.

“You’re supposed to choose your meals, not staring at me.”

Chanyeol grinned.

Seulgi always avoided looking directly at him when he’s in a cheesy mood, which was strangely often.

“Should’ve brought my camera” he said regretfully, “Or I could just take it.”

“Don’t be silly. Just sit down and admire the scene. It’s breath-taking.”

“I am admiring the scene” he said.

She fully knew he was looking at her and not the sunset or the historical building beside them, so she kicked his leg.

His “Ouch!” was when the waiter arrived with the buns and cream soup.

“God. It’s delicious” she uttered.

“Do me a favour, stand there and let me take a picture. It’s sunset.”

She turned at the direction his finger was pointing. The railings directly opposite the Colosseum.

“Wouldn’t it be backlight, though? I’d just appear as a black silhouette.”

“Just please do it”

Seulgi got up and stood holding the railing. The Colosseum was behind her and the sun was setting around them.

Chanyeol stood in front of her with his phone ready.

“Seul, undo your hair.”

“Shiro.”

“Yah, Kang Seulgi. Do it.”

“No.”

“We don’t know when we’ll be here again. I want this picture. Come on, be nice.”

Because she wouldn’t, he came forward and reached her hair, untying her hair and smoothing it down her shoulders, before walking back and took the pictures.

The wind was blowing and her hair flew gently with the breeze.

He then changed to recording a video.

“Seul, this is a video. Where are you now?”

“I’m at Palazzo Manfredi. It’s really beautiful.”

“What did you just win?”

“The highschool World Science Competition.”

“Chukkaeeee!”

“Gamsahamnidaaaa.”

“What’s the best part of this trip?”

“Besides winning the competition?”

“Ne.”

“Visiting Vatican. We did it yesterday. It was amazing.”

“And?”

“And the food is fantastic here. I’d visit again just to eat.”

“And?”

“And....there’s this annoying guy as tall as a totem pole who keeps tagging along.”

Chanyeol chuckled.

“I’m starving” Seulgi announced, and returned to their desk.

*************************************************

He invited her to come to his room, and she somehow agreed.

At first, they played cards.

But when she lost three times in a row, he practically pulled her to his arms.

“Kiss me.”

She laughed.

“Come on, you lost.”

“So? I’ll buy you dinner. For a month or something.”

“I can afford my own dinner. For as long as I live.”

“That doesn’t mean I have to kiss you.”

“Yah. I followed you all the way to Rome and take your pictures for a week.”

“I never asked you to!”

“We haven’t kissed since our engagement day, Seul.”

“I’ve no problem with that.”

“I have.”

“Then it’s your problem, not mine.”

“I’ll be in the top fifty ranks for the final exam.”

“Really? How?”

“I’ll study hard.”

“Can you, really?”

“I’ll basically do anything.”

“For?”

“For this” he said, his eyes flowing to her lips.

“Ahrasseo.”

His eyes widened, but he’s not going to waste the chance.

He put his lips on hers.

She blinked.

He changed his angle and pecked her lips many times.

“How many kisses can buy a place for you in the top 50 ranks?”

“A lot” he answered, holding her waist and kissing her again, his tongue tasting the surface of her lips.

He pulled away and saw her face.

A blushing Seulgi got to be the prettiest Seulgi.

He then put his forefinger between her lips.

“Open up” he asked.

The next time he her lips, she opened up.

He pressed her body onto his and devoured her.

There’s a sense of unreality. It took a lot of waiting from him to finally have her like this.

She’s trembling and jittery and he loved her all the more for it.

“Saranghae.”

Her eyes flew opened.

She’s somehow already lying on the floor. The cards spread beneath her.

She felt light-headed, by her scientist brain could form an appropriate response, despite having Chanyeol looming above her, his breathing ragged.

“You’re too young to say you love me.”

“I’m not.”

“I’ll take it with a grain of salt.”

“I’m not going to change.”

“Really? We’ll separate for college. You’ll meet other girls.”

“I’ll live with you in Cambridge. I’ll apply for Anglia-Ruskin University.”

Seulgi stared up at him in shock.

Anglia-Ruskin was basically in Cambridge city as well.

“I have it all figured out. I’ll study hard and take extra English lessons in twelfth grade. Apply for Anglia-Ruskin. Then live in Cambridge with you.”

She hated herself for wanting to cry there and then.

“Are these tears for me?” he asked gently, thumbing her tears, which she couldn’t help but shed.

“Will you really do it? Follow me to Cambridge?”

“You can’t stop me, you know.”

“I haven’t done enough for you, Chanyeol-ah. You’re always doing too much for me.”

“Hey, you wear this” he reminded, her ring, “That’s a lot already.”

“You won’t be alone in college, Seul. I’ll be with you.”

How could he know? That his presence had become a habit for her, a comfortable blanket. She had stopped having nightmares of her parents’ death ever since they were together. And that the fear of going all the way alone in Cambridge, for years, without him, not knowing whether he finally lost interest for her or not, was a looming fear she’d been trying to fight in the recent weeks, silently.

“I’ll never leave you alone, remember?”

Her tears fell and he kissed them away.

When he kissed her again, she hugged him back.

She hugged him tight.

***************************************************

Author’s Note:

I guess the latest comment for this fic touched my heart and made me finally wrote this fic again.

I hope this chapter was not boring.

Because this Seulgi and Chanyeol are like this in my head. She’s a real introvert and he’d forever try to break her defence walls.

I hope you get how he’s a better guy with her, and how she actually felt safe and happy with him.

I’m not ambitious with this fic, and I know this is not a popular pairing at all. But I like this fic nevertheless.

If this update got at least five comments, I guess I should find the energy to sit down and continue writing this.

Thank you for reading and not forgetting this one.