Vows

Her Favorite Mistake

Choi Haelmoni was awake when Seulgi entered the VVIP room, obviously waiting for her. The hospital room was everything a luxurious hotel would be, except for the bed and other tools necessary for a hospital.

To all these Seulgi was blind. She could only see her grandmother, propped up on the lifted bed.

Seulgi’s tears dropped the second she entered the room. When she reached her grandmother, she was blinded by the wetness in her own eyes.

“Haelmoni, haelmoni!!! I thought you’re going to leave me!!!”

“I’m sorry, Child. I’m sorry.”

Seulgi broke into a loud cry.

“I’m sorry. You must’ve been so afraid. Haelmoni is sorry. It’s this old body, you see.”

It was a strange scene, to put it logically. A 74 year old woman asking forgiveness to her granddaughter, because she had a cardiac arrest and nearly died.

But in Choi Haelmoni’s world, it was the right thing to do. Seulgi lost her parents and tried her best to die and follow them in the past. They all worked so hard to raise her as stable as she could be, but whem Choi Haelmoni nearly died, it nearly destroyed Seulgi’s world.

“You did give me quite a fright, though.”

“Mianheyo, Haelmoni. I was only trying to help him.”

“Look at me” the grandmother asked.

Seulgi was crying while putting her face on the bed.

Hearing the request, she lifted her head and looked at Choi Haelmoni.

“What is this Park Chanyeol to you, Child. Tell Haelmoni the truth.”

“He’s – he’s a friend, Haelmoni. I just want to help him.”

“Do you realize what you’re doing? Engagement is no simple matter, Child. Once it’s formally announced, you’re tied to him.”

“I know. But ten years is a long time, Haelmoni. We might not marry at all. We could change our minds later. Still, Chanyeol needs help. And I want to help him. I really do. Because he helped me enrolled into Cambridge.”

“Really? How so?”

“He gave me a recommendation letter from a very famous Vet in the country.”

“Ah. Well. It can’t only be because of that one letter. It’s your hard work all these years that finally pays off.”

“He will be in a lot of trouble if I don’t appear with him tomorrow evening, for his company’s party.”

“Do you really want to do this?”

“Yes.”

“Will you be ready with the consequences?”

“Yes.”

“......I’m not really sure you understand how heavy this could be. But most importantly, does he treat you well?”

“Yes. I’m not friends with Yeri anymore. It’s so lonely. Chanyeol is a nice friend. It feels less lonely with him.”

Her grandmother was silent for a while, looking lovingly at Seulgi. She wanted to wipe Seulgi’s tears, yet she had no strength to lift her own hand at the moment.

“Very well. If that’s what you wish. I won’t stand in your way.”

“Thank you, Haelmoni.”

Seulgi stood up to kiss her grandmother’s cheek.

“If Park Chanyeol is outside, bring him to me. I need to talk to him.”

“You won’t leave me, right, Haelmoni?”

“My dearest Child,” Choi haelmoni answered, patting Seulgi’s hand, “I’ll be around as long as you need me.”

******************************************************

“Would you mind talking to Haelmoni?”

Greeted with the question, Chanyeol merely shook his head.

Before he stepped into the ICU, Seulgi asked, “Are you alright? You’re awfully pale.”

I just found out you nearly died thrice in your childhood. That’s why you’re always different, I guess. Would you mind if I spend the rest of my life making sure you’re alright?

Instead of these words, Chanyeol grinned a little. “Not really fond of hospitals, that’s all. The sooner your Haelmoni recovers, the better.”

“You don’t really have to be here two days in a row, you know.”

“I know. But I want to.”

Seulgi didn’t reply, so he walked into the ICU.

The old lady that sat at Kang Mansion’s sitting room, listening to the explanation he and Seulgi recited two days ago was an elegant, shrewd woman, with an air of a queen. That was how Chanyeol remembered Choi So Hee from his first meeting.

On his second meeting, the lady looked frail and even older, all her strength depleted, and she seemed thoroughly exhausted, as if she walked to the gates of the afterlife and back again. Which, on further consideration, she might have done.

She was awake and waiting for him.

With a raspy voice, and eyes staring right into his soul, she said, “I only need to know one thing, Park Chanyeol-ssi. Are you going to take really good care of her?”

The simplicity of the question carried all her love and pain for her granddaughter.

“Yes. I will” he answered solemnly.

“Do you promise that? With everything that you are.”

“Yes.”

It was easy. So easy. He knew he’s very young and he had his life ahead of him. Promises might seemed like a plaything at his age. But he meant it. He meant it with everything that he was. There was no turning back, and he didn’t think he’d ever want to.

He wasn’t a melancholic boy. But Seulgi made him believed that fate did exist. Maybe. That fateful day when she crossed his way and stumbled upon him one evening, telling him pain shouldn’t be a habit.

Maybe it’s one thing that she often told herself too.

They were so alike, in several principle ways.

“I want to always be with her.”

Choi Haelmoni stared at him sharply for a few second, trying to find lies or bad intentions.

Perhaps she found none. Because she then said, “I believe you. You have my blessing.”

*************************************************

It was raining that evening. The car windows looked like it was crying. Chanyeol watched as Seulgi followed a drop after the other.

“Are you still up to announce our engagement tomorrow?”

Seulgi merely turn to him and nodded.

“Oppa said she’d be there.”

Chanyeol wasn’t surprised. It was a matter of course. Kang Min Hyuk wouldn’t be there to gloat at the success of getting his sister engaged with one of the richest young bachelors in the country. He’d be there to make sure her sister would be treated well, or else he’d fork the said young bachelor’s eye in cold blood.

Or something sinister like that.

“The thing is—“

“Yes?”

“My brother wants to talk to you.”

“......I see.”

“He’ll be decent to you.”

Seulgi chuckled in disbelief.

“I’ll be there” he assured, in hope to make it easier for her.

“He’ll be just another lion to face behind bars. He can be scary and all. But he can’t really hurt me. At least not physically. I’m not his blood. I have a family too. My own brother would sue him if he’s too out of line.”

“Wow. Please do. I’d like to see that.”

“Can’t you try to sound at least concerned that my family might have reasons to sue your brother after our meeting tomorrow?”

“If you sue him, I’m sure it’d be because he deserves it.”

“The less drama the better, though” Seulgi added. “What time should I be ready tomorrow?”

“11?”

“Ahrasseo” she said, wearing her backpack. “Thank you for today, Park Chanyeol. See you tomorrow.”

“I’ll walk you inside.”

“There’s no need. A servant will—“

He took a black umbrella from behind the seats, got out and turned round to open the door for her.

“This is really unnecessary” she exclaimed, looking up at him from the car seat, the black umbrella opened above them.

He hauled her up by holding her hand and led her into the gate.

“Get back inside. Just drive into the porch.”

“Let’s just walk. Fresh air would do us good.”

It’d give us a cold, Seulgi thought, but she didn’t argue anymore. It was raining steadily. Not overly hard, yet the wind made them a bit damp and cold in seconds. It’s a good thing he’s wearing his usual black hoodie over his uniform, since he’s shielding her with the umbrella, making the left side of his body wet.

She wanted him to stop since it felt wrong that he’s treating her like this. She knew it would be useless, though.

“Are you my bodyguard now, or what?”

“I guess I am. My first part time job” he answered. She could hear laughter in his voice, his hand reaching for her arm, protectively pulling her closer under the umbrella.

“I’m fine, Park Chanyeol. Haelmoni will be alright. I’m not going to cry on my own into the night or anything.”

He wanted to tell her this was beyond feeling worried that she’d be sad because her grandmother was ill.

“I’ll just feel better if I walk you to your bedroom door.”

“You’re really too much. Do you do this to all your girls in the past?”

“Nope. With them, I do more. I enter the bedroom door with them.”

That made Seulgi elbowed him in the chest, hard.

“Ow!”

“Serves you right.”

“Here I am being all honest and you just—“

“I don’t need details on your life, you silly guy!”

“My past life, Seul.”

She turned to him, eyebrows raised.

“You don’t have to change yourself for my sake.”

“Or I can continue. My life. With you.”

“............”

They stood there, in front of her mansion’s spacious porch, Seulgi frozen, and Chanyeol looking down at her, waiting for her reaction.

Then she blinked. “YAH, PARK CHANYEOL!!!”

She slapped his shoulder very hard, until his umbrella fell from his hand.

“I’m joking! I’m joking, Seul, aigoo—you need to learn having a sense of humour!”

“Not like this, you idiot!!!”

“Come on, I’ll walk you to your room. And I swear I won’t try entering it. Unless you invite me” he grinned.

She threw the big umbrella at him but he ducked and ran inside.

A servant picked it up and Seulgi walked inside. Fuming.

“Don’t do that. Your nostrils enlarge when you do that.”

“.........I hate you.”

She said decidedly, before climbing a staircase.

He followed.

“No, you don’t. You’re going to marry me.”

“In your dreams.”

“Don’t bet on it, Seul.”

“I forgot how annoying you could be.”

“I can be anything you want me to be.”

They arrived in front of her bedroom.

She looked at the ceiling and rolled her eyes, opening the door.

“You’ll be alright?”

“This is my house, Park Chanyeol. Of course I’ll be alright.”

Where you tried to kill yourself. Thrice. So much for being alright.

“I’ll be here at 11 tomorrow.”

“Ahrasseo.”

“Or earlier.”

“Suit yourself.”

“Sweet dreams, Seul.”

“Just go home already.”

“I’ll text you when I’m home.”

“I don’t need that.”

“You have to reply.”

She narrowed her already slanted eyes.

“See you tomorrow.”

Seulgi entered the bedroom door and locked it.

He wondered, whether from then on, he’d ever feel she’s safe when she’s out of his sight.

**********************************************

Chanyeol arrived at Seulgi’s mansion an hour early. She found her watching the National Geographic channel in her wide and open sitting room, cross-legged and wearing shorts with a t-shirt.

“You’re not dressed yet.”

She didn’t take her eyes off the rolling baby pandas.

“Have you had breakfast?”

“Yup, thanks. Have you?”

She gave a non-committal hum that signalled she already had.

The next fifteen minutes or so were spent in silence. Seulgi was hugging the cushion pillow, chuckling and went “Awww!” every few minutes. She was watching a full thirty minutes documentary on baby pandas rearing in a conservatory in Chengdu, while Chanyeol lied on a sofa and played a game in his phone.

Chanyeol then saw her dialling number one on her speed dial.

“Oppa?” she called, obviously talking to her brother. “Can you ask your secretary to find the bank account of a conservatory in Chengdu? They take care of pandas. Yes. I want to donate to them. Yes. As soon as she can, please. Yes. Gomawoyooo.”

Five minutes later, she received a text message from her brother’s secretary with the bank account of the conservatory.

She hopped excitedly another couch and made the transfer.

“So this is what you do in your pastime?”

Seulgi looked up, as if she just realized he was still there.

“Ne. I do this from time to time.”

“Ok.”

It was 10.30.

Seulgi got up.

“How dressed up should I be?”

“Just wear something formal.”

“Ok.”

She appeared fifteen minutes later in a long-sleeved ivory silk shirt and navy formal pants. He had never seen wearing shoes that were not sneakers. She wore high-heeled black shoes for the occasion. The biggest shot to his gut would be seeing her with her hair down, past her shoulders, and reaching the middle of her belly.

She never wore make up to school except a thin layer of powder and lip balm.

She wore lipstick that day.

“........wrong outfit?”

He was staring, apparently.

“Should I change? I thought this was alright.....” she said, peering down at herself.

“I’m glad Hyung is married.”

“Sorry?”

“If he hadn’t, he might snag you instead.”

Seulgi burst to a laughter.

But he didn’t join it.

He was still staring at her, his eyes scanning her from top to toe. There’s that look again. The look that made her felt several different feelings. At that moment, the main one was the wish to run away and to cut it short, before it expanded to something she couldn’t handle.

“Let’s go, then.”

Chanyeol knew she didn’t want him to say what he wanted to say, so he didn’t, although the words were knocking his mouth.

Seulgi put on her headset and listened to her music in the car, pretending Chanyeol didn’t throw her a glance every two minutes.

****************************************************

“If he do anything, anything at all that—“

“I’ll be alright” Seulgi assured. “He’s just a human, Park Chanyeol, not a monster that can kill us.”

“I’ll be here.”

With that, Seulgi left Chanyeol and opened the doors to Park Ji Hoon’s office.

“Ah. Kang Seulgi-ssi.”

She had seen the man from news over the years. Cutting ribbons of new ventures, donating a huge sum to a social cause and supporting big events.

Park Ji Hoon would fit the role of heartless prosecutors from the crime dramas Yeri loved to watch. Sleek, good looking and devoid of emotions.

That was how she saw Park Ji Hoon.

Speaking of Yeri, that made her remembered that this man was the one who ruined her friendship.

“Good afternoon, Park Ji Hoon-ssi”

She bowed. Because she was raised well and knew her manners.

“Please sit down. What would you like to drink?”

“Water would do, thank you” Seulgi replied, walking to the leather seats and sitting down on one, directly in front of the richest man in South Korea. The man’s each second worth millions of won, to be honest. Seulgi wondered what business appointments and schedules he needed to cancel to have this meeting with her.

“With ice?”

“No, thank you.”

Park Ji Hoon got up, poured water from a jug into a glass, and put it in front of Seulgi. The jug and glass were made of crystals.

“So, your engagement with my younger brother would be announced this evening.”

Seulgi said nothing to that. She found answering that unnecessary.

“Shall I go straight to the point, Kang Seulgi-ssi.”

“Please do so.”

“What’s your motive?”

She couldn’t help it. Her eyebrows were raised high.

“I want to help a friend.”

“How noble. This –“ he waved his hand, “is not a mere favour. You are tying yourself to a young man in a formal engagement which would be globally announced. Do you really intend to marry him in the future?”

“I don’t know” she answered honestly.

It was Park Ji Hoon’s turn to raise his eyebrows.

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“Park Chanyeol is the one who said he’s interested in me. His interest was—annoying, at first.”

“Oh, really?”

His tone was laced in obvious disbelief, and she considered to do the good old fashioned “throwing water in the face” move, but decided against it.

“Really. But over these few weeks, he proved to be a kind friend. I am repaying his kindness by entering this engagement with him.”

“..........do you expect me to believe that you attach yourself to my brother out of friendly affections?”

“As hard as it was to believe, Park Ji Hoon-ssi, it’s the truth.”

“Indeed. You must forgive me, it’s my duty to second guess everything. Especially a decision as big as this. It might be easier to believe if you’re, ah....., as wealthy as us, but—“

“Not everything is about the money.”

Park Ji Hoon widened his eyes in surprise, before he smiled and shook his head, “What a child.”

“I take it you disapprove of me?” Seulgi challenged. This man was getting on her nerves, and she thought she wouldn’t be able to stand him any longer, so she shot right at the main problem she thought they were playing at.

“Give or take a few degrees, yes.”

“Who do you approve, then?”

“Someone better. Someone who has the same amount of inheritance and capitals like Chanyeol has.”

“Is there any? Unless maybe you scout a rich heiress from China or Dubai, and make your brother be miserable all his life.”

“And do you think you could give him a happy life.”

“He obviously chooses me.”

“That’s a bold statement. You sound ambitious now.”

“I don’t want even a cent of your money.”

“Whatever you say, if you entangle yourself with my brother, every cent of his money would be your right as well, at least fifty percent of it. And that, as we both know, is a huge sum.”

“If being engaged with me could ease his suffering, if he doesn’t have to accept anyone you choose, and force himself to be with a stranger he hates, I’ll do it.”

“And I’m supposed to believe that this is all just because of friendship. A kindness exchanged. You have no ambition to splurge on our assets once you marry him.”

“He might change his mind. Or I will. I don’t know. We’re not twenty yet. It might even be a decade before I start to think about marriage. And a lot of things could happen until then. But yes, Park Ji Hoon-ssi, believe it or not, I said yes to your brother because he’s been a kind friend to me.”

“We must agree to disagree, then.”

Seulgi told herself it was rude to throw that hateful face with the glass of water.

“I have one more topic to raise.”

“What’s that?”

“Why be a vet, and not a proper doctor?”

“A vet IS a proper doctor.”

“No, it is not. I could easily switch your scholarship in Cambridge, from Veterinary to Medical school. Study properly, then maybe when you really marry my brother, you can manage our hospitals.”

She could feel anger practically rise along her spine.

Breathe.

“I refuse.”

“What if I say, if you insist being a vet, I’ll reject your marriage plan?”

“Then I won’t.”

“Be a vet?”

“No. Marry your brother.”

Ji Hoon chuckled, his hand waving cynically.

“And leaving the chance to have fifty percent of his assets?”

“It might be hard for you to grasp, but being a vet is my lifelong dream. Nothing and no one in this world could stop me from studying Veterinary and becoming a vet.”

“But then you’d be no use for us.”

“So be it. Because unlike your pompous assumptions, not everyone on this earth think your family is more important than anything else. And I, for one, definitely do not think so.”

“How emotional.”

Seulgi realized she was already standing.

“As expected from a daughter of someone who committed suicide.”

She finally threw the water at him.

And the crystal glass to the wall-to-ceiling window.

“I’ve never been – this insulted –in my entire life!!!” Seulgi screamed, unable to control herself anymore.

“For me, your family’s name and wealth is as unimportant as those glass shards on the floor. You’re nothing to me. Nothing!!! You just love to torture your brother physically and mentally. It’s your family’s rule to be engaged before twenty years old, and when he managed to fulfil your tradition for once, you can’t stand to ruin it! You’ve announced the event, and he’ll be the one most mortified if it’s cancelled. I swear, in the name of my parents, if you dare humiliate him tonight, I’m going to make him leave your family! I’ll be the one who’ll fund his life! I’ll make him not a “Park” anymore! And we both know, he’ll listen to me! For shame, Park Ji Hoon-ssi, he’s your own flesh and blood! Your brother! Start treating him like you should be!”

After yelling all of that, Seulgi marched to the doors.

Chanyeol stood up abruptly.

But she was too angry to talk to anyone, and continued marching to the elevators, deaf to Chanyeol calling her name over and over again.

The elevator doors closed when Chanyeol reached it, and Seulgi went down by herself.

***********************************************

“What did you do, Hyung???”

Chanyeol stood near the doorway, already thinking of the worst.

He saw Ji Hoon casually drying himself with a handkerchief.

“Did she--?”

“She did.”

“You must’ve done something that’s out of line.”

“I’m afraid so.”

“If she cancels our engagement because of you—“

“She better not. As far as I’m concerned, she passed my screening test to be your fiancé with flying colors.”

Chanyeol gaped, too shocked to appear respectable.

“What do you—“

“She better be ready at our home at 5 PM for hair and makeup. The party starts at 7 PM sharp.”

“So you—what, approved of her?”

“Yes. Doesn’t mean she approved of me, though.”

Chanyeol narrowed his eyes.

“She’d hate me for a long time, but it’s not as if it’s something new. She refused to study medicine, of course. But I’m sure if there’s anyone who’ll make sure you stay at the right path, it’s going to be her. You better watch out and keep her.”

Chanyeol was quiet for a long time.

“Huh. Even you’re impressed, right?”

“Damn right” Ji Hoon admitted. “For the first time in your life, you’ve made the right choice. Now get the hell out of my face.”

Chanyeol left without looking back. If he did, he’d see Ji Hoon smiling at his retreating back.

*************************************************

Would it always be like this, Chanyeol wondered.

Would I always fear you’d leave me?

His heartbeat was far too fast to be healthy. He knew that Seulgi was raised to behave well, to be courteous to her elders. She wouldn’t storm out of Ji Hoon Hyung’s office if he wasn’t way out of line.

Thanks to his preventive move a few weeks ago, he already saved the number of Seulgi’s driver. The ahjussi told him Seulgi was at the city’s zoo.

Other girls might go to the mall to de-stress. Seulgi went to the zoo when she needed to let off some steam.

Further chat with Seulgi’s driver on the phone informed him that she was at the farm, a part of the zoo set like a farm where they had cows, horses and sheep.

Chanyeol made his driver drove him there. Then he saw her, silently watching the calves. It should be calming for her. He imagined that it would be one of those favourite scenes for her. But no, her expression was tense. She was still furious, just trying to calm down by being there, standing behind the wooden fence.

He silently walked to her, standing beside her and saying, “I’m sorry about my brother.”

Seulgi whipped her head and stared at him.

“You found me” she said dryly, before turning back and resuming her observation of the calves.

“He must’ve said something really terrible to make you this angry.”

“He sure did.”

“I’m really, really sorry for that. I wish you didn’t have to face that.”

She heaved a heavy sigh.

“Your brother is an incredibly evil man.”

“I know. I wish I could change that.”

“As long as we’re engaged, I’d have to see him from time to time.”

“Yeah. I’ll do my best to not let you be alone with him ever again, though.”

She waved a hand to dismiss the idea.

“Don’t protect me from him. It’ll make him feel that he’d won.”

“He kinda likes you, though.”

Seulgi snorted disdainfully.

“He hates me. He’d love more chances to degrade me in the future.”

“He said you’d be able to lead me to “the right path”” Chanyeol said, the corners of his lips lifting to a smile.

“Unbelievable.”

“Hyung tends to test the people he likes. It amuses him.”

“Is that why he beats you from time to time?”

Chanyeol tensed.

So did she.

The question snapped out of her so coldly.

“I’m sorry” Seulgi hurried to say, “I’m—I guess I’m way too carried away by your brother. I shouldn’t have said that to you.”

Chanyeol exhaled, deciding to let it go. Of course. He’d always end up forgiving her.

“It’s alright. You just faced a demon. It’s ok to be—a little mean.”

The last word was unnecessary, but it slipped out of his lips anyway, making her flinched.

“I’m so sorry. I’ll buy you lunch.”

“Nah. I should be the one buying you lunch.”

“You’re not the only one who owns a credit card, paid by a brother.”

Chanyeol chuckled at that.

She smiled back, leaning onto the wooden fence of the farm.

He knew they had forgiven each other from the slips of unnecessary words.

“You can buy lunch, and I’ll buy the rings.”

Her face became blank for a few seconds.

“Rings? What rings?”

Chanyeol raised his eyebrows. “People who are engaged usually wear rings.”

“Oh. That. Right.”

“We need to put the rings on each other’s hands. Tonight. At the party, in front of the press. Hyung’s secretary said so.”

That was really going to happen that night, huh?

Seulgi let out a shuddering breath.

“I guess we have to, then.”

“Uh huh. And at 5 PM, you need to be at my house. For hair and makeup.”

“.........You don’t think it will take two hours, right?”

“I don’t know. We’ll have to see what happens. But I figure since we don’t have anything else to do, we should just follow the schedule and be nice.”

“Chanyeol. We are already nice. It’s your Hyung who is not nice.”

It’s the first time she called him just by his first name, and he felt he could fly. Just 10 inches above the ground.

“I agree. But let’s pick our wars wisely. We won’t pick a fight with him when it’s not that important.”

“Ahrasseo.”

“So.....shall we have lunch?”

Seulgi nodded and walked to him.

They walked side by side afterwards, to the parking lot. It was a bit far, but the weather was nice. Plus, the girl that filled his mind was beside him. He had no reasons to complain.

“Why do you want to be a vet, though, Seul? Not a usual doctor? I’d like to know that, if you’d tell me.”

“Because animals don’t leave us. It’s us humans who leave them.”

It was a very naive reason, but it dug deep into his heart.

After all, he too, felt like he was being abandoned by his parents from time to time. Although they died not because of their own will, but still.....he wished they were strong enough to live and raise him.

“Healthy animals mean a safe world. A world where there’s a lot of goodness and hope. And animals bring joy.”

He said nothing for a while.

“Are those enough reasons for you?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you approve of my chosen path, Park Chanyeol-ssi?”

He knew she was half-joking, and that made him laugh again.

They both knew she’d persevere, with or without his consent.

But he indulged her.

“Yeah.”

He then cleared his throat and stood up straight, as if they were standing in a formal party.

With his most serious tone, he stated, “Yes, Kang Seulgi-ssi, I approve of your chosen path.”

She laughed.

She really, truly laughed with all the mirth that bubbled up into his eyes.

“Gamsahamnida, Park Chanyeol-ssi” she replied, bowing low to him.

He had the urge to pull her into his arms. She’s a sunshine. And he wanted her warmth to seep into his heart.

Instead, he bowed back just as low.

*********************************************************

Her love for animals made Seulgi a vegetarian. They went to a hanshik restaurant in the middle of the city, a famous one that catered to the taste of the older generation but also appealed to the younger ones with all their fusion menus.

They of course had vegetarian menu as well, and they ate in comfortable silence.

He liked how she always eat well, not dieting unnecessarily, like his past girlfriends.

He also liked how she never commented on his mostly carnivore taste, though she never touched any meat herself since the first time they began eating together at school.

They went to a jewel shop afterwards.

He let her chose, but she said she never knew much about jewels.

He then realized that he had never seen her with jewels, unlike the other girls from their elite high school, who always wore a set of jewels wherever they went.

“Just take your time and choose something that you like.”

So, in a very Seulgi-like manner, she just marched to the shop assistant and asked for a couple of plain white gold rings.

The shop assistant led them to a glass display cabinet, where plain bands were shown. Seulgi chose a pair that was the simplest.

“Would you like to engrave them?”

“How long will it take?”

“Around an hour.”

Seulgi looked at Chanyeol and he nodded.

He gave the lady his card and she swiped it.

After picking the ones that fit their size, they left the shop to return later.

They walked around the mall for the next hour.

Somehow, they ended up in a figurine shop, where Chanyeol spent the time admiring Marvel’s figurines.

She didn’t push him to finish faster and take her to shop for clothes, unlike his previous girls. Instead, she sat on a couch there and watched a reality show with her headset on.

I could get used to this, he thought, finding that he was very happy just to be there with her.

When they returned to the jewel shop, their rings were engraved with their names and engagement date, which was that day.

Chanyeol carefully carried the bag all the way to the mall’s lobby, where his car and driver waited.

They ended up watching the reality show together on her phone, all the way to his house.

When they arrived and she calmly entered his house, they found Sehun approaching them.

“The hair stylist is ready. She’s waiting at the guest room you stayed last time.”

“I don’t think I remember the way.”

It was indeed a huge mansion.

They walked her there.

As the door closed, Sehun turned to Chanyeol, his expression half-amused, half-disgusted.

“You’re grinning like an idiot.”

Chanyeol beamed.

“We bought engagement rings” he announced proudly, showing the velvet box to Sehun.

Sehun opened it and observed the rings with mild interest.

“I’ll keep it. I’m your ring bearer anyway.”

“But—“

“I’ll keep them. Or else you’ll drool over them. Go and shower or something.”

“You’re no fun.”

“And you’re pathetic. What did she make you do? Eat from her hand?”

“I’d love to.”

“You’re disgusting” Sehun concluded warily.

“I’ll make myself look presentable. Take care of our rings!”

Sehun rolled his eyes at him, watching Chanyeol nearly skipped to his own bedroom.

***********************************************

He didn’t know how a blushing future-fiance should be, but he was sure a normal fiancé who would be soon engaged to a prince charming would be sitting cross-legged in a couch, high-heels discarded on the floor, and watching National Geographic like her life depended on it.

She was drinking something from a Styrofoam cup with a straw.

“Is that milkshake?”

“Ne. Sehun-ssi gave it to me. He said I’ll need the sugar.”

“How attentive of him.”

Chanyeol walked around the couch and sat on the coffee table in front of her.

“You’re going to break it.”

“If I do, we can afford another one.”

She smiled a little at that, her eyes back to the elephants on the screen.

He knew she was avoiding his eyes.

“Don’t say it” she warned, “I don’t want to hear it.”

They both know what he wanted to say. Apparently, it was too much for her.

She was looking exceptionally beautiful, although Chanyeol hadn’t had the privilege of seeing her full face.

She was wearing a short dress made of white brocade, with puffed sleeves. Her hair was curled to soft waves. She had a Swarovski headband on, and her high-heels seemed like they were adorned with Swarovski as well.

Chanyeol had sent Seulgi’s picture to Yura, his sister, and she had sent the dress, shoes and headband the day later.

My stylists will be there to dress her up, she had texted.

Chanyeol thought letting Seulgi wear wings on her back wouldn’t be too much as well. She was looking completely angelic.

His phone vibrated then.

“You guys are expected at the party. Now.”

“Is it time?”

“Yep.”

Seulgi turned off her beloved National Geographic channel and wore the sparkly high heels. She looked like she was wearing diamonds on her feet.

It fit her, actually.

She’s like the angel of light appearing in his house.

A very nervous angel of light.

“It’s going to be alright” he tried.

“I hope so.”

She walked away first, and he followed.

They walked silently to the middle part of his mansion. Through the hallways and paintings, they said nothing.

They saw Sehun talking to someone.

Kang Min Hyuk.

There to accompany his sister.

Chanyeol knew he was there not because he wanted to gloat that his sister got engaged to the richest heir in the country.

No.

He was there to make sure his precious sister would be treated well, and would punch anyone who dared do otherwise.

“Oppa!”

Seulgi beamed, running to him.

He didn’t know she could run in high-heels, but ran she did.

“Whoah. Uri maknae is looking amazingly beautiful!”

She giggled.

Of course. It’s ok if his brother said it, but not when it’s Chanyeol.

“Hold up. I’ll take your picture. Haelmoni must see this.”

She obediently posed, leaning on the mahogany railing.

“Yeppeuda!”

The siblings then take a picture together.

“It’s time” Sehun reminded them.

Chanyeol nodded, before Sehun called the MC. “They’re ready.”

“Please welcome, Park Chanyeol. The second son of Park family.”

Chanyeol walked down the marble staircase on the right, Sehun behind him.

“We are very pleased to announce, on this 35th anniversary of Park Corporations, the engagement of Park Chanyeol to Kang Seulgi.”

As informed before, Seulgi knew a video of her profile was being played at the huge screen below.

“They met in school. Kang Seulgi is the daughter of the late Kang Hee Jun and Song Yoona. Their family owned seven successful hotels across Seoul, Busan, Jeju, Sokcho, Daegu, Suwon, and Ilsan. Kang Seulgi is the smartest student in her class. Her group won The National Science Olympic and she will go forward to the worldwide competition in a few months. She is accepted in Cambridge with a full scholarship based on her astounding academic achievements and her philanthropic nature. She will study veterinary and preserve the world’s decreasing population of animals. Her interest include saving the earth for future generations, literature, language and music. She speaks fluent English, plays piano and spends her free time in school laboratory or in animal clinics.”

“He speaks as if he’s auctioning me.” Seulgi commented, hand on her brother’s arm.

“You can still cancel this” Min Hyuk exclaimed seriously.

“No. I won’t. I’ve promised Chanyeol-ssi I’ll do this.”

Min Hyuk let out a sigh, but he patted her hand in an attempt to soothe her nerves.

“The Park family believes,” the MC continued, “The future union of Park Chanyeol and Kang Seulgi would open a broader path for Park family’s concern in giving more to the world. With Kang Seulgi’s love to nature, we hope Park family would, in the future, be at the forefront of preserving and improving the world for a better future, for the next generations to come.”

Seulgi chuckled beside herself.

The MC made it sounded so great. How easy it was to combine words to sound nice to the ears.

“Please welcome, the fiancé of our Park Chanyeol, Miss Kang Seulgi, accompanied by the sole heir of Kang family and the CEO of Haebaragi Hotels, and also the older brother of Miss Kang Seulgi, Mr. Kang Min Hyuk.”

The music started.

It was Ave Maria by Bach, played on the piano by an expert somebody Park Ji Hoon hired from Vienna.

They had been briefed before.

Seulgi would walk with her brother down the marble staircase on the left side of the grand ballroom. Next, she would bow to Park Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon bowed back then and patted her shoulder. It was an effort to smile at him.

Next, she bowed to Park Yura. An elegant woman in her early thirties who looked like she could be an actress if she wanted. She smiled warmly at her. So warmly that Seulgi had to blink in shock. The smile she gave back was a genuine one.

Then, Min Hyuk escorted her to the stage, Ji Hoon and Yura following them.

Chanyeol was waiting on stage with Sehun.

The stage was round and decorated with colourful flowers on makeshift white pillars. Roses and jasmine, orchid and lilies with lavender chains above them, around the pillars and on the stage floor.

“They will exchange their engagement vows now.”

She found herself standing beside Chanyeol, as Sehun opened their velvet box of rings.

“As my family witness,” Chanyeol began, “I pledge my heart and love to you. I will marry you in the future, at a time we both agree on, and with you, I tie all my happiness and joy, sorrow and sadness. Let us be one, from now on, and always.”

She finally looked at him, and it made him crashed to splinters, before he was made anew.

Seulgi saw his eyes glistened bright and with horror, she realized he would have cried.

Chanyeol took her ring and he put on her fourth finger. The metal felt heavy on her right hand.

When it was her turn, she inhaled first.

 “As my brother witnesses and by the blessing of my grandmother, I pledge – my heart –“ felt dry, as if she was forgetting how to form words. “and love. To you.”

I can’t do this.

I can’t.

This is a huge mistake.

I don’t –

He saw panic in his eyes and the whole grand ballroom-filled with the hushed silence of 1000 invited guests—was going to break her.

It was instinct to hold on to something that made Seulgi reached out her hands.

Chanyeol grasped them in a heartbeat, holding tight.

She prayed for strength.

She wouldn’t run away.

Not when she’d embarrass him.

“I will marry you” she resumed, squeezing hard at his hands, “In the future, at a time we both – agree on. “And with you—I tie all my happiness and joy, sorrow and sadness.”

She paused again.

Inhaling deeply.

“Let us be one” she continued, “From now on, and always.”

Her hand was shaking badly as she put on Chanyeol’s ring on his finger.

She was sure it could be seen in the huge screen.

Everyone knew she was shaking like a leaf.

“You may kiss your fiancé.”

Everyone was very silent again, as Chanyeol held her shoulders.

He saw fear in her eyes, then he bent to kiss her forehead.

She closed her eyes in relief.

She felt herself being hugged tightly.

“You did it, Seul. Thank you so much.”

He kissed her shoulder then pulled away.

***********************************************

After the vows, Seulgi would swear that Park Ji Hoon glared at her. Perhaps he’s angry for because her shaky vows seemed like they were forcing her to be engaged with Chanyeol, therefore embarrassing the esteemed Park family.

Chanyeol, who seemed to sense that as well, steered her faraway from Ji Hoon.

The MC announced that the newly engaged couple would come from table to table to receive everyone’s congratulations and introduce Seulgi to them all.

It was a blur of so many people who looked like they were wearing the most expensive clothes and jewels they could possibly buy. At the corner of her eye, she saw her brother talking with Ji Hoon. From their expressions, it didn’t look like they were having a jolly one.

Chanyel’s hands were usually on her back or around her shoulder. Sometimes pushing her a little, very gently, but nudging her forward, when her heels stepped back from the eager faces who were all smiles and loud greetings, eager to have a word or two with him and her. Sometimes he patted her back, a signal that she’d get through all this noise. But most of the time, Seulgi felt, he was just afraid she would pass out from too much socializing.

It was clear that she would never remember all their names, so she just smiled and answered questions mechanically. Usually they were about how the two met and fell in love, what they loved from each other, what business would they start when they were old enough. Name cards were given from ladies with bright nail-polish. Sehun accepted them all, as he followed them from table to table. After ten minutes, his hands became fuller and fuller with the name cards.

Chanyeol only looked genuinely happy when they arrived at the table of his friends. She knew them. The ten good-looking and rich guys in Chanyeol’s class. Somehow they managed to all be in one class. Possibly bribing the school for that. Or else how could that happened? Usually friends separate in different classes when the year changed.

“Gotta go to the next table, guys. I’ll talk to you at school on Monday” Chanyeol said, steering her away.

“Enjoy the honeymoon!” someone called Baekhyun shouted.

Chanyeol even chuckled at that.

It went on and on.

Her head began to pound.

The voices started getting too loud.

The rich people who all beamed to greet her starting to look like monsters in a nightmare.

Five tables after Chanyeol’s friends, full with beaming ahjummas adorned in blinding jewels, instead of bowing patiently, Seulgi actually had to avoid wanting to close her hands on her ears. But she did stepped back so far, she hit Chanyeol’s chest.

“Ok. I think we’ve had enough” he decided.

“I’m very sorry, Ladies and Gentlemen. It’s time for us to have our dinner at the family table.”

Ignoring the pleadings of them for “just a few minutes!” and the name cards they waved at them, Chanyeol held her hand and led her away, not to the family table, but to the garden outside.

**************************************************

His secretary whispered something to his ears.

“Your sister has run away from the party.”

He was speaking to Min Hyuk, who was sitting on his right, and was talking to Yura.

“She doesn’t like parties.”

“That’s so rude of her.”

Everyone went silent at their table, as the two males finally spoke to each other.

Ji Hoon’s wife looked weary, and Yura’s husband looked tired already.

Ignoring everyone else, Ji Hoon continued.

“Your sister made it looked as if we forced her into this engagement. How embarrassing.”

Min Hyuk stood his ground.

“Well, your brother begged us for her hand. She’s just doing a kindness to your brother, trying to make him fulfil your ridiculous deadline. Forgive her if she’s not exactly jumping at him during the vows.”

“She should be grateful.”

“You’re the one who should be grateful that she’s even willing to talk to your brother. She hates feudal brutes.”

Yura snickered beside him, and Ji Hoon glared at them.

“And I consider a family who brings a respectable daughter into an engagement with their brother without asking formal permission from her family as rude and arrogant.”

“You don’t know your place” Ji Hoon warned.

Min Hyuk raised his eyebrows.

“Who do you think you are? The country’s emperor? For your information, Park Ji Hoon-ssi, I’m not impressed at all by your family’s wealth. I’m here just to make sure people don’t see that uri maknae is getting engaged without her family’s consent. My duty is done for the night. I trust that your brother will drive her home later. Hopefully before midnight.”

With that, Min Hyuk got up, murmured, “It was a pleasure to meet you” to Yura, then with all the audacity of someone who knew his rights and with a clear head, walked away from the party.

Maybe I could destroy their hotels, Ji Hoon thought.

But no, it would look bad if Chanyeol’s fiancé lost her wealth, no matter how meagre that is.

Well, well. We could see where Kang Seulgi’s sauciness came from.

They were not afraid or impressed with him or his family, that’s for sure.

“Resume the music” Ji Hoon said to his secretary. “Ask people to start dancing.”

***************************************************

Seulgi unceremoniously took off her Swarovski high-heels and walked barefooted on the grass, taking deep lungful intakes of breath.

“We’re supposed to have dinner with your family. Then dance.”

“If we spent a moment longer in that party, you’d pass out.”

She didn’t deny it. She just walked further into the mansion’s garden.

It was beautiful in the evening, with the lamps every few metres, the palm trees and the flowers.

She finally looked relaxed again.

“I’m sorry about the vows. I nearly lost my nerve.”

“I’m grateful that you finished it.”

“I’d embarrass you if I ran away.”

“Thank you for staying, then.”

“You’re welcome, I guess.”

They walked for some time in silence, until she spotted the fountain. She half ran to it.

“It’s beautiful!”

The fountain pond was full with blooming lotus in various shades of colours.

The fountain was rather majestic. There were four statues of ladies in hanbok, pouring water from vases. The fountain poured from the vases, giving soft, lulling noises of water falling to the pond.

Seulgi climbed the white edges, and peeked inside the water.

“You’ll fall, Seul. Come down.”

“I’ve never seen a prettier fountain in my whole life!”

“I can build you a replica in your house if you want.”

“Don’t be silly” she said, dismissing the idea with a wave of her hand.

He was only joking. Or maybe not really.

“For your engagement present.”

“I don’t need a present” she replied, beginning to walk on the edges around the fountain.

The Swarovski in her headband glinted under the lamplight.

She looked like an angel.

Or a fairy.

“Our brothers won’t love each other, will they?”

“No. No, I don’t think so. I’ll just be grateful if they don’t kill each other.”

“You’re in a grateful mood tonight” she pointed out.

“Of course I’m grateful. I’m now engaged with the girl I love.”

She turned to him at the last word, and slipped.

She’d fall to the pond full of lotus and gold fish.

But he pulled her down toward him, his hands around her body, and they fell to the pebbled ground.

Her hair was all over him and she was sitting on him.

“Are you alright?” she asked in concern.

“Yeah.”

Even in his own ears, his voice sounded too raspy.

“I’m so sorry. But maybe that’s what you get when you start to say weird things.”

She was going to get up but his arms, his traitorous arms, held her there.

His arms were gentle on her hips. Yet they prevented her from moving away.

Eyes widening, she looked at his face.

His eyes looked too fierce.

“Don’t” she warned.

She couldn’t do that to him. Not then. Not when she’s on his lap, her cherry blossoms perfume filling his lungs, and her long black hair pouring like the fountain, all over him.

Even if he tried, he wouldn’t be able to stop himself.

“Don’t, Chanyeol” she warned once more, trying to get up.

“Yes.”

His hands on her hips, he moved forward and kissed her lips.

It wasn’t their first kiss.

But it’s their first kiss after they were engaged.

It felt a lot more, though he only brushed his lips on hers.

“Tomorrow, Seul, you can continue pretending all you want. That you’re just a friend for me. That I might change my mind and like someone else, marry someone else. That what we did today was just me following my family’s rules. I’ll play by your rules again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. But tonight—“ he paused, catching the breath she’s stealing from him, “Tonight, I can be no one but the real me, Seul. The guy who’s crazily in love with you.”

“You’re so young, Chanyeol-ah” she replied softly, “We’re so young. How can you be so sure that you love me?”

“I just know that I am. I love you. And you’re very beautiful tonight” he said, blurting them all in a quick rush, before she could say “Don’t” again.

“You can continue believing it again tomorrow. You can resume pretending that what I feel is just temporary. Just—let me kiss you tonight.”

“Don’t look at me like this.....” she begged, almost crying. “Don’t say these things to me, Chanyeol, you’re scaring me.....”

“But it’s all true, Seul. I love you. And I don’t take this engagement lightly. I really want to mar—“

She actually stopped his words by cupping her palm on his mouth.

He pulled her hand away, but not letting it go.

“What if I’m not capable for this? What if I break your heart by being emotionally incapable?”

“It’s ok. I’ll wait until you’re ready to return my feelings. You don’t even have to. Just—just let me be always around you.”

She got up then, made herself walked a few steps (her legs strangely had no strength) and sat down on a bench.

Chanyeol followed and sat beside her.

“My world has always been so small, Chanyeol. And it’s always been enough. You’re too—you’re too huge in my world. Everything you say and feel—about me, it’s.....it’s too much. I don’t know how to react to it.”

“Then maybe all you need is time. Time to get used to be with me.”

She turned sideways to look at him.

“How do you feel about me, Seul? Tell me.”

“You’re.......”

“Do you want me out of your life?”

She was shocked with the question.

A few seconds passed as a chill ran down his spine. Would she say yes?

“No.”

“Thank God” he exclaimed with genuine relief.

In a blink of an eye, he was already kneeling in front of her, his arms on the bench beside her arms.

He’s far too close, and breathing too fast, like he’s running.

She wasn’t sure she was still breathing herself.

“Can I please kiss my fiancé?”

She could count his lashes. They were long and kinda pretty.

His face slowly moved closer, giving her the chance to say no.

And she was sure he’d stop if she said so.

But she didn’t.

So Chanyeol pressed his lips on hers.

When he pulled away, she blinked.

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget the way you look tonight. You’re so beautiful.”

She felt her eyes got wet, and he let him kissed her again.

It’s slow and gentle. And she closed her eyes.

When he pulled back once more and saw her eyes were closed, he threw caution to the wind and placed his hands on her waist, before he resumed their kiss.

She flinched when his tongue tasted the contour of her lips, and she grasped onto the fabric on his shoulder.

He gently put her lower lips between his teeth and .

She gasped.

He seized the chance and rolled his tongue inside.

She trembled in his arms.

It made him pushed closer to her.

Chanyeol was entirely lost.

He kissed her like he always dreamed of, holding her tightly to himself, inhaling her breaths and gulping her taste.

Seulgi knew only one thing.

Something she finally admitted to herself.

He made her felt safe and no matter what, he’d never hurt her.

That made her circled her arms around his neck.

He smelled like musk and citrus. And he’s hungry for her.

She gave up everything and let him seized herself into his passion.

When he finally stopped kissing her, he gasped for breath, and so did she. He put his forehead on hers, and together, they fought to even their breathing.

“It’s good that you won’t let me do that often. Or I’ll get you pregnant too soon.”

She pushed his chest away, scandalized.

“Sorry. I’m sorry. I’m—oh, God—“he exclaimed, taking a very deep breath, hugging her and putting his head on the hollow of .

“I better get you home, or I’ll do more.”

“Yah, Park Chanyeol, watch your tongue!”

“What, do you want more of my tongue?”

“Yah!!!”

She could feel her face heating up.

“. Don’t blush on me like that or I’ll—“

He was going to kiss her again but she jumped from the bench and put two meters distance between them.

“That’s enough.”

Chanyeol stood up as well.

“Ok. I agree. But stop there, I’m going to take you home. Safely. Without kissing you at the backseat.”

She took her Swarovski heels and walked away. He chased her.

“Give me that.”

She gave her the high-heels, and they walked side by side, as Chanyeol asked Sehun to bring his car near the fountain.

When the car arrived, the driver saw them holding hands.

The young couple said nothing on the way, though the driver kept glancing at the rear-view mirror.

He had a suspicion that they were still holding hands.

*****************************************************

Author’s Note:

There you go.

I do love them. I think they’re very cute.

I hope you like them too!