It's Impossible

Her Favorite Mistake

Chanyeol successfully got accepted in Anglia-Ruskin university, thanks to his sincere essay and escalating scores since the middle of second grade of high school. He wouldn’t find a scholarship, but would fund his education with his own fund, which was entirely not surprising.

He was really happy because it meant he could spend his college life with Seulgi.

Seulgi was happy as well, because she would have her “best friend” with her in Cambridge Town.

Of course, with less attention, Sehun also applied for Business Administration in Anglia-Ruskin and was safely accepted as well. Park Jihoon already mentioned that Sehun’s education would be fully funded as well, but he wanted to try finding a scholarship.

As the future began shaping itself for the three of them, their third and last year in their elite high school went on.

Influenced by the western culture, their high school would also hold Prom Night, complete with voting for Prom King and Queen. These titles were important for some students in certain social circles. These social circles were those Seulgi never interested in, so she barely kept up with Prom King and Queen election.

There were always three nominees for each Prom King and Queen, either the candidates put their own names, or their friends put it for them.

She knew that Yeri, her used-to be-best friend was nominated, and that Joy nominated herself.

In the course of one year, Yeri had completely transformed to a social butterfly, having her own gang of girls which were entirely different to Seulgi. The fact that she had long moved on from Chanyeol was obvious when she began dating Hanbin, a decent guy from their year, who came from a family that owned a car brand.

Whenever Seulgi passed Yeri in the corridors, she wanted to say hi. But since Yeri always acted as if she never knew her in her life, Seulgi gave up trying to patch up whatever was it that could still be saved.

She felt like she never really knew Yeri. She changed a lot ever since she became popular. She looked happy, though, so Seulgi thought things were as they should be.

Thanks to the previous year’s World Science Competition, Seulgi found friendship with Joohyun and Seungwan, her teammates. They all had the same personalities, so it was comfortable with them.

She began having lunches and dinners with them at the school’s cafeteria. It’s nice to have her own friends rather than always sitting with Chanyeol’s friends, although they were all really welcoming to her.

“Seulgi-ssi, have you heard, Chanyeol is nominated for Prom King” Baekhyun asked from the table beside them.

“Really? That’s no surprise, though” she answered.

“Whoah. Your girl is so chill” Baekhyun said to Chanyeol.

“It’s not her thing” Chanyeol replied, before continuing to eat his pasta.

“Jongin and Sehun got nominated as well. Who do you think will win?”

“Park Chanyeol” Seulgi answered shortly.

“Ohhhh, you have lots of faith in him!”

“He has lots of fangirls in this school, that’s all. Logically, he’ll win.”

“Not that it’s a big deal” Chanyeol added.

Seulgi nodded. “It’s so predictable.”

“Be nice, Seul. Or I’ll nominate you for Prom Queen.”

Seulgi stopped eating and burst out laughing, “That’s the silliest thing I heard all day!”

“Careful, Kang Seulgi, you might win if he really nominates you” Sehun warned.

“Yah, why are you always sitting with them?” Chanyeol asked his assistant.

“They’re a lot calmer than you guys” Sehun answered, waving his fork to the direction of Seulgi, Joohyun and Seungwan.

“It’s not silly, though” Joohyun suddenly said, “You have lots of fans too, Seulgi.”

“Tsk, I don’t.”

“You do!” Seungwan argued. “Ever since you were featured in the school magazine last year!”

“I’m not Yeri or Joy” she denied, waving her hand in an expression of “It’s impossible.”

“She’s the only one who doesn’t know she’s popular” Seungwan told Sehun.

“I know, right?”

“Yah, please, how can I be popular? I’m the same old me!”

“First, you won the World Science Competition.”

“We won it together.”

“But you’re our leader” Joohyun countered, “Then you got accepted in Cambridge. You’re always the first rank in our year since our first year in high school. And you always help any students who are confused with their homework and projects. Do you realize how many girls in the first year say “Annyeong, sunbae” whenever you pass the corridors?”

Seulgi stopped to think about it, “They’re more than it used to.”

“See! You are popular! Plus, do you notice how many more members we have in the science club this year? And they always “Unnie, you’re jjang!” almost everyday.”

“They’re just being nice.”

“Aniya, they’re your fans!”

“Eyyy, I have no fans.”

“You do!”

“I don’t. The dongsaengs are just being polite.”

“Yah, this is what happen when you don’t open instagram. Do you know that everytime you answer a long math problem on the board or do an experiment the video would be uploaded soon? The dongsaengs even put you in their insta stories, with hashtag #geniusunnie on it. Have you never seen it?”

“I saw it” Chanyeol answered from his lunch table.

“I haven’t” Seulgi added.

“You’re popular” Seungwan teased.

“I’m not.”

“Shall we nominate you for prom queen?”

“Don’t be crazy. I’m done!” she announced, getting up with her empty tray.

“Hey, don’t run away!” Seungwan yelled at her.

The topic was getting on her nerves, so she better returned first to her class.

When she left the cafeteria, Chanyeol was already walking beside her.

Since she started eating at the cafeteria with her friends, Chanyeol changed his habit from eating with her to walking her to her class.

“It’s just a joke, right?”

“What is it?”

“Me. On people’s instagram. With that stupid hashtag.”

Chanyeol got his own phone and showed it to her.

“It’s true. Check it out yourself.”

“Never knew my dongsaengs in the science club have so much time. I should give them more work.”

Chanyeol laughed.

“Your fans are not only in the science club. Lots of girls like you. And boys as well. But mostly the girls.”

“They’re joking.”

“They’re not joking, Seul. They really admire you.”

“Why would they?”

“For the obvious reasons. But basically for your biggest achievement.”

“Which is what?”

“Getting me” Chanyeol grinned.

She stopped abruptly. “You are not my biggest achievement.”

“I heard the girls gush over you. “Seulgi unnie is so cool! She could get Chanyeol Oppa!”” he imitated, copying a girl’s voice.

They were in the middle of a crowded corridor, and student stopped to look at them.

“Stop it, people are looking.”

“Your fans. Told you.”

“I have no fans.”

“You do.”

“I don’t!”

“Don’t make me nominate you as Prom Queen, Seul, careful.”

“You wouldn’t dare!!!” she yelled, stomping to her own class.

*****************************************************

Those were the wrong thing to say to Chanyeol.

When she arrived at school the next morning, the first thing she heard was “You’re nominated for Prom Queen!”

She was not the type to fight in public, but Park Chanyeol made her ran to his class, fuming, “YAH, PARK CHANYEOL!!! CANCEL THE NOMINATION!”

“Good morning to you too” he smirked.

“Yah, if you don’t cancel it—“

“You’ll what?”

“I’m going to—“

“Going to what?”

“I won’t speak to you for a month!” she yelled, before leaving his class.

“She wouldn’t be able to ignore me for the whole month, right?” he asked Sehun, as Jong In and Yifan guffawed.

“He seems to be the type that does whatever she plans” Sehun answered calmly.

And Seulgi did, ignore him for three days, making Chanyeol went to school’s admin office, trying to cancel the nomination. Unfortunately, the head admin said he couldn’t cancel the nomination, since the school already announced Seulgi’s name and the voting would begin that day.

He had to give a very large donation to a dolphin conservatory to make her wanted to talk to him again.

“I told you I can’t cancel it. I already tried.”

“........I hate you. Don’t talk to me.”

“Shall I donate to another conservatory?”

Seulgi ignored him again.

After another four large donations, she finally relented and wanted to be picked up from her house and be dropped off again from school by him.

“You’re so annoying. But it’s not like I’m going to win anyway. Don’t ever do anything that I don’t like again.”

“I won’t” he swore. “Just, you know. Buy a pretty dress for the prom.”

“Who says I’m going?”

“You’re not going?”

“Why would I?”

“Come on, it will be fun.”

“For you, maybe. Not for me.”

“Seul, I’m nominated for Prom King. And I think I’ll win.”

“So?”

“Would you have the heart to make me have no partner at prom?”

“You’ll have the prom queen.”

“Yah, don’t make me angry.”

“What? What did I say?”

“Are you just going to not care if I dance with the prom queen all night?”

“.........should I be concerned? You’d just be dancing, right?”

“I’m always the jealous one. You never care.”

“Park Chanyeol. Let’s not be childish” she warned.

“You don’t care about me. You always do this.”

“What? What did I do? Everyone knows we’re together! What more can I do?”

“You always have lunch and dinner with Sehun.”

“Yah, Park Chanyeol. We’re only friends and you know that.”

“I never sit with other girls during school lunches or dinners.”

“I never told you not to.”

“Yah, Kang Seulgi!!!”

“I’m not going to be jealous with stupid, small things.”

“Then what can make you jealous?”

“.......I don’t know. Maybe if you kiss other girls.”

“Really?”

She glared at him, “Why, would you like to experiment, so you’ll see my reaction?”

“No” he smiled.

“Go home now. This is 10 pm already.”

“Go to prom with me.”

Seulgi took a deep breath and stared at her bedroom’s ceiling.

“You’ll make me happy if you go with me.”

She glared at him again.

“Please one thousand times” he tried again.

“You’re so childish.”

“And I love you.”

“Do you think saying that can make me say yes to everything?”

“Seulgiyah........please?”

“Fine!”

“Jeongmal?”

“Yes! I’ll go! Now get out from my room, I want to shower!”

Chanyeol bent down to kiss her forehead, and ran outside, before she threw him with something.

***************************************************

Once Seulgi forgave Chanyeol for nominating her as the Prom Queen, she forgot about it. She knew she wouldn’t win anyway, so it quickly slipped off her mind. The students had one week time to vote for their favourite Prom King and Queen, by filling a card at the admin office.

“Yah, have you voted for me to be Prom King?” Chanyeol asked one day at dinner, in the cafeteria as usual.

“Either I vote for you or not, you’re going to win anyway.”

“But you still have to vote, Seul. How can you not?”

“Stop putting your veggies on my bowl. You need to eat some.”

“Don’t change the topic, I’m being serious.”

“I’m being serious as well, you need to stop hating veggies. How old are you anyway?”

“Vote for me to be Prom King then I’ll try to eat veggies.”

“............I don’t like the word “try.””

“I’ll do my best to eat healthier from now on. I swear.”

“...........really?”

“Ne.”

“I’ll vote for you tomorrow.”

Chanyeol grinned. “I voted for you already. And I asked all my friends to do it as well.”

“I won’t win. I’m sure of it.”

“Don’t bet on it” Chanyeol warned.

“I don’t—“ her phone suddenly vibrated, and she took it from her pocket.

“Oppa?”

“Hm.....an apartment would be enough.”

“........why would I need three bedrooms? Just a studio one would be enough.........Algeseumnida. Neeeee. Ne, ne. Oppa can choose for me, I’m too lazy to see the pictures. Ne. Ne. Gamsamhamnida. Ne, I’m having dinner now. Ne. Annyeong.”

Once she hung up, Chanyeol asked, “Your brother is searching for an apartment for you to say in Cambridge?”

“Ne. I told him I’d rather stay at the dorm, but he said I’d want some privacy. Guess he knows me better than I know myself.”

Chanyeol put down his chopsticks and carefully started, “Seul, I need to ask you something important......”

“Hm? What is it?”

“Seulgi Unnie!” a dongsaeng from the science club called her.

“Ne?”

“We finished our experiment! When you finish your dinner, can you come and see it?”

“I’m done already! Wait, let me go with you!”

Chanyeol sighed.

“Mian, were you going to say something important?”

“Aniya. I’ll ask you next time. Go with you dongsaengs.”

“Ahrasseo. See you later.”

Chanyeol smiled and nodded.

********************************************************

The week after that, they had their final exams as high school students.

A week later, they had the graduation event, where their parents and family attended to watch them performed singing, dancing or a theatrical drama.

A week after that was Prom Night.

Seulgi wore a very simple black dress that reached her knees, a very simple hairstyle, and very light makeup (Seungwan helped her wore the eye makeup). The only extravagant thing she wore were a set of jewels. Kang Minhyuk, her brother, finally managed to coax her to wear a diamond set.

“You go to prom only one in your life, Seulgi-yah. These jewels of Omma have been forgotten in our safe. “

“You can give them to your future wife.”

“When I find her, I’ll buy her new ones. These are yours. Come on, choose one set, and I’ll stop nagging you.”

She finally chose a set of diamonds, and declared she was ready to go.

When Changmin saw her, he said, “Don’t say I can’t say it tonight.”

“You can say it once. And only once.”

“You’re really beautiful tonight, Seul.”

“You look great as well Park Chanyeol.”

“That’s it? Other girls would drool already.”

She ignored him and entered his car. She already told him her dress would be black, so he wore a black suit to match her. He did look even better than usual.

He was looking at her with those sparkly eyes in the backseat, but Seulgi pretended she didn’t notice, and arranged her feet in a comfortable position, opened her branded party pouch and played a game in her phone.

************************************************

It wasn’t so bad, Seulgi decided.

The teachers were there, and it was all about friendship and celebrating their last party together—for the seniors.

She danced several times with Chanyeol, took pictures in the photobooth and enjoyed seeing how pretty and handsome everyone was. When she had enough of dancing, she excused herself and sat with Seungwan—Joohyun was Junmyeon date and they seemed to enjoy dancing more than her.

She saw Chanyeol looking happy, dancing with his friends’ girlfriends and then their sisters. Meanwhile, she’s enjoying the food. There were lots of sushi and snacks, with fresh and sweet drinks served in pretty glasses.

Finally, it was time for the Prom King and Queen to be announced.

Chanyeol was sitting beside her when his name was announced. She squeezed his hand and beamed. “Chukkae! I knew you’re going to win!”

He squeezed her hand back and walked to the stage, where he was given the Prom King crown (real gold, courtesy of the school), the sash and a bouquet of flowers.

However, when the Prom Queen’s name was announced, Seulgi literally burst out her strawberry punch, for it was her own name. The scene was aired in the huge screens, making the who hall laughed.

She then coughed and struggled for breath, as Seungwan and Joohyun were all hysterical with “CHUKKAE CHUKKAE CHUKKAEEEEEEE!!!”

The MC called her name to come on stage, as she mouthed, “This can’t be happening!”

Chanyeol grabbed the mic from the MC and said, “Kang Seulgi, you better come here or I’ll carry you myself.”

Seulgi covered her face with her hands, but Joohyun and Seungwan pulled her to stand up.

“No way! I’m not going there!” she screamed in panic.

The hall and hundreds of students began chanting, “Kang Seulgi! Kang Seulgi! Kang Seulgi!” The sound got louder and louder, as the Prom Queen herself looked left and right for an escape route.

She tried, but who knew Seungwan and Joohyun were so strong? Their hands kept her there.

And all of a sudden, there was Chanyel, holding her hand.

“It’s ok. We’ll be on stage together. You just have to say something briefly then it’s over.”

“I can’t—“

“This is a once in a lifetime occasion, Seul. Don’t miss it.”

She stopped pulling her hand and let Chanyeol led her to the stage, as the chanting of “Kang Seulgi! Kang Seulgi! Kang Seulgi!”

She accepted her crown, sash and bouquet, then stood on Chanyeol’s side when he gave his speech.

“Thank you so much for everyone who has voted for me. I’m really grateful. Thank you as well for the student council’s committee, for arranging this prom night. I know for sure uri Kim Junmyeon prepared hard for this. On this chance, I’d also like to thank all the teachers in this school, especially those who have taught me. I’m sorry for not being really serious in my first year, and a part of my second year.

“Also, as everyone knew, I’m really grateful to one person.”

The whole hall seemed to cheer at this.

“You all know who she is” he continued, and somebody, a girl’s voice, seemed, “KANG SEULGI UNNIE, SARANGHAE!!!”

“Yah, don’t steal my words” Chanyeol replied, smiling. “But yes, you all know her. She’s someone who makes me want to be a better guy. In the future too, I want to be worthy of her. So, thank you Kang Seulgi. You’ve made everything more wonderful.”

The crowd cheered for him. They did love him. A lot. He’s the one student all girls had a crush on, and boys wanted to be his friends. It was well-deserved that he won the Prom King title.

However, the Prom Queen’s voice was shaking when she stood behind the mic, looking at hundreds of the students.

“I’m—“ she tried, hearing her own voice reverberating so loud, then she stepped back. Chanyeol’s hands stopped her from running, though. He pushed her gently to return behind the mic.

“I’m—I’m not sure why I got to be Prom Queen.”

“UNNIE SARANGHAEEEEE!!!”

She smiled nervously when she heard that, and she stared down at the bouquet of flowers she was holding.

“Joy-ssi is very pretty. She deserves to win this. And Yeri-ssi—once we were so close—“

The hall turned quiet. Yeri was standing there with her gang of pretty girls.

“But we’re not anymore. It’s a pity, but I wish the best for her, always.”

She looked up and faced everyone. Hundreds. Or thousands? She wasn’t sure.

Her legs were shaking, her voice was shaking, and she felt cold over, yet she continued speaking.

“You voted someone who’s afraid of people to be your Prom Queen? You’re unusual” she said, then smiled, and everyone laughed with her. “I’m not good in making friends—“

“UNNIE WE LOVE YOUUUUUUU!!!”

“Pretty sure they’re my dongsaengs in Science Club.....”

She looked at the science club table and her dongsaengs climbed their chairs and waved enthusiastically.

She smiled at them.

“I.....study a lot because it’s the only thing I know. And I.....although I never talk much, I do love this school. I enjoy my time here. I’m going to miss this. I’m going to miss everyone. I’m grateful to all the teachers. I’m not sure why you like me so much, but I’m really grateful. In the past, when I barely talk to anyone, I still feel that I am a part of this school, so I was never unhappy.”

“Of course, there’s someone who—“

“PARK CHANYEOL!!!”

Seulgi laughed nervously.

“There’s my good friend Park Chanyeol who—“

“FRIEND? WHAT FRIEND? HE’S YOUR HUSBAND!”

“You didn’t choose me as Prom Queen because you think getting him was the best thing I did, right?”

The crowd screamed, “No!”

“I’m grateful to Park Chanyeol as well. Thanks to him, I have a more colourful high school life. In the future, I will always be Kang Seulgi who works hard. Manhi gamsahamnida.”

She bowed and stepped back, as applause exploded.

****************************************************

They both took pictures with everyone who asked.

Afterwards, at the garden of her house, they took a long walk.

“Have you believed it yet? That you’re Prom Queen?”

“Not yet. I think I never will.”

“People like you as you are. I hope you know that.”

“I might believe it, soon” she smiled.

They were holding hands, and it was really peaceful.

The night was cool but not cold, and even the moon was full.

“Seul?”

“Yes?”

“Can we live together in U.K?”

Seulgi turned to him, shocked.

“How can we do that? Don’t be crazy.”

“We’ll go to different universities, Seul. I know what an obsessed student you are. If we don’t live together, we’ll never meet!”

“We’ll meet. We’ll make the time.”

“It will be hard. You will be really busy. And I don’t want us to drift apart.”

“How can we drift apart? We’ll be living in the same city.”

“Yes, but we will both be busy. Come on. I’ll be good, Seul. I won’t cross the line. I just still need to see you everyday.”

“............I don’t think it’s a good thing to do.”

“Why not? I thought you’re already comfortable with me.”

“I am. But living together is—“

“Be honest with yourself. You’ll know what I’m asking makes sense. If we don’t live together, you’re just going to fall asleep in the library and I’ll never see you.”

Seulgi walked silently beside him.

“..........do you think it’s the best thing to do?”

“Yes. I’m sure of it.”

“...........I’ll agree if my brother agrees.”

That’s not something easy.

Kang Minhyuk still treated him as someone who might hurt his sister anytime.

“If you don’t ask my brother’s permission, then it’s a no. I can’t say yes to this one. I need my family’s permission, even if you promise you’ll just act like a good friend.”

“I’ll talk to your brother.”

“Jjinjja?”

“Yes.”

“When?”

“Tomorrow.”

Seulgi nodded.

With that, they walked to Chanyeol’s car.

In a way, she was testing him. Would he have the courage to ask her brother?

She knew he would, yet it would be better if he really did it.

After waving to him, Seulgi walked back to her house.

It was a great night. One she will remember for a long time.

What would the next days bring, though?

**********************************************************

Author’s Note:

My muse for this fic is back.

Or maybe I’m avoiding to write my other fic Sarang Iyagi, because it would be angst.

Either way, it’s good to pursue my inspiration when it hits, so you get another update.

I don’t like those fics where the girl changes her character to be with the guy.

I want my readers to read a unique character that with her own personality, is slowly stealing people’s heart.

Seulgi here still stays true to her character. Chanyeol’s love made her more open, but that’s it. She never changed into a stranger, just somebody who bended to the leading male’s will.

I basically want to teach my readers self-love and self-trust with Kang Seulgi in this fic.

I hope you understand my feelings. If I sound excessive, it’s because I’m a teacher. And I want all my students to have self-love and self-trust. My readers as well, who I’m sure, are mostly girls.

Thank you for reading! Remember to tell me what you think about this chapter.