three

Your Majesty

_________________________________________________________

 

There is a saying then when a couple becomes too attached to one another, they will follow each other in death as well. They may turn so emotionally detached that the other half is willing to take their own life to be together again in the afterlife.

 

But these are all old beliefs from the past. When taken into context of the modern world, it is seen as barbaric and cruel.

 

When Jung Hyerim passed away, Taehyun was overcome with so much grief that he did considered suicide once. But he couldn’t. Not when his only daughter, his only heir was still so young, innocent and naïve.

 

However, in a test to prove one’s ability to succeed the throne, is a different story.

 

It concerns the image of the Jung. And if they fail, it means a lifetime of embarrassment.

 

The Jungs are such prideful beings that they would rather die than return with nothing. In turn, their spouses too must take responsibility for their spouse’s failure and die together with them.

 

That is the cruel fate decided onto this testament that has carried on for centuries.

 

“This is…crazy…” Chorong gasped, listening to her wife’s explanation.

 

And when she thought her family’s traditions were the worst, she was so wrong. Although she detested the patriarchy system that the Parks followed, her family was always so warm and welcoming to each other. But the Jungs were a complete opposite. They are cold-blooded and gave no mercy the moment their honor is tainted.

 

Those who betray, are killed.

 

Those who do not live up to the status of their family, are killed.

 

The Jungs have to fight for their place in their kingdom, where honour and pride are put in the pit. 

 

“I know. But you need to trust me. I have been training my whole life for this moment so that I can succeed, get out of there alive, and return to you safely. I won’t die that easily. I am the Jung heir after all.” Eunji said with confidence, holding tightly onto Chorong’s hands. She’s looking deeply into her eyes with so much sincerity.

 

“I do. And I always will, Eunji.” The Princess said calmly.

 

For her part, she was trained in maintaining her emotions and dealing in situations like these. She was told from young that the Jung family are very unexpected in nature and have many surprises. She was taught from the beginning that the Jungs are unlike anyone else in the world.

 

And as the wife to the Jung heir, she must always remain vigilant and accepting of whatever is to come at her.

 

“Thank you.” The heir smiled widely and leaned in to softly kiss her. She wasn’t expecting such a calm reaction. She thought that Chorong would freak out, or even grow scared of her. But she doesn’t. And she respects that so much. She has such a cool wife.

 

“Can I ask you a favor?”

 

“What is it?”

 

“This is supposed to be a secret so you need to pretend that you know nothing of this. Tomorrow morning, Bada will inform you that I will be going off for a special business meeting in Japan for 12 days. But those 12 days is the time limit I have to return with a head of a tiger. I will be sent off in secret with only the male Jung members present to the Forest of Death. Please do not go there. Please wait for me to return home.”

 

Chorong nodded with full understanding. “I will. The moment we walk out of this room, we will forget that this conversation ever happened.”

 

“That’s my girl.” The heir cupped her cheeks with a proud smile. “We’ll talk more later when we’re home. Now, let’s finish up greeting all the guests.”

 

Far across the corridor is a quaint, little room.

 

Looking out of the large windows that pictured the glowing river and gardens shimmering under the moonlight, the two Kings gently clinked their vodka shots together and gulped it down. Tapping the ashes off their cigar, it has been awhile since the two men had a personal heart-to-heart conversation.

 

Even though they may be Kings, but they are also men who have duties as a father.

 

“Look at you, fellow Jung. I remember how we used to brawl as young lads and we’d always make it even. You were so proud of your toned body that you claimed to attract more women than me. Ha, those were the days.” Jungwoo chuckled, eyes onto his old friend who has shrunk in size.

 

It does sadden the Park King to see how weak his comrade has become. The Jung King has been working too hard, he has grown stressed and fallen ill to a disease that he does not know of. While his prideful ego is one problem, Jung Taehyun has grown more reserved and quiet since Hyerim’s passing.

 

And that, Jungwoo understands it completely.

 

“We were young and it was a great moment to be alive. But that is over. The war is over. We do not need to fight anymore. Even so, enemies are always around us. So, don’t let your guard down, fellow Park.”

 

“I’m not. I’m still as sharp as ever, just so you know.” Jungwoo chuckled as he soon, diverted the topic. He couldn’t let this pass, especially when this concerns his precious daughter. “I hope that you are aware about tomorrow. Whatever happens, the burden is all on you.” The man glared.

 

“She will succeed.” Taehyun answered with confidence. “Although my former brothers and uncles failed and paid with their lives, my family will not taint itself. They failed because they were not ready. They did not have the true heart of a King and that is why, I claimed the throne. Eunji too, will follow my path. Do not worry.”

 

“If Eunji were to fail, the next-in-line will be my nephew, Park Chanyeol. And if that happens, it will make your clan look so weak and small. Unlike my large family, yours is very small.”

 

“That is because we only accept the true, strong-willed sons and daughters of the family. Those who fail, will die. And that is why, so many of my cousins and uncles have passed on very early in life.”

 

“And that is why I think your family is crazy sometimes. The level of risks that you put yourself in…but you have that tenacity and pride. I respect it fellow Jung. I really do.”

 

“Thank you fellow Park.”

 

The two Kings cheered their cups together, drinking another sip as they continued to chat throughout the night, hoping that it will ease their thoughts of the tomorrow.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

The couple is exhausted.

 

Their muscles have gone all sore, feet tensed up and body needing full rest. Sitting in the large marble bathtub together, they’ve drowned their bodies in hot water. Chorong leaned her head onto Eunji’s chest as the heir gently her hair.

 

There’s nothing but silence.

 

They’re simply enjoying each other’s company even though they are aware of what is coming tomorrow. It’s strange. While they have yet to know much about one another, they cannot bear to leave.

 

12 days. It feels like it might take forever to come.

 

“Chorong, are you scared?”

 

“About tomorrow?” In which the heir lightly nodded.

 

“I’m not, because I believe in you. I know it isn’t right and I should be at least a little afraid, knowing that my life is at risk. But, I want to think that this is a challenge for the both of us. If I can’t place my trust in you when it concerns life and death, then I don’t even deserve your love.”

 

“You’re right.” Eunji smiled softly. “You’re absolutely right.”

 

She leaned her head onto Chorong. There’s something a little warm in her chest. It’s not the bath but Chorong’s words. The fact that she said that with such sincerity and confidence, the fact that she trusts and understands her, it’s pulling her deeper in love with this wise woman.

 

“Why do you have to bring back the head of a tiger? Why not a boar? That seems easier to kill.”

 

“In our clan, tigers are seen as our spirit and philosophy in life. The tiger represents power and if we are able to prove our power by killing one, it shows that we have overcome our own fears. It shows that we are ready to be King. A leader can only become one, when they are strong and respected by the rest of the pack.”

 

“King…I never thought it would be so difficult to become one. Usually, it’s just wearing a crown, sitting on the throne and being pampered by maidens. But that’s what the television tells us. Reality is so much different.”

 

“How I wish being a King is that easy. But it isn’t. Yet, I have to be strong because that is the fate I am destined to have.”

 

“I admire your strength and passion, Eunji. But…” Chorong looked at her, concerned.

 

“When we are alone, I want you to know that it is okay to break down those walls. If you’re feeling suffocated, please lean on me. Cry on my shoulder and vent to me. I will listen. I don’t want you to keep it all inside you Eunji.” The Princess placed her hand onto Eunji’s chest. “Let me have a share of your pain. I want to have it too, a little bit of everything.

 

The heir smiled sadly at her wife. With a thankful heart, she gently lifts Chorong up and has her comfortably straddle her waist.

 

“Thank you.” She murmured, kissing her lips with all of her affection.

 

It’s soft, gentle and warm. Eunji doesn’t know how to express it all. For years, she’s been yearning for a sincere love. A love with someone who understands her pain and struggles. Without her mother around, the heir didn’t have anyone else to turn to. But now she does.

 

Her lovely wife.

 

“What shall we do when I come back?”

 

“You talked about knife-cut noodles. I’ll make them for you.”

 

“Ooh…I’d love that. I get to taste my wife’s cooking the moment I return. Now, that’s my true prize. I don’t need that tiger head. Just you, is enough.”

 

“There you again with your cheesiness.” Chorong rolled her eyes with a giggle, leaning back into as the two shared soft kisses back and forth.

 

That night, the couple decided to sleep in each other’s arms. None of that hot, ual fire from before. None of that flirting and teasing. Nothing but warm, affectionate love.

 

Legs tangled around, gentle of their hair and soft circular rubs onto their hands, the two snooze softly into the night, quickly descending into sleep as fatigue took its toll. But knowing that they are safe in their nest, eases their anxious hearts despite knowing what awaits tomorrow.   

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

“Namjoo-ya, can you promise me something?”

 

“Yes Mother?”

 

“Promise me that you’ll always be by your sister’s side. She’s a little special and she needs you to be her eyes and ears. She has inherited my abilities to see prophecies which means that she loses her sixth sense. Danger can come at any time and you need to be there to guide her. The two of you are inseparable, Namjoo. You are the bright sun while she is the lonely Moon. She needs your light and you need her company.

 

“I will, Mother. Promise! After all, I love Naeun unnie a whole lot! There’s no way I’ll ever leave her side!”

 

Namjoo opened her eyes, realizing that it was all a dream. A small tear escaped her duct, rolling down her cheeks as she quickly rubbed it away.

 

“Mother…”

 

Raising up from bed, she’s returned back to reality. Her mother’s death anniversary is approaching round the corner and having dreams of her again, was a sign to return home and visit her grave. But she hasn’t done so in years.

 

Not wanting to think about her family, the witch tries to divert her attention onto other things. She remembers what happened yesterday and now she’s scared. She doesn’t want to check her phone because she knows that there is going to be a ton of messages.

 

There will be news circulating around the Internet that they’ve discovered a witch living among them. Her identity will be leaked out and for all she knows, the police could already be knocking her door.

 

She hates this.

 

Her true weakness: overthinking. It’s making her go crazy.

 

Namjoo took a deep breath, trying to calm her thoughts down. “You can do this. It won’t be that bad. I swear.” She pressed the button and the screen lit up. To her surprise, there’s nothing.

 

Just two messages from Sungjae, reminding her to submit her report and one missed voicemail. That voicemail. It worries her.

 

No, Namjoo decides to search the Internet first. News portals are all talking about the royal wedding, pictures of the couple scattered in every site like a virus. The hottest keywords on Caver’s search engine is “Royal Wedding”, “Jung Eunji” and “Park Chorong”.

 

Still not believing it, Namjoo personally types in “witch” onto the search bar. The results come up with websites redirecting her to a bunch of history and fictional stories of witches.

 

“Nothing? Are you ing with me? This can’t be true.”

 

That’s when it hit her. There is still that one voicemail on her phone. With an anxious heart, she taps onto it.

 

“You have one unread voicemail. Press 1 to- “

 

Beep.

 

“Hello Oh Jin Kyung. Or rather, Namjoo. One of the witch sisters residing at Raven Woods. I know what you’re thinking. You thought that your human identity has been exposed because of that one heroic act you did. Well, we have hold of that footage. And we might release it to the public. Unless…you value your identity so much then we have something in store for you. Meet us at the Organ Bar at 2pm today and we’ll talk. See you there, witch…or maybe not. The choice is yours.”

 

Beep.

 

‘Oh, me!”

 

Namjoo exasperated. It was better if it was already out on the Internet. But the fact that there is a stranger who is fully aware of the witches’ existence, this is not something she can take lightly. Thinking that this might be FWFH’s doing, the anti-witch movement, it can’t be anyone else.

 

They are the only ones who knows about Raven Woods and their contract with the royal monarchy. It’s just that Namjoo never thought that she would have to face them first-hand. It’s always been Hayoung doing the dirty work. But looks like it’s time for her turn.

 

She’s pacing around her room, biting her nail as she’s thinking of a plan. But nothing is coming into mind. She could just use her powers and kill them all in a flash. But that is straight up murder. She may be a witch but she must still obey the law. But then again, the FWFH knows how to kill a witch and they may be leading her into a death trap.

 

Namjoo stops as she stared at her phone. An image of Hayoung pops into her mind.

 

“No, no. , you do not ing text her.”

 

She shook her head viciously in denial. But she is still staring at it.

 

“Ah, me. Really, it!” She exasperated, grabbing her phone and tapping onto the unknown number, bringing her into the chat conversation. Her fingers are shaking, but she doesn’t really have any other choice.

 

Hey Hayoung.

Look.

I’ll be quick.

I will come home.

But on one condition.

I need your help.

 

Her phone is vibrating but the vampire is still asleep with Naeun in her arms. The two had another session last night and now, they are under the blankets. Hayoung groaned, turning to her side as she curled her toes, stretching and making sure that she didn’t wake her girlfriend up.

 

Checking that Naeun is still fast asleep in dreamland, Hayoung rolled over to the side and picked up her phone. She sees a notification bubble and opens it, revealing the messages that Namjoo finally sent in.

 

Even though the vampire is a little relieved that she’s finally responded, but she doesn’t like where her messages are hinting at. Hayoung is bound to Naeun’s orders and she can’t go anywhere unless she makes up an excuse.

 

“Hey…babe…” She whispered softly into the witch’ ears, making her to groan and rub her eyes. “I’ll be going out for a bit. I suddenly feel like going to the Internet café today. Hope you don’t mind.”

 

“Why that all of a sudden?” Naeun asked suspiciously.

 

“Aww come on, can’t I have a little fun after I helped you out with yesterday hmm? After all, I did give you a pretty good one last night.” Hayoung mumbled, cooing the witch with soft kisses on her neck.

 

“Mm…fine. But be back by 6pm.”

 

“Thank you my wonderful girlfriend.” The vampire grinned, her lie, a success. She opened the cupboard, plopped a black hoodie over, took a black umbrella and gets ready to head out.

 

While she’s rarely out during the day as vampires don’t do well under the sun, she’s willing to bear through this pain for Namjoo. After all, a little bruise on her skin is nothing compared to losing her.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

Day 3 of the wedding.

 

For others, it’s time to prepare for a honeymoon. Considered as the moment for the lovebirds to have their own private moment far away, it should be a special day. But not for the royals.

 

Eating breakfast at the table, Chorong and Eunji are in their own world again. They’re laughing and giggling, as if not aware of what’s happening today. Food always seems to be the topic that drives them to be so engrossed.

 

“Wait, you put in six eggs into ramen?”

 

“Totally! They are all good protein! Without them, I wouldn’t have this body right here.”

 

“Do you love eggs more than me?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Huh.” Her wife deadpanned.

 

“It’s a joke! Of course I love you much more, Chorong.” Eunji grinned, leaning against her shoulder and snuggling her head in, as if an attempt to be excused for her slip of tongue.

 

As they continued their conversation, both of them shared a liking towards chicken and beer which they consider to be the perfect combination for a late night snack. They also express their dislike towards hamburgers. The newlywed couple clicked so well and kept hitting all the right buttons. But happy moments like these, will always have an ending.

 

“Jung heir, the chauffeur has arrived.” Bada announced, interrupting their joyful banter as she entered, glancing a look at the Princess who has started her "act". Chorong's looking all confused.

 

“Do not worry, Princess. Your wife is simply going on an important meeting in Japan. She will return in 12 days.”

 

“Yeah, we have quite a strong alliance in Japan and it’s important that I make my presence there. You know, got to let them know that the heir is married and ready to take the throne someday. Lots of heavy business and boring meetings.” Eunji cleared , easily throwing in a believable excuse in front of the lioness who remained clueless.

 

“I…see. Once you’re back, I’ll cook you those knife-cut noodles you’ve been talking about, okay?” Chorong smiled, her hands tugged onto her wife’s coat. It's a small action but bears so much of meaning. It's telling her to be careful. To be safe.

 

“Ahh, I’ll look forward to that. I’m sure they will taste delicious.” Eunji gave her wife one last kiss, wanting to take every last image with her.

 

She has to go.

 

“I’ll be back.” She mouthed, letting go Chorong’s hand from her coat with much reluctance.

 

The Mercedes car drives off far into the dense woods down south. Rawshore Fields is entirely Jung property and no one is allowed entry except for its members. Passing through the guards and winding through the turns, it doesn’t take long before it stops in front of a small wooden cabin. Right across is the entrance of the Forest of Death, barricaded by tall, barbed wires and fences that seem to be never-ending. There's a strange eerie feeling coming and a chill in the air. It certainly lives up to its name. 

 

There, Eunji greeted her Father and her two other male cousins, Jung Ilhoon and Jung Subin. They are still young and while they are far from being in line to the throne, the young boys are well aware of how important this tradition is.

 

“You know what to do.”

 

“I have trained my whole life for this, Father. I will not disappoint you.” Eunji said with a smile, entering into the cabin to change into proper wear and gather her tools.

 

Just like her training, she’s revising all of the steps and procedures in her mind. She changed into a light, white leather shirt, green khakis onto her legs and strapped on a brown belt over her waist. She adjusted the knife pocket on the side of her leg, checked her Winchester hunting rifle if it is in top notch condition and ensured that her portable zip-waterproof bag is filled with the essential survival items.

 

Looking into the old, dusted mirror, Eunji grabbed hold of her long, black hair and took out her knife. Gently slicing a portion of it off, she now dons a shorter bob look. Putting on leather gloves that are embroidered in golden threads of the Jung symbol, she takes one last look at herself. Gripping tightly onto the blue sapphire bracelet that is locked onto her wrist, she wants to believe that her mother is with her, watching her from the skies.

 

She is ready.

 

12 days in the Forest of Death with one goal: the head of a tiger.

 

Pushing the cabin door open, she greets her Father again with a bow. Jung Taehyun looks at her, a little surprised at her new hair but also at how his daughter looks like a true warrior now. Her eyes burn passionately with determination.

 

“If only your other uncles and cousins were still alive, they would’ve been here to send you off. Watch carefully boys, our heir is about to show you what a true Jung is like.” Taehyun said with a proud smile.

 

“Good luck. You have to promise us that you’ll return in one piece.” Ilhoon said.

 

“When you’re back, introduce us to your wife too! I would love to meet her.” Subin said.

 

Eunji smiled and placed her hand onto her chest in a vow. “I promise.” She looks back one last time and takes a step inside the forest, the gates shut behind with a loud thud.

 

 

~X~

 

 

In a secluded area in Soeul, is the red light district: a place that flourishes at night. People come for , drugs and alcohol. But during the day, it is a dead town.

 

Namjoo scanned the row of shops, looking for the sign of the Organ Bar. As a journalist, she knows what are the hottest places and the Organ Bar is where tons of alcoholics go. It isn’t just a place to have a good time, there are services provided where both men and women can indulge themselves in pleasure and where drug smugglers hide. The black market booms in this very place.

 

The witch spotted the neon sign that is switched off and peeked into the window. It’s all dark until a man pops his head in, scaring the lady with a loud shriek.

 

“Hahahahahaha! Oh boy, my belly hurts!”

 

The man laughed out loud, coming out of the bar. Blonde dyed hair and a cheeky face, Namjoo doesn’t believe that a person like him knows about the identity of witches. 

 

“There you go again, Hyuk. I told you this isn’t the way to hit up girls.” Another man came out with a sigh. Dressed in a biker jacket, he has a complete opposite feel. There’s piercings on his lips, nose and a stare of a killer.

 

“Whatever Ravi. So, you must be the witch huh? Oh-sorry, I mean Oh Jin Kyung, reporter of Dispatch. Come on in.” Hyuk grinned, opening the door for her like a gentleman.

 

Namjoo stepped into the dimly lit bar cautiously. There are other two men inside and she is a little anxious with these four wolves surrounding her. The witch is prepared to use her magic powers if this turns out to a kind of group or something. There is an excuse to this, which is defense against ual assault.

 

“Don’t be scared. We won’t hurt you. Even if we did, that would be illegal.” Hakyeon said in a gentle tone, smiling as he offered a chair for the witch.

 

Namjoo sat down as she is now facing, what she assumes is the “leader” of the group. Clad in a hoodie, a little thinner from the rest, he certainly doesn’t look very friendly.

 

“Oh Jin Kyung, Dispatch reporter. Or rather, Namjoo of the twin witches. I welcome you. My name is Leo.”

 

The man reached in for a handshake, but smiled awkwardly noticing that she wasn’t going to shake his hand anyway. “A cold lady you are. Let’s be quick.” He snapped his fingers as Ravi handed him a brown document.

 

Leo took out the items inside: a pendrive and twelve photographs of Namjoo’s heroic act at the bus station.

 

“You know, you’re the first witch that I know, who doesn’t attack human beings. You actually save them, which is rather interesting. From young, I was taught that witches are our enemies and they’re always tricking us into a pool of death.”

 

“What do you want?” Namjoo cut in. She didn’t want to waste time sitting around here. She just wants to get this done and over with.

 

The man clasped his hands together. “I need your help because I need your powers. Don’t worry, there won’t be any killing involved because we will do it. If you accept to these terms, I’ll burn this document immediately.” Leo snapped his fingers again as Hakyeon took out a lighter as proof.

 

Namjoo sighed. “What do you want me to do?”

 

“My real name is Jung Taekwoon and I am the true heir of the throne. The public needs to know the truth. Everyone needs to know that this is all a fabricated lie.” Leo growled, clenching his fists as he tried to suppress his boiling anger.

 

“My father should’ve been the one to claim it. But before he could, the King…no- my uncle, Jung Taehyun killed him in cold blood. I want you to help us as a spy. We need a good opening to hunt all of these royal heads down. For many years, we’ve tried and failed. Nobody wants to listen to us. Nobody believes me. The only way is you.”

 

“And what if I said no?”

 

“Then, you’ll die right here.” He snapped his fingers as his men pulled out pistols hidden from their jackets.

 

“Huh, I thought you said that there won’t be any killing involved. You guys seem very skilled in the art of killing.” Namjoo leaned back onto the chair calmly, unamused by their threat. Humans are just so predictable. Why was she even so nervous in the beginning?

 

“I never said that we are going to kill you. But we will hurt you if you say no.”

 

“Ha.” Namjoo snorted. “ off, damn humans.” The witch looked up at the ceiling. “Hayoung-ah!”

 

Upon her call, everything happened so quickly that there was no time for the men to react.

 

The vampire jumped down, her body absorbing through the ceiling as she swung one punch at Hyuk. Then, she vanished and flashed in front of Ravi, throwing a kick at his bottom. In a blink, she’s got Hakyeon groaning on the floor and next thing, Leo sees the vampire right in front of him. Her red, glowing eyes, pale skin and sharp fangs.

 

Hayoung is grabbing onto his collar and he can’t move, paralyzed by her power. She took a quick whiff of Leo’s neck and grimaces in disgust. “Yuck. Men’s blood stink. So much for trying to have a meal out here"

 

She tossed Leo to the side in disappointment and walked back to Namjoo. Holding onto her hand, the two disappear into thin air upon the snap of the witch’s fingers.

 

“Hyung…did you see that?” Hyuk groaned, trying to get up.

 

“Damn, she is ing fast. What on earth is she?” Ravi grumbled, holding tightly onto his bottom as all he can feel is pain tantalizing his entire body.

 

“A vampire.” Leo said, stunned as his eyes glinted with intrigue. He isn’t even one bit concerned that he lost Namjoo. “I can’t believe it. There is still one more vampire living in this world. They didn’t kill all of them in that vampire massacre. There was a survivor.”

 

“Okay, I get that you’re getting excited over this but we have better things to do. She forgot to take this.” Hakyeon said, dusting off his pants as he took the brown document.

 

“Plan B…here we go.” Hyuk answered with a groan, holding onto the wall to support himself.

 

"No. We will proceed as usual. Those witches will definitely warn the monarchy. This is just a little warm-up to get this game started." Leo smirked.

 

Appearing inside Namjoo’s cozy apartment, the witch sighed and collapsed flat onto her bed. Hayoung looked at her unamused, scanning her eyes around the messy room. Her study desk is filled with stacks of papers and files, there is a cup of unfinished coffee and an Apple laptop charging. On the shelf, there are books neatly aligned and a photo frame of what seems to be Namjoo’s human friends.

 

It looks like she has been living a really good life as a human. She seems happy compared to before.

 

But Hayoung knows that Namjoo shouldn’t be doing this. She is not a human. She is a witch who has pledged with a duty to serve the monarchy in exchange for her freedom and life.

 

“You really weren’t joking about this. It’s like…you’re obsessed with becoming a human.” Hayoung said, walking around the room.

 

“It’s fun Hayoung. You should try it some day.”

 

“Yeah and let me die in the sun? Sure.” She responded sarcastically. “Well, are you coming home?” The vampire turned to look at Namjoo, staring at how she’s not moving at all.

 

“Well, I don’t break promises plus, I ed up anyway.” Namjoo raised up from bed. “I forgot about that stupid document that we left behind. Damn, my career is over already.”

 

“Uh huh.”

 

Hayoung isn’t amused. She is here for one reason, that is to bring the younger sister back home. It has been years. Years since she last seen her. But despite the gap, it is strange how they are talking to each other as if nothing has changed.

 

“Look. I know you’re mad. And my sister…well, let’s not talk about her first. It’s my fault. I’ve lived as Oh Jin Kyung for over eight years now and it’s time to go back being a witch I guess. I promised mother anyway...”

 

“Are you sad?”

 

“What?”

 

“I asked if you are sad about no longer having a human life. Because…you seem really happy living like this.”

 

Namjoo looked at her softly with a smile. Even after so many years, the vampire is still that sweet, little girl. Maybe that’s why Naeun fell for her. She may have the power to kill, but she has an innocent heart.

 

“It’s fine. I can wait another 100 years and start all over again. After all, we are immortal.”

 

“Until you get stabbed in the heart with a silver blade.” Hayoung sharply cut in, causing a sudden silence among the two.

 

“…Yeah. Anyways. Just wait for a bit and let me pack my things. Next thing you know, the police are gonna start raiding my place and I will lose them all.”

 

“Don’t take too long. I promised Naeun to be back by six.”

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

“And you are…?” Chorong stared at the lady, surprised.

 

She just finished eating lunch after sorting out her stuff that arrived yesterday. As she will now be living in the Jung Palace, the Princess had to ensure that everything is just like home. She had planned to continue, until the servants told her that someone was waiting for her downstairs.

 

“Hello Park Princess.” She bowed gracefully. “My name is Irene Bae. Your new secretary.”

 

“Secretary?”

 

“Yes. I am not sure if you have been told by Lady Bada yet but now that you are married, there will be a lot of duties on your shoulders as the Princess. Especially with the heir absent, you will have to take charge on behalf.”

 

“Right. What is scheduled for today?” Chorong asked, remembering that she is not just some normal commoner who just got married.

 

She is the wife to the Jung heir, she is a royal who has official public duties to do. Long gone were the days where she could live so freely without a care of her identity. Oh, if only she could rant to Eunji now about how much she misses being Han SooA.

 

A life where they could start over as Seo Yira and Han SooA seems like a faraway dream.

 

The secretary took out her notebook and flipped through the pages. “In two hours, you have a visit to an orphanage in downtown Soeul. The rest of the day is clear until evening. You have a meeting with the royal council at seven.”

 

“Right. Then, let’s get started with the visit. Do brief me on my schedule for the rest of the week while I sort out my things.” Chorong said, climbing up the stairs as Irene followed behind. Listening to her secretary while she picked up items from the cardboard boxes, she has everything stored into her memory.

 

There is no more time to dawdle about. Duty awaits.

 

Arriving at the orphanage, Little Blessing, she is greeted with children who are more than happy to see her. Chorong loves kids and she is more than happy to be with them. From reading storybooks to teaching them how to draw, time passes by very quickly. After taking a group picture, the Park Princess leaves with a final speech which would later be uploaded online and circulated around.

 

For most royals, this is an act of publicity. But Chorong genuinely wants to help these orphans to find a place to belong to.

 

“Irene, can you get me a list of couples who are longing to have a child but are unable to, due to medical reasons?” The Princess asked, leaning her head over to the secretary whose eyes are focused on the road.

 

“Will do Princess. Is there anything else you need?” She glanced over the mirror, hands tight on the wheel.

 

“…Yes. I would like to visit a circus. It is near the Park Palace.”

 

“Oh…that circus has closed down a long time ago.”

 

“What? Then…do you have any idea what happened to the animals there? That circus houses a werewolf. Do you think you’ll be able to get any of its whereabouts?”

 

“I believe you will have to talk to the person who evicted them, Princess.”

 

“Who?”

 

“…Your father, Park Jungwoo. He ordered them to evict and halt their business.”

 

“My father?” Chorong was surprised and being the curious one, she wants answers now. She needs to know everything. “Please send me to the Park Palace.”

 

“Very well, Princess.” Irene gently stepped onto the accelerator as the Roll Royce slowly picks up its pace, zooming through the cities and into the quiet forests.

 

Looking out of the window, Chorong hopes that everything is going well for her wife. She prays in her heart that Eunji is unhurt. Prays that she’s somehow surviving in the jungle. Prays that she will succeed and return proudly with the head of a tiger.

 

It has only been a day since she left and already, the Princess misses her so much. She misses her touch, her laugh, her voice. She misses everything.

 

When she was young, Chorong didn’t quite understand why couples couldn’t bear to be even a minute apart from each other. She thought that being clingy seem so controlling and toxic. But now, she knows. She understands it now.

 

“Princess, we have arrived.”

 

“Thank you Irene. I will return in a short while. It will not take long.”

 

“Understood.”

 

Closing the car door, Chorong greeted the guards who immediately bow at her presence. Walking through the gardens and round the courtyard, there’s nothing better than being home. The door opens and she sees her mother, running up to hug her.

 

“You didn’t tell me you were coming!”

 

“Sorry, I just suddenly thought of coming, mum.”

 

“…Where is the Jung heir?” Jungah scanned her eyes around, looking back at her daughter with worry. “Did the two of you already get into a fight?”

 

“Oh my god, no mom!” Chorong laughed it off. “She’s…busy with things. You know, the heir has a lot of duties to attend to. But I’m here to get something. I have to leave soon anyways.” She said, lying right in front of her mother. She can’t have her know about the fact that she was friends with a werewolf when she was young.

 

“I see…” There is a sudden hint of sadness from her mother’s face. But still, the Queen is more than happy to see her daughter at least once today. “Well, go do what you need to do. Time doesn’t wait for anyone.”

 

“I know mom.” Chorong smiled. “Is Father in?”

 

“In his office as usual. Why?”

 

“Oh. Okay. It’s nothing. Bye Mom.” The Princess bids goodbye as she headed upstairs. Knocking onto the door, she enters after her Father’s signal and Park Jungwoo is surprised to see his daughter.

 

“Dear! You did not tell me that you were coming!”

 

“You and mother said the same thing.” Chorong laughed, embracing her elated father.

 

“What brings you here?”

 

The King knows that whenever his daughter comes to his room, there will always be a purpose. It has always been like this. When Chorong was a kid, she was so curious of everything in the world that she would ask him so many things, which he cannot tell her, because she will be too young to understand.

 

But now, Jungwoo will have to prepare himself for whatever is coming. His precious girl is no longer that innocent, naïve girl. Her curiousity has fostered her to become a mature, yet inquisitive lady who does not back down when she wants answers. She will do everything she can to get them.

 

“I heard from my secretary that you were the one who evicted the circus nearby the palace. Why did you do that?”

 

“Ah…” The mood suddenly grew stiff. Jungwoo had an expression full of guilt written on his face. It was as if he was exposed point blank.

 

“Father.” Chorong lowered her tone, knowing how terrible of a liar her father is. “Spill it.” She ordered.

 

“It was for your own sake…werewolves are dangerous. I kept telling you so many times but you still had the audacity to make friends with it!”

 

“Father! You…you knew what I was doing?”

 

“Of course. I always had a close eye on you, worried that you might go somewhere. Worried that you might get lost. I can’t bear to let even a single scratch on you- “

 

“I am not a child! Father, I know what I am doing!” Chorong exasperated. As much as she loves her Father, there was something that she hated about him. The King was just too protective. Too obsessive over her safety. It was to such an extreme level that sometimes, the Princess felt suffocated by his love.

 

“You know that we are raised in a religious household. What does God view upon these demons? They are sons of Satan! I can’t let you any closer to any of those beings. You will be heavily influenced and your soul, tainted by darkness! I will not even let you get close to those witches that the Jung spoke so greatly about. You better stay far away from them!”

 

“What did you do to that werewolf?” Chorong doesn’t want to hear her father’s long excuse. She has had enough of him running around the bush.

 

“And you still dare to speak of that werewolf? Chorong, I clearly said that- “

 

“What. Did. You. Do. To. That. Werewolf?” The Princess glared at her father.

 

The King gulped. Never before has he seen his daughter this angry in front of him. As much as he loved her, he definitely did not want to see this side of her either.

 

“I let it die. It deserved it- “

 

“Father!”

 

“It… should be dead by now. I made sure that it couldn’t even stand. I…I am sorry my dear. It’s…”

 

“I hate you.”

 

Chorong doesn’t say anything else. She turned her heel around and slammed the door behind.

 

She’s upset and mad. Bomi doesn’t deserve this. She’s thinking about how much Bomi must’ve suffered through and in her heart, she mourns for her friend.

 

But she doesn’t want to cry. Not here.

 

She’ll keep it in, just like how Eunji does it. Maybe now, she’ll know how it feels to lock her emotions in. It’s suffocating, frustrating yet, Chorong knows that in the end, she can’t hate her father. She just can’t.

 

Deciding that she will need to go somewhere else to clear her mind, she headed downstairs to the extensive library, a place she is very familiar with. After all, she spent almost her whole childhood there and it brings her a peace of mind.

 

Walking through each row, it does feel a little bit better to be surrounded by her favourite things. It keeps her mind off things and she wants to believe that Bomi is still alive. She knows that her werewolf friend can’t die that easily.  

 

“Are you looking for something, dear Princess?”

 

Chorong flinched and turned around, only to smile widely, pulling her into an embrace.

 

“Sojin unnie! Wow, you’re still working with my father!”

 

“Of course. Congratulations on your wedding. My apologies for not being able to attend. Your Father assigned me to do his duties so that he could attend. I had to be the sacrifice.”

 

“It’s okay Sojin. You don’t need to be sorry.”

 

“Now then, you’re looking for a book? Let me help you with that. Your Father has added some more books into his collection so the placement is a little different now.”

 

“Um…” Honestly, Chorong came here to clear her thoughts. She wasn’t planning on reading anything. But something did come to her mind. “I’m looking for a book about the Forest of Death.”

 

“Ah…right this way, Princess.” Sojin said, leading the way.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

A day has passed since she entered the Forest of Death.

 

The Jung heir leaned against the trunk of a tree, catching her breath. She has been hanging on strong. Sweat trickled down her neck, face smeared with dirt and mud and all she has consumed for the past 48 hours is plants and insects.

 

Setting up a small camp and mapping out the forest one by one through markings on tree trunks, she has yet to reach the den of the tigers. Eunji sketches out a map with a branch, drawing it onto the soil.

 

The Forest of Death is massive and it takes almost two weeks by foot to finally take a whole round. But she doesn’t have much time. There is only 12 days. She has to choose the right path.

 

“Listen to the sounds…feel it in your heart…” Eunji mumbled to herself, sitting on the ground, legs crossed as she goes into a meditation. She is trying to capture the energy around her, to find the root of the nearest sound.

 

The heir remembers her training. That one time she went on a 3-month trip to Tibet with Bada and spent time with holy monks. She was able to learn a few things about spiritual energy.

 

She senses it.

 

There is a stream nearby. There are wild boars scattered in one corner. Deers peacefully eating on the eastern side. It quiet up west. And then…a faint howl, north.

 

A howl.

 

“What the hell?”

 

Eunji quickly got up, readied her rifle and treaded carefully north. This isn’t an aggressive, dominating howl that claims of its territory. It is a howl that speaks of help. A cry.

 

Climbing onto groves and large trunks, the heir pushed her way through the thick leaves and bushes while staying camouflaged. Peeking through, she can’t believe her eyes.

 

Just what kind of creatures live in this forest?!

 

A werewolf.

 

Exactly like the ones she has read about in books. The tales that her father told her about. It’s large, furry body that is triple the size of a human, sharp claws and fangs, it is real. But Eunji also noticed that the werewolf is bleeding. It is stumbling and staggering about, weak and whimpering.

 

The heir panned to the side and saw a pack of hyenas surrounding the werewolf. Immediately, Eunji knew what was right. She isn’t going to sit there and watch a whole murder unfold before her eyes.

 

Aiming carefully at one of the hyenas, she waited for the right moment. The werewolf howled again as the hyenas were ready to jump. In that moment, a loud bang shoots through the air.

 

A hyena yelped in pain as Eunji pranced from the bush like a predator. One shot and another yelped, collapsing to the ground. There are three hyenas in front of her. She knows that a rifle would not be fast enough to kill them all. So, she decides to drop her weapon and pulled out her knife.

 

She smirked, brandishing her blade across. “Come at me.”

 

One pounced onto Eunji, but the heir is quick. She swung her arm, slicing it through the animal. Another jumped from behind, managing to bite onto her neck as Eunji winced in pain. She grabbed hold of its paws and threw it onto the ground, stabbing her blade right in. There is one more left and it is whimpering, scared that all of its mates have fallen.

 

The remaining hyena decided to escape but Eunji was taught from young to never show mercy. It must die. Grabbing her rifle, she carefully aimed at the running hyena and pulled the trigger.

 

Bang.

 

All four hyenas, dead.

 

Ignoring the stinging pain and bleeding from her neck, she rushed to the werewolf’s side, only to be surprised that it has transformed back to its human form. She can’t believe it. Just before, it was such a massive creature but now, there is a young woman in front of her.

 

She looks about her age. Her long, frizzled hair and facial features were so human-like, eyes glowing in a dark red hue, Eunji is stunned. But she knows that she must help the werewolf first, not to be mesmerized at it. Taking out her bag, she took out a bandage and applied pressure onto her wound.

 

“Slowly breathe in and out.” Eunji instructed, wrapping the bandage around it and tying a knot. “You good?”

 

“Tha...nk...you.” The werewolf finally spoke, regaining memory of how to speak the human language. It is clumsy but she manages to get the message through.

 

“No problem.” She smiled. “Can you stand up?”

 

“Ye...s...I can.” The werewolf looked at the heir, eyes scanning top to bottom until she sees the embroidery on her gloves. The symbol of the Jung clan. Immediately, it hits her memory. “W-wait. You’re a J-Jung?”

 

“Yes. Why?”

 

“Oh my god! Y-You have to save me!” She is suddenly on the ground, kneeling in front of her, hands tugging tightly onto her shirt. “Y-You’re the only person who can get me out of here!”

 

“Whoa, whoa! Calm down. Stand up. You don’t need to do this. I’ll get you out of here, don’t worry. But I need your help first. I came here with a purpose and I can’t leave until I get this done.” Eunji said calmly, helping the werewolf onto her feet.

 

“I-I’ll do anything! After all, I-I owe my life to you, k-kind human!”

 

“What is your name?”

 

“M-my name?"

 

The werewolf is flustered. She has been trapped in this forest for so long that she doesn't really remember if she even has a name. But something lights up in her head. A foggy memory she's managed to obtain deep inside.

 

Her name. She does have one. Because she gave it to her.

 

"It's...Bo...B-Bomi."

 

 


 

Author's Notes:

This is quite a lengthy chapter but there is a lot of things going on. Let's break it down one by one;

Eunji's quest to obtain the head of a tiger as part of the Jung tradition. The sudden reveal of a true heir, Jung Taekwoon? And also, Namjoo's finally returning back to witch-hood because of her mistake. Our werewolf Bomi finally makes an appearence! Wonder what on earth did the so-very-protective Park Jungwoo do to the poor girl... 

Here are some pointers for this chapter:

The Jung's tradition is inspired from the practice of Sati, also known as "Widow Burning" where in India, when the husband dies, the wife will jump into the fire as a sacrifice. 

Eunrong is known to spend time and drink beer + chicken together. This is seen in this vlive and here, (11:00 mark) they talked about hamburgers and how it doesn't fit their taste hh

Eunji cutting her hair means that this will be her look, for the rest of the story ;)

Namjoo stated in the Panda 6 Booklet that one of her weaknesses is that she worries a lot and is timid which is why I have adapted her character to overthink and have a lot of fears. 

12 days are indicated as the timer because the number 12 is associated with the meaning of "1" and "2". Put them together and its about new beginnings and faith. If a Jung manages to complete the mission in 12 days, they will start a new beginning of their life with great faith and harmony- perfect for a future ruler.

Thank you for reading and see you in the next chapter! Looking forward to read your speculations on this on as we're building up to the events that will happen due to Naeun's prophecy in the previous chapters. 

Updates are going to be a little slower with the upcoming Lunar New Year celebrations ;; Happy Lunar New Year to those who celebrate it! See ya soon :)