prologue

Your Majesty

 

Hiding in the bushes, it’s all silent.

 

Twelve-year old Eunji steadied her Winchester ’94 rifle, eyes aimed at her target. It takes one breath and the trigger is pulled. A loud bang roars into the air, causing a deer to yelp and collapse onto the ground.

 

Swiftly, the child rushes out of her hiding spot and confirms its death. She grins widely and squats down, tightening a rope around the deer as she gets ready to deliver it home.

 

Children her age, should be in school.

 

But instead, Eunji spends her time in the private forest grounds owned by her family. Carrying a 7 pound hunting rifle strapped to her back, she has caught a fair share of deer, rabbit and even wild boars. Hunting is her hobby and witnessing death is nothing.

 

Eunji is no commoner, but an heir to the throne.

 

As the first-born of the Jung clan and soon-to-be leader, the girl has had a much different upbringing.

 

By the time she turned four, Eunji followed her father and observed royal meetings. She accompanied him onto hunting sessions where she learned how to shoot for the first time.

 

She has private tutors who educate her about the kingdom, private coaches that train her martial arts and a 24/7 in-house doctor to keep her health on check.

 

“Oh dear! Princess, your hands! And- we told you not to bring that thing in here!”

 

The servants gasped as they watched Eunji striding in confidently into the kitchen, dragging her hunt that left a trail of blood behind. One scrambled to take the deer away, another proceeded to clean the princess’ bloody prints.

 

Eunji laughed at how she’s treated so delicately at home. Indeed, she is the Jung Princess but when it comes to her father, she is regarded as the Jung heir. Sometimes, she wondered if her Father was upset that she turned out to be a girl, and not a boy. 

 

“Well, where am I supposed to put this then? Let it rot in the backyard? You know how much I love hunting.”

 

The servants stared at each other and sighed in defeat.

 

Walking into the kitchen after hearing the screams from the servants, is Bada. Considered as the lioness among servants, she was once an advisor to the King. Since the birth of the Jung heir, Bada was assigned as Eunji’s guardian and naturally became the replacement motherly figure after the Queen’s passing.

 

“Princess. Your Father has called for you. He is in his office.” The woman said, sending a glare at the servants who had their heads bowed in apology for causing a ruckus.

 

“Very well, I shall head there immediately.” Eunji nodded and climbed upstairs, where the King’s Office is. It is a place that she is very familiar with.

 

High ranking officials, ministers and sometimes, celebrities drop by to send their greetings. It is also the very room where important documents are signed, marking significant changes in history.

 

A place where former Jung Kings have all performed their duties as the leader, one day, Eunji will sit in that very chair and take the same responsibilities.

 

Giving three knocks on the door, Eunji waited patiently for the King’s signal to enter.

 

“Greetings Father, you summoned me?” She greeted with a 90 degrees’ bow. Standing in front of the King’s desk, she still feels nervous even though she has done this way too many times.

 

“Yes. I have. I have been waiting for you to return from your hunt. What did you manage to catch?”

 

Jung Taehyun placed his ballpoint down and clasped his hands together.

 

“A really large red deer. I think it’s one of my best catch yet!”

 

He looks at his daughter with proud yet sad eyes. Having to raise Eunji strictly, hitting her when she does wrong, shouting at her when she does not listen, the King has a heavy heart.

 

“Soon enough, you should be able to catch a wild boar and eventually a tiger.” Taehyun smiled. “With everything progressing with your training, I believe it is time to inform you of your first duty as heir. Your marriage.”

 

“…What?”

 

Eunji frowned, somehow offended that after everything she has done, her first duty is to get married. It just doesn’t add up.

 

Taehyun chuckled, somewhat expecting such a reaction from his daughter.

 

“Remember those bedtime stories I used to tell you about? How we formed a powerful alliance with the Park Kingdom, went to war together and vanquished all evil on this land? Because of our victory, the two clans became one and our country, Soeul is formed.”

 

“Yes Father, you’ve told me so many times that it’s already at the back of my head.”

 

“There was a promise to that. It wasn’t just strategic trade routes or sharing of wealth. As a symbol of our friendship and peace, we vowed to have our two children to marry.

 

“So…am I bound to be a housewife to a man? Do I have to start learning how to be posh, feminine and learn how to cook? Would anyone even be willing to marry someone like me who has seen nothing but bloodshed in life? Father-“

 

“The Parks gave birth to a girl.”

 

“…A girl.”

 

“Yes. A Princess just like you.”

 

There was a slight change in the heir’s expression. Rather than a troubled look, there was a sparkle of intrigue in her eyes.

 

Eunji has read childish storybooks that spoke of fairy tales and a prince charming. But she didn’t want to be the one who is rescued. Instead, she wanted to be the one to rescue her Princess at the top of the tower.

 

“Interesting. Our forefathers have always married the opposite gender. I suppose that makes me special for, I will be the first in history to marry a girl.” The heir grinned, growing excited at the very thought of marrying a girl. “What is her name? When can I meet her? Is she as beautiful as mother?”

 

Leaning back to his chair, the King laughed in relief. Eunji is really a splitting image of his beloved wife—unpredictable, chill and open-minded.

 

“Do not get too excited yet, my Princess. The time will come when you will meet her. But, I want you to focus on your training first. Become stronger and undefeatable.”

 

Eunji nodded, placing her palm onto her chest with a vow. “I understand, Father.”

 

“We, Jungs, are loyal to our partners and you must promise me that you will not love anyone but the Park Princess.”

 

“I promise you, Father. My eyes are solely and only for the Park Princess. I will protect, cherish and love her with my whole heart. I will make her the happiest girl in the world.”

 

 

~X~

 

 

The House of the Parks is a century-old castle backed by lush oak forests, dense groves and a stream from the Alps behind. Inspired from the catholic churches of the Roman Empire, it is constructed with silver stones, colorful crystals and clear marble. Covering nearly 30 acres of land, it is home to plantations, orchards, farms and stables.

 

Dubbed as the house of knowledge, special guests who had the special chance luck to step foot inside, have written many journals and articles about its extensive, encyclopedic library stocked with books from all over the world. Ranging from a variety of genres in a variety of languages, it is a paradise for bookworms and a dream for educators.

 

The Parks are known to be inquisitive, erudite individuals who love to fill their world with everything there is. Park Jungwoo’s obsessive interest in books ran in his blood, and his daughter too, took up the same liking.

 

For hours, twelve-year old Park Chorong sits in the library, reading books that are half her size. When words are too difficult, she will ask her personal assistant, Park Sojin for help.

 

But most of the time, she prefers to be independent and finds the meanings herself.

 

Unlike the Jungs who trains their heir strictly, the Parks are the complete opposite. They are peace-makers, not fighters. Rather than learning how to fight, the Park Princess is honed on fine, delicate skills such as literature, herbalism, speech and philosophy.

 

If the Jung Kingdom is known for its ferocious, destructive power, then the Parks are known as geniuses in strategy-play. Why start a war when one can cunningly move their way around with the power of their words? That makes the Parks so drastically different.

 

“What are you reading, my dear?”

 

“Oh, Father! My apologies, I didn’t know you were coming in!”

 

“No need to be so polite. Mind if I could talk to you for a moment?”

 

Jungwoo gently her daughter’s hair, always fond and affectionate. It seemed just yesterday that Chorong was a small, precious baby that he vowed to protect forever.

 

But he knows that Chorong will not always be hers. She belongs to someone else.

 

The Parks are devoted to religion, tradition and customs. The very thought of letting his daughter to marry the same gender is considered a sin. However, for the sake of peace, it has to be done.

 

“What is the matter, Father?” Chorong asked, noticing the slight frown on her father’s forehead.

 

“Don’t make such a sad expression like that. It’s nothing too serious.” Jungwoo smiled softly, pinching his daughter’s cheek. Perhaps it is true that having a daughter is better than a son.

 

Chorong frowned. She isn’t fond of being treated like a kid all the time. She is well-aware that her Father often spoils her and while she does enjoy it occasionally, she wanted to be treated as a mature Princess.

 

“You’re always saying stuff like that. Please don’t play around with your words, Father. I’m old enough to know adult things.”

 

“Yes, you’re right.” He sighed, bending down to look at his daughter in an eye-level position. “You are old enough to know adult things. That’s why I am here to tell you that you will be getting married to the Jung heir once you reach the age of twenty.”

 

To the King’s surprise, Chorong remained calm.

 

In a patriarchy monarchy, the Park women are seen as nothing but a “tool” to help men in terms of status, entertainment and to provide an offspring. It is the sad fate for the Park females but Chorong has come to accept it. Her aunts and cousins have all married off into other families so she’s never really questioned. It is simply her duty.

 

“I am sure you have read the historic texts about our alliance with the Jung Kingdom, how the war ended and the birth of our country, Soeul?”

 

Chorong nodded in response, recalling the events in the book.

 

“Well, among the other agreements we made, the two kingdoms agreed that as a symbol of our friendship, there will be a marriage between our children, that is you and the Jung heir.”

 

The King cupped his daughter’s cheek onto his palm. “The thing is, the Jung heir was born five months after you and we all thought that the Jung will have a son. We were so certain. But…the Jung heir is a girl.”

 

A girl.

 

Chorong’s eyes widened and she just panicked. Brought up in a religious household, homouality is such a taboo topic that the girl has never once mentioned it during dinner.

 

While she is aware that the world is becoming more open as many countries and kingdoms have approved and legalized same- marriage but, she isn’t quite sure if she could present herself well to another girl.

 

“Father…y-you’re not joking right? April Fools was last week…”

 

“My dear.”

 

It was what he had expected. Jungwoo embraced his daughter in his warm arms. He never wanted to tell her this.

 

“I am sorry for not telling you earlier. I thought that it will be easier to break the news to you when you are much older, but I feared that by then, it will be too late. This is something that concerns not just the family, but the country. Do you understand?”

 

Chorong sighed with a nod.

 

“I…I need time to think this out Father. It’s…just that I thought I was going to marry a man…A man just like what I read in the fairytale books. A prince in shining armor.”

 

“Dear, I’ll have you know that the Jung heir is just like the prince you imagined. She will be everything you need. Your hero to protect you. Your home to confide in. Gender doesn’t matter. What matters is that the both of you will love and trust each other.”

 

Jungwoo gently plants a peck onto Chorong’s cheek. “The marriage is still far away and I still have lots of meetings to discuss with the Jung. Don’t let this distract you. For now, I want you to focus on your training.”

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

It’s dark and eerie.

 

Walking through the abandoned village far from the Jung territory, Eunji isn’t sure why her father has brought her to this strange place. Ever since she was told of her arranged marriage, things have gotten a little busier.

 

Her trainings have become more rigid. She’s taking on more tasks that test her abilities to the limits. And here she is at Raven Woods—the place where Soeul’s last remaining witches reside.

 

For a long time, humans have been at war with witches who had full control with the paranormal-beings. From vampires, werewolves, ghouls, you name it. The witches loved to create chaos and watch the humans battle to death. It was entertainment to them.

 

But those days are long gone.

 

Thanks to the strong alliance of the Jung and Park, the witches were all annihilated into extinction. Heads chopped off and hanged onto poles, hearts pierced through their chests and bodies left to rot for crows to eat. There was not a single witch left, except for the ones at Raven Woods.

 

The Jungs found out that the witches’ magical abilities proved to be a useful tool especially in prophecy telling, which was very accurate.

 

Thus, the two kingdoms proposed a plan— in exchange of their freedom, the witches at Raven Woods will work with Soeul by using their magic to good use. And those who agreed to this slave job, are the twin witch sisters.

 

Along with Taehyun’s trusted bodyguards, Leo and Ravi, Eunji and her father arrived at the foot of a tall, metal gate. Rusty and old, it has been barricaded by a magical force that is impossible to break through. They stood in wait as the King announces his arrival through his powerful voice.

 

“Witch! It is me, the Jung King! Now, open the gates and let us in!”

 

As his voice echoed, thunder broke into the skies. A colony of bats flew across and the gate creaked open by itself. Purple mist engulfed their vision and there was a sudden chill in the air.

 

Once the fog cleared, the witch finally presented herself in an all-black robe. Her skin, the fairest of them all.

 

“Greetings Jung King. I see that you are right on time.” She sent a look at Eunji. “And you brought her along as well.”

 

“Let’s not waste anytime Naeun. You know what I am here for.”

 

The witch smiled with a nod. “This way.”

 

Leading the group inside the old castle, it houses over a thousand of rooms. Stepping inside, there are countless of oddly glowing potions on the shelves, stacks of magic books and a row of candle lights guiding the way.

 

Arriving in one of the small, dimly rooms, there is a table cloaked in a red cloth and a transparent orb placed in the center. After being ordered to sit down, Eunji felt uncomfortable as Naeun scanned her. Feeling the traces of her gaze going up and down, it was as if she was skinning her alive.

 

Naeun’s palms began to circulate around the orb as it glowed in a bright green hue. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

 

“I see…fire. Destruction.”

 

There’s some movement between her lips and her fingers began to shake.

 

“Lives of innocents lost all because of her…”

 

She frowned and slowly shook her head.  

 

“Anger, hatred…revenge.”

 

Opening her eyes, Eunji stared blankly into Naeun’s orange orbs that resembled those of a black cat. The witch smirked.

 

“But you need her. Want her. You will do anything just to have her back.”

 

She leaned forward and closer to Eunji’s face, her long nails gently trickling down her cheek.

 

“Be careful young princess. You may be strong and undefeatable but your powers can hurt the people you love. The choice is up to you.”

 

“Do not make up your prophecies witch!” The King jumped from his seat with a growl.

 

When Naeun warned the King of his wife’s impending death, he ignored, accused and even threatened her of making it up. But three years ago, Jung Hyerim passed away just as the witch said in her prophecy.

 

Taehyun could’ve avoided it if only he wasn’t so stubborn. But the Jung King is a man full of pride and did not want to admit to the prophecy. Now, he has to repent for his own loss and to this day, he hates himself for it.

 

And if this prophecy is true as well, he cannot bear to lose another one of his own.

 

“King. We must not harm the witch.” Leo reminded as Ravi calmed the King.

 

“Father…”

 

“I’m fine.”

 

Taehyun sighed and cleared his throat. Shooting a glare at Naeun, he reluctantly thanked the witch for the prophecy and commented that he will “take note” of his daughter’s worrying future.

 

With that, the Jung King, his daughter and bodyguards left the premises.

 

“Jung Eunji. I wonder if the King knows about the powers lying dormant inside her.” Naeun chuckled, returning to the living room as she put back her transparent orb. She was looking forward to what the future holds for her. There is just so much potential in that child.

 

“They’re gone now, Hayoung.”

 

A tall, blonde woman revealed herself from the wall, her body absorbing through the concrete. Walking up to Naeun, she pulled her into an embrace and gently her hair.

 

“How dare the King raises his voice at you…” Hayoung mumbled. “If he ever lands a finger, I will blow his head off and send it to the wolves for lunch.”

 

“And have the whole country hunting us down? You know that’s a really bad idea.”

 

“It’s a joke.”

 

Hayoung smirked, pulling Naeun closer to her arms. Taking a sniff of her neck, fangs automatically came out of her teeth. “Would you?” She hummed, tongue sliding down the slope.

 

“Go for it, babe.” Naeun tilted her neck slightly, giving consent for Hayoung to dig it. “Satisfy your hunger.”

 

Hayoung wasted no time to sink her fangs into Naeun’s skin. A quiet gasp escaped and then came, the sharp, painful sting and a throbbing warmth.

 

After a long fifteen seconds, Hayoung carefully removed her fangs and the wound, ling the remaining drops of blood. Kissing her as a reward for being such a good girl, the last surviving vampire of Soeul is always grateful to the witch.

 

Ever since the massive vampire massacre twenty years ago, Hayoung stumbled into Raven Woods and met Naeun who took her and offered her a place to stay. She managed to escape the hunters by a thin margin and owned her whole life to her.

 

The vampire vowed to be her slave forever and from there onwards, she helped the Witch Sisters to perform various tasks and jobs. This usually involved hunting for food, acting as a guard dog and killing members of the FWFH (Free World For Humans) group, a.k.a the anti-witch movement that has been going on since the Soeul’s decision to keep the twin sisters alive.

 

In the turn of time, Naeun and Hayoung began to develop a relationship from a master-servant, friends, and now, two women deeply in love.

 

“My heart aches every time I look at these scars. I’ve done nothing but pain to you.” Hayoung said, her eyes gazing down at the bite marks she’s left behind.

 

“We’ve had this conversation a thousand of times, babe.” Naeun cupped Hayoung’s cheeks into her palms. “This pain is never enough if I were to ever lose you. So please, don’t ever say that again.” The witch smiled and kissed her back.

 

“Uh, can you two like get a room or something?”

 

A woman cleared and shot a stare at the couple, eyebrows raising upwards in question. She was too lazy to open the door so she decided to use her powers and walk through into…that “lovey-dovey” scene in the living room.  

 

“For your information, I live in this house too. Did you forget?”

 

Naeun rolled her eyes at her sister’s loud, dramatic entrance. Immediately, she let go of Hayoung and crossed her arms.

 

“Well Namjoo, where have you been? I told you that the Jung King is coming over to get his daughter’s prophecy done and it should’ve been your job to make sure that he doesn’t create a whole fuss.”

 

“Sorry.” She scoffed. “I had other priorities. Prophecy isn’t my specialty okay?”

 

“Look. I’m not in the mood to argue with you right now.”

 

She shrugged. “You started it.”

 

“Ladies. Can we just settle down and not act like kids?” Hayoung interrupted, causing the two sisters to shoot a glare at her, immediately making her feel small. “L-let’s just proceed with the other schedules we have for today. Earlier, you said that there’s a patient at a mental asylum that needs some purification help? Let’s focus on that one, y…yeah?”

 

Hayoung could already sense the tension in the air as a long silence followed. Being in the same, middle-man position is something that the vampire dreads everyday.

 

“I’ll be in downstairs.” Naeun said, turning her heel round and into the basement, slamming the door shut.

 

“And I’ll be upstairs.” Namjoo replied, disappearing at the snap of her fingers.

 

Watching the two sisters vanish at sight, the vampire sighed. She isn’t sure when it started.

 

The witch sisters were once very close and loving with each other. Always filling the house with laughter and joy. But now, it’s nothing but a cold tension between them.

 

Naeun has her duty and responsibilities as the older witch in charge. She assists the human society under orders of the monarchy. But younger sister Namjoo, didn’t like to work for humans even though it was part of the contract.

 

In fact, Namjoo was envious of humans who were so free and adventurous. She was tired of living in the shadows for centuries in fear of being killed. She was sick of being called the “witch sister”.

 

So, she began to camouflage herself using magic and pretended to be a human. Spending time in the cities where she experienced their lifestyle, Namjoo went under the identity of a blogger called Joo.

 

Taking such a keen interest in the human world, she has completely forgotten her duties as a witch.   

 

 

~X~

 

 

Night has fallen but for Chorong, she is wide awake.

 

Making sure that all is quiet, she carefully opened her door and peeked left and right. Sneaking past her parents’ bedroom, Chorong tip-toed into the kitchen downstairs, stealing a loaf of bread and a first-aid kit from the top shelves. Stashing them into a basket, she stepped inside the dark basement cellar.

 

Halting her steps in front of one of the wine barrels, she laid flat down and stretched her hand underneath to pull a lever down. Followed by a thud, a secret opening revealed itself. Afraid that someone may have heard the noise, Chorong quickly squeezed herself in and crawled through the tunnel.

 

Now at the far end of her family’s spacious garden, she scurried over to a bicycle station and hopped onto her own. Taking one last look to ensure she isn’t being followed, Chorong cycled out into the open field.

 

Letting the moon guide her way, Chorong enjoyed the changing scenery around her. Along with a symphony of crickets and the reflection of the stream nearby, it’s little moments like these that lets the child feel free from days of being home-schooled.

 

Eventually, she arrived at a circus not far from the Park territorial grounds. It is closed and no one in sight. Chorong hid her bicycle inside the bushes and crawled through a small opening between the brick walls. Peeking through and ensuring the coast is clear, she ran across and entered one of its tents.

 

Inside, there are several cages draped over by large pieces of cloth. But Chorong knows which one to go. Walking towards the far end, she carefully tapped onto the metal bar and lifted the cloth over.

 

“Hey.” She whispered, handing the loaf of bread in. “This is all I got.”

 

“Didn’t I tell you to stop coming here? It's dangerous!”

 

“I can’t let you starve Bomi!”

 

The small, fragile and skinny girl frowned. But she took the loaf of bread and gobbled it up in seconds.

 

Frizzy and long hair drapped down her shoulders, Bomi is so thin that her ribs can be seen. It’s a sight that makes Chorong’s heart ache and the reason that fuels her frustration. Even though she is the Park Princess, she is in no power to do anything.

 

“Stay still.”

 

Chorong opened up the first-aid kit and took out a cotton wool. Damping it with antiseptic cream, she applied it onto Bomi’s cheek. There were cuts and bruises everywhere.

 

“Ouch!”

 

“It’ll be quick.”

 

Just as Chorong’s about to put a plaster on her face, Bomi grabbed her wrist and shook her head.

 

“You know, that will make it so obvious that someone’s taking good care of me. They will drag me out, beat me, ask questions and-”

 

“I’m sorry.” Chorong looked down, putting the plaster back into the first aid kit. Bomi smiled sadly at the Princess, still thankful for her kindness.

 

Bomi may look just like any child but she is actually a human werewolf.

 

Kidnapped and taken away from her family as a slave to perform in the circus, she is beaten and forced to transform, performing in front of massive crowd who see her as a monster. When she doesn’t listen, her masters beat and leave her to starve as punishment.

 

For three years, Bomi would’ve already died from her wounds. But she manages to stay alive all thanks to the Park Princess. Although the werewolf despises humans, Chorong is different. Unlike others, Chorong never calls her a monster. She’s never had a single fear in her eyes. The Park Princess treats Bomi just like everyone else and that warms her heart.

 

Ever since Jungwoo took his daughter to the circus, Chorong was not fascinated nor impressed by the performances. Instead, she took great pity on the animals and didn’t understand why they had to be out of their own habitat. The moment she learnt that a human werewolf was part of the performance, she could no longer stand still.

 

The Princess tried to convince her father, asking if she could buy Bomi or ask the circus owner to free her. But in the end, she was lectured and told to focus on her classes. Eventually, Chorong came down to the decision of secretly paying visits to Bomi, offering her food and care. This was the least she could do.

 

“You don’t look too good, Park Princess. Did something happen?” The young werewolf always took note of her expressions, every smallest detail. Born with sharp senses, she knows when someone is happy or sad. But this ability is both a blessing and curse. 

 

Chorong looked at her with a sad smile. “I just…found out from my father that I will be getting married by the time I turn twenty.”

 

“Oh…”

 

“And it’s not the prince charming I’ve always dreamt of. She’s a girl. I’m going to marrying the Jung heir.”

 

Bomi smiled and leaned her face onto the metal bar. “Well, let’s look on the bright side. I personally think that you’re quite lucky to have marry a female rather than a male.”

 

“Why do you say so?”

 

“Well, women are more delicate and sensitive when it comes to love. It will be much easier to get closer. You’re marrying when you reach twenty right? That’s in eight years’ time. A lot of things will happen by then."

 

“You’re right…but eight years’ time…” Chorong sighed, looking at Bomi. “Do you think I’ll be able to like a girl the same way I can to a boy?”

 

“Why not? Love is the all the same. It doesn’t have to apply to a specific thing, does it?”

 

“That’s true.” Chorong chuckled. “How is a werewolf like you, so wise and mature?”

 

“Wow, thanks for the compliment Park Princess. And how can a girl like you be so brave to talk to a werewolf like me?”

 

The two friends laughed. It’s conversations like these where time passes by very quickly. A rare friendship that has blossomed between a human and werewolf, met in the oddest situation.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

At the royal council meeting in the presence of elders, ministers, priests and advisors from all parts of the Soeul, the two Kings are seated in opposite sides of the grand marble table.

 

Agenda after agenda, the leaders were quick to set their opinions in place when it came to building Soeul. It has only been twenty years since its establishment, making it a fairly new country. From industrial plans to establishing new trade routes in the Western regions, the future of Soeul is looking bright.

 

And then came the final agenda, the arranged marriage.

 

Ever since Taehyun raised his concern of the witch’s prophecy, it has had the King worried for nights.

 

“So you’re saying that by letting our children meet, the future of Soeul will be endangered?” Jungwoo raised his eyebrow in doubt. “I think you are jumping straight into conclusions that don’t make sense, fellow Jung.”

 

Jungwoo has heard much of how accurate the witches’ prophecies are. Although he has never met one himself, The Park King doesn’t dare to deal with matters involving the devil in hand. As the Parks are quite a religious community, dark magic is simply out of the question.

 

“As much as I hate to say it, but I believe that having those two meet will result in chaos.” Jung Taehyun sighed, eyebrows frowning as he recalls Naeun’s words. “For all we know, this could mean a future war. A future threat!”

 

“Aren’t you being a little too superstitious, young one?”

 

One of the elders, Park Jangmin asked. He was once a feared genius strategist who succeeded in pulling off one of the best attacks in history. “How sure are you that the witch isn’t playing with you? We know how manipulative these witches are. They are cunning and will do anything to make things go their way!”

 

“Great Jangmin, I made the same mistake once and that cost the life of my dear wife.”

 

The hall went silent upon the King’s statement.

 

“Then what do you suggest that we do?” Jungwoo clasped his hands with a sigh.

 

“You know very well that backing out of this marriage pact is an insult to our alliance. Imagine how your image will be tainted by the citizens of Soeul, the reputation of your monarchy and your cowardice to listening in some words spoken by a witch. I thought the Jung King is much better than that.”

 

Taehyun hated whenever the Park King threatened him in such a way that attacked him personally. But that just makes Park such a difficult opponent to beat rhetorically.  

 

“I have a plan in mind, but I need your help, Park King.”

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

“Wait, what?!”

 

Eunji stood still in surprise, watching her servants clean her bedroom and stuffing all her clothes into large suitcases. This was all too sudden and she did not like it at all.

 

This was done without her own consent.

 

“Yes, young Princess, you are going to London.” Bada repeated, arms sternly crossed.  “Now stop standing there and start packing. The servants will not know what items you want to bring.”

 

“What on earth is Father thinking?!”

 

The heir sighed, frustrated because she is in no power to do anything. The King’s command is absolute and she was brought up to never question the King, even if he is wrong. It is simply the culture of the Jungs where its pack must listen to their leader.

 

If the King tells her to get married, she will get married.

If the King tells her to leave the country, she will leave.

 

“H-how long am I going to be there?”

 

“Until the day of your wedding.”

 

“What?!”

 

The heir shouted, her roar echoing along the hallway. This startled both Bada and her servants as they have never seen her in this angry. As if all of her frustrations and anger that were bottled up inside, were beginning to slowly seep out of the young heir, she had eyes that were burning with anger.

 

“It's got to be that witch’s prophecy! Father has been acting a little stiff lately and in the end, he decides to just cast me into a far away land, as if its part of the royal regime? I am not some tool that can be tossed around easily like that!”

 

“Princess, you must understand that this is for your own good.” Bada explained calmly. “The King cares for your wellbeing and decided that your training needs to meet top notch quality. London is a great place. There are wonderful teachers with much better experience, there is plenty of land to practice your hunting skills and you will be protected.”

 

“Protected? From what? Some evil being? I did not train the past seven years to be sheltered!”

 

“The King does not think that you are ready. Jung heir, you are still very young. Your talents need refinement. There are still many things you have yet to learn.”

 

Eunji exasperated, she can feel her blood boiling. It is an emotion she has never experienced before. Anger. So much of anger overflowing inside her. She has no idea how to control it.

 

Hurt that her Father has yet to recognize her hard work, frustrated that she has yet to be complimented by the King himself, it is always a “you can do better” and never a “good job”.

 

Responsibilities as an heir can be overwhelming at times, and it seems that Eunji is nearing the breaking point. She has no one to turn to for support in times like these. No one whom she can scream everything that is kept locked inside her, no one whom she can just confide to for comfort and just be that small, little girl she’s always wanted to be.

 

Since young, she was taught that an heir should not show tears and always be strong. An heir must always remain calm in dire situations. She learnt that the hard way, when her mother passed away. She was crying uncontrollably and her Father slapped her, hard.

From then on, Eunji has never shed a single tear and kept everything inside just like him.

 

That is because Eunji is the Jung heir. And no heir should ever show their weak side in front of everyone.

 

 


 

 

Author Notes:

Hi guys! This is just a prologue chapter to set up the story and let everyone know a bit of the characters. Eunrong has yet to meet but I assure you that things are going to move quickly in the next chapter where we will fast forward to the present time, eight years later!

For some context, Soeul is set in a modern timeframe where a royal monarchy is formed under two powerful clans which is the Jung and Park. Basically, it was necessary to form an alliance to fight against paranormal creatures; werewolves, ghouls, zombies, witches etc. In the upcoming chapters, there will be more historical context behind these, as its related to the Hana + Hajoo's side story ^^ Although do note that all of this is fictional and does not really represent anything in real life. 

How is the story so far? What do you think Naeun's prophecy mean and her mention of Eunji's "dormant" powers? Do let me know your thoughts as I love to read them!

Once again, thank you to the author of "Honour and Duty" for being the big inspiration behind this story. I've never really thought about a Royal AU for Apink and so, I've decided to challenge myself onto this complex genre!

See you in the next chapter~