Sunset Hues

The Jigsaw Puzzle

 

D:


 

Momo has never fully understood the science or the algorithm of the human body or anything about exact numbers in general, really.

For a personal example, it’d take her quite a while in the dance room to break a sweat whether she’s freestyling or choreographing.

Therefore. Given such simple formula more time/more strenuous an activity is, the most sweat she should produce. So someone, preferably America, explain.

Why in the world of barbies, are Momo’s palms sweating, like they’re touching the ocean surface, constantly, just by staring at Myoui Mina, the penguin sitting on the couch, munching on a bag of Banana Kick?

 

“I’ll think about it.” Mina had said. Although a tiny bit of Momo’s inside sigh in relief that Mina did not express violently towards her beautiful artwork, Momo can never conceal her disappointment that the aquamarine engagement ring was not promised on her girlfriend’s finger that day or has it yet.

“Momo.” Mina calls out, the older’s silent stare had caught her attention, and beckons Momo to join her on the couch who complies wordlessly. Sitting on the opposite ends of one another, Mina feeds Momo a banana chip and tilts her head, “What’s up?”

“Remember what we talked about last Saturday?”

“We talked about a lot of things, since you were gone for an entire week.”

“Yeah but,” a pause for some banana chips feeding, “the important one.”

Mina’s eyebrow raised, trying to rack through her files of memories for which one Momo implies to, “Ah.”

Momo’s heart race, her sweaty palms grab a throw pillow to hide the nervous indications. She became so still, Mina knew she’s hit the nail on the head.

Welp, Momo’s not gonna like her answer.

“Momo.”

“Yes?”

“At ease, Hirai.”

“Okay.” a semi-dramatic droop in her uptight position made Mina chuckle, but Momo more nervous.

“You’re not gonna like my answer,” the following seconds slow down exponentially as Momo’s KTX of thought takes a race to the possible reasons and how to cope with them, “but…” Mina’s sigh is only adding more fuel to the engine, “No.”

.

Can you hear that beep on hold? That silence as everything crumbles? All her plans? Reassurance? Dreams and future?

.

“Momo, we are not going with a jokbal theme wedding.”

“Wh- WHY??!?!” she knew it. Mina would never agree to such art. “How about.” Momo persuades, “A penguin. Eating a jokbal?”

“...” this got Mina thinking and Momo smiles slyly, “No.”

“Awh, but Minaaaaaa.”

The said girl rolls her eyes at her girlfriend’s childish tantrum and feeds her another banana chip, “We’ll have jokbal as the main course, mkay?”

“Hm… how much jokbal are we talking here?”

“As much as you want.”

“Can our room be filled with-”

“Jokbal? No.”

“Oh! I want a slide show. With-”

“-all our derps and favourite memes? Heck yeah.”

“Aw, you know me so well,” throwing the pillow on the ground somewhere, Momo spread her arms, “Come here, you-” only to be rejected by Mina’s raised hand.

“Momo, wait. Before that.” Mina heaves a long sigh and looks at the confused girl in front of her. “Yeah.”

“... Huh?”

“Yes, I’ll marry you, Momo.”

“... Oh…” 2 seconds of delay later, “OH!”

Mina rolls her eyes.

“Oh. OH? Ohhhh. Uh-”

“Aren’t you gonna put a ring on it?” the palm that faced Momo now faces downwards, still held up horizontally.

“Wh-what rin- oh! Oh. Uh, lemme. Lemme, go, get. It.”

“Momo?” But before she could leave, Mina tugs her down by her wrist and her teeth bites on one end of the banana chip, Mina’s teeth holding up the other end, their lips barely touching. Pulling back, Mina smiles, “Have a banana chip.”

“...”

“???”

Momo stopped moving and Mina’s getting more confused. When she finally made up her mind, Momo grabs the Banana Kick bag from Mina’s lap and throws it on their coffee table before towering over Mina, “You know what? I’ll get the ring later.”

“I’m fine with that.”


 

“What am I doing here?” Asks Jeongyeon.

“Following Sana and Nayeon who wanted to stalk Tzuyu and Chaeng on their date, of course,” answers Jihyo.

“Pft, it’s not stalking,” Nayeon defends, “We’re just looking out for them.”

“From what, Nabongs?”

“Hm. Beautiful people. Just in case one of them tries to flirt with our kids, I’ll intervene and they’ll fall for me, of course.”

“First of all, you just made that up. And second of all, why are they our kids?”

Nayeon couldn’t bother to reply in words and turned her head only to blow a raspberry at her spouse.

Grasping the bickering opportunity between the wedded, Jihyo tangles her hand with Sana’s, “Sana.”

“Hm, Jihyo?”

“Can we ditch?”

“Nope.”

“But I’m tired of babysitting,” she whines. Sana draws circles the palm of Jihyo’s hand, soothing her.

“Think of this as a triple date. And God Jihyo isn’t the type to quit now, is she?”

“No, she is not. Never.” Jihyo lowkey felt offended Sana would question such honour but she understood why.

“Then won’t you lead the way to our youngins, God Jihyo?”

“Of course, I can!” Jihyo’s exclamation is shortly cut off when she noticed they have reached an intersection of the mall, Nayeon and Jeongyeon are still arguing in the back, and Sana has been gazing at her the entire time. “Uh. Which way did they go?”

“Oh great, now we lost them.” Nayeon glares at Jeongyeon.

“We did????? Great! Let’s go back!”

“Nope, we’re splitting up and finding them. You go to the right. I’ll go to the left with Sana, and God Jihyo can go forward.”

“Yes, I, God Jihyo, can do fine on my own.”

“Uh, why am I going alone?”

“Because I said so.” Nayeon blows another raspberry.

“I’m fine with that,” Sana chirps and kiss Jihyo on the cheeks before linking arms with Nayeon, “Text us if you found them~”

“I wanna go home,” whines Jeongyeon, “And play with my legos. D, colon.”

Loud running steps rush her way as she hears Nayeon yell, "Yoo Jeongyeon!"

Annoyed, she turns around to be kissed by Nayeon whose hand holds onto her neck, "Wha-"

"Have fun," she bunny-smiles at her and Jeongyeon felt her heart skip a beat before snorting.

"Yeah sure."

"Thought you'd do better, having some alone time?"

"Yeah but I'd choose you over it anytime."

"Aw," hands interlocked, they continue onward the eastern path.

"No seriously, why aren't you going with Sana?"

"Truthfully?"

"Uh, of course?"

Nayeon leans into Jeongyeon's ear and whispers, "I wanted to spend time with you."

"Don't know if I can trust that, but I'll take it for now."

 

Meanwhile, watching the four elders from an ice cream shop in front are Tzuyu and Chaeyoung.

“Glass windows on shops have good reflections.” Tzuyu says.

The Simba laughs, “Even if we didn’t notice them, it wouldn’t have been normal to go on a date with the absence of some elders checking up on us. Plus, they get some time for a date too.”

“I think Nayeon Unnie and Jeongyeon Unnie is my favourite couple. They’re so different and are always having quarrels but at the end of the day, they make amends and make up for each other’s shortcomings.”

“They say your flaws are perfect for the heart that is meant to love you.”

Tzuyu turns to her, “Who said that?”

Chin in palm, propped up by her elbow, Chaeyoung follows her action, “Someone.”

“Do you believe in it?”

I believe in us, she wish to whisper. But Tzuyu u-turned the topic.

“I want us to be like Nayeon and Jeongyeon when we’re older. Different, but supportive.”

“Why do we gotta be like anyone else? Why don’t we? Be us, ourselves?”

Tzuyu blinks, thinking, while Chaeyoung takes a spoonful of her mint chocolate chip ice cream.

“Chaeng.”

“What?”

“I think I’m in love?”

The older makes a face, “Are you asking me a question??”

“Ah. I mean, ahem. I think I’m in love…?”

“That’s quite unsure of you. Are you gonna eat your cookies and cream?”

“Yeah, don’t-” Chaeyoung had already held up a spoonful of Tzuyu’s ice cream, so she extends her arm, “What?”

“Here. I’m feeding it to you.”

“Ah. Hold up, Lemme tuck my hair behind my ears so it doesn’t touch the ice cream.”

“Hurry up~ my arm is short and it’s getting heavy. The ice cream here is good, isn’t it?”

“Myeah. It’s alright. Tastes a bit minty though.”

“That’s cause it’s from my spoon.”

“... ah.” IS THAT AN INDIRECT KISS, she wish to question. “We should go now or else we’ll miss the movie.”

“Tzuyu.”

“Yeah?”

“You stared at me for six minutes, before you asked if you’re in love. We already missed the movie.”

“Ah..”

“But that’s fine.”

“It is?”

“More time to continue looking at each other.”

Tzuyu coughs unnaturally and covers her face with one hand, “Or we can go window shopping.”

“Are you blushing?”

“N-no.”

“Mhmm.”

“Chaeyoung.”

“Hm?” she hums, finishing up her ice cream.

“I.” Tzuyu tries to exert the words in , however they remain stuck every time, “I-”

“Chewy.”

“Yes?” finishing up Tzuyu’s melting ice cream for her by the time she’s finished mumbling, Chaeyoung stares at her lover’s eyes.

“I love you too.”


 

Although she is the proud and happy forever-alone member of the squad, Dahyun had mixed feelings when she was given the invitation to Momo and Mina’s wedding and also assigned to photograph photos of the outdoor location, where the tall grass will soon be blessed with the presence of the 9 loud girls and their loving families.

Don’t get her wrong, she’s genuinely jubilant for all the couples and their differing progress in their relationships. But to hear plans about Chaeyoung and Tzuyu getting a dog, or Sana and Jihyo moving in together,  or Momo and Mina talking about their wedding plans, or Jeongyeon and Nayeon planning on adopting a certain kid by the name:

With all those lovey dovey activities going on, Dahyun can’t help but feel kind of lonely at certain times of the day.

Which is why she often ventures to takes pictures, a hobby that keeps her spirit up and distracted.

Scanning the scenery through her camera lens, her eyes abruptly halt at the appearance of a silhouette standing atop a boulder in the nearby rock pool. He faces the evening flaming indigo sunset, his back to her. Hearing the zoom adjustment and click of her captured photo, Dahyun puts the camera down to see the picturesque silhouette with her own eyes.

A shooting star passes the darkening the sky as he turns to her, his hair tousled by the gentle wind, a similar camera held in his hands.

“Hey.” he greets, his eyes speak for him, those unspoken words.

“Hey,” Dahyun breathes, contrasting his warm smile, her eyes shimmer in the setting sun of joy and relief.

A crystal teardrop falls down her face and he has gotten near enough to wipe it off for her. With his warm palm against her cheek, Dahyun felt the revival of butterflies in her stomach and an additional star in her night sky.

The tilted back allows casting light on his hoodie, revealing his name and chosen number.

"Please don't leave," her frail breathing whispers. Tilting her head slightly down with his two hands on its side, he lingers a chaste kiss on her forehead, muttering,

"I won't. I'm here." She submits to his embrace and snuggles into the crook of his neck as he repeats the reassuring words, "I'm here, Dahyun."

-

-

-

tO be cONtINuEd :D

-

-

-

"True love stories never have endings"


(A/N)

1) WhAt iF, this wAS thE continUaTIoN of Expect the Unexpected? Just slIghtLY aLtEr- nyo esh not :3

2) There is no continuation to Dahyun's love story :3

3) All I can say is he's an OC, so it's all up to the reader's iMagInaTIoN

4) Tanks for reading~ I love open ended stories :v

5) Have a great day ^^

6) THAT "reader name thing" EDIT CHANGES HURT MY BRAIN, I'M JUST GONNA LEAVE IT AS IS. Mkay bye~