Colon, D

The Jigsaw Puzzle

“Nayeon, don’t be this extra.”

“I can be whatever I want, Jung.” She says with a mocking expression.

“Yeah but you look ridiculous waiting for Mina’s call so you can-”

The ringing of her phone follows with a crash and Mina finds herself frowning in the direction of the sound, with an Americano coffee in one hand and her phone in the other. She blinks twice, trying to register the fact that Im Nayeon just kicked opened her door that is now possibly - most likely - broken.

“Hah! I knew you’d call me even though we live right across the hall from each other,” claims Nayeon’s reason as she barges in while Jeongyeon walks in, a palm against her forehead as if trying to recall why she’s married to this bunny.

“Well I didn’t know if you were available or not,” shrugs Mina as she pulls up the hood to her onesie and resumes her walk to her room. The two trails behind the penguin to find her room unexpectedly clean.

The black screened pc evidence its inactive use. The crumpled yet made bed indicates the many times Mina had flopped on it and all over it. The jasmine scented candle wax was halfway through, its smoke leaving through the opened window, undisturbed.

The only thing scattered all over the floor is Momo’s jigsaw puzzle, a third to its completion.

“I figured you can’t help me so I was gonna ask if you can take care of Mimi for a day.. Or two.” Mina nods her head to their dog sleeping soundlessly in her bed. “She’s been missing Momo and seeing the jigsaw puzzle is motivating her midnight howls and active attendance at the door whenever she hears the jingle of keys.”

“Yay, I get to spend some time with the love of my life.” Nayeon cheers, making her way over to pet Mimi’s head, “Her food’s in the pantry right?”

“Myeah, I’ll pile her toys and favourite food later for you.”

Jeongyeon inspects the completed segments, “Mina, you sound really exhausted. You alright there, buddy?”

“Yeah I’m fine,” she breathes out a soft chuckle, “It’s just. Today’s already Friday and I haven’t gotten the motivation to finish it. All I can think about is the ring and how happy I’ll be when I see Momo tomorrow. But I won’t have this finished by then and I’ll feel I’ve disappointed her.”

“Oh, she told you about the ring?”

There was an awkward cough from Jeongyeon, “Yes Nabongs. Momo indeed mentioned the promise rings.”

“Wait? Promise rings? Wasn’t it-”

“Oh look at the time!” Mina absentmindedly turns to the clock, “It’s almost dinner time! What to do? I’ll have to get back and cook dinner now! Well Mina, it was nice checking up on you!” she gives her a quick hug and pulls the confused Nayeon out along with the sleeping Mimi in her arms.

“Nayeon, you would know where the stuff for Mimi is, right?”

“Myeah, totally. Just rest, mkay? We’ll bring Mimi over tomorrow and have some partay~”

“See you later~” Mina smiles, waving to their backs as they close the door for her before letting out a sigh.

 

“What the heck was that Jung?”

“You almost gave it away, you idiot!”

“... oh yeah huh” she smiles in embarrassment but then slaps Jungyeon’s arm.

“Ow! What’s that for, woman?”

“You made it so obvious we’re hiding something from her.”

“Yeah but she probs won’t notice.”

“But when she does…” the two thought for a moment and shudders.

“She’s so coming for you first.”

“Not if you protect me,” grins Nayeon as she links her hands around Jeongyeon’s arm who scoffs.

“So you’re saying you’re gonna sacrifice me instead.”

“Yes.”

“So who’s gonna love you?”

“Mimi.” With every answer, Nayeon inches closer to her wife.

“Who’s gonna protect you?”

“Mimi.”

“Who’s gonna cook for you?”

The tension of their hot breath against each other’s face dissipates when Jeongyeon laughs a snort after Nayeon whispers, “Mimi.”

“That isn’t even realistic.”

Grabbing hold of her head with both hands, Nayeon touches their forehead together with a smile. “That’s cause I’ll never let you go, you idiot.”

 

2 thirds completed with her given task, Mina leans back against her the foot of her bed and analyzes the piece of art. The midnight breeze through the window sweeps the curtains off their feet and unrests the goosebumps on her arms but Mina is too preoccupied to care.

The longer she stares at the derp, the more confused and dazed she gets.

It wasn’t something out of the ordinary, just another picture they’ll frame on the wall alongside many other pictures of the two or one by themselves or both with the group together. Mina felt sleepy, but she persists on as the puzzle becomes more and more revealed.

A phone call rings the silent night and Mina swipes it without looking at the caller, “Hello?”

“Hey.” that soft voice still makes her heart flutter. Grinning like a fool with a crush, Mina’s attention finally diverts to something else.

“Hi.”

“You sound exhausted.”

“I’m trying to complete the puzzle.”

“You realize I didn’t let the others help you.”

“Yis, I’m still lowkey mad at you for that.”

“My apologies.” Momo had a quick pause, “But that’s because I wanted you to work it with me.”

“... oh.”

“What section are you doing?”

“I’m working inward. So far, I got that chin and weird hairstyle. But not much of face yet. I pieced your eyes though.”

“Aren’t they beautiful?”

“Even when they’re crossed? Myea.”

“80% done?”

“86.4%. Talking with you helps.”

“I’m gonna take that as a compliment. How was your day?”

“Hm. Simple? Yours?”

“One with lots of food.”

Mina laughs, inserting a puzzle piece that fit perfectly on the first try, “All your days consists of lots of food.”

“We’re finishing up, so I’ll be back before dawn.”

“I’ll be sleeping by then.”

“Mina.”

“Yea, Momo?”

“Do you remember what you said on that day we had Nayeon and Jeongyeon’s wedding?”

“I said a lot of things. Plus I was sort of drunk from that sip of champagne.”

“Then you got mad at the service for delaying food so you sat up and threw a tan-”

“Let’s not go back to those memories.”

“What?” Momo laughs as Mina crinkles her nose, “You were cute.”

“Thanks, I already know that.”

“So do you still want blue past-”

“I’m done.”

“Eh?”

“The puzzle.”

“Good girl-”

“Don’t call me that.”

“Now glue it.”

“...”

“...”

“... can I do that in the morning?”

“No. Glue it now. So it can dry.”

“Ugh. I just finished a 500 piece puzzle man.”

“Now all you gotta do is glue and hibernate.”

“And go get promise rings in the morning? X, D? X, D?”

“Sure.”
“Sure? Sure!? You mean it’s not a yes? But a sure??”

“Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.”

“You hum when you’re hiding something.”

“No, I, don’t.”

“Yis. You. dos.”

“Finish glueing?”

“How’d you know I’ve been glueing even when I’m asking for it to be done tomorrow?”

“How not?”

“It’s why and why not. How not doesn’t make much sense.”

“Are you assuming how’s-”

“Do not. Throw that back at me. Now I know you listened on that conversation I had with Chewy.”

“I haven’t called you out for attempting to hire people though. I bet the first person you wanted to pay to do it for you is Jihyo too.”

“... Psychic.”

“Nah. Just your girlfriend.”

“I’m going to bed now.”

“You’re blushing.”

“No, I’m not.”

“You totally are.”

“Nyooooo, I’m not.”

“Yeaaaaa, you are.”

“Gnight Momo.”

“Gnight.”

 


...Continued be to