Honesty is a Virtue

The Jigsaw Puzzle

 

Tzuyu side glances Momo when a particular caller rings her phone that Sunday afternoon. The older’s confused face turns into a laughing one and nods her head, cueing Tzuyu to take the call.

“Hello unnie.”

“Hey Chewy, would you happen to like piecing jigsaw puzzles together?”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“...”

“Unnie, I’m on the dance tour with Momo unnie.”

“...”

“Yeah.”

“...”

“And Momo unnie wouldn’t be pleased if you’re hiring people to help work on something she wanted for only you to see.”

“No I’m pretty sure she’d love everyone to see her amazing derp.”

“You’re not denying that you’re hiring people.”

“Honesty is a virtue, Chewy.”

“It’s patience is a virtue.”

“Are you assuming that honesty is not a virtue?”

“...”

“Mehrong.”

“You can’t call Chaeng by the way.”

“Why not?? She loves meeee.”

“But she loves me more, so she’s not gonna help you. Mehrong.”

“Have you confessed yet?”

“...”

“Oh so you haven’t.”

“Unnie I can imagine that smirk as you sip tea.”

“Muhaha..”
“We’ll make a deal to keep it a secret, but not for this puzzle thing. You’re on your own, Unnie.”

“dO you nOt LOvE meee-”

“See you in a week, Unnie~” Tzuyu cuts the call before Mina’s rare whine could be heard and turns to Momo drinking her soda, “Are you nervous?”

“About?”

“The puzzle.”

Silence engulf the vacant store for a minute or two, “Knowing her if she’s found the motivation, she could finish it in 3 hours. I’m more nervous about the state of my derp after she read the message.”

“Makes sense. How about that one?” She points to an object in the glass.

Momo hums before raising her hand, “Excuse me. Can I take a look at this one?”

 

Mina’s second victim of the day isn’t as willing either.

“Isn’t it a wonderful day to-”

“Momo Unnie told me she wants you to call her after you complete the puzzle, Unnie.”

“Drats.”

“Hihi.”

“Dahyun, can’t you help me? Please?”

“No can do Unnie. I’m also quite busy these days since Finals Week is approaching and that means lots of peer tutoring.”

“What subject is it? Computer science? Physics? Math?”

“History.”

“Nevermind.”

“Hihi.”

“Stop laughing at your Unnie’s misery.”

“Can’t relate. I’m single and free~”

“Yeah, your eight best friends can’t relate to you either.”

“Ouch. So what is your plan today?”

“Sleep.”

“You haven’t started on the puzzle.”

“... what? Pft- no. I did.”

“What did you do aside from putting them in a neat pile?”

“Covered them with the box. Colon, D.”

“Goodbye Unnie.”

“D, Colon.”

 

Ending the call, Mina throws the phone somewhere and flops on their bed. The pearl white ceiling made it a perfect canvas to think and draw imaginarily and so her mind drifts to the girlfriend.

The last encounter of them in one room was at the airport. Momo wasn’t the type to just cut off contact for a few days, not to mention this time it’s for a month. And it’s understandable to Mina her month has been hectic all, but one whole month tells Mina Momo had something up her sleeves. Though it piqued her curiosity, a certain side of Mina is also scared. Scared for the unknown, or maybe just in general. She wanted someone, at least one person close to her, to be here for her when she reads the message. Just for moral support, if one wills.

However, Momo knew that. And knowing that, Momo has isolated Mina, allowing only her to embark on this journey of 500 pieces.

Why does it sound so dramatic?

Because Mina doesn’t want to start it, that’s really all.

 

“You look like a panda today,” Sana pointed out after Mina had trudged into their first lecture of the day. Laying her head on the table, she let Sana run her hand through Mina’s hair as a way to sooth her buzzing mind.

“She didn’t get enough sleep, duh.” Jihyo sits down on the other side.

“Only got 8 hours. That’s too little for this pengu.”

“How’s the completion of your project?”

“I’m going to guess 1%, meaning she got 5 pieces together.”

“Jihyo be more optimistic.”

“She is though,” Mina sighs, “I think I’m close to 0.6%.”

“... Mina it’s due in,” Sana pause to count the days on her fingers, “Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Fr- 5 days.”

“That.” Jihyo says, smiling at her lover, “Was adorable.”

“Jihyo, we’re trying to console Minari here.”

Sana’s glare only got a repeating phrase, “That too. Was also ador-”

“jiHYo!” Sana angrily whispers.

“SaNA!” Jihyo loudly whispers back.

“Momo.” Mina blankly said. The couple looks at her.

“What?”

“I thought we were saying our lover’s name.”

“You took a minute nap, didn’t you?”

“She totally did, 8 hours isn’t enough.”

“Yupyup, Jihyo understands me.”

“Did you do last night’s homework, Sana?”

“... What last night’s homework?”

“There was last night’s homework?”

The last night’s homework,” Jihyo holds up her notebook as Sana and Mina whispers a high-shriek scream and another, internally.

 

“THIS IS WHY I NEED MORAL SUPPORT.”


They're not in this together~