A Pleasant Surprise

You Look Like My Dad

a/n: Update takes place after the article has been published

 

 

----

 

It took a lot of talking and negotiating but they made it work. Sicheng had talked to Xiaojun’s principal and with a little help from Yuta’s Manager, they had successfully convinced the principal for the transfer. It turns out, Minho knew Kyuhyun , the principal at the school Xiaojun was intended to transfer, and put in good words for Xiaojun. Yuta thanked him profusely, but Minho just congratulated him getting back together and perhaps a good game if he happens to continue being a coach.

 

 

Yuta and Xiaojun quickly packed their belongings and in a matter of a week, had integrated their lives into Jaemin’s and Taeyong’s lives. The apartment now felt warm and with addiditonal pictures that hanged on the wall, it felt like the were never separated at all.

 

 

“Why can’t you come tonight?” Taeyong pouted as Yuta handed him his chef’s vest, a deep red and black that Yuta seemed to like on Taeyong the most.

 

 

“Because I had prior commitments.” Yuta answered and Taeyong sighed, he wanted Yuta to be there for him when he serves the Japanese Embassy contingencies. “We’ve tasted everything and we approved it, you will do well okay?” Yuta assured him and kissed his husband before buttoning the last few buttons on the uniform.

 

 

“I still wish you were there.” Taeyong sighed and kissed his husband once more.

 

 

“Hate to rain on your parade but appa, you gotta leave if you want to make sure our kitchen is not in chaos.” Jaemin said from the bedroom door and Tayeong sighed but nodded.

 

 

“We’ll behave, Jisol Samchon and Marco Samchon are going to be here to look after us!” Xiaojun added and Taeyong ruffled both of his son’s hair before giving them a kiss on their foreheads.

 

 

‘I trust you two.” Taeyong said and the two smiled as they handed his phone and keys.

 

 

“You’ll do well appa!” Xiaojun said to encourage his father.

 

 

“Break a leg but not the plates!” Jaemin said after and it made Taeyong laugh, remembering the plates he broke so many times when he couldn’t perfect his dishes.

 

 

“I won’t promise.” Taeyong said and waved goodbye then left the apartment to go to his restaurant.

 

 

Once they were sure that Taeyong had driven out of the complex, Jaemin and Xioajun immediately called and texted their friends who were waiting to implement their plan. Yuta leaned on the doorway as he watched his children scuttle around the apartment to get ready. Yuta couldn’t believe he had agreed to his twins to not tell Taeyong about his attendance at the private dinner for the Japanese Embassy just to surprise his husband but to be honest, he liked the idea of Taeyong seeing him again wearing something he knew Taeyong missed.

 

 

Xioajun came out of his room holding a suit bag and handed it to Yuta with a grin. Xiaojun had taken the effort to hide his kimono, away from Taeyong, to make sure the plan would go well. Yuta had just taken a bath prior and he was in his fluffy robe to change easily and xioajun had shoved him inside the bathroom to change into his Juban.

 

 

After Yuta had emerged from the bathroom in his juban, he was surprised to see Donghyuck, Jeno and Renjun with Doyoung and Sicheng in their living room but seeing what Donghyuck was pulling with him, he understood, they really went all out on this one. Doyoung had explained how they had to find the perfect shade of foundation for him as Donghyuck set up his stuff on the vanity.

 

 

“it’s not yet my wedding.” Yuta had joked but Doyoung glared at him.

 

 

“Think of it as preparation.” Doyoung said and Yuta sighed and allowed Donghyuck to do his magic.

 

 

“How are the preparations?”  Yuta asked while Donghyuck made him wear a fluffy headband and Doyoung grinned at him.

 

 

“Great, Kun and Ten knew a lot in the entertainment industry to get a venue and the singers, and Sicheng pulled off with the catering and the hotel. And I had just contact for your suits.” Doyoung informed Yuta who hummed.

 

 

“Seo triplets are here!” Jaemin screamed from the living room and immediately Donghyuk was greeted by Mark and Lucas who handed each of them some drinks.

 

 

“Who drove you here?” Doyoung asked.

 

 

“Both baba and papa.” Mark answered and as if on cue, the two came bounding in to check the progress.

 

 

“This feels like highschool.” Ten remarked and Yuta chuckled as Donghyuck applied his foundation.

 

 

It took a few hours but Yuta’s hair and make up looked perfect that Kun had to take some pictures to keep. Yuta went to the bathroom to wear his entire Kimono and when he stepped out, their jaws dropped at the stunning Japanese.

 

 

“No wonder Taeyong fell for you.” Kun remarked and snap some more photos.

 

 

“Can.. Can you wear a kimono on your wedding?” Jaemin asked and Yuta smiled and nodded.

 

 

“Of course.” Yuta answered and Jaemin smiled as well.

 

 

“Then can I wear one too?” Jaemin asked and Yuta turned to Doyoung.

 

 

“it’ll be a challenge but of course you can!” Doyoung remarked.

 

 

“Can I wear a hanbok then?” Xiaojun asked and Doyoung smiled.

 

 

“Definitely!” He replied.

 

 

“Okay, family picture!” Ten shouted and the three gathered in the living room to pose for Ten and Kun.

 

Sicheng had called in a taxi for him because even though Yuta can drive, they did not want the Kimono to be creased in any way possible. Yuta thanked them once more and he left the apartment, trusting his sons not to set it on fire.

 

“We’ll stay here to continue planning your wedding with your sons.” Scheng reminded his friend.

 

 

“We’ll cook don’t worry.” Kun assured him and Yuta bid goodbye.

 

 

----

 

Taeyong was nervous, a whole lot of nervous, and it was something Jackson thought he won’t see his boss be. He was checking and rechecking the ingredients and the plates, and it elevated the kitchen’s stress level to a whole new high. He pulled the boss out of the kitchen and into the back room and Jackson can see the vulnerable face of his boss and made him frown.

 

“What’s gotten into you?” Jackson asked and Taeyong stayed silent. “You want me to call Yuta?” He asked and Taeyong looked at his secretary and nodded. Jackson immediately got his phone and dialed Yuta’s number, once the line picked up, he shoved it to his boss.

 

 

“Hello, Jackson hyung” Yuta’s voice was soft and Taeyong instantly smiled.

 

“Yukkuri.” Taeyong breathed out and Yuta stayed silent for a few seconds before he laughed.

 

 

“TY track are you nervous?” Yuta asked and hearing a familiar nickname, Taeyong smiled wider.

 

 

“Yeah.” Taeyong breathed out and Yuta hummed.

 

 

“You’ll do well. Your Japanese is good and your food is great, just enjoy this opportunity and take it as a rehearsal dinner ‘kay?” Yuta said and Taeyong sighed.

 

 

“I’m not cooking for our wedding.” Taeyong informed him.

 

 

“Yeah, you were banned by Sicheng.” Yuta chuckled. “Just relax and enjoy the night, I will give you a reward later.” Yuta said and that perked Taeyong up.

 

 

“Really?” Taeyong asked and Yuta hummed. “See you later Yukkuri.” Taeyong said and they bid their goodbyes.

 

 

Taeyong handed the phone back to Jackson and the secretary could see his boss’ game face was on. He smiled as he followed his boss back to the kitchen and they gathered for the last minute instructions. Everyone breathed out in relief to see their boss back into his usual self that they preferred and got into action, preparing for a special dinner.

 

 

Jackson was tasked to greet the guest and he put on his charming smile as he greeted the Japanese contingents but had to stop and blink a couple of times when he saw Yuta stepped out of a car. Yuta grinned and bowed at him and Jackson grinned back.

 

 

“Was he expecting you?” Jackson asked and Yuta shook his head. “Good, I didn’t tell him you were in the guest list.” Jackson said and they shared a good laugh.

 

 

The guests mingled at as they were gathered into the restaurant, and they settled on their seats. Yuta was invited long before due to his contribution as an athlete and the Japanese Embassy was planning to give him an award in the coming year end party along with other personalities who had made an impact in both Japan and South Korea. He found himself next to his idols, world star and emperors of Kpop, Tohoshinki, and he was delighted to be given and opportunity to talk to them.

 

 

Once all guests were settled, Taeyong made his presence known to introduce his courses and his gratitude to host the private dinner. Yuta smiled as he watched his husband walk out from his kitchen wearing the red and black chef uniform, a color that matches his own kimono. Taeyong walked confidently to greet his guests but when he locked eyes with Yuta, his world stopped.

 

“Yukkuri?” Taeyong called out and Yuta smiled and walked up to him. “What are you doing here?” Taeyong asked.

 

 

“I am invited.” Yuta replied and Taeyong looked at Jackson who was grinning at him. ‘To be honest, I did not know it was your restaurant before I confirmed my attendance.” Yuta explained then turned to the Japanese Ambassador and spoke in Japanese. “He’s my husband.” He informed him and the man nodded and smiled.

 

 

We were informed. Did you surprise him?” the older man asked and Yuta nodded making the man laugh. “It’s nice too see you still are playful with each other.”  The ambassador laughed and Taeyong smiled.

 

 

Thank you.” Taeyong replied fluently and the ambassador was caught off guard. “I started learning Japanese for Yuta and had stayed in Japan for a couple of years so I am fluent with the language.” Taeyong explained and the guests all nodded in understanding. ‘I must say, I did not know it will come in handy but I guess, we are always hit with surprises.” Taeyong said and chuckled, making everyone laugh. “Excuse my behavior but I must compliment my husband, it’s the first time in a long time that I’ve seen him wear a kimono, and god, he’s stunning.” Taeyong said and they all laughed while Yuta blushed then kissed his husband before he returned to his seat.

 

 

This dinner was conceptualized with Japan as the center and Korea as a partner, I could say I drew inspiration from Yuta and my relationship, a push and pull, a battle that was settled, a synergy of two culture.” Taeyong spoke with stars in his eyes and Yuta smiled at him, swelling with pride. “I hope you’ll enjoy what we’ll serve to you as representation of myself expressing your culture.” Taeyong said and everyone applauded.

 

Once Taeyong retreated to his kitchen, his staffs were grinning and they were sure their head chef was delighted to see his husband. Taeyong felt ecstatic and his previous nervousness was washed away with Yuta’s healing smile. Taeyong had checked the plates before he had called for service and the waiters eagerly lined after Taeyong.

 

My first course is fitted for summer, it’s a Chilled Tofu with Kimchi. Please enjoy the delicate texture of the silken tofu with Japanese soy sauce and a touch of Kimchi to contrast.” Taeyong informed them and the waiters served them the delicate plate.

 

The guest applauded, and they gladly tasted the dish, pleased smiles appeared on their faces as the conversation started. Yuta was beaming as he heard the compliments poured in for his husband.

 

Taeyong returned to introduce the entrees and everyone was delighted as plates of sashimi, sushi, robata and tempura were placed for them to share. The atmosphere that the plates gave was homely and this was what Taeyong wanted to capture, the feeling of home, with Yuta he was at home. Conversations around the table were light and nostalgic and as Taeyong came back to check up on them, holding sake to pour for his guests, he received compliments of various kinds. He thanked them sincerely, yet the most heartfelt compliment came in the proud smile of his husband who was absolutely beautiful and beaming as he looked at Taeyong.

 

 

Taeyong-kun, your food is impeccable.” The ambassador said and Taeyong thanked him sincerely.

 

We still have dessert, please enjoy the meal up to the last dish.” Taeyong said and the ambassador smiled and nodded.

 

The dessert was simple but beautiful, the waiters served Daifuku and Namagashi along with carefully brewed matcha. Taeyong was not sure about this as he knew that serving tea is something ceremonial to Japanese but Yuta assured him that it was okay and that they will appreciate the gesture; it was not a tea ceremony, it is a homage to a tradition. The delightful faces of the guests were enough confirmation and the resounding applause that he received after was music to his ears.

 

 

The night ended when the guests leave and both Yuta and Taeyong thanked them as they exited the restaurant. The ambassador shook hands with both of them and congratulated them as well as thanking them for such a pleasurable night. As the doors closed, Taeyong pulled Yuta into an embrace, breathed his scent and just dwelled upon the warmth his husband radiated.

 

 

“You did great Taeyong.” Yuta whispered and Taeyong hummed before he kissed Yuta’s neck.

 

 

“You look really stunning.” Taeyong said and kissed his husband, lips warm and sweet like the daifuku.

 

 

“You missed me wearing a kimono?” Yuta asked teasingly and Taeyong nodded. “What about taking it off of me?” Yuta asked and Taeyong gaped before grinning at his husband. “You deserve a reward, and the kids are with Doyoung and Kun.” Yuta winked and Taeyong hurriedly pulled his husband towards the back door while yelling at Jackson to close up.

 

 

Yuta laughed as he ran behind Taeyong, waving at Jackson who was grinning and towards the staff who waved at him and wished him luck. “Do I expect you tomorrow?” Jackson yelled, and he was sure a loud ‘No’ was yelled back as the door closed behind the couple. Jackson laughed and instructed the staffs to clean up, they are on their own tomorrow and they could not afford a slip up.

 

 

“Finally, Chef Lee got to have his well-deserved vacation.” A junior staff muttered, and Jackson laughed at him.

 

“He does, doesn’t he?” Jackson asked back and everyone celebrated by drinking the sake reserved for them, too bad Taeyong had to miss it but they were sure Taeyong deserve a different high that only Yuta can provide.

 

 

 

 

Aa/n: I searched for Japanese food and I got hungry writing this chapter.

 

And I know this is a PG-13 type of fic but would you want to know what happened to Yutae after dinner?

Holler at me ^^