Seventeen Years But Who's Counting?

You Look Like My Dad

A/N: Did I write it like it ended? Well not yet.. because there are some things that needed resolving. They may have forgiven each other, but there is still a family to piece back together.

 

 

---

 

 

After the fireworks, they were all asked to gather at the camp mess hall for the dinner. Taeyong and Yuta apologized to the management for their commotion and the head was more than happy to be of actual help with their situation, quoting him that ‘building strong camaraderie is our goal and seeing that it rebuilt a family is a good feeling’. Taeyong and Yuta walked hand in hand to the mess hall and they both felt like they were back to being college students with young love blossoming. They were smiling so much that both Jaemin and Xiaojun were creeped out with how wide and bright their parents’ smiles were.

 

 

“I love them together but aren’t you creeped out?” Jaemin whispered to his brother who nodded.

 

 

“I love Tou-chan’s smile, but yeah, I get what you mean.” Xiaojun replied and they both giggled.

 

 

They all settled on their usual table, a tight squeeze now that they have a lot more people joining them. Taeyong pulled Yuta immediately to sit next to him and asked Xiaojun to sit on his other side, Jaemin opted to sit next to Yuta.

 

 

“So, are you back together?” Johnny asked as they were served food and both Yuta and Taeyong exchanged glances before nodding. “I would love to hear your back story but of course, this is a happy occasion so let’s keep that for a night with beer and soju.” Johnny remarked and they all laughed. “So, I want you to meet our sons, Lucas is Kun’s and Mark and Hendery are Ten’s” Johnny pointed to his sons who bowed at Yuta in respect.

 

 

“Oh, wow you have such a brood.” Yuta remarked.

 

 

“Hendery and Xioajun like each other.” Ten dropped and both Johnny and Kun glared at him. “It will be out eventually.” Ten shrugged and both Hendery and Xiaojun blushed.

 

 

“You’re too young!” Taeyong blurted out and Xiaojun looked at him with sad eyes.

 

 

“We were young too when we got together and have them. Let Xiaojun be.” Uta assured his son and Xiaojun smiled shyly. “At least we know Hendery came from a good household.” Yuta sassed and Taeyong could only sigh.

 

 

“These are our sons, Renjun and Chenle.” Taeil then introduced and Yuta’s eyes widened and looked at both Taeil and Sicheng.

 

“Renjun is your godson Yuta hung.” Sicheng said and Yuta smiled wide.

 

 

“Oh my baby? I named you honey!” Yuta said and Renjun smiled at him.

 

 

“And I named you Xiaojun.” Sicheng confessed.

 

 

“Oh, that’s why I have a Chinese name even though I am Japanese with a Korean surname?” Xiaojun asked and Sicheng chuckled but nodded.

 

 

“I apologize for that.” Sicheng said and Xiaojun was flustered but thanked his godfather.

 

 

“And here are my twins!” Doyoung proudly introduced Donghyuck and Jeno.

 

 

“I am a fan.” Donghyuck was grinning happily. “Can I take a picture with you? Please? I won’t post it on twitter if you don’t want to!” Donghyuck said and Yuta chuckled and smiled at him.

 

 

“Come here, go ahead.” Yuta offered his arms and Donghyuck instantly ran to him and hugged him before taking pictures of them together.

 

 

Hansol introduced his family as well and soon they were eating happily.

 

 

“So Jaemin, are you seeing anyone?” Yuta asked his youngest who smiled and nodded like a puppy.

 

 

“Jeno and Renjun.” Jaemin answered and Yuta choked on his food, prompting Taeyong to hand him water.

 

 

Yutag gladly took it then turned to Taeyong. “you dare limit Xiaojun but allowed Jaemin to date not just one but two boys?” Yuta raised a brow and Tayeong can’t come up with an answer to that.

 

 

“I.. I just got to meet him.” Taeyong replied and Yuta sighed.

 

 

“You can’t stop him from liking who he wants.” Yuta said and they all laughed, it’s as if they never separated with how Yuta integrated himself back into the circle.

 

 

“Oh .” Donghyuck muttered and Jaehyun looked at his son. “I’m sorry.” Donghyuck looked up to his father then to Yuta. “I just found out that there’s pictures of Taeyong Samchon and Yuta samchon spreading in twitter and rumors are spreading. I didn’t post it I promise!” Donghyuck handed Doyoung his phone and raised both hands in surrender.

 

Doyoung browsed the timeline and looked at Yuta and Taeyong with his wide eyes. Just before he could speak, both Yuta’s and Taeyong’s phones rang and surprisingly it was the same. They excused themselves to answer them and both Jaemin and Xiaojun turned to their friends who informed them of the pictures of their parents in their earlier stint.

 

 

“Appa’s popularity is no joke.” Xiaojun mused.

 

 

“He’s the Korean Ramsay.” Jaemin reminded his twin. “But what does this say?” Jaemin pointed to a Japanese article and Xiaojun translated it.

 

 

“It said, Japanese Top athlete Nakamoto Yuta having a secret lover.” Xioajun said and Jaemin gasped.

 

 

“Top Athlete?” Jaemin asked and Xiaojun nodded.

 

 

“Hello, I told you that like unlimited times.” Donghyuck groaned and Mark patted his back.

 

 

“Okay kids, eat up. This is something the adults will need to deal with.” Kun reprimanded them and the teens groaned but continued with their food while the adults looked at each other, they just got them back together and a mere rumor will not hinder their friends.

 

 

---

 

 

“Yes Jackson hyung?” Taeyong asked and the other was spitting words like a rapper on drugs but thankfully Taeyong understood it. “Calm down hyung.” Taeyong replied with a sigh.

 

 

“Okay, tell me one thing I need to know Taeyong.” Jackson said and Taeyong grinned.

 

 

“I got him back.” Taeyong said and there were curses from the other line making Taeyong laugh. He knew Jackson would be ecstatic and hearing him curse in English, Mandarin, Cantonese and Korean is a sure fire deal that Jackson was in deed happy.

 

 

“Okay. Congratulations. Now off to the situation. What do you want me to tell them?” Jackson asked and Taeyong hummed.

 

 

“I want to discuss this with Yuta, I don’t want to make decisions that would affect us. Hyung, we just got back together.” Taeyong voiced out and Jackson agreed.

 

 

“I will tell them nothing at the moment. I want you to really think about it. You know that we will support you no matter what?” Jackson reassured him and Taeyong was grateful he had him in his life.

 

 

“Thanks hyung. Once we get back you take your family to a vacation!” Taeyong squealed.

 

 

“Nah, you need that more than I do. Besides, I am planning to take Mark hyung to our honeymoon, we are turning 25  next year!” Jackson said and he heard Jackson curse as Mark laughed at the background.

 

 

“Wasn’t that supposed to be a surprise?” Taeyong teased and Jackson huffed.

 

 

“Well, now it’s not. Keep me updated okay?” Jackson said and with Taeyong reassurance he hanged up.

 

 

 

----- 

 

Yuta answered the phone calmly and Minseok’s voice filtered in.

 

“Yuta?” Minseok sounded unsure and Yuta had never heard the older like this.

 

“Yeah hyung, is there a problem?” Yuta asked back.

 

 

“Yeah, Minho called and asked about you, seems like there are rumors spreading about your secret relationship.” Minseok said and Yuta sighed.

 

 

“It spread so quickly.” Yuta sounded defeated.

 

 

“It’s your personal life and we respect that. Minho called me to get a hold of you and assured you that we’ll respect your decision and your personal life, but if you need our help, we will do whatever we can.” Minseok said and Yuta was grateful. It’s not like their manager was intimidating, but Minseok is someone he trust most and their manager knew that well.

 

 

“Thanks hyung. I want to discuss this with Taeyong first.” Yuta replied.

 

 

“Taeyong? You mean Lee Taeyong?” Minseok asked and Yuta confirmed. “No wonder it got spread quickly, Lee Taeyong is a big shot celebrity chef. Ah, but whatever you are comfortable to share I am okay with it.” Minseok assured hm. “We won’t release any confirmation, but we’ll try to fend off reporters.” Minseok said and Yuta thanked him sincerely.

 

 

Yuta went to find Taeyong and the latter was just looking for him too. They both shared a knowing glance and sighed.

 

 

“We need to talk.” Taeyong said and Yuta nodded. “I love you and I don’t want to lose you.” Taeyong assured him and Yuta smiled and kissed his husband.

 

 

“You’re going to lose your reputation.” Yuta replied and Taeyong wrapped his arms around his husband and pulled him tightly into an embrace.

 

 

“Don’t care.” He mumbled as he buried his face on Yuta’s neck. “I would choose you over reputation.” Taeyong added and it made Yuta smile.

 

 

“I’m sure we can work things out.” Yuta said and gently pushed Taeyong off of him. “We need to talk to someone.” Yuta informed him and Taeyong nodded, holding his husband’s hand and leading him back to their table.

 

 

When they returned, the look on their friend’s faces were hilarious, It was like they just came from a funeral. Yuta and Taeyong took their seats and Jaemin instantly hugged his father, surprising Yuta. Xiaojun tapped his father’s shoulder and when the older turned to look at his son, Xiaojun hugged him too and Taeyong was dumbfounded.

 

 

“We are not breaking up.” Taeyong announced and they all looked relieved.

 

 

“We wanted to ask Doyoung to help us though.” Yuta turned to Doyoung who looked at them with wide eyes. “We want you to write an exclusive on our story.” Yuta said with a smile.

 

 

“I don’t write anymore.” Doyoung replied and Taeyong nodded.

 

 

“We know, but you started with writing.” Taeyong said and took Yuta’s hand to kiss it. “we want to share what we have and you’re the only one we can trust to write it as truthfully as possible.” Taeyong said and Jaehyun shook his husband.

 

 

“You can do this Doie!” Jaehyun said and both his twins gave him a hug.

 

 

“Remember how you corrected our journalism teacher for her grammar? You were so cool  papa! You can do this.” Donghyuck said and Doyoung was tearing up.

 

 

“You really want to trust me with your story?” Doyoung asked and both Yuta and Taeyong nodded.

 

 

“But we gotta do it now Doyoung hyung, your monthly deadline is this coming Friday.” Sicheng reminded his hyung and Doyoung’s eyes widened.

 

 

“We’ll take the pictures, you just need to write it.” Johnny pointed to himself, Ten and Kun who smiled at him.

 

 

“We’ve got lots of gaming computers and laptops in the RV, but I am sure there are office apps in there.” Jaehyun assured and Doyoung looked at Yuta and Taeyong.

 

 

“You sure you want this?” Doyoung asked and both Yuta and Taeyong nodded. “Okay. But we gotta leave. With how the rumor is spreading, it won’t take long for paparazzis to come in here. I don’t want to risk ourselves or everyone around here.” Doyoung said and they all agreed.

 

 

“We were planning to go back to Busan tomorrow, we can do the interview there.” Yuta said and Hansol stopped his friend.

 

 

“Not tomorrow, now.” Hansol said and Taeil agreed.

 

 

“I’ll take care of the management. Go and prepare to leave.” Taeil said and Sicheng came with him, working as an HR, Sicheng is the right person to talk to the head.

 

 

The others hurriedly packed their stuffs and Jaehyun instructed their drivers that they will drive off to Busan. Sicheng and Taeil came back with a go signal and they all boarded the RV. The kids boarded the second RV and the parents were warried but assured them that they will behave and not do things that will make them grounded for life. Marco glared at his two sons but Hansol pulled him towards their own RV.

 

 

“I already placed the drinks in the cooler.” Their driver informed Jaehyun who thanked him and then proceeded to strap themselves for the trip.

 

 

Doyoung had just gotten off the phone with his boss and he smiled and asked for a laptop from Jaehyun. Johnny gave him one and he started writing down his questions for the interview. He looked so focus that Jaehyun can’t help but smile like a teenager looking at his crush.

 

 

“stop staring Jae!” Doyoung reprimanded his husband.

 

 

“Can’t I stare? You look so lovely all focused like that.” Jaehyun said and Doyoung rolled his eyes from the cheese. “Reminded me of the time you’re doing your thesis.” Jaehyun said and Doyoung flushed because that night when he finished his thesis… it was a magical night to be honest.

 

 

“No need to be shy, we are adults here.” Sicheng wolf whistled and it made Doyoung throw a pillow at the younger, and everyone burst out laughing.

 

 

“Gosh youa re all insufferable.” Doyoung hissed but everyone can see the smile on Doyoung’s face.

 

 

 

 

----

 

 

Neo Culture Exclusive Interview: Top Chef Taeyong and Top Athlete Yuta reveals their relationship

 

 

Seventeen Years But Who’s Counting

Written by: Doyoung Kim-Jung

Photos by: Johnny Seo, Ten Lee-Seo, Kun Qian-Seo

 

 

                I rarely write feature articles as I climbed the hierarchy, but I felt entrusted with this particular story, something that the people involved believe that I, alone, can write.

 

The news broke of a secret relationship between two celebrities of their own right, about how they were seeing each other behind the public’s eyes. But little did we know about them, even for friends like me, I only knew the bare minimum.

 

 

“We didn’t make our relationship public for obvious reasons, we were both hurting.” Taeyong said when we started the interview, a few hours since the news broke and spread in social media. We were on board one of my family RV’s and driving back to Busan where Yuta currently lived with his son Xiaojun.

 

 

“We didn’t even know where we stand, there were no documents that stated we were separated, yet we weren’t together to declare.” Yuta added, sipping his tea that Taeyong memorized by heart.

 

 

The two go back, both were college sweethearts and project partners where, as cheesy as it sounds, brought them to like each other. They got married a little before graduation and they moved to Japan, and yes Yuta got pregnant. As far as my memory would recall, this was the most I could share, and what ever that follows, it’s what Yuta and Taeyong are willing to divulge and share to everyone.

 

 

“We started fine, Yuta and I made it work but it was tough and draining for me. I wanted to provide for my family and also fulfill my dream in pursuing dance as a career.” Taeyong said as he took Yuta’s hand and kissed it, a gesture I recalled that he had been doing way back in college. “But it didn’t pay much and I hated how I felt useless as a husband.” Taeyong said and Yuta looked at him with sad eyes.

 

 

“I didn’t understand why Taeyong didn’t want me to work back then, I just wanted to help because Taeyong looked so drained when he goes home. I didn’t know how he was hurting and how he felt self-depreciation. If I knew it back then, I could have done something, at least assured him.” Yuta answered and they shared fond gazes, as if they had never separated.

 

 

“Why did it took this long?” I asked them, a question that was bugging me since Taeyong returned to Korea some seventeen years ago.

 

I watched the two look at each other with confused eyes, and even without words, it seemed that they were communicating, the connection they were exuding was beyond words. “I was scared to face him and get rejected.” Taeyong confessed and I can tell how much fear my friend had, to lose the love of his life in a snap.

 

 

“But I won’t, I waited for you Taeyong.” Yuta said and I could see how sincere he was, if the hand that held his husband tightened was any indication.

 

 

“I guess I still beat myself up for leaving you.” Taeyong said and Yuta sighed and pulled his husband closer to himself.

 

It made me realize how strong their love truly was, or is rather. But they were afraid of righting their mistakes, anyone would.

 

 

Busan was Yuta’s home for the past years after retirement, and he had taken a job as a soccer coach, and when we arrived, Yuta gladly welcomed us to his home. It was early morning and we piled inside the apartment, with the kids trudging themselves inside Xiaojun’s room, probably to catch some sleep but I saw the older of the twins pulled his brother into a corner and apparently, he wanted to show his photo albums. Usually people would cringe at their baby pictures but for twins being separated this long, they were excited to get to know more of each other. I looked at them for a few more minutes and I can’t help but smile, because the twins resembled too much of their parents, aside from looking like carbon copies of Yuta and Taeyong, both brothers got a mix of their fathers’ personalities.

 

 

Taeyong insisted on cooking breakfast and it was not a surprise; the real surprise is the array of perfectly executed Japanese cuisine served in front of us like it was prepared in a high-class restaurant. Taeyong explained each dish with accuracy that Yuta was beaming proudly at his husband. Taeyong thanked Yuta and placed the best bowl of rice to his son, and the younger looked as his father with teary eyes.

 

 

“Tell me honestly how it taste okay?” Taeyong had asked his son so lovingly that I was holding back my tears, the two have been separated for seventeen years so it is quite a feat for them to reconnect.

 

 

The food were delicious as expected from Master Chef Taeyong, but hearing it from his son, Taeyong beamed with pride.

 

 

“Are you planning on moving?” I inquired and they both nodded.

 

 

“I want to be there for Jaemin.” Yuta answered and Jaemin smiled at his father, prompting the older to smile back. Watching the two smile made me feel like I am watching two suns lit up the world, they were bright and warm. “It will be a big adjustment for Xiaojun but I think we can handle it.” Yuta turned to his other son who smiled shyly and nodded.

 

 

“I wonder, did you ever think that your sons would meet again?” I asked them and They shook their heads at the same time.

 

 

“I was hoping but not really expecting.” Yuta answered first.  

 

“How do you feel about it?” I asked them and Both smiled wide.

 

 

“I wanted to thank them for this opportunity. Our sons did what we both couldn’t.” Taeyong answered and patted each son’s shoulder. “I would never be able to gather enough courage to face Yuta.” Taeyong confessed.

 

 

“What made you though?” Yuta asked and I watched Taeyong flush.

 

 

“I saw Xiaojun and felt the pain in my heart, and I saw hope in your eyes as if you’re waiting for me.” Taeyong answered, rubbing his thumb on Yuta’s cheek.

 

 

“I love you.” Yuta’s reply caught Taeyong off guard but the older of the two smiled and returned it, voice laced with affection.

 

 

If this is another couple, I would have gagged for the incessant flirting, but it’s Taeyong and Yuta who had waited too long for this reconciliation and reunion. I can’t really express to everyone what I was seeing, the pictures provide a glimpse of what they share, but to experience it with your own eyes, it is a marvelous thing and it made me recall my moments with my own husband; you just feel the love they have for each other.

 

The night the viral pictures were posted, a talent show was held and in that show, their twins, Xiaojun and Jaemin had teamed up for the first time and performed a song that was dear to both Taeyong and Yuta.

 

“Were you surprised with what your sons performed?” I asked them and they both nodded.

 

 

“I knew Xiaojun can paly the piano and sing a little, but I never really encouraged him. Music is something dear to me but it also reminded me of our fall out.” Yuta answered and he held his son and kissed his temple. “I was surprised that he knew the song. Who helped you?” Yuta turned to his son and Xiaojun looked at his twin for help, making Yuta chuckle.

 

“Jaemin is a really good dancer.” Taeyong praised his son and the smile on Jaemin was wide that it rivaled the sun. “The way he executed the dance perfectly, in his own interpretation.” Taeyong answered and I nodded in agreement. “What surprised me though was how he had learned it.” Taeyong finished and his son grinned sheepishly.

 

 

“The song was something dear to you if I remember correctly?” I asked them and they nodded.

 

 

“It’s our song. Always had been special to us for a lot of reasons.” Taeyong said. “And the choreography Jaemin performed is the last variation, it’s the one I danced before we separated.” Taeyong said and I could see tears pool on his eyes.

 

 

“You never really went public with the separation.” I pointed this out and both of them sighed.

 

 

“We cut ties but we never signed any papers, for all the times that we separated, we were still legally married.” Yuta answered and I noticed how he played with his ring. “I used Nakamoto as my name not to hide my marriage, but to protect Taeyong. I knew people would ask questions and I don’t want them digging into my past and disturb Taeyong. For all I know he could be married and had a family. Yuta explained further.

 

 

“I am married and had a family.” Taeyong smugly said and Yuta scoffed.

 

 

“Yeah, to me.” Yuta replied and they ended up laughing.

 

 

“You seem to really want to protect each other.” I commented and they both laughed louder.

 

 

“We do.” They said in unison.

 

 

“You know what, I wanted to show my sons how the original choreography went.” Taeyong suddenly stood and Yuta followed after his husband, digging into some drawers and pulling out a familiar CD case. “You still have it?” Taeyong asked with wide eyes and Yuta nodded with a smile.

 

 

Yuta played the song and the familiar song echoed inside the house. Yuta’s voice filtered in and the two danced fluidly to the music. My jaws dropped, because despite the time and distance, they still had the moves memorized by heart. I had seen this performance once before back in college and they are as good as I remember. I glanced at Xiaojun and Jaemin and I smiled as I watched the two get absorbed and mesmerized with how well their parents fit and dance together, they maybe called puzzle pieces.

 

 

Each step that Yuta and Taeyong took radiated emotions; of love and adoration. I watched as their bodies swayed gracefully to each note the melody enveloped them like they are in their own world. I recalled the ending of their performance back then, it was one of the most memorable performance they made. And I grinned because just like how it ended 2 decades ago, Taeyong ended this performance on bended knee, pulling out a ring, this time an expensive one encrusted in diamonds and one that he could not afford back then, and proposed to Yuta again.

 

 

“Please marry me again Yuta.” Taeyong looked hopeful and I could see Yuta tearing up as he nodded and handed his left hand. Taeyong slid it on his husband’s ring finger and smiled as he kissed him deeply.

 

 

“I’ll give you a wedding you deserve.” Taeyong mused and Yuta could only burst into tears.

 

 

Through this interview, I understood two yearning hearts who hid their relationship not because they were ashamed of it, but because they wanted to protect their other half. It made me wonder how they  could stand that long of a separation yet at the first sight of reconciliation, they had no qualms and just forgave each other then it’s as if time and distance did not exist. It made me believe in what power love holds, and how our hearts are resilient. Seventeen years is such a strong number, yet Taeyong and Yuta were stronger, and with an impending wedding, I guess it will just remain a number, because love will still be stronger.

 

 

 

Check out exclusive behind cuts on Neo Culture’s official site and a glimpse of Xiaojun and Jaemin’s performance, Yuta and Taeyong’s proposal and a lot more candid shots of the hottest family in Seoul.

 

 

 

-----  

 

a/n: I was really planning on Taeyong proposing again even before Idol Radio but lo and behold, Taeyong spoiled my story when he took Yuta’s missing ring, knelt and handed it back. Did you know how triggered I was because of that?

 

Also, I would like to thank my sisters in Yutae Rin, Minnie and Gelu for pushing me to write updates ^^

 

I at writing articles and I don’t read much magazines so if Doyoung’s narrative , please forgive me.

 

Finally, yes there will be a wedding.