If All It is, is Eight Letters

You Look Like My Dad

a/n: guess who was feeding us shippers? Yeppp that’s Yutae because for the past few days, they are not being any subtle ^^

 

 

-----

 

 

Johnny was stunned, he did not really expect something this scale to happen. He knew from his husbands that the kids were planning to play the song Yuta and Taeyong worked on back in the days, but for Xiaojun to sing the song while Jaemin dance to it? He was taken aback, and waves of emotion wash over him. Both and Ten and Kun held his hands and he could feel wetness on his shoulders, then he too let his tears fall.

 

Doyoung wasn’t any better, because this he knew was something too personal for Taeyong and Yuta. It’s something they all knew in their friend circle as a dear song for the two, but to actually watch it being performed by their sons who were separated and see it unfold like they were watching Yuta and Taeyong did it way back? It was too much for Doyoung. He felt his husband’s arm around him and he sobbed harder, these friends were dear to him, and if only they could have stopped the fall out, or at least intervene a little earlier, this could have been happier.

 

Sicheng was holding back his tears but he knew he wouldn’t be able to stop himself from crying, because in front of him was his godson, his precious Xiaojun whom he loved dearly. Taeil pulled him close and held his hand, assuring him that he was there for him and Sicheng let it out, tears that were meant to be shed a long time ago.

 

 

There were applauses and Yuta knew something akin to a closing remarks, yet all he could hear was his own heart heavily pounding on his chest and his deep breathing while all he could see is the man across him, a few short meters away from him who had eyes as expressive as the bright lights and face perfect as the photograph he kept dearly.

 

In front of him was Taeyong, and he couldn’t help but be hopeful.

 

Taeyong looked at him, all his attention was on him. He was beautiful, still as beautiful as the first da he laid eyes on him. He wanted to run to him and hold him, go down on his knees and ask for forgiveness, yet his limbs felt weak and his throat was dry. He felt helpless all of the sudden, and all the more panicked as he saw Yuta stood and turned his back on him, walking along an old friend he recognized as Hansol. Were they together? Taeyong bit his lip as he felt his heart break, but a tug on his arm made him look at Johnny who had red rimmed eyes and a sad smile.

 

 

“Jaemin is waiting for you.” Johnny informed him and Taeyong nodded, joining his friend as they walked back towards the cabins, were the kids would be waiting for their parents

 

 

He was thinking while walking, deep thoughts about Yuta, of how to approach him, how to ask for forgiveness and beg for him to come back, but it was difficult and he felt frustrated. They stopped abruptly and Taeyong was forced to look straight ahead and this time, he felt like his world just shattered, Yuta was holding his son, their son.

 

 

Yuta wasn’t sure how he would talk to Jaemin, but as soon as Xiaojun spotted him, the kid walked up to him with sad eyes. “I’m sorry.” Xiaojun said and Yuta was confused, why was Xiaojun apologizing?

 

 

“Why?” Yuta asked, sniffing a little.

 

 

“I know you don’t want me to play the piano and sing.” Xiaojun replied and it pulled on Yuta’s heartstrings. He knew his son was gifted musically, his parents were both musically inclined themselves but the separation made Yuta force something his son loved to be taboo.

 

 

“There’s nothing to apologize for Xiaojun.” Yuta smiled and pulled his son, kissing his temple like he used to.

 

Xiaojun held his father tightly, not wanting to let go, to assure him that he was there, he will be there for years to come. Yuta closed his eyes and took a deep breath, he had hurt his son deeply with his selfish act, and he was willing to allow his son to spread his wings now and be who he want to be, even if it meant opening wounds. He opened his eyes and he gasped, and Xiaojun turned to see Jaemin standing a few feet away, nervously rubbing his nape as he looked at Xiaojun and Yuta. Yuta looked at his older sn and then back to the familiar face.

 

“Jaemin?” Yuta asked and the teen smiled a little and nodded. “Is that really you Jaemin?” Yuta asked as he approached the teen, and he stopped a good few feet as he asked again, and Jaemin smiled wider.

 

 

“Are you really my father?” Jaemin asked and Yuta’s tears broke as he wrapped the teen in a tight embrace.

 

Jaemin felt his own tears fall as he returned the embrace, tightly holding his father like he could disappear any minute.

 

 

“Is it really you Jaemin? My precious Nana?” Yuta asked, still holding his son tightly.

 

 

“Tou-chan?” Jaemin squeaked and it made Yuta sob even harder.

 

 

He had always dreamt of meeting his younger son, to hold him and talk to him, and this moment, this is a dream come true to him.

 

 

“I miss you so much Nana.” Yuta said, pulling away to cup his son’s cheeks and kiss his forehead. “I miss you so so much.” Yuta emphasized and Jaemin nodded and embraced him again, burryign his face on his father’s neck and sobbing harder.

 

Jaemin felt overwhelmed, its as if his heart had yearned for his birth father, and having him here and holding him like this, he felt complete, secure and sheltered.

 

 

“Tou-chan.” Jaemin sobbed and he felt his father kiss his head as he rubbed circles on his back.

 

 

“I’m hear Nana, I’m here.” Yuta muttered.

 

 

 “Appa?” They heard Xiaojun and when they looked at where he was staring, Yuta gasped and let Jaemin go.

 

Yuta caught Taeyong’s eyes and for a brief moment they shared the same of emotions of longing, of adoration, of love.

 

 

----

 

It wasn’t working out and they were both stressed and frustrated. Yuta got pregnant right before graduation and in a rush, they got married and moved back to Japan to raise their children. But fresh out of college with a family to raise is not ideal for a job hunting Taeyong who dreamt of making it big in the entertainment industry, of being a choreographer in the future. He was stressed beyond words but every time he came home with Yuta smiing at him and offering him something at least edible, his motivation was renewed. He would hold his husband close and kiss him tenderly, telling him how his day went. Yuta would always place both hands on his husband’s neck and kiss him three times before smiling wide and assuring him that things would get better.

 

 

But things didn’t.

 

As the twins were born, Taeyong was juggling being a father of two, a husband and three jobs, two are part time. He still wanted to dance but being a dancer doesn’t pay much and it left him hopeless and worthless.

 

 

“Maybe I should take a job as well, I was looking into tutoring.” Yuta offered as they sat on their dinner table, cradling each a year old Jaemin and Xiaojun who were slowly drifting off to sleep.

 

 

“I can handle it okay, you don’t need to worry about it.” Taeyong assured him but Yuta was concerned, his husband didn’t get to rest as much as he could.

 

 

‘But Tae..” Yuta tried to argue again but Taeyong just glared at him and brought Jaemin to his crib. Yuta sighed as he followed Taeyong to the room to set their twins to their cribs and allowed them to sleep.

 

 

They slept with their backs on each other that night, and it wasn’t the last time.

 

 

Taeyong was furious when he saw Yuta inside a convenience store working, when he should be watching over their kids. They had a huge fight that night and things went downhill, Taeyong’s pride and ego was bruised while Yuta’s trust got tarnished.

 

 

“I will work to provide for this family Yuta.” Taeyong had screamed.

 

“It’s clearly not working Taeyong!” Yuta screamed back. ‘Im trying to help you but you won’t let me! I wanted to share the burden of this family, but you won’t allow me!” Yuta argued.

 

 

“Why can’t you see that I don’t need your help?” Taeyong had barked and Yuta blinked at Taeyong and held his tears back.

 


“You don’t?” Yuta asked and Taeyong blinked as he looked at his husband’s hurt face.

 

 

“It’s not what I wanted to say.” Taeyong averted his gaze and rubbed his neck, a habit he does when he was nervous or flustered.

 

 

“Then what do you want to say?” Yuta asked back. “That you don’t need me?” Yuta asked with teary eyes, red and swollen. Taeyong went silent and Yuta closed his eyes and turned his back, opting to go to bed than confront the man he loves.

 

 

“Yuta.” Taeyong called out but Yuta had locked their bedroom and Taeyong was left to sleep in the living room, heart heavy and head aching.

 

 

It didn’t get any better, maybe their love was still there, but their respect and trust for each other diminished through time, and to a breaking point, they were done. Taeyong entered their apartment and sighed as he heard a familiar song being played on the piano, something they had bought when they moved in, in hopes of their children acquiring their inclination to music.

 

 

Yuta started singing and it broke Taeyong’s heart as he watched his husband play their song in such melancholy, will they be able to fix themselves and their family.

 

 

“Are you tired of me?” Taeyong looked at Yuta who he realized had stopped playing and was looking at him.

 

 

“No, are you?” Taeyong asked back and Yuta sighed.

 

 

“no, but are we getting any better?” Yuta asked and again and Taeyong shook his head. “Remember this song, it was ours right?” Yuta asked and Taeyong nodded, remembering how they wrote it together, it was the same song they choreographed together and eventually performed together, with Taeyong proposing to Yuta at the end of the performance, and a passing grade for their Performing arts subject.

 

 

“It is still ours.” Taeyong answered.

 

 

“Do you still believe that?” Yuta asked back and this has been a thing for them, asking questions that they knew they failed to answer adequately.

 

 

Taeyong took a deep breath and stood next to the piano. “Play it.” Taeyong ordered and Yuta sighed, pressing the keys heavily, his heart translating the pain into the song.

 

Taeyong took heavy steps, and turned sharply, his body tensed and matched the music, a little to stiff and restraint but still beautiful and captivating. They both felt tears fall as each key emitted a heavy sound, and step echoed pain and torture. They both understood what it meant, what their minds were telling them to do, but their hearts were still fighting for it. The song felt different, and the choreography looked different, and they both knew that when the last note was played, it was over.

 

They were over.

 

“I will miss you Taeyong.” Yuta muttered as they fell into a temporary bliss of bodies and heated kisses.

 

“I will miss you Yuta.” Taeyong cried out, lips on skin and hands holding his lover close to his body.

 

 

They both fell asleep in the arms of their loved one but one of them woke up with an empty bed, half the closet swept clean and a child missing. Yuta wiped the tears that fell and took a robe before fetching his crying son. Xiaojun must have felt the separation of his twin and he felt pity, his son did not deserve this, their sons did not deserve a broken family.

 

 

----

 

Yuta was hopeful as he looked at Taeyong, but as another minute passed and Taeyong wasn’t going to take a step forward, Yuta sighed and turned to his younger.

 

 

“I love you Jaemin-ah. Remember that even if we don’t see each other, I love you so much.” Yuta said and kissed his son’s forehead before pulling him into a tight embrace. “I love you.” Yuta muttered before letting him go and grabbing Xiaojun by his arm to leave.

 

 

Xiaojun bit his lip and looked at his other father one last time, and he felt tears fall from his eyes. Was he not glad to meet his other son? Did he hate him that much to leave him then and ignore him now? He was hurt but he smiled one last time to Jaemin and bowed to Taeyong before being dragged away by Yuta.

 

 

Taeyong’s eyes went wide as he saw his son’s face, how hurt his older son was, how disappointed he was. He wanted to run and grab Yuta, and to stop him from leaving but he couldn’t move. Jaemin looked at him and his heart break as his younger son felt like he was betrayed by his own father.

 

 

“Are you going to let Tou-chan go just like that?” Jaemin asked before breaking into a crying fit and Taeyong knew he had to do something, anything.

 

 

Taeyong looked at the two figures, slowly walking out of his life, and finally his body had come into an agreement, he wanted them back, he wanted them to stay. “Yuta!” Taeyong screamed out but the man did not stop nor looked back. “Yuta!” Taeyong started screaming and then broke into a run. He kept calling his husband’s name as he ran to catch up, he won’t let this opportunity slip from him. “Yuta!” Taeyong screamed and finally, he was able to pull Yuta away from Xiaojun and pull him close to his body, trapping the man in his tight embrace. “Yuta.” Taeyong muttered and he cried, never wanting to let this man go again. “Yuta.” He repeated and he felt his heart stop as familiar arms wrap around him.

 

 

“Taeyong.” Yuta’s voice was still as sweet as honey and Taeyong closed his eyes and held him tightly. “Taeyong.” Yuta repeated as their hold on each other tightened.

 

 

“Please don’t go.” Taeyong blurted out, pushing the younger off of him to cup his cheeks. He looked at his eyes and lingered on them. “Please stay.” He said, fresh tears falling from his tired eyes.

 

 

“I..” Yuta was lost for words.

 

 

“I love you.” Taeyong blurted out.  “I love you Yuta and I am sorry for being stupid.” Taeyong continued. “I let you go, I left you and Xiaojun and I am so stupid for doing it.” Taeyong then held both of Yuta’s hands, fingers playing with the cheap ring on his husband’s finger, something they could afford back then but they both treasured nonetheless. Taeyong then knelt down and it made Yuta gasp. “Please forgive me Yuta.” Taeyong professed. “I love you so much. I love you then, I love you now and I will still love you till forever.” Taeyong said and kissed both knuckles.

 

 

“You’re so stupid.” Yuta mutted but knelt down to meet his husband and then pulled him into a kiss, passionate and longing. “I waited for you.” He said as they broke apart and he rested his forehead onto Taeyong’s as they gaze into each other’s eyes. “I love you so much it hurts. I love you Taeyong.” Yuta was crying but the smile on his face told Taeyong something else, so he wrapped his arm around his husbands waist and kissed him, just as Yuta wrapped his own arms around his neck and caressed his nape like he used to.

 

 

“I love you too!” They heard Jaemin and before they knew it, They were knocked into the ground by Jaemin who dragged Xiaojun with him.

 

Yuta laughed as he held Jaemin close to him and Taeyong smiled as he pulled Xiaojun into an embrace and kissed his temple. “I miss you Xiao.” He muttered and the kid burst into tears and embraced his father tightly. Taeyong smiled wider and held him close, arms secured around his first born and never letting go.

 

 

“I miss you too appa.” Xiaojun cried out, because he does. He wanted to meet him too, and to be acknowledged.

 

 

“Please say that we’re going to be complete, that we are going to be a family again.” Jaemin asked and both Yuta and Taeyong looked at each other. “Please tell me you’re going to stay Tou-chan.” Jaemin held his father’s hand and then Xiaojun’s, like he’s afraid to let them go.

 

 

“If your father wants us to stay.” Yuta answered and Jaemin looked at his father with hopeful eyes.

 

 

“Of course.” Taeyong answered and the smile that simultaneously bloomed on Yuta’s and Jaemin’s faces made delighted Taeyong.

 

Jaemin launched himself onto his father who was still holding Xiaojun and they all lied on the ground, with Taeyong laughing whole-heartedly, finally able to hold his twins again. Yuta looked on to his husband and kids and settled himself next to Taeyong, brushing the hair off of his children and kissing each of their foreheads lovingly.

 

“I love you.” Yuta said while he looked deep into his husband’s eyes.

 

 

“I love you.” Taeyong replied with a wide smile.

 

 

Their moment was broken when they heard a loud booming sound and lights filled the sky. Xiaojun and Jaemin let their father go and sat on Yuta’s either side, while Taeyong positioned his head on his husband’s lap and grabbed his hand to kiss.

 

 

“We were not informed about the fireworks.” Xiaojun mused, wiping his tears with his hands.

 

 

“There shouldn’t be one.” Jaemin informed them but when they say Renjun, Jeno and Hendery waving at them, they both understood. “Who did it?” Jaemin mouthed to Renjun and he pointed to their fathers, and to Johnny, Ten, Kun and Doyoung taking their pictures. “Thank you!” Jaemin blew a kiss to which Renjun gladly took and blew one his way.

 

 

Jaemin then wrapped his arm around his father and rested his head on his shoulder as they watched the fireworks pain the sky in colors.

 

 

 

 

 

----

 

a/n: One major pet peeve of mine is being unable to provide a solid back story for Yutae. I want to justify their separation, I don’t want to spill it to you in passing. I hoped that I had given enough explanation on how they got to where they were.

 

And if you read the first a/n it said, Yutae getting back together, so yes, they are back together.