Chapter 2

Goodbye Summer

[Please play this song while listening - NCT127 - Paradise]

It was winter, that same year, when we started hanging out more often.

“Wait for me!” Jaehyun yelled as we walk the snowy streets of Seoul.

“Make it fast!” I shouted back laughing at the slowpoke Jaehyun while he was making his way towards me.

He suddenly put two heat packs on both sides of my face making me stop because of the gesture.

“I don’t know if it’s the weather or you are blushing because of me,” He teased while still holding my face.

I slapped his hands jokingly so he handed the heat packs to me. He invited me over for lunch, although it was his mom’s request, because his mom visited and he told me that he wanted us to meet each other.

“Mom! We’re home!” Jaehyun shouted as we entered his apartment. It’s my first time visiting here, let along visiting a guy friend’s home, so I did know exactly what to do.

“Hello son! Hi dear!” His mom greeted looking at me warmly.

“She’s the girl space friend I was talking about mom,” Jaehyun said as he walked to towards the dining area, I think.

“I’ve heard a lot about you!” His mom hugged me and when Jaehyun was out of sight, she whispered, “Are you dating him?”

I blued at the question but immediately denied it. I honestly don’t know if Jaehyun and I are dating but we frequently go out with our friends and sometimes, just the two of us. Beside, we haven’t really confessed to each other about what we truly feel.

“I like you for him,” His mom mentioned making my face go red as a tomato. “I know he is happy with you so I hope you give him a chance.”

His mom winked making me chuckle.

“We will get there when the right time comes,” I said respectfully.

“What are you two talking about?” Jaehyun appeared with a piece of samgyupsal on his palms. He eyed us suspiciously and said, “I hope it’s not about me.”

“Nothing!” His mom denied thought I am not sure if Jaehyun bought the lie.

His mom prepared a lot and when I say a lot, I mean samgyupsal, bolgogi, seafood stew, bibimbap, kimchi fried rice, and japchae.

After the sumptuous lunch and while Jaehyun was washing the dishes, his mom called me in the living room. She showed me Jaehyun’s childhood photos and told me stories about him. I realized how much she cares for her son.

“I know that this is too demanding for me to ask but please look after Jaehyun once I go back to the States.” His mom looked at me sincerely. I assured her that I will take care of Jaehyun no matter what happens.

That winter made Jaehyun and me closer. We went to random coffee “dates”, built snowmen and had snowfights, and strolled the snowy streets of Seouls.

“I hope this does not end,” Jaehyun said softly as he lie down the snow angel we made one afternoon.

“What ‘this’?” I asked emphasizing the this with my two hands making a quotation sign.

“Us,” He answered earning a confused face from me.

“Nothing,” he chuckled and told random stories about school and family.