Jung Byunghee-G.O

Beneath The Mask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ezPvdK2t0&feature=related 

Byunghee carried his small, nearly empty backpack in his arms as he ran alongside his mother. They sprinted through alley as fast as possible, hearing pounding footsteps right behind them.

Since Byunghee was only a tiny nine year old boy, he could barely keep up with his mother. She heard the foosteps getting louder and she knew they would be caught soon, so she picked up her son and ran with him in her arms.

The loan sharks were right on their tail. Byunghee's mother was starting to get tired, her muscles were aching from the physical exertion. She knew that she couldn't keep going any longer. But, she also was determined not to get caught.

And like a gift sent from heaven above, an angel saved her and her son. She was running down the alley when someone grabbed her and pulled her inside a building.

Before she could scream, the person clamped their hand over her mouth. Byunghee's eyes widened but he kept his mouth shut and buried his face in his mother's shoulder.

The three of them stayed completely still, waiting patiently for the sound of the loan sharks' footsteps to disappear. Byunghee's mother was breathing heavily, her chest heaving up and down.

"Where'd they go? Damn it!" One of the loan sharks shouted. They took off down the alley and were gone.

The man let go and Byunghee's mother let out a breath of relief. She looked up at the man and smiled gratefully at him. "Thank you so much for helping my son and I. How can I ever repay you?" She asked.

"No need to repay me. Stay safe though." The man said, giving her a warm smile back. He started to leave the building but Mrs. Jung stopped him first.

"Wait, I really feel like I should give you something in return." She said. The man turned around and stared at her for a moment.

"Then, do you mind keeping me company for the rest of the day?" He asked, a sincere look in his eyes. "Are you sure your wife would be okay with that?" Mrs. Jung asked.

"Are you sure your husband would be okay? Besides, I'm single anyways." The man smiled back. Mrs. Jung's eyes widened for a moment.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just assumed you were married. I'm...single too." She said, her eyes dull.

Byunghee felt tears welling up in his eyes as he thought of his father. He had no clue where he went or whether he was even alive or not. The family had been in debt before because of him and his parents had argued about it. But, they always forgave each other in the end.

One day, his father had not come home after job searching. Instead, a group of loan sharks knocked on the door to their small apartment and demanded payment. Of course, Byunghee's mother didn't have the money, so the loan sharks attempted to take Byunghee away as collateral.

Mrs. Jung gave up her precious family heirloom to make them leave. Byunghee and his mother waited the next day for Mr. Jung to return, but he neved did. Mrs. Jung assumed he was dead since the loan sharks came back and didn't bother to ask where her husband was. Now, Byunghee and his mother had ended up on the run from the loan sharks.

"I'm Kang Jaehwa." The man introduced himself, holding out his hand. Mrs. Jung shook it back and gave him her name.

"Is that your son?" Jaehwa asked, looking curiously at Byunghee. Byunghee's eyes grew wide and he hid behind his mother, clinging tightly to her.

"Yes, this is my son, Jung Byunghee. I'm sorry, he's a little shy." Mrs. Jung replied. Jaehwa smiled. "It's fine. I know a nice little restaurant around here, would you like to have dinner with me? I'll pay."

"Oh, I-I don't know. I wouldn't want to owe you even more." Mrs. Jung said. Jaehwa shook his head and said, "Nonsense, I want to help you and you don't owe me a thing."

"I guess it's alright then." Mrs. Jung replied.

From there, the two adults became closer and got to know one another more. They eventually fell in love and got married. Byunghee didn't know what to think of his new father. He was nice, but he could never replace Byunghee's real father.

*Dad will come back one day. How come Mom can just forget about him like this?*

Of course, Byunghee's mother had never told Byunghee that his father was dead. He always looked so hopeful when he asked his mother if his dad was coming back. She didn't have the heart to tell him that he wasn't ever coming back.

Byunghee and his new father had an awkward relationship. While his father attempted to get closer to him, Byunghee would not respond. He would answer politely to him and keep up a wall between them. Byunghee never called Jaehwa, 'Dad' or even 'Father'. He just called him Mr. Kang.

Byunghee's mother tried to get Byunghee to open up to Jaehwa, but he didn't listen to her. He didn't want someone to replace his father.

Because of his timid personality and his stuborness, Byunghee also ended up isolated at school. On his first day of school, the kids already thought of him as a freak because he told them he had two fathers.

"Two dads? You can only have one dad! Why would you have two." One boy said.

"Well, Mr. Kang isn't really my dad. My real dad is getting a lot of money so he can come back and save me and my mom." Byunghee replied.

"Mr. Kang? You call your dad 'Mr. Kang'? That's so weird." Another boy said. "Yeah, you're a weirdo." The 'leader' of the kids said.

"Freak. You can't have two dads."

"S-so? I-I only h-have one real d-dad." Byunghee whimpered. The group of boys advanced on him, closing in on him in a circle.

"Freak! Alien!" They began to shout out random insults at him. Since they were outside for recess, none of the teachers were near enough to hear them. "Weirdo!"

Byunghee's eyes welled up with tears and he began to cry. The boys snickered and walked away, leaving him there. He crouched into a ball and sobbed quietly.

*I'm not a freak. I'm not an alien. I only have one dad. I shouldn't have told them I had two dads.*

From then on, Byunghee grew up as the outcast. He became the freak, the odd one. None of the kids wanted to be partenered with him or play with him. So, he kept to himself. He was never much of a talker anyways. Before, he only had one close friend at his old school.

Byunghee sat on his bed and stared out the window. He saw the stars shimmering brightly in the sky. He smiled as he remembered how his dad had always pointed out the different constellations to him.

A single tear slipped down his cheek as he recalled something his father always said to him.

"Remember, Byunghee-ah. Technology can break, but the stars are always there for you when you get lost."

*Dad, will one of these stars guide me to you? I'll follow them forever if they would lead me to you.*