Father and Son

Beneath The Mask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Up0cjJoiI 

It was a bright and sunny Saturday morning. Mir was sleeping peacefully on the couch when thundering footsteps approached his resting figure.

The person stood before Mir, their looming figure casting a shadow over him. Mir's chest rose and fell in a steady rhythm and he was snoring softly.

Taking a deep breath, the person prepared themselves and shouted loudly. "MIR!!!!! Get your off my couch!!"

Mir jumped up in fright, his body spazzing as he rolled off the couch and onto the floor. "W-what?!" He yelled, half-asleep still.

Zelo glared down at him, his arms crossed over his chest. "I thought you were going to make up with your dad today?" He said, raising an eyebrow.

"Geez, I was going to do it later." Mir mumbled groggily. "Do it now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to make up with him." Zelo said.

"Since when did you get so responsible?" Mir retorted. Zelo chuckled and kicked him lightly. "Yah, I'm just worried about you." He replied.

Mir smacked Zelo's leg and slowly got up off the floor. "Alright, mother. I'm leaving now." He said, smirking. Zelo wrinkled his nose and pushed him towards the door.

"Go. If you need me, just call me. Okay?" He said. Mir nodded. "Goodbye Mommy!" He called back as he raced out the door, slamming it behind him. He laughed when he heard Zelo's angry voice on the other side.

But, when he stepped into the elevator, his shoulders slumped. He felt a heavy weight in his heart. *Okay Mir. You can do it. Don't get angry at him, no matter what he says to you. Be the mature one.*

Glancing at his reflection in the door, he fixed his tousled hair. His hands slowly dropped to his sides as an image of his father ruffling his hair when he was a child flashed through his mind.

*He was a better father to me than my real father was. But now, he's starting to become like my real father had been.*

The elevator came to a stop and Mir trudged out. Making his way out of the apartment building, he headed down the street towards his house.

His hands were in his pockets now, because he would have chewed his fingernails down to the nub if he kept them out. Mir didn't understand why he was so nervous, he just was.

*Maybe it's because I don't want it to turn out the way things were with my real father.*

Sighing, Mir looked up and realized he was already standing in front of the door to his house. He lightly knocked on the door and waited for someone to answer.

There was some shuffling behind the door and the sound of a person fumbling with the lock on the door knob. Mir almost laughed out loud right there. The lock had been broken for nearly a year, making it nearly impossible to lock and unlock. His father was supposed to fix it, but he never seemed to get around to doing it.

*That's when he started to change. He began to 'forget' to do things, he put things off till the last minute, and now he's stopped caring.*

Finally, after what had felt like a half hour, the door opened with a soft click. Mir had hoped it was his mother who would open the door so that he wouldn't have to face his father right away. Unfortunately, it was his father who peered at him through the crack.

Mir could sense his father's mood darken almost immediately. His eyes narrowed into slits as he glared at Mir. And then, his father's hand shot out from behind the door and grabbed Mir by the collar.

Gasping in surprise, Mir was dragged into the house and the front door was slammed shut behind him. With no time to react, Mir was then shoved back against the wall and his father punched him in the jaw.

Mir had bit his cheek because of the blow and he could taste the metallic taste of blood in his mouth. His gaze turned fierce and fiery as he looked at his father in disbelief.

"What the he-" Mir began to shout but was cut off by his father's cold voice. "Where have you been?" He asked, his tone flat and emotionless.

"With a friend," Mir replied. "And why didn't you tell me?" His father responded. Mir laughed sarcastically which puzzled his father and angered him more.

"Why should I tell you where I am? I'm nineteen years old. I'm an adult. I don't need to report to my 'daddy'," Mir spat contemptuously.

*Great, this is not what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I'm supposed to be making up with him but he's just frustrating me so much right now.*

"You're still my son," his father retorted. Then, his father spoke in a softer voice. "I care about you. Your mother worries for you. We love you, so don't do something like this again."

"You don't get it, do you? It's not about me doubting whether you guys love me or not. It's about you and your stupid, careless actions. You're becoming the same person my real father was," Mir said. "You're becoming a drunk just because you were fired from one job. I'm asking you, not for myself but for Mom, to get off your lazy and find a new job."

Mir had hoped that his words would slap some sense into his father, but they only seemed to make him more furious. His eyes blazed angrily.

"I don't need you to tell me what to do. You've never had a job before. Why don't you get a job instead of critisizing me?" His father replied. "You're a disgrace."

Mir's fist clenched into a ball and it ached to come in contact with his father's jaw. But Mir held back. Without saying anything else, he grabbed the keys to his father's motorcycle off the hook and walked out the door.

"Hey, where the hell do you think you're going with my motorcycle?!" His father shouted after him. Mir sprinted into the garage and got on the motorcycle. Sticking the helmet on his head, he the engine and sped off just as his father ran out of the house after him. Mir glanced back to see his father shouting spitefully at him.

A heavy weight dropped in Mir's heart but he didn't stop the motorcycle. He had just ruined his relationship with his father when he had only been trying to fix it.

*A disgrace? How am I a disgrace?*

Mir rode around town for a while, wrapped up in his thoughts. He eventually stopped at a park and walked over to a bench. Sitting down, he sighed and rested his head in his hands.

*How am I supposed to make you proud when I don't know what you want from me? A job? I got a job before and he got angry because of it. All I want to do is make him happy but no matter what I do, I can't satisfy him.*

Glancing at his watch, Mir saw that it was only one o'clock in the afternoon. He grunted in frustration and ran his fingers through his hair. He didn't want to go back to Zelo's because he felt bad for staying there for a week already. And yet, he couldn't go back home because that would only spell disaster.

Mir decided that he had no other choice but to find something to get his mind off of the issue with his father. Racking his brain for any possiblities, Mir headed over to the motorcycle.

*What could I do to distract me from all the that's happening?*

Getting on the motorcycle, he started going around town again, bored out of his mind. He had no clue where he was going but he just rode around.

It had been almost an hour and Mir was about to give up on finding something to do until he saw a familiar figure walking down the street carrying a couple bags of groceries.

His eyes lit up and he quietly rode after the person, following them all the way to an apartment building. Parking the motorocyle outside, Mir silently trudged along behind the person as they got in the elevator.

He hid before they could see him and he watched which floor they were going to. It stopped at the fifth. Smirking, Mir got into another elevator and went up to the fifth floor.

He came out of the elevator just in time to see the person entering their apartment. Walking over to the door, he stood in front of it and waited for a moment before knocking on it.

--------------

Hello~

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! :)

Thanks for reading and please leave a comment! ^_^