Part 2: The Getaway

Insanely Rich and a Little Crazy
Please log in to read the full chapter

Despite being classmates for a while now, young Jisoo had only become friends with young Jennie at a garden party. It was her 9th birthday and her mother made sure to invite all the kids in her class. Jennie was quiet, a bit shy, and she avoided the company of loud, outgoing, and popular girls. Jisoo barely knew her.

 

But as her classmates were singing her a happy birthday and handing her gifts, Jennie stood out. In a mess of dolls, trendy dresses and similar gift wrapper, there’s a small hand-wrapped box containing a huge bow clip, an accessory Jisoo never left the house without. The ribbon was a deep shade of blue, with gold stars adorning it and a silver fairy sitting on the moon right in the middle. A smile naturally grew on her lips… for someone noticed her fascination of fairies by mere observation – borrowing books in the library, playing with flowers in the garden, doodling on her notebooks. In its little box was a tiny card that read:

 

            Happy birthday Jisoo!

            I hope we can be friends.

                                    - Jennie

 

 

 

Standing in the middle of a private jet, Jisoo knew something’s off. It’s not really bad per se, just… something unusual. Jisoo feels like she’s living a different life in that moment.

 

It sounds dramatic, considering she’s only escaping for a day. It’s half an hour past midnight, and she’s usually either drunk or asleep by this time. Must be why everything seems confusing now.

 

For one, Jennie’s here with her. She is neither in the middle of an overbearing family nor is she alone. It’s bizarre, really, yet fascinating at the same time.

 

Jisoo chuckles loudly at this realization. This – the randomness of the situation rather than being in a jet – is stuff made of dreams. Jisoo feels like an overaged protagonist running away with her Princess Charming. She’s always made calculated actions and carefully chosen decisions to lead the best possible life. But now she’s snapped from that mess of a reality. Others would drown in alcohol and gambling and other vices; yet here she was with her best idea: borrowing a private jet to paradise miles away with a former friend she hasn’t seen in a long time.

 

Still, it doesn’t sink in when Jisoo wakes up hours later. Checking the time, Jisoo confirms that it hasn’t even been an hour since they took off.

 

Faint lights litter the ground below them and Jisoo normally would have enjoyed the sight. But now, her eyes naturally travel somewhere else. Jennie is an arm’s length away from her, leaning against her seat. Her features are soft, cheeks looking full in her slumber. This sight is what Jisoo is most familiar with, transporting her image to a memory.

 

 

 

At 10, Jisoo and Jennie were the best of friends. They were inseparable in school and occasionally hung out in the weekends, too. Usually, they’d spend the day out in the garden, pulling a wagon with a mat, toys, and books for their entertainment. But one particular day was rainy all of a sudden and the two had to forgo their plans of playing outdoors.

 

On that day, they stumbled upon something in the spare room. Little Yeri had begged them to play hide-and-seek and Jisoo knew her sister was afraid of that one room at the end of the hall, especially with the sound of rain and thunder. Jisoo quietly grabbed Jennie who was hiding from behind the bulky couch, and led her upstairs.

 

They did find a lot of lovely things, mostly her grandmother’s jewelry. Jennie marveled at the vintage little dresser Jisoo used to have in her room. They discovered a sliding door on the right side Jisoo swore wasn’t there before. Peeking inside, they were surprised to find a delicate little box.

 

At first, the two girls didn't expect anything but another set of jewelry but the box was too light for that. Instead, what they saw was a pile of handwritten letters and diaries. Against better judgment, they dive with curiosity. Fascinated with the neat handwriting on expensive stationery, the girls imagined a beautiful and elegant young woman writing behind them. One letter turned into two. And soon, a diary was opened too. As the rain continued, so did the two girls’ adventure in that room. Jisoo yearned to know more and Jennie stayed right by her side, holding her hand in comfort as the story slowly unfolded before them.

 

The next time Jisoo dragged Jennie into that room, things have been rearranged, with the box never to be found again. They rushed down the stairs realizing they’ve been caught. Somehow, they expected a scolding from the other half of the story. But as soon as they got down, Irene didn’t show interest in reprimanding them. She leaned back against the balcony chair with an unreadable expression, hands caressing her huge, round belly.

 

Jisoo knew that was a deciding moment for her mother. But, she never really understood why.

 

 

 

Jennie looks stunning as she steps out of the cottage. She’s wearing a hot pink one piece with a low cut at the back with a white sheer cover over it. A hat and sunglasses top her look.

 

“Are you sure I’m not dreaming?”

 

Jisoo actually laughs aloud at Jennie’s question, finding her incredibly adorable. For someone who’s not ready for a beach trip, she sure is dressed perfectly for the occasion.

 

Pulling down her own sunglasses from the top of her head, Jisoo gently pats the seat beside her for Jennie to take.

 

The warm breeze comforts them as they lounge against the chairs outside. Jisoo’s mid-length hair is blown by the wind and is starting to bother her. But as soon as she runs her hand to fix it, she catches Jennie staring at her.

 

A weird sensation stirs at her stomach. Familiar from long ago, Jisoo coughs to mask her confusion.

 

“Uh, should I take a photo of you?” Jennie bends to reach for her phone before leaning back to get a good angle. “You’re beautiful.”

 

Jisoo looks away and poses instead to avoid the awkwardness. For someone who’s been told that she’s beautiful all her li

Please log in to read the full chapter