Chapter 9

Bring Me To Life

Chanyeol was doing his best to keep the distance between him and the mortal. He may have looked at him and watched him from time to time, but he made sure Baekhyun won’t be able to see him.

 

When Baekhyun fell from the ladder, he panicked. He wanted to run and catch him, but when the tiny male was about to land on his large arms, he just passed through him. He couldn’t grab nor hold Baekhyun at that moment.

 

Chanyeol didn’t know what it meant, but he was certain it was because of death chasing Baekhyun.

 

Fortunately, he found another way to save Baekhyun without touching him. However, what he did for the smaller scared him too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun woke up with a headache. He groaned as he sat up from his comfortable bed while holding the part of his head where it hurt the most. He looked around and figured out that he’s on the school clinic.

 

The petite wasn’t badly injured at all, thanks to the gym mattress lying on the floor under him that was placed by their secretary in case someone happens to fall down from the ladder, which in this case, was Baekhyun.

 

And it was no surprise that Sehun was there beside him when he wakes up.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“I guess I am,” Baekhyun replied as he grimaced in pain coming from his head. “What happened?”

 

“You fell from the ladder,” Sehun answered. “You’re lucky that the stack of gym mattress was there, or else you would’ve had worse injury.”

 

“What time is it?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Five-forty six pm. Why?”

 

Baekhyun quickly sat up, enganging slight panic from his best friend. “Baekhyun, you still need to rest!”

 

“I’m running late for work!” Baekhyun informed.

 

“But you’re not fine!”

 

“I just fell, Sehun. It’s not a big deal.”

 

“Baekhyun this is your second time being brought to a clinic or a hospital this week. Can you at least please listen to me?” Sehun pleaded. “Even for just another hour.”

 

“I can’t miss this, Sehun.” Baekhyun says as he tries to put his shoes on, completely ignoring the pounding in his head. “Besides, I’m totally—ah!”

 

Sehun tsk-ed. “You never listen.”

 

Sehun assisted Baekhyun back on the clinic bed. “The nurse already gave me a heads up about your headache. Don’t worry; she said it won’t last long. But she also told me that you need to rest.” Sehun hands Baekhyun a small tablet and a glass of water he fetched from the water dispenser nearby. “Take this.”

 

Baekhyun quickly accepts the medicine. “Thanks. But Sehun you know I really need to go.”

 

Baekhyun prefers to go out and abuse his body with work instead of not doing anything. Taking rest means ending the distraction he’s trying to use in order to not think about Chanyeol very much. He’s still confused about the ghost’s sudden disappearance, but what more bothering the smaller is why is he taking it too serious.

 

They only spent two days of nothingness but it seemed like Baekhyun already got too attached from the spirit.

 

Baekhyun thinks it’s so unfair. How Chanyeol can easily get lost and forget about him when he was the one who insisted to stay by his side in the first place. He slept peacefully knowing that Chanyeol was there to guard him but he woke up with the spirit trying to delete him in his line of friends already.

 

Sehun sighed. “Alright, but I’m coming with you.”

 

Baekhyun gasped. “What?”

 

“It’s either I’ll come or you’re not going anywhere.”

 

The smaller lad just sighed. Maybe Sehun can help him with distracting too.

 

“Okay.”

 

 

 

 

“Suho, Suho!”  Chanyeol cannot contain his fear. After saving Baekhyun, he quickly went straight to his friend’s place in panic.

 

Shocked by the sudden appearance of the younger spirit in his yard, Suho shows up to him with worry on his face. “What happened?”

 

“Suho, you said it’s impossible for spirits like us to touch things in the mortal world, right?” Chanyeol asked in fear, not breaking his eye contact with the elder.

 

Suho looked back at Chanyeol, confused. “What do you mean?”

 

“I went to see Baekhyun again later. And as what you told me, he almost got into an accident again, if it wasn’t for me.”

 

“You saved him again?”

 

Chanyeol nods. “Suho, he passed by my body when I was about to catch him from falling. I was so afraid.”

 

Suho’s attention were all focused on Chanyeol, bearing the same fear his younger friend brought in his yard. “And? What did you do?”

 

“It’s exactly as the last time. When Baekhyun first got in to an accident. It was like the world stop.” Chanyeol’s jaw clench. “I was so scared because if I can’t catch Baekhyun, he will get hurt big time. So when everything stopped, I tried pushing the gym mattress to catch him.”

 

“What?”

 

“Suho, I was able to hold the gym mattresses with my bare hands!” Chanyeol bit his lower lip, obviously afraid of what’s happening to his body. “I thought it’s impossible for us to touch things from the earth realm!”

 

Suho was dumbfounded. He couldn’t believe the younger’s statement. He wasn’t able to speak. It was his first time encountering this, but this is not new to him at all.

 

“It’s not impossible, Chanyeol.” Suho gulped. “It’s just…rare.

 

 At first he did not believe his father when he told him about the spirits who were able to break the limits given by this realm. Suho finds it ridiculous that something that is not that great was able to go beyond the power of the spirit world. It’s unbelievable.

 

But now it’s here, testifying right before him.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Only rare spirits can do that. The reason why… I don’t actually know.” Suho stops momentarily as he realized something. “But there was one thing father remarked while he was telling me such case.”

 

Chanyeol was waiting for Suho to continue. “What is it?”

 

“The spirit was in love.”