CHAPTER 8

Bring Me To Life

Chanyeol had it hard. Baekhyun was persistent. He wanted to know everything. However, the spirit was convinced that the teenager doesn’t need to know what’s happening. He thinks it’s better that way. At least Baekhyun wouldn’t have to go through a harder time than he’s having now.

 

“Why were you avoiding me then?” The flow of tears running down the younger male’s reddish cheeks was unstoppable. Chanyeol can’t afford to look at another drop of the hot liquid because it breaks his heart seeing Baekhyun like this.

 

“You don’t have to know…” Chanyeol is amazed by himself that he can still respond to the mortal’s question despite of supressing his emotions. The hug just broke his guard down but that won’t change that fact the he still needs to avoid the other male.

 

“I have to!” Baekhyun cries desperately as his breath turn in to a visible smoke caused by the cold breeze the winter night is giving. He is tired of being silent. The younger wanted, just for once, that someone can hear him out. “Chanyeol why are you leaving me like this? You know I have no one…”

 

“Y-you have Sehun.” Chanyeol’s firm voice almost broke. He was hesitating to make a move. He can actually just go and leave the student in the middle of this park where they first met. He could’ve done that, but he can’t. Because he knows that although he doesn’t say it, he feels the longing only the mortal can fulfil. “You don’t need me.”

 

“How can you say so?” the tone of the nineteen years old was calmer, obviously tired from yelling and sobbing. “How do you know that I don’t need you?”

 

“Because you already did for two weeks.”

 

Baekhyun scoffed. He can’t believe what he’s hearing. “You changed.”

 

Chanyeol threw him a frown look. He was obviously hurt with that remark. “I did not, Baekhyun.” He closed his eyes and inhaled deeply as he tried controlling his emotions. He turned his back even before Baekhyun see something in his eyes. “Maybe you just didn’t know me too well.”

 

“And you’re leaving me again?” Baekhyun took a step closer the moment Chanyeol took his first step away from him. “Do you really think you can run away from me when I can obviously summon you like this?”

 

Chanyeol abruptly turned and faced Baekhyun, distance almost running out. That surprised the smaller guy so much. The spirit’s big and round eyes were glaring at him. He clearly didn’t like what Baekhyun said.

 

“Go on and do it,” he challenged. “You’re going to get tired of crying eventually, so don’t waste your tears for me because I’m not worth it.”

 

“This is my tears so I decide who’s worthy of it,” Baekhyun retorted, reciprocating the same energy he get from Chanyeol’s stinging stare. “You’re right. I may not know a lot about you. But you forgot that you have no clue about me too Chanyeol.”

 

Baekhyun’s fists clenched tighter and tighter until his knuckles turned pale.

 

“I won’t stop. I won’t get tired. I will never give up having you back as my friend again Chanyeol.”

 

“You talk too soon, Baekhyun.”

 

“No Chanyeol,” Baekhyun countered. “You talk too soon.”

 

“Can I go now?” Chanyeol diverts the topic. Baekhyun’s heart sinked.

 

“No,” the nineteen year old declares. “You can’t go. Not after hugging me, and making me feel that something is going on.”

 

“If I tell you, are you going to let me go?”

 

Baekhyun was caught off guard. It was the question he didn’t prepare for. It took him time to answer, and the spirit was hoping he answer no.

 

The teenager mustered up all the courage to speak before swallowing the lump on his throat. “Yes.” He inhales deeply. “For now.”

 

Chanyeol’s disappointment didn’t even bother to hide. The pain he felt was visible through his lenses. “For now?”

 

“Yes, for now.” Baekhyun bit his lip. “I will let you go just for now.”

 

Chanyeol had hope. “What differences will that make?”

 

Baekhyun sighed. “It will give me time to think and figure out what’s wrong.”

 

The deeply folded crease on Chanyeol’s forehead showed up. He straightened his body, increasing the distance between the two of them, as the cold winter night blew its wind and dug against the pale skin of the mortal. “What will it benefit me then?”

 

Baekhyun breathed deeply, before avoiding the stare the spirit is giving him. The taller notice how the younger’s face turned red, but thought it was just because of the cold.

 

After harshly biting the inside of his cheeks, he made his final decision to finally answer the spirit’s question. He smiled, eyes formed as though it was the beautiful crescent moon, sparkling in delight. In which baffled Chanyeol. Because although Baekhyun seemed sad, his smile felt sincere.

 

“It will give you enough time to miss me more.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Ugh!! Miss?! Really, Baekhyun?!”

 

Baekhyun kept pacing back and forth in front of the mirror for how many times now while his hands pull his hair out of embarrassment. After his final message that surprised both of the spirit and him, he quickly turned and disappeared out of Chanyeol’s sight. It’s been three hours since it happened yet the memory of embarrassment is still haunting the male.

 

He slumps himself on his white bed after feeling tired. He already washed his hair but wasn’t actually trying to sleep since he’s been bothered by what he did.

 

Finally, he saw Chanyeol once again. It wasn’t anything special, but this day felt fulfilling for him. He knew there was something missing when the spirit stopped showing up to him, and he confirmed all of that when a change of emotion bursts through the depths of his body upon the sight of the taller.

 

Baekhyun woke up very early the next day feeling gloomy and unenergetic—too far from his usual self. The snowfall was way worse. It seemed like it’s joining Baekhyun on his despair.

 

He walked across the crowded hallway of his university feeling alone. He didn’t care about anything or anyone around him. The thought of Chanyeol was the only content in his mind right now and he can’t function well enough because of it.

 

“Baekhyun, do you mind pasting these decorations on the upper part of the stage? You’re kind of taller than me so I guess you can reach it, unlike me.”

 

Baekhyun just nodded and took the box of decorations from the volunteer’s hands and quickly made his way up on the ladder. Although the unstable movement of the small platform at the top of the ladder freaked him out a bit, he still chose to continue what he’s told to do.

 

Everyone is busy around him. The members of the clubs all have their own businesses for their assigned booths for the upcoming entrepreneurship day that is happening soon. There are people seen running around the area, painting things, and such. It looked much disorganized yet little by little, from where Baekhyun is seated, he can see progresses from each other. He was too amazed by how the set up was being formed that he didn’t notice a man rushing beneath him, bumping on to another man, and finally landing on the unstable foot of the ladder he’s currently in.

 

“Baekhyun!!!”

 

It was too quick. No one was able to help him. He started falling down the ladder, hoping that someone will be there to catch him before he hits his head on the floor.

 

He kept on calling Chanyeol’s name, wishing that he hears him for the second time.

 

But there was no Chanyeol to save him this time.