CHAPTER 4

Bring Me To Life

Baekhyun wakes up due to freezing. Turns out he had a very good sleep last night that he dropped his blanket on the floor because of so much moving. He groans while shivering and started scratching the sleep off of his eyes. As he slowly gains back to his consciousness, his eyes enlarge.

 

He quickly roams his eyes around the small unit. No spirits are found.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t know what to feel. He should be happy confirming that what happened last night was just a mere illusion, yet he can’t stop himself from feeling disappointed knowing that none of it was real.

 

Chanyeol.

 

And even the kiss.

 

He shook his head and tried erasing the thoughts inside his mind. Today, despite of the freezing cold weather, is actually a good day to look for a job. Winter is here but Baekhyun is happy that the snowfall is not too much. Just about right for his to safely walk on pathways while looking for a vacant job.

 

“You mean your ugly stepmother kicked you out of the house last night?!” Baekhyun can’t help but to snicker at Sehun’s reaction. Sehun is his best friend ever since they learned how to talk. He’s been always there for Baekhyun. He acts like his younger brother in which Baekhyun has been thankful for. “And you did not call me?!”

 

Baekhyun bites his lips. “I’m sorry. I didn’t want to disturb your soccer victory celebration just because of that,” He explains. Actually, Baekhyun is half lying. It’s true, Sehun won a soccer competition so his teammates decided to have fun and conducted a celebration on a bar that’s why he didn’t worry to, but it’s not the whole reason why Baekhyun did not call him.

 

He never wanted to be anyone’s burden. Even to his best friend. Knowing Sehun, he’ll get mad at his stepmother and will surely do reckless things that can actually worsen the situation. At least now Sehun won’t be able to do anything anymore. It’s already done.

 

“Baekhyun, are you serious?!” Sehun slams his palm on the wooden table. “You could’ve died outside this cold weather if not for the landlady who let you stay in her unit!” Baekhyun is not certain if he should laugh because of his best friend’s face. Sehun’s pale skin turned red and his eyes are almost bulging out. Not to mention that he looks like he’s about to spit fire in any minute.

 

“And I didn’t,” Baekhyun calmly says as he takes as sip of his avocado smoothie. “What I need now is a job, Sehun. And that’s the only help I need from you.”

 

“I will just pay your rent,” Sehun volunteered. The smaller lad nearly choked on his drink. He examines his best friend and observed if he’s serious. And he is.

 

“You’re not gonna do that,” he warns, mixing the smoothie with his plastic straw and takes a sip once more. “I won’t let you do it.”

 

“And why?”

 

“Because it’s not necessary!” he said. “I’m not your responsibility, Sehun. If you really want to help me, you will help me find a job.”

 

Sehun sighs in defeat. “Okay fine. I know one.” 

 

The guy watches Baekhyun’s face lit up in joy. It never failed to amuse him. “Really?” He asks and his best friend silently replies with a slight nod.

 

Satisfied with his best friend’s reaction, he showcases a slight smile and speaks. “Yeah, I think I can help you get the job easy.”

 

Baekhyun was more than happy learning that his new job will be somewhat related to his passion. Ever since he was little, he already loved singing. Although working on a bistro as a waiter was a common job for everyone, it’s not usual for the manager to see a new employee being this happy with his new occupation. That gave a good impression to the boss and ended up letting Baekhyun try singing when he wants to after hearing his voice. He thinks Baekhyun will do a great work.

 

“Yes, I just went to the shop and they were really nice!” the bubbly lass delightedly tells his best friend on the other line of the phone. “The interior was nice and relaxing. Not to mention free dinner!”

 

“Wait, you mean you’re on night shift?” Sehun asks on the phone, voice full of worry. “Why did you choose that?!”

 

Baekhyun frowns. “I have classes every morning, Sehun-ah,” He reasons out as he grips tightly on the phone. “I don’t have a choice, though.”

 

“Aish,” the boy hissed. He can’t believe he did not think of that. And now he can’t do anything about it. “Ok then, I will go pick you up every after work,” he declares.

 

“What?” panic can be heard through the lad’s voice. “You don’t really have to do that, Sehun. You’ve done so much.”

 

 “Do you expect me to let you go home at night? Alone?” Sehun huffs in frustration. If there is anyone who can make him feels like this, it has always been Baekhyun. He knows his best friend. He never wanted to be a burden to anyone so he never asked for anyone’s help—even his—for once, except yesterday, which makes him totally agitated. Baekhyun was and never will be a problem to him, in which the boy always failed to know. “Baekhyun please, at least let me do this. I’m going to die in worry every night if you won’t.”

 

Baekhyun can picture out his best friend’s annoyed face as he take careful steps back home. The broad daylight is making the weather really hot yet Baekhyun seemed to not mind any of it. What he knows now is that he won’t let this day get him. As much as possible, he will try and make this as positive only.

 

It’s been two days since the last encounter he had with the ghost, and he’s actually starting to believe that it was just a mere imagination or dream. It took time before he fully processed everything though. And ironically, he is disappointed with the fact that none of it was real when during that night He wished that everything was just a product of his creative mind.

 

But he’s thankful though. At least he isn’t really is haunted by a ghost named Chanyeol.

 

It was late when he realized that his way home is wrong. This is not his apartment. His feet unconsciously brought his back to their old house. Huge, elegant, but now it’s all dull. The walls despite of painted with white seemed dark, and even if the lights are on, the house is just gloomy. What can he say? An evil person is now ruling the house.

 

The gigantic chocolate coloured gates slowly opened, breaking Baekhyun from his stance. Before the huge entrance spat out anyone from inside, he quickly searched for a perfect hiding spot. He can’t be seen by anyone.

 

Just when a young looking woman, in her early forties dressed in extravagant clothes and huge pairs of jewellery comes out of the house, she was then followed by a man, Baekhyun thinks about 25 year old, and places a small peck on his step mother’s cheeks. Upon the sight of the two, the teenager felt disgusted and hurt. It hasn’t been long since his father died but his new wife already has someone kissing his outside his father’s house. And not to mention that he let him stay there! This is a complete disrespect to the dead man.

 

But Baekhyun can’t do anything but to silently cry behind the lamp post not far enough from the two. He grips the strap of his bag tightly, trying to fight the urge to cry, but failed to do so. Quietly, he watches his step mother as she wave good bye to Baekhyun thinks her boyfriend with his vision blurred by the tears threatening to fall, in which did not so long after.

 

Once the elder finally made it back inside the house and his boyfriend was out his vision, He went out of his hiding spot and leaned on the post. He grips his chest tightly as he felt the walls of his heart clenching due from supressing the loud sobs that almost went out earlier and finally releasing it now. His knees are weak from crying so he squats down and continued weeping.

 

His father was nothing but a money supplier for the woman. Veda, his step mother, obviously married his dad to leech of some money from him. Baekhyun always had the suspicion yet he kept on shrugging it off seeing the happiness his father had together with her. But now it’s all clear to him. He was a fool for letting her marry his father. Now all the teenager feels were hatred and regret. This sight just made his think he should be better, and get his father’s hard works back to its rightful owner—himself.

 

“You’re so ugly when you cry.”

 

Baekhyun almost jumps out in surprise hearing a familiar voice in front of him. He immediately stops crying—all senses are alert. His soft pale hands travelled up to his eyes and rubbed it harshly to get rid of his blurry tears. As soon as he gets his vision all cleared, a pair of shoes, not opaque enough because he can still see the harsh cement through the figure, greeted his eyes.  He almost shrieked in fear, but luckily, he didn’t. Or else his step mother would’ve known he’s here.

 

As his eyes travelled up to the person towering him, he slowly realizes who this can be, as the memories of the night he spent two days ago flashed back to his mind. He carefully shook his head, trying to deny the fact that what he’s seeing is real.

 

“N-no, you can’t be real,” Baekhyun matters to himself. His face showcases a horrified reaction with a little bit confusion blended in his eyes perfectly.

 

The spirit frowns in the sight of the teenager’s reaction. “Are you sure we’re back at this you are not real stage again? I’m hurt,” he jokingly says and clenched his glowing chest. “Seems like you don’t know me anymore.”

 

“Stay away from me Chanyeol!” He screams, but not loud enough to catch attention around the neighbourhood.

 

“Oh I guess you still do,” the giant said, grinning down to Baekhyun who is slowly standing up. The presence of the spirit surprisingly distracted Baekhyun from his heart break. Now all of his attention is focused on Chanyeol. The taller crosses his arms against his glowing chest and raises an eyebrow to the same gender. “What are you doing here anyways?”

 

Baekhyun froze. He later realized the he’s still standing in front of his old house. Chanyeol might be here to accompany him but to other people, he’s alone. Someone might see him and report him to the guards or to his step mother. That’s the last thing he wants to deal with.

 

“None of your business,” he directly replies. His soft pale hands travelled up to his cheeks and wiped the tear-stained skin he has on his face. “How did you even find me here?” he quickly changes the topic and started walking away. He doesn’t feel Chanyeol chasing him but he didn’t care. He continued taking fast paced steps. All he wanted to do right now is to go away from the house that was once a paradise to him but now, after what he witnessed earlier, he is disgusted seeing the place he once called as home.

 

“I did not find you,” Chanyeol who continued to stand still from his spot and settled himself from watching the boy fade from his vision answered. The made Baekhyun’s feet automatically stop from taking another step. He carefully turns around. Chanyeol is not lying, he can see that based on the expressions he gives, but the other male refuses to believe the latter. He shook his head.

 

“No, you did not summon him, Baekhyun. You did not,” he convinces himself with eyes shut, expecting to not see anyone anymore once he opens it again.

 

But He was wrong. Instead, he got Chanyeol’s face up close face too much for his comfort. His initial reaction was to take a step back, but he just earned a sheepish grin from the spirit. “You did,” Chanyeol mocks.

 

Chanyeol stands up straight. Baekhyun’s and his height has such a huge gap that he had to bend over to lean on his face. As soon as he fixed his position, the teenager saw how tall the spirit was. He was towering him.

 

“So you’re real…” Baekhyun repeats, finally accepting the truth. Chanyeol’s face lit up while nodding. The little lad gulps. If he is real, then the kiss was…

 

Baekhyun shook his head to erase the thoughts. He wanted to quickly avoid what he’s thinking but it was too late. He was blushing. And worse, Chanyeol saw it. “Don’t say anything!!!” Baekhyun yells, pointing at Chanyeol. His eyes are enlarging, clearly threatening the giant who’s been giving him an annoying smirk.

 

“Well I guess you’re okay now,” Chanyeol commented. There isn’t any hint of his cry anymore as the guy has observed. He joined Baekhyun as he walks away from their old house. He slipped his hands inside his pockets and continued looking at his companion. “I just realized that you cry every time I see you.”

 

“I don’t,” Baekhyun quickly denies, but inside him, he also thought about that. “I wasn’t crying.”

 

“Okay,” Chanyeo shrugs it off, but he purposely made it sound like he isn’t having any of it to annoy the shorter. “If you say so.”

 

“Ugh,” he groaned. “Ok fine I do.”

 

“You must be that sad,” Chanyeol blurted out. He failed to be aware of Baekhyun’s face softening. “You always cry.”

 

“I am,” Baekhyun agreed. That caught the attention of the spirit. His ears are now all focused on the cute guy’s mouth, expecting he’d speak up more, but Baekhyun didn’t. He only finished their conversation with, “guess that’s one of the downsides of being alive.”

 

“It is,” Chanyeol revived the almost dead conversation. Baekhyun quickly turns to look at him. He was wearing a sly smile, but it didn’t reach his dull eyes. “But it’s one of the downsides of being dead too.”

 

Baekhyun was just watching the male. His heart clenched upon seeing the sadness in his eyes but He did not say anything. Chanyeol’s vision was nailed on the ground they’re walking at. “Not knowing anything about you except your name. You don’t even know why you tried killing yourself. It’s sad, isn’t it?”

 

“It is,” the teenager subtly replies.

 

Chanyeol flashes another quick smile. “It’s sad to the point that I don’t want to live again anymore.” he heaves a sigh. “But here I am, hanging out with my key of second life.” The spirit diverts his gaze to meet Baekhyun’s eyes. “I don’t even know how you summon me here, and I think it was the ‘ups’ that are making us meet like this.”

 

Chanyeol suddenly realized something, which made him abruptly pause from making any physical movement. “What is it?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“I-I just realized that I always meet you every time you cry,” Chanyeol recalls.

 

“Uhhh yeah? You just said that earlier,” Baekhyun replied, clueless of what the ghost is trying to imply. The crease on his forehead folded deeper in confusion when Chanyeol gave him a look of frustration.

 

“No!!” he says. “Every damn time you cry, I always appear!”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes enlarge as he gasps in recognition. “So you’re saying…that my tears are what summon you?” he repeats. “So I should stop crying now,” he unintentionally says.

 

Chanyeol raises a brow at his as they continued walking. “You cry or not, I know your apartment. I can always teleport there, you know.”

 

“Wait, you can actually do that?” What the giant said made the younger upset; learning that Chanyeol can basically go to him every time he wants to, annoyed him for no reason. He is capable of visiting him any time he wants but he chose not to, which made Baekhyun frown. He spent two definite days doubting his mental health because of him. Chanyeol paying him a visit would’ve end all of his confusion but he was nowhere to be found. And now that he slowly believes that the spirit is not real, here he is again.

 

Chanyeol had an idea of what the tinier could actually be thinking as they take similar steps back to Baekhyun’s apartment. A silly grin pasted on his lips. “Why? You missed me?”

 

“W-What? No!” He immediately defended. “I just found it cool…yeah…”

 

“Okay,” Chanyeol shrugs, completely not believing his companion and continued to plaster a cheeky smile on his face. Baekhyun can feel that the spirit is not getting any of it yet he chose to ignore. He knew that if he argued on his defense, he’ll end up embarrassing himself more.

 

When Baekhyun had a sight of his apartment door, he notices a familiar figure standing outside it. Just when he looks at his face, his friend spotted him too.

 

“Baekhyun!” Sehun waves when he saw his best friend not from afar. “I was just about to knock on the door.” The guy walked towards him. The smaller lad started panicking.

 

“Relax,” Chanyeol whispers. “He can’t see me.”

 

Although the spirit has assured him about that, Baekhyun still can’t keep worrying about the fact that there is another human being with him while Chanyeol is around. There are things he still doesn’t know about the spirit and its capabilities.

 

But despite of the mess inside his mind, Baekhyun forces a smile to his enthusiastic best friend. He seemed happy today, judging by his wide smile; his eyes forming into a crescent moon. Baekhyun always liked his smile. So bubbly, carefree, and full of joy.

 

“Sehun!” He greeted back as Sehun joins his on his walk to his unit. “What brought you here?” Baekhyun asked as he slides the key card on his door and started pressing his password.

 

“Your unit is pretty nice despite of the cheap price,” Sehun commented as soon as he entered his unit. “Old women really can’t resist you huh.”

 

“Hey!” Baekhyun frowns as he faked being offended. Baekhyun pouted, in which made Chanyeol scoff. This is his first time seeing this side of Baekhyun. He can’t help but to feel agitated. Who is that Sehun guy? “It’s just that I’m nice, that’s why the landlady helped me.”

 

Sehun shakes his head while smiling. Baekhyun is really adorable, and he never failed to be amused by how he doesn’t even try to be cute.

 

“Anyways, I came here for a good news,” Sehun announced.

 

“Good news your face,” Chanyeol whispers with a frown plastered on his face. Baekhyun caught what he said and gave him a slight glare. “Wow so you know I’m still here,” Chanyeol sarcastically says when he saw Baekhyun gazing at him. The younger just rolled his eyes and continued listening to his best friend.

 

“I bought an apartment unit just beside your unit!” He broadcasted as he clapped in enthusiasm. But turns out, only he was happy with that thought.

 

“You what?!” Baekhyun exclaimed. “Sehun, what did you do?!”

 

“I bought a unit!” Sehun detected the grimace on his friend’s façade but he already anticipated this response so he chose to disregard it. He kept his enthusiasm until he felt that Baekhyun isn’t having any of it. His smile started to fade which Chanyeol enjoyed seeing.

 

Sehun sighs. “Look Baekhyun. I know you will not like this…at all,” he said. “But hear me out first, okay? Give me some time to explain.”

 

Baekhyun exhales. The look on his face was scary; it amused the spirit silently watching the two on the corner of the small unit. “This better be a good explanation, Oh.”

 

Sehun snickered. Baekhyun calls him Oh when he’s annoyed at him, and he certainly must give him a good explanation or else he’s so dead. Luckily, he’s prepared.

 

“Well, the idea of you alone in here really worried me,” Sehun’s face softened, obviously doing a cute gesture to tame the ranging friend. He held Baekhyun’s hand. Chanyeol shut his eyes. What he’s witnessing right now is making his toes curl in cringe. It’s better not seeing anything at all. “Baekhyun, I promised your father to protect you. I’m just working on his wish.”

 

Baekhyun sighs. He understands. His dad trusted Sehun so much and his death wish was to protect Baekhyun whatever happens. He knows that Sehun just cares about him. They are like siblings already. He can’t blame him if he actually cares.

 

“Okay fine,” Baekhyun gives up, earning a look of disbelief from the quiet presence on the corner of his unit.

 

“That’s the lamest reason ever,” Chanyeol mouthed. Baekhyun just rolled his eyes and continued listening to his best friend who was telling a story on how he got lost on the way to this building.

 

“And I even had to refuel my car since I was running out of gas,” Sehun continued as he takes a spoonful of rice Baekhyun prepared for them. “I should’ve thought about that before going.”

 

Chanyeol just watched silently as the two best friends shared their meal together. He observed how genuine Baekhyun’s smile is together with the Sehun boy. Little did the giant know, he’s starting to grow insecurity towards the other male. He viewed at the boy cautiously, as he compared his features against the other. Chanyeol frowns.

 

“I’m visibly taller,” Chanyeol whispers to himself, his eyes not breaking any contacts with the boy. “My nose is pointier, my teeth are lined better. And compared to his body, I’m ier. I got abs, my arms are big and—wait,” he pauses at the realization. “Why am I even comparing myself to this dimwit? I’m obviously better.”

 

He returns his gaze to Baekhyun who was laughing at his best friend’s jokes. “Look at him. He looks really different when he’s laughing…” Baekhyun felt his eyes on him so he meets the spirit’s stare. Baekhyun quickly squinted and rolled his eyes at the quiet being on the corner of his room. “And he never smiled at me, even once.” He frowns. “So unfair.”

 

“So Baekhyun, let’s go together to school tomorrow?” Sehun asked after they finished eating. “You have to be really early though.”

 

Baekhyun smiled. “Of course. Like always.”

 

Sehun only stayed for one and a half hour because he has soccer training in the afternoon yet Chanyeol felt like it’s been forever. Once Sehun was out of their sight, Baekhyun quickly turns to face him. Face wrinkled in frown. Here he goes again, Chanyeol thinks. The giant male wonders what he has done to be treated like this.

 

“What now?” Chanyeol said in his emotionless tone. He started walking and occupied the couch that was too short for his height. He left the whole of his legs hanging on the side of the seat and lay down. His vision that was focused on the ceiling was covered by the Baekhyun’s face, still scowling at him.

 

“You think I did not see how you looked at Sehun?” Baekhyun stated. “I saw it! You looked like you were about to let him see you and scare him to death.”

 

“But I did not,” Chanyeol calmly answers and closed his eyes and pretended to sleep; although spirits don’t actually feel sleepiness or anything at all, except their key’s touch. “And even if I wanted to, only you can see me. I don’t get to control on who I want to see me.”

 

“So you really wanted him to see you!” Baekhyun accused. He tried picking up the pillow sitting peacefully on his bed and hit Chanyeol yet the fluffy object just went through his body. Agitated, he throws the pillow out and groans. “Why would you even want that?!”

 

He only heard Chanyeol’s laugh. “Just wanted to test how manly he is. You know, he doesn’t look like one.” He looks at Baekhyun teasingly. “He looks girly like you.”

 

Baekhyun grunts through gritted teeth and started beating him with bare hands. If pillows don’t work, at least the male was sure his palms were. Chanyeol yells in fake pain. He can’t actually feel anything except his hands touching his arms, but he knows this is the only way Baekhyun can let out his annoyance so he let his have what he wants.

 

“Is this how you treat a friend? By hitting them really hard?” Chanyeol complains while caressing his ‘injured’ part. He sat up, still pretending to be hurt.

 

“You can’t fool me. I know you can’t feel anything besides my touch.” He headed straight to the kitchen and drank the whole glass of cold water he poured from a pitcher.

 

What he said earned him a mischievous smile from the spirit as he stared at him with malice. “So you researched about me huh,” he stated and leaned on the couch. He spread his long arms on its backrest as he crossed his legs. “You’re curious about me.”

 

Baekhyun froze in embarrassment and quickly looked away. He quickly finished one glass of water due to blushing and harshly wiped his wet lips. “I did. I wanted to know how to avoid you.” Chanyeol just smiled. Baekhyun is not a good liar, he can clearly see that, but he kept his mouth shut, amused by the younger’s adorable blush.

 

“So you’re coming to school tomorrow,” Chanyeol diverted the topic to revive the conversation. He settled in sitting and watched Baekhyun make his way to his bed.

 

Baekhyun sighs. “Yes,” He answered.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes didn’t miss the worry in Baekhyun’s face. “What’s the matter?” he asked. It was obvious that the student didn’t want to go to school, based on the emotion he’s showing to the spirit right now. The giant is curious. He has seen this side of the girl a lot although they haven’t met that long, yet it was always because of different reasons.

 

“Nothing,” He answered while busying himself by fixing his bed. “It’s just that, I think there will be some changes at school tomorrow. Especially that I’m not the same as before anymore.”

 

Chanyeol scorns. “Just because your step mom kicked you out of your house, that doesn’t mean that everything will change,” he tried telling the younger, in hopes to console his anxious heart. “Come on, it’s not as if they’re going to bully you there or something.”

 

“Still,” Baekhyun rebuts, tossing the pillow on the headboard of his tiny bed. “You can’t blame me for being worried. Especially that most of the people there are just…too…mean,” he continued, saying the last words with complete hesitation.

 

He has always liked the idea of being at school. He has friends, most people loves him because he has established a good reputation by being the student council secretary. Yet he is completely aware with the fact that there are people who want to bring his down. From the rumours he get every week that always immediately dies down because no one actually believed in it, he knew. But he never said a thing, because he thinks there’s no reason to focus on it. However, he lied. He has always been bothered and worried. It developed his anxiety. He never liked the idea of worrying about it too much, but the people around him made him do so. And now that he doesn’t have a father anymore or the home that was supposed to be owned by him, he is weak.

 

He’s emotionally unstable. He’s broken. It will be easy for people to drag him down. 

 

“That Sehun guy promised to protect you,” Chanyeol said. He might hate to admit it, but the truth is only Sehun can do something for Baekhyun. He cannot touch anything, nor interact to any living thing except him, so he’s worthless. He cannot protect Baekhyun. “He must take responsibility of his words.”

 

“Sehun’s my best friend, not my body guard. It’s not his duty to protect me,” Baekhyun defended in behalf of his best friend. He stood up after fixing his bed and picked up the green plastic comb lying on top of the dresser he had along with his unit. He began running the comb down to the strands of his brunette hair as the spirit watched his in silence. “Besides I’m not actually in favour of that protect me thing. I don’t want to be a burden to him.”

 

Chanyeol frowns. “You are not a burden. If Sehun thinks you are a burden then would he even initiate living close to you?”

 

Baekhyun just rolled his eyes because Chanyeol made a point. “That’s the problem. He doesn’t think I’m a burden!” He cried, trying to prove his stand.

 

Sitting comfortably, Chanyeol raised a brow to the lad. “You are not a burden to him. In fact, he is the burden to you,” he stated, earning a confused look from Baekhyun. He just shrugged. “Well as how I can see it, Sehun is a burden to you because he don’t see you as a burden,” he tried to explain yet the deep crease on the teenager’s forehead indicates that he did not get what he was trying to say. “Oh come on you’ll get it soon. Just think harder.”

 

Baekhyun just rolled his eyes, not even bothering to decode the spirit’s disputes. “Can we not talk about this anymore? What about you? You already know how I was able to summon you. Why are you still here?”

 

Chanyeol faked hurt and clutched his glowing chest. A pout matched with puppy eyes from the ghost’s face were given to Baekhyun, which the boy surprisingly found cute. “You want me to go now?” He frowned exaggeratedly when he saw panic on the Baekhyun’s eyes. “You don’t want me here?!”

 

To be honest, Baekhyun doesn’t know what to say. He knows Chanyeol is just bluffing right now, but he took his question seriously. Does he really want Chanyeol to stay? Of course not. His answer should be a no. But the thought of not seeing the spirit anymore somewhat alarms him. He thinks maybe he was just enjoying his company that’s why he feels this way. Yet of course he won’t say anything. If he says no, the giant will get hurt, and if yes, it will worsen the situation.

 

“I just can’t think of any reason why you’re still here,” Baekhyun defended, completely avoiding an eye contact with the dead. He made his way back to his bed and slumped himself on to the soft mattress. “You already got what you want from me.”

 

“I still have questions though,” he answered.

 

“Of course,” Baekhyun immediately replied, disappointed. Of course that is the reason. He is kind of annoyed at himself for expecting more than that answer. He thought the spirit wanted to stay because of him. Baekhyun would’ve loved to at least hear someone who wants to stay by his side, no matter if it is alive or not. “But why do you think I can help you with that?” He followed up before the ghost notice his sudden change of emotion.

 

The dismay remained unnoticed by the spirit comfortably sitting on the white couch in front of his companion. He was busy thinking if his reason is rational. “Because you’re my key,” he answered nonchalantly. “If there is anyone who can help me with my questions, it’s that person who can communicate with me, right?”

 

Baekhyun turned his head to face the wall and completely deleting the life-force out of his sight. “That’s the only thing I can do, Chanyeol. I’m not actually capable.”

 

“That is already more than enough.”

 

“I’m just going to disappoint you,” He retorted, gripping the sheets of his bed. The last words almost came out as a whisper, but the spirit was able to hear it clear. Baekhyun is not sure if it was the sleepiness but his eyes started throwing out droplets of water. “Just like what I did to myself.”

 

Baekhyun completely forgot about the skills he just acquired. The moment his tears stained the white sheets covering his bed mattress, Chanyeol’s body appeared just in front of him. Both were shocked to the extent of abruptly sitting up from lying down, but the spirit’s attention was quickly diverted to the wet line beside the smaller’s eyes. His forehead creased.

 

“You’re crying.” Chanyeol wasn’t even asking. Baekhyun quickly looks away and tried keeping his face although he knows there is no way he can lie to the guy in front of him. The big palms owned by the bigger person cupped his chin and carefully guided it to face him. The distance between the two bodies was forgotten.

 

“I’m not.” Baekhyun did not have to lie. Everyone in the room knew he is indeed crying. The flashbacks of his father quickly got in to his. He met the spirit’s warm but emotionless stare. His pupil is taking Baekhyun to the other dimension. He feels like the longer he looks, the more chances that Chanyeol will be able to hypnotize him. “I said I’m not,” he repeated, flicking the gigantic palms on his chin away.

 

“I’m curious about my past,” Chanyeol suddenly opens up, stopping Baekhyun in the middle of lying down. He immediately looked back at the ghost again. He wasn’t looking at him anymore. “I want to know what made me do this. I want to know the reason why I wanted to kill myself,” he admitted. The folds on his forehead deepen and his eyes started to water, but Baekhyun can see how much the spirit is trying to hold it back. “But I am afraid to know it too. I think that once I find out why, it will keep haunting me.”

 

“That’s why you don’t want to live anymore,” Baekhyun unconsciously blurted out, finally realizing how the soul’s mind is working. “You’re afraid to experience the reason why you wanted to kill yourself for the second time around even though you don’t know what exactly that reason is,” he continued. “Right?”

 

Chanyeol gave his a sly smile and a small nod. “Right.”

 

“But I’m still confused,” the 19 year old confessed. “You don’t want to find out about it but you want to find out about it?” He grimaced. “It doesn’t make sense.”

 

“I know,” Chanyeol agreed. He diverted his gaze to the azure outstretched sky with sparkly little dots as an accent through the window. The luminance of the full moon was defeated by the artificial light coming from the fluorescent of the room. They didn’t even notice that the day was running fast and it’s now evening. “But now that I found someone who can actually help me to do so, this might be a sign that I should go for it.” Chanyeol looked back at his companion and sighed. “Unless, of course, if you don’t want t—”

 

“N-no!” It was late when Baekhyun realized the tone of his voice. He sounded like he really wanted to go for it, which immediately embarrassed him. He snapped out and shut his eyes. “I mean, I’m willing,” he clarified, calmer.

 

The blush stained on the boy’s cheeks earned a mischievous grin from the lad. He looked at the panic on Baekhyun’s face and he can’t help but to silently giggle from adoration. “Ok, that’s great.” He sits up straight and locked his gaze at the shy subject. “Since you really don’t have a choice though.”

 

“I know right,” Baekhyun muttered under the annoyance of his breathe. Its volume was low, but the big ears the spirit obtained were an asset. He heard him clearly. “You can leave my bed now. I’m going to sleep.”

 

If Baekhyun did not mention, Chanyeol wouldn’t have noticed how fast the time went by. Talking to his new found friend was oddly entertaining although he is not completely sure if it was because the boy is really engaging or he was just fascinated by the idea that someone is finally there to talk to after being an invisible spirit for years now that he already gave up on counting.

 

The student quickly pulled the blanket over his head and cover himself with the white sheets without even bothering to see if Chanyeol already moved out of his sleeping area or not. He actually has no idea about the sparkly pair of eyes watching him with a smile on his face. If he knew, he’d be creped out. But the spirit just can’t take his eyes off his key; and he is clueless of the reason behind this attachment.

 

The night passed by quickly. Baekhyun surprisingly was able to fall asleep without feeling anyone looking at him. Maybe because of tiredness that he didn’t even remember to eat dinner anymore. Chanyeol is just silently watching his in his deep slumber while settling himself on the usual place he always occupies—the couch. He looks at Baekhyun’s features. He must be too dumb to realize this just now but Baekhyun is really pretty for a guy. His eyes are bright and sparkly. The spirit feels like he melts every time their eyes lock at each other.

 

His eyes travelled down to his agape lips. He was reminded of the first night they met. The giant’s palms went straight up to his lips too. The touch of his rims still ghosts on his. The softness, the warmth, everything is still clear to the body.

 

Chanyeol shook his head and shrug the thought off. Maybe the night is still taking long for him and his boredom is getting on his head. He needs to freshen up.

 

The next thing he did was to stand and pictured the image of his new location. As he shut his eyes, the surroundings transformed in to a disoriented blur. The moment he opened it again, he was in the place he thought of. Baekhyun wasn’t there anymore. Everything was too bright and peaceful. The plants were glowing and dancing to the hum of the birds beautifully exploring the wide potted garden. The sound of the water gushing from the huge fountain in the middle of the scenery led him to the person he wanted to meet.

 

“Chanyeol,” a neat looking man dressed in white tuxedo welcomed him with a big hug. It’s been a while since he last met this guy, and the shorter obviously missed the younger spirit.

 

“Suho,” he replied with a smile. If there’s any person who can answer his questions about his key, it’s him. Chanyeol, being educated about the key for a long time already, should know everything by now, yet he didn’t bother to learn things about it since he never really had supposed that he’s actually going to meet him. But since Baekhyun is already on the picture, the spirit figured out it’s time to know things about him and his relation to his key. 

 

“You should’ve told me you’ll visit here today,” the shorter jokingly complains, his eyes smiling with him. “What are you doing here today?”

 

“I found my key,” Chanyeol bluntly says.

 

“You—what?”

 

Chanyeol wasn’t surprised by the elder’s reaction. It really is shocking to come out from the giant’s mouth. He watched the other spirit enlarge his eyes in disbelief. “I said I found my key,” he repeated, ignoring Suho’s reaction.

 

“What?” the crease on Suho’s forehead deepened in confusion as he look at the other male. “Wait, I thought you don’t have any plans on finding him?” he recalled. “Isn’t it what you told my father?”

 

Chanyeol nods. Suho’s father. They aren’t actually related to each other, but since Suho has been assigned by the heavens to help his ‘father’ on his duties, they decided to just call him one and treat each other like real family.

 

“Yep,” he agreed. “Ok then let me rephrase my sentence. My key found me.”

 

“What?!” Suho cannot determine if the younger is just trolling him or not. But for a guy like Chanyeol who has been really serious about this matter, he knows it’s impossible for him to make fun out of this. Yet he still can’t believe what he’s saying. “How is that even possible?”

 

The two spirits started taking their path to an unknown destination. Their feet must have figured out it’s boring to talk to each other while standing still. They found themselves roaming around the entirety of the white tiled garden while exchanging conversations.

 

“It was when the first snow fall of the year. I was roaming around the streets like I usually do,” he started. “I didn’t know what happened. I just heard voice. And the moment I turn my head to look for that voice, I am nowhere near in my location. I was suddenly teleported at the park and I saw him cry.” He shrugged. “Then I found out just earlier he can summon me using his tears.”

 

Suho stopped in the middle of their exploration. Chanyeol looked at him in confusion. He observed the elder spirit’s face, beads of sweat running down his faultless forehead. The peacefulness of the place suddenly disappeared and was replaced by the troubled heart of Chanyeol.

 

The look on Suho’s face was fear and worry blended in perfection. His eyes were uneasy, and his neck continues to gulp the lump forming in his throat. What he heard was obviously not okay.

 

“Suho? What’s wrong?” Chanyeol asked as he placed his pale palms on top of the spirit’s shoulder. “Did I say anything—”

 

“Your key…can summon you?” Chanyeol’s words were cut off when the shorter finally spoke. He met the giant’s gaze with fear sinking in his eyes.

 

The taller nodded, unsure. “Isn’t that one of the key’s ability?” the lack of answer from the elder spirit created another question inside his head. “It’s normal, right?”

 

Suho turned his body to completely face the taller. Both of his hands travelled up and gripped Chanyeol’s shoulders tightly. “Chanyeol, listen to me. You have no choice at all.”

 

It was Chanyeol’s turn to furrow his brows. This spirit is acting weird which is not usual. He knows his friend is only serious when he’s doing his job but not when they’re here just talking like normal friends. “What do you mean? You know that I have no plans of being—”

 

“But you have no choice at all!”

 

“Why?!” The quietness of the place was completely dissolved after the younger’s deep yet loud voice echoed around the place. Chanyeol was looking at Suho, desperately waiting for the other spirit’s answer. “Why don’t I have any choice at all?” He didn’t even noticed how his hands went to his friend’s arms and shaken it vigorously.

 

“I still can’t tell you, Chanyeol because I myself am still not sure,” Suho answered, almost like a whisper, yet it didn’t stop the taller to be anxious about it. “But what I do know is that you have a very special bond—a bond like no other.”

 

“You mean his ability is not usual for a key?” The lankier spirit asked, puzzled.

 

Suho nodded; face still pale from what he learned. “Just be careful, especially around the boy. Make sure you watch out for him all the time.”

 

The wrinkle on the giant’s forehead developed in confusion. “Why? Why should I? Just tell me, Suho!”

 

“Alright, I will tell you,” Suho exhaled. “This special bond is strong. The both of you have a strong connection to each other. Usually, a spirit just needs a drop of blood on his glowing chest from his key to fulfil the bind and be mortal once again but in your case it’s different.”

 

Chanyeol observed the uneasiness in Suho’s eyes. He felt his throat went dry. “H-how are we different? What kind of bind are you talking about?”

 

“In your case, Chanyeol,” Suho breathed out. “Need not a drop of blood for the glowing chest to complete the bind, because it will be worthless.” He looked at the younger spirit in the eyes. “In order to have the second life you might or might not want to have, death shall take place.”

 

Chanyeol froze, his stance weakened. It felt like the whole world fell off his shoulders. The grip of his giant hands on Suho’ s shoulders loosened as a look of disbelief shot in to his eyes. He must’ve heard it wrong. “What are you talking about?”

 

“Chanyeol, that boy was able to summon you because you share a different bond. You two are connected to each other. Time will pass by and you’ll learn unusual things too that you never imagined you can do because of him.” Suho shuts his eyes and let out a sigh. “The string tied between you and that boy is the string of life and death. Only one of you can be alive. And since you already did die, soon enough it will be his turn and you will become alive.”

 

“How did that happen?” It was the best thing Chanyeol can say. “You mean we’ve been connected since I was alive? You’re saying that if I did not die, he’ll never be able to live?”

 

Suho nods. “Something must’ve happened in your past.”

 

What could it be? Chanyeol thought. What could’ve happen in his past to have such strange bond? Now unravelling the tangled questions about his past felt like a necessity.

 

“What if…” Chanyeol said, getting the older spirit’s attention back to him. “What if we both refuse this?”

 

Suho looked away. “You can’t, Chanyeol…” He bit the inside of his cheeks before speaking once again. “You can’t avoid his death.” Another exhale was set free. Suho turned his heels and completely faced the opposite direction. “That boy’s death has been destined the moment you connected his life with your death. It’s inevitable.”

 

Chanyeol felt like someone sipped out all the energy from his body. The thought of someone innocent sacrificing their life for him is absurd enough for him to believe. A spirit like him who doesn’t want to live again is caught in this kind of situation. It seemed like the heavens are playing with him.

 

“How do I stop it?”

 

Suho was completely surprised by the spirit’s next words. This is the first time he encountered someone like Chanyeol, since he’s new to this field. But the determination blended with fear on the younger’s tone amused him. Nonetheless, it will not change the fact that their fate has already been planned.