That Realization

"That" Night

Right after the concert, the members went to the place where their eldest hyung was. It was the nearest hospital from the venue and Baekhyun felt his gut twitching. When a member was hurt, it was like they were as well. In Minseok’s case, he couldn't even say if he was hurt or not. He would just bear it and Baekhyun despised it.

 

Running in haste, they reached the assigned room. Baek quickly looked at Minseok, who seemed to be sleeping. A doctor was standing beside him, facing the members.

 

“How is Minseok-hyung, doctor?” Junmyeon stepped forward, voicing everyone’s concern.

 

The doctor adjusted the rim of his glasses as he glanced at the sleeping figure behind. Baekhyun felt really down, he just wanted to run and hug him or even take the pain he was feeling.

 

“The patient just passed out because of over fatigue. He's been given a pain killer for his migraine and he'd soon wake up. You've nothing to worry about, just don't strain him too much.” The doctor nodded. “If you need something, just call me.” He bowed once, as the members said their gratitudes and let him out of the room. As soon as he did, the members flocked the bed, letting out their silent sighs.

 

“This is all over Naver and the news now.” Suho muttered, as he went towards the window. The members looked at Junmyeon and at each other as they scattered about, claiming their spots.

 

Baekhyun remained beside the bed, looking at Minseok’s sleeping face. He'd seen this multiple times, but somehow, tonight had a different color in it. He could feel that his hyung might be really disappointed to himself and Baekhyun couldn't bear the thought of that. He only hoped that he would wake up not doing what he foresaw him to.

 

Baekhyun slowly reached out a hand towards his hyung’s cheek, but stopped when his eyes traced his lips. Heart pounding rapidly in his chest, he quickly pulled out and hid his hand, as if preventing himself from touching Minseok.

 

“I'll post something on Instagram for EXO-Ls, hyung.” Chanyeol suddenly suggested, giving off a smile. It relieved Baekhyun that the awkward atmosphere could lighten up a bit, as their attention went to their tallest member.

 

Junmyeon turned to Chanyeol and nodded softly. “Don't let them overreact.”

 

Chanyeol's face was lit up with his phone, as he smiled, teeth gleaming.

 

“Should we wait until hyung wakes up?” Sehun walked towards the bed, looking intently at Minseok.

 

Junmyeon uncrossed his arms. “The room is too cramped, Minseok-hyung might feel suffocated.”

 

“Yeah, let's just wait outside and have a meal, how's that sound?” Jongdae chimed, not forgetting to give them a comforting smile. “We can get some food for Minseok-hyung as well.”

 

The members looked at each other then at their sleeping hyung and back to Jongdae.

 

“Alright.” Yixing nodded and headed to the door. “Let's do that.”

 

Before the members gathered to the door, Baekhyun spoke up. “I'll stay here.” He didn't turn his head to look at them as he straightened up.

 

Junmyeon and Jongdae exchanged looks of certainty, as Chen returned his beam. “Okay. We'll bring two, then.”

 

The rest of EXO went out of the room, as they made sure that the door was securely closed.

 

Baekhyun let out a sigh he had been keeping for long now. He would constantly look at the clock or at the door, waiting for somebody to come back. He couldn't look back at Minseok, for his creeping fear of carelessly touching him.

 

Somehow during that night, he felt light, as if a burden was lifted off of his chest. He just could not remember how that happened, but the thought of him and Minseok kissing brought a thousand butterflies in his stomach. He'd smack his head whenever he thought of that, but the harder he suppressed the feelings, the stronger it would come back.

 

Perhaps, he was just really drunk and still was that he had the guts to even think about that.

 

“Hnghh…” Baekhyun heard Minseok groaning, and he quickly perked up, turning his head to see him.

 

“Hyung…?” Baek whispered softly, eyes painted with worry.

 

Minseok’s eyes slowly fluttered, as Baekhyun’s heart did a backflip. “Hyung,” he once again called, with more confidence realizing that he was waking up.

 

Minseok’s eyes traveled around until they reached Baekhyun’s own, lifting up the latter’s lips into a smile. “Baek.” He said, almost inaudibly, his voice low and cracking.

 

Baekhyun widened his smile. “You okay now?”

 

Minseok leaned his weight on both of his wrists, propping himself up into a sitting position. Baekhyun helped him up, as he nodded at Baek. “I'm better.”

 

Baekhyun’s smile faltered as he witnessed the quick change of emotion from his hyung. His eyes were visibly sparkling a while ago but when it reached Baekhyun, the sparkle somehow dulled and was replaced with hollowness. Baekhyun quickly held Minseok’s hand, squeezing it gently. “It's okay.” He tried to make him look at him but to no avail.

 

The slight twitch from Minseok’s lips was gone unnoticed, as he pulled an obviously forced smile. “I messed up, huh.” He turned to the window.

 

Baekhyun was internally panicking, but he couldn't show it now. “Minseok-hyung.” He lowered his voice to indicate that he was serious. “It's okay. Your health is the most important here, don't force yourself ever again, you hear?” Baekhyun was still looking at Minseok, eyes focused on his hyung’s.

 

Minseok didn't seem to be listening, as he let out an empty chuckle, before sighing and finally looking at Baekhyun. It was a progress, nevertheless.

 

“I'm sorry.”

 

That Baekhyun didn't expect.

 

“Wha-what?!” Baekhyun's throat felt blocked, as he furrowed his brows in surprise and confusion. “Why are you sorry?” He almost screamed in disbelief.

 

Minseok just softened his gaze and smiled slightly. “I became a bother to you, the members, the staff, EXO-Ls…” He let out a sigh, as his gaze dropped to his hand.

 

Baekhyun mirrored Minseok’s soft look a while ago, debating internally if he should hold his hyung's hand or not. “It's okay, Minseok. I…” He decided not to, as he bit his bottom lip. “...I understand.” He would smile, waiting for Minseok’s reaction.

 

The elder looked at him with soulful eyes, meeting Baekhyun’s own hopeful ones. They said that the eyes are the mirror of the soul. Baekhyun hoped that Minseok could see through his eyes what he wanted to say to him.

 

A smile appearing slowly on Minseok’s features, he nodded once at Baekhyun, as if he had heard just what he wanted to hear. “Thank you for that. I appreciate.”

 

Baekhyun’s heart did another set of backflips, as he beamed. He only hoped he didn't look foolish, as he felt like his face would be ripped into two with his smile.

 

“At first, I wanted to scold you, but I changed my mind. I understand why you could have done that. Maybe if I was in your place, I'd do the same,” he shrugged, as Minseok chuckled. This time, it was more honest. Baekhyun felt even happier.

 

“Just…” Baekhyun bit the inside of his cheeks. “...don’t go fainting like that again and take a break when you don't feel good.” Baek sounded like the older one in the room, but Minseok didn't seem to care, as he nodded.

 

“Sorry for worrying you.” Minseok scratched the back of his neck, flashing a sheepish eye smile.

 

“It's okay, hyung. It's okay.”

 

---------

 

Camera flashed here and there, as Junmyeon and Jongdae tried to get through the thick crowd, with the help of their bodyguards, of course. They were supposed to be bringing the other members, but finding out about the flock of curious reporters and article writers in the hospital made them rethink and just go in lesser number. However, they didn't expect them to be this many, as Junmyeon clicked his tongue in annoyance.

 

Jongdae hid his eyes behind the shadows of his hat, as he leaned closer to their leader. “Should we stop and answer some of them?”

 

Junmyeon looked around, seeing the reporters with their recorders and camera in hand. He frowned. “Are they even genuinely curious about Minseok’s condition or they just want to gain views and attention?” He said bitterly, as he straightened himself up, which prompted the reporters to gather more, as the flashes grew faster.

 

Jongdae turned to Junmyeon and saw the frustration in his face. He certainly had a point. The media would only want to show what they wanted to be seen to be sensationalized. Nowadays, facts remained as taboos that were constantly hidden. The frustration came into Jongdae as well.

 

Junmyeon stopped from his tracks, making everyone do the same, as he was flooded with questions and microphones directed to his face. He pulled a smile he seemed to be very used to and Jongdae knew it wasn't real.

 

“Minseok-hyung is now fine, you have nothing to worry about.” Junmyeon would step forward, but a reporter would block his path. The guards of the hospital and theirs were trying to subside the crowd, but Suho would stop them.

 

“Why exactly did Xiumin-ssi pass out on stage? Does this mean that he was overworked?” A question came ringing Junmyeon and Jongdae’s ears.

 

“Ah,” Junmyeon shook his head, keeping his smile on. “Our managers would soon release the official statement. Please wait for it.” He nodded once.

 

Jongdae was in awe about Suho’s patience and professionalism in answering the questions without putting anyone in trouble. He had no doubts in his capability.

 

“Was there any negligence between the members and the staff?”

 

Junmyeon and Jongdae had the same expression painted on their faces. The smile in Suho’s face was gone in an instant, as he promptly looked at the ground. He knew that even if he answered this question, the meaning would be twisted anyway. Jongdae held his wrist and squeezed it, offering a slight gesture of comfort.

 

Now, Junmyeon knew what speculations were running around the internet and the media. He could only clench his fist and tolerate more.

 

In both of their relief, the crowd was pushed outside, as the two of them ran towards the car prepared outside the establishment.

 

“You dodged the question greatly, Junmyeon.” Their manager spoke up, who was sitting on the shotgun. Junmyeon just nodded once, staring at the window as the car started.

 

“Sorry you had to deal with that,” Manager Yongmin added.

 

“It's nobody’s fault, hyung. It's part of our job.” Suho let out a sigh, as Jongdae looked at him, eyeing him with concern.

 

“You still have a concert tomorrow. Hold on until we go back to Korea and clear things up.” Their manager said, as Jongdae thought of Minseok.

 

“What about Xiumin-hyung? Will you allow him?” Jongdae asked as he held onto the hem of his shirt. He was genuinely concerned and if he was asked the same question, he would not know what to answer.

 

“It depends on him. If I have the final say, I'd say no, but with Minseok’s personality,” Yongmin suppressed a chuckle as he smiled. “He's not the type to retreat, you know?” He craned his neck backwards.

 

Junmyeon and Jongdae smiled at that, the same thoughts in their heads. “Yeah…”

 

Yongmin turned forward. “Hopefully he's totally okay by now so it won't be hard on him.”

 

Jongdae and Junmyeon nodded in agreement. Since things already happened, all they could do was to face them and continue moving forward.

 

“I honestly want a Jjajangmyeon right now.” Jongdae muttered as he leaned against the window.

 

Yongmin chuckled. “I know a place. Let's buy your foods there.”

 

---------

 

As soon as Jongdae and Junmyeon were back from buying their foods, they called the rest back to Minseok’s room. To their surprise, the lights weren't as dim when they left. In fact, they were bright and they could hear the laughter from Minseok and Baekhyun inside.

 

All the stress were washed out from Junmyeon as soon as he heard those laughter. Smiling genuinely for the first time after the concert, they turned the knob and entered the room.

 

“Really, I was being dramatic! You should've seen me, hyung!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

 

Minseok giggled lightly. “Really? Should I do that again to see your poor acting skills?”

 

Before Baekhyun could protest and react, the other loud members shook the two with their sudden greeting, showing the plastic bags of dinner to them.

 

Their eyes instantly lit up, as Junmyeon stepped forward to hand over a bag to Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun fumbled the plastic with enthusiasm, as Minseok leaned over him to look. “It smells good!” He looked up at Suho and beamed.

 

Junmyeon cracked a smile. “It's Jjajangmyeon! We'll eat here before we go back to the hotel and rest up.”

 

The members whined simultaneously after Suho said that. In his surprise, even Minseok joined them.

 

“Can we just sleep here?” Jongin stepped forward, running a finger around the styrofoam container of the noodles.

 

“On the floor?!” Sehun gasped dramatically.

 

Junmyeon chuckled shortly, as he expected both of those remarks by the maknaes. “We still have a performance tomorrow. We have to get all the rest we can, so better sleep comfortably.”

 

“So, can I just be discharged and go with you?” Junmyeon and the others turned to Minseok, eyeing him with interest.

 

“I mean,” Minseok haunched slightly, feeling the pressure of getting all the attention. “I'm feeling better now, I think I'd be more comfortable there.” He bit his bottom lip ever slightly.

 

“Are you sure, hyung? We can tell the managers to arrange it.”

 

Minseok nodded. “I'm certain. I'm suffocating here.” He sounded like whining, and Junmyeon was more than pleased to know that he is totally a lot better now. It's what mattered to him.

 

Junmyeon widened his smile. “Alright then. Let's eat the noodles first before they get cold.”

 

The members nodded in agreement, scurrying around to find their spots in the small room. They all opened their containers, until the noise that dominated the room was them, slurping the dark noodles, all of them seemingly like it was the first time they ate it.

 

“Hyung, does your head still ache?” As usual, it's Baekhyun who broke the silence. Junmyeon turned to them, having the same question in mind.

 

Minseok paused from eating, as he turned to Baek. “Slightly.” He slurped the batch of noodles dangling in his mouth. When he noticed the change of expression from Baekhyun, he fixed his composure. “It's not bothersome now, I think this will be gone with another sleep.”

 

The others who paused from eating went back, easing the worry they were feeling.

 

After a few minutes of almost conceptual set of noise, most of the members had finished their meals. Junmyeon noticed that Minseok was constantly looking at each of his brothers, as if trying to find the right timing to speak. His lips cracking a smile, he set aside his bowl.

 

“Hyung, I know that you wanna say something.” Junmyeon widened his smile into almost a grin.

 

Minseok’s eyes widened, eliciting a snicker from Baekhyun who appeared to had been watching him all along. Junmyeon would talk to him later.

 

“Eh… hm…” Minseok fumbled with the blanket, rolling his eyes to Baekhyun as if asking for help.

 

“We're all ears,” Kyungsoo assured, as the others nodded in agreement.

 

Minseok inhaled. “Sorry, everyone.”

 

Baekhyun's grin dropped into an annoyed frown, rolling his eyes as he let out a groan.

 

The other members expressed their confusion, as they erupted into set of groans as well.

 

“You don't have to, hyung!” Chanyeol extended a hand and shook it along with his head.

 

“Yeah, you weren't a bother, please don't be sorry,” Sehun said.

 

Minseok’s eyes gleamed with joy, as a smile cracked between his lips. “I know you all are just saying that, please accept my apology.”

 

The people inside the room were stunned, as some looked at each other.

 

“Okay.” Junmyeon sighed, as Baekhyun was still frowning deeply at Minseok. “Of course. It's alright, though. We still can fix this.”

 

“Things are pretty rough online, but with just one push, this will be fine again.” Chanyeol spoke, as if he had read everyone’s concerns as of now. The media would be their biggest problem, but it would be over as quickly as it emerged.

 

“Just remember that we understand you, hyung,” Yixing half-smiled, his deep dimple showing.

 

Minseok raised his head to meet Yixing’s soft gaze, as he smiled and nodded. “Thank you.”

 

---------

 

As the entire EXO were entering the hotel, they were all eerily silent, aside from Chanyeol's and Kyungsoo's bickerings. Baekhyun would usually join them, but he had a different focus tonight.

 

Minseok was walking side by side with Sehun, as Baekhyun was seeing. He was glad that their hyung looked a lot better than hours ago. His problem wouldn't end just by feeling okay, though. Tomorrow, the fans would be anticipating them for explanation to why that happened. By now, Baekhyun felt that their Eries were currently under haywire. This thought was probably the one that was plaguing everybody’s minds, especially Minseok himself.

 

Before they could all enter their quarters, Minseok was called by their head manager. Baekhyun was curious, so he decided to tag along, in which Minseok tried to protest.

 

“Baekhyun, just go to sleep now and rest. I'm not going anywhere.” Minseok said as calm as he could.

 

Baekhyun wouldn't falter. “Hyung-nim already agreed. I won't break anything, I swear.”

 

Minseok pinched the bridge of his nose, as he crinkled it. “Fine.” He threw a look at Baekhyun, as they entered a room.

 

The atmosphere was suddenly serious after they were told to sit. Their manager was usually giddy around them but if it was business time, not even Baekhyun could put him at ease.

 

Yongmin started with a sigh, as he clasped his hands. “Xiumin-ssi. You probably know what's the effect of that, don't you?” He raised both of his eyebrows to look at Minseok, who turned to him with a solid but forlorn expression.

 

“Yes, hyung-nim.”

 

Baekhyun inched closer to Minseok, just enough for him to feel his warmth. He thought that it might provide him some sort of comfort.

 

“And you know that the higher ups would scold you all?”

 

Minseok, as well as Baekhyun, sighed in defeat.

 

“But it wasn't Minseok-hyung’s fault!” Baekhyun tried to argue, with Minseok elbowing him. He looked at the elder with his face saying 'What?!’ and Minseok just rolled his eyes.

 

“I know, hyung-nim. They aren't the problem, though. The media is. They're probably feasting over this incident and creating their own facts.” From how it went out from Minseok’s mouth seemed like a bitter venom to him, his face contorting in disgust.

 

Yongmin sighed, as he leaned on his chair. “The management staff would look like the bad guys here.”

 

“I'm sorry, hyung-nim. I should've known better.” Minseok bowed his head. Baekhyun wanted to say something, but he had to hold his tongue or else he would cause another turmoil.

 

“Let's end it there. It's not entirely your fault that happened. You were in pain but you're in the middle of performing. I don't blame you, Minseok.” Yongmin cracked a smile.

 

Minseok looked up, as he smiled back.

 

“I'll deal with the bosses. The official statement has just been released. You now focus on being on top shape for tomorrow, okay?”

 

Minseok nodded, as Baekhyun beamed.

 

“You all should deal with EXO-Ls.” Yongmin placed a hand on both of Baekhyun and Minseok’s shoulders, squeezing them lightly.

 

Baekhyun could feel his eyes warming up with the mention of the name. As he turned his head to his hyung, he also saw the same expression. For things like this, they really could only trust on them.

 

Yongmin stood up and picked up a phone from the table. “Oh, and your mom called. She's worried sick, but I told her you're okay.” He handed the phone to Minseok. “Give her a call.”

 

Minseok hesitated a moment, as his lips pursed. He then stood up after a short moment and gave their manager a bow which Baekhyun followed before they exited the room.

 

“I'll just call mom. You go on ahead.” Minseok raised the hand holding his phone, as he cracked a small smile.

 

Baekhyun wanted to stay with him, but when it comes to family, they really couldn't meddle carelessly. They're indeed a team, but they still had to respect each others’ boundaries.

 

“Okay, hyung. I'll be waiting in your room. What's it's passcode?”

 

But that doesn't mean Baekhyun would stop.

 

Minseok was visibly taken aback, as he swallowed. “Baekhyun are you alright?” He cautiously asked.

 

Baek gathered a lungful of air and released them afterwards. “Yes, but I still have a question that only you can answer, so please just once, okay?” He leaned towards his hyung, eyelids fluttering rapidly which caused a groan from Minseok.

 

“Right.” The elder rolled his eyes. “Six-twenty six-zero-three. Don't break anything and sleep on the couch.” He raised a finger as he quickly turned away from Baekhyun and took a step forward.

 

His irises shaking, Baekhyun's lips curved upwards as he pumped a fist in the air. “Got it, Xiumin-ssi!” Baekhyun spun on his heels and headed straight towards their quarters, a smile plastered on his face. Minseok turned back and saw Baek’s retreating figure, as he couldn't stop himself from smiling, shaking his head at the silliness of his co-member.

 

From the far side of the hallway, a lone figure stood up in front of Baekhyun's door, as Baek perked up and picked up speed. It was Junmyeon, who turned around to meet Baekhyun.

 

“Hyung, what brings you here?” Baekhyun casually asked, as he placed a hand inside his pocket.

 

Junmyeon cracked a half of a smile. “I came to talk.”

 

“Hmm? Oh, okay. Can we just do it here?” Baekhyun smiled sheepishly. A talk with Junmyeon had always been about serious things, especially that he gave an effort to come at that hour. He had to brace himself.

 

Junmyeon was wearing his blue overalls, with a pair of white bunny slippers. Baek wanted to comment something about it, but he'd probably just keep it for now or it would backfire at him.

 

“What's with you and Minseok-hyung?”

 

That question made Baekhyun's heart jump up to his throat, as he desperately tried to get air, in which Junmyeon slightly panicked at. “S-sorry, are you alright?”

 

Baekhyun held his knees, as he turned up. “Wha-what do you mean?” His eyes shaking, he squinted at Suho, feeling his heart about to explode.

 

Junmyeon shook his head faintly. “We just heard from Lay about what happened last night… You know?” Suho awkwardly scratched the back of his neck.

 

God, kill me. Baekhyun bit his bottom lip hard, as he closed his eyes, feeling the embarrassment. He couldn't believe that everyone already knew about it. Did that mean that even Minseok knew? If so, why would he agree to let him sleep in his room? Baekhyun's remaining brain cells tried to find any reason or answers to the questions he had.

 

The younger one giggled uncomfortably. “Heh… So you know.” He looked down at his feet. “I-I didn't mean to do it! I-we were drunk, hyung!” Baekhyun protested, his voice cracking.

 

Junmyeon smiled softly at Baekhyun, as he placed a hand on his shoulder. “You don't have to say it if you're uncomfortable. I just… want to know, as your leader.”

 

Baek’s face twisted into a cringe, until it turned into a sullen look. “Suho-hyung… I…”

 

Junmyeon's eyes were full of anticipation.

 

“I think I like Minseok-hyung.”