That Incident

"That" Night

“They did what?!” Everyone in the living room exclaimed except the storyteller, Yixing.

 

The Chinese member nodded slowly, almost not minding the expressions of his co-members. “Shouldn't you all know it by now?” He asked them, shoulders lifting up once.

 

“What should we know?” Sehun was just as puzzled as the rest.

 

“I'm frequently in China, you guys are always seeing each other. You should have observed how close Umin-hyung and Baekhyun-ah are.”

 

Suho pursed his lips. “Yeah, they're close but we'd never thought that they are… you know.” Junmyeon chuckled awkwardly. “That close.”

 

“They're close, alright.” Kyungsoo muttered.

 

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol turned to Kyungsoo, a brow raised in genuine curiosity.

 

Kyungsoo straightened up a bit, raising his head. “Lately, Baekhyun had been acting so weird around Minseok-hyung that he'd ask what's his favorite book when we all know Baekhyun never reads. He goes doing whatever hyung likes to do as well. It's bugging me.”

 

“Oh, I have a story.” All eyes turned to Chanyeol. “When Baekhyunnie and I were playing PUBG, he changed his username to 'Minseokie’. I asked him why and he just said that it was hyung’s day. That wasn't March 26th, though”. Chanyeol shrugged.

 

Sehun raised his hand, gathering all his hyungs’ attentions. “One day when the three of us were sharing a car, Minseok-hyung went in first and I followed. Suddenly, Baekhyun-hyung grabbed me by the arm and insisted that he should sit beside Minseok-hyung. So I did. Baekhyun-hyung just annoyed him and ended up sleeping on Minseok-hyung’s shoulder.” The maknae nodded and raised both of his eyebrows.

 

The reactions from the present members were a bit indifferent. Junmyeon decided to speak up first.

 

“We know Baekhyun is clingy. Perhaps, these are all…”

 

“I don't think so.” Yixing cut off. “I couldn't know about what's going on their minds but I'm telling you all; there is something.”

 

The words Lay spoke off were left lingering in the air that the members could almost hear echoing in their minds simultaneously. They didn't want to judge their co-members but they couldn't also hide the fact that Yixing might be right.

 

“What something?”

 

As if they all saw a ghost, the members snapped their heads to the direction of the origin of the voice. It was from none other that their eldest hyung, who was holding his intense stare at each of them, especially Lay.

 

Yixing wasn't faltered as he just stared back. “Nothing, hyung.” He managed to say.

 

Minseok raised a questioning eyebrow, totally not buying the excuse.

 

“It's nothing to worry about, hyung.” Junmyeon forced a smile and prompted the rest to do the same. It wasn't convincing, but Minseok just sighed and gave up.

 

“You all get ready. You know we have a flight after two hours.” Minseok almost sounded annoyed, but he tried to be calm, despite feeling uneasy. He also had a migraine to deal with and stress was at the least.

 

The members nodded and scattered about, going into their rooms. Minseok felt like this day would really be a long one and he was tired already.

 

---------

 

As the entire EXO were in the airport, sea of fans welcomed them as always, with cameras flashing almost at every millisecond. Baekhyun lowered the tip of his cap, as the lights were far too bright for his liking. He was still feeling the tint of hangover and he probably looked tired and sleepy. He only hoped that the fans wouldn't notice or worry about it. They tend to overreact.

 

As he took the path across Incheon Airport led by their guards, his eyes would frequently land on Minseok’s back. He would sometimes see the side of his face, but he was too hidden for him to see his hyung clearly. After what Jongdae said, he couldn't face his hyung. He couldn't even bear the thought of having a short eye contact with him.

 

Baekhyun's heart thumped loudly when it was time for Minseok to take off his mask. With his lips bare, Baek couldn't hide his obvious reaction to it, as he stepped back and bumped at Jongin. “Oof, sorry, Kai. Missed a step,” he laughed it off, hoping that Jongin would ignore.

 

“Are you okay, hyung?” Kai whispered, as it was Baek’s turn to take off his mask.

 

“Yeah, don't worry”. Baek threw a short glance at Kai and cracked a smile, hoping that Jongin would let it off. Thankfully, he did as they all passed the security.

 

Baekhyun didn't try to scan the crowd for Minseok again. As they walked towards the plane, he only hoped that they weren't seatmates or Baek would just jump off of the plane.

 

Fortunately, his seatmate was Junmyeon and Minseok’s was Chanyeol. However, Baekhyun’s seat was only a meter far from Minseok’s and the only thing that separated them was the alleyway. By now, Baek had planned to sleep all throughout the trip. He was far too stressed on thinking about what happened last night. He was also seriously wishing that his hyung didn't remember anything about it so they could live in peace.

 

Everyone was quiet during the trip. It was usually like that because it was their only time to take a good rest. Baekhyun would usually walk around and play with the others but he was not in the mood for that. Junmyeon would have noticed immediately and Baek had to feign sleep again.

 

“Baekhyun, are you alright?” Junmyeon softly asked.

 

Baek wouldn't respond so that Suho would think he was asleep, which somehow worked.

 

After a few minutes of silence, Baek heard Chanyeol’s noticeable footsteps clanking around, as if he was in a hurry. He faintly opened his eyes and saw Chanyeol talking to their manager. He closed his eyes when he came back to his seat.

 

“Why?” He heard Junmyeon ask.

 

“Minseok-hyung’s headache.” Chanyeol replied.

 

Baekhyun subtly opened his eyes to take a look at his hyung, who just gulped water. He saw him mouthed 'thank you’ to Chanyeol and went back leaning on his seat, his forehead wrinkled.

 

Baekhyun was seriously worried and he wanted to ask just that but he was far too embarrassed. Knowing himself, he'd just be flushed and stutter.

 

“Hyung, are you feeling okay?” Suho asked and Baekhyun could not thank him enough for that.

 

“Mhmhm. I'll be fine.” Minseok muttered and the answer wasn't enough to please any of them. Baekhyun couldn't take it, as he opened his eyes.

 

“You sure? You look pale.” Chanyeol visibly flinched by Baekhyun’s sudden remark.

 

“Shh.” Minseok furrowed his brows and adjusted his position. “I need silence. Please.”

 

Baekhyun pursed his lips, as he leaned on his seat, still looking at his hyung worriedly.

 

“I thought you were asleep.” Junmyeon said from his side, as Baek shushed him.

 

Silence, hyung.”

 

----------

 

They finally reached their destination, as Baekhyun inhaled the fresh foreign air. As usual, people were flocking around them as they were led to their vehicles. After a few minutes, they reached their hotel and were told to prepare for the concert rehearsals. They had some time for rest, though and some time for eating. It wasn't long, but surely, it was enough for their busy schedule.

 

Baekhyun hadn't heard from the other members, so he'd go to their rooms to check on them. Beside his room was Sehun’s room, which was also beside Minseok’s. He decided to go to Sehun’s room first, since he would also know their hyung’s condition as he was in the same car.

 

Knocking on Sehun’s door, Baekhyun kept looking at the other room rather uneasily. He was worried. Minseok’s headaches were usually the worst and his weakness. Minseok was rarely sick, but when he did, it was always about his head.

 

After a few seconds, Sehun opened the door for him. “Have you seen Minseok-hyung?”

 

“Yes, a while ago and I believe he's on the other room.” Sehun answered plainly.

 

“Yeah, I know. I meant, is he okay?” Baekhyun asked, tilting his head a bit which had been his habit.

 

Sehun trailed off for a while. “He's not saying how he really feels but I know he's not.”

 

Both of them sighed at the same time, as if they were used to their hyung’s behavior.

 

“Someday we'd just find him passing out. Seriously, he's too stubborn.” Baekhyun furrowed his brows as he let out another sigh.

 

“Yeah”.

 

The neighboring door opened gently, as Minseok came out from it. Baekhyun didn't know if he should climb the ceiling or cling to Sehun. He just screeched and heaved, with Sehun staring at him with disbelief.

 

Minseok didn't seem to notice the two as he continued to walk through the hallways.

 

“Where's he going?” Sehun voiced both of their questions.

 

Baekhyun eyed him suspiciously, as he and Sehun decided to just leave him alone or they'd get a good scolding. It was never a good idea to annoy Minseok when he had headaches. He turns into a really scary hyung they didn't want to deal with.

 

---------

 

The concert finally started as Minseok was visibly keeping his distance from the members. He didn't want to worry them, nor burden them. He just decided to keep it himself and endure until the performance was over. At least he hoped that he could.

 

Minseok was known to have a high alcohol tolerance. That was indeed the truth, but his hangover was also the worst. He didn't have the time to eat the foods that were supposed to ail it and all he had were pain relievers. However, it wasn't just a hangover now. It was his migraine attacking yet again and this was the worst this year. It was affecting his performance and he hated that. However, he couldn't pass the concert, or else it would be a great bother to the group, so he really had no choice.

 

As he performed, everything was still fine. He could still do the moves with energy and precision, despite the lightings that were making it worse. He'd just close his eyes frequently and hoped that he won't bump into anyone and ruin their performance.

 

Thankfully, no one among the members were bothering him. He knew that they were all looking at him whenever they were at the backstage, but he'd throw them glares to keep distance. A few more hours, he could do this.

 

The first encore started and Minseok could feel his hands trembling already. He still tried to pull off a smile, he didn't want to disappoint the fans. He had to hide his pain and show an okay version of him.

 

Minseok quickly passed the mic onto Baekhyun and didn't say anything more aside his greeting and introduction. He could feel the fans’ disappointment but he couldn't help it. The camera was focused on him and he could twist in pain anytime. He didn't want them to see that.

 

After a few exchange of words, the second half of the concert was performed. His moves were getting even more sluggish and Jongin would constantly tap his toe against his to get his attention. Minseok would just nod and go on.

 

During the short break, Baekhyun approached him. Minseok didn't have the strength to look at him in the eyes as he just bowed and bear the pain.

 

“Hyung, you can just rest and let us take care of the rest. It's almost over anyway. Please,” Baekhyun tugged his shirt, as Junmyeon approached them.

 

“Hyung, I don't think you can do it. Take a break now.” Suho calmly said, putting a hand on his back, which he harshly shook off.

 

“No, I can…” He shut his eyes tightly. “...I can do this. Just a little longer.”

 

“But hyung-”

 

“Baekhyun, please. I have to do this. Eries are waiting.” Minseok winced faintly.

 

Junmyeon and Baekhyun took their steps back with that.

 

The concert resumed and they all continued with the performance. The portion required a lot of energy but Minseok had nothing left. Everything was just a blur in his eyes all of a sudden. The music was only some kind of noise for him and the screams were almost muffled. He'd reached his limit.

 

Baekhyun was always looking at where Minseok was. His energy was obviously not there, he was just bouncing relentlessly and almost pointlessly, even if it wasn't the time to. It was his hyung’s part to sing after him, but instead of his voice, they heard the ominous mic drop and the collective gasps of the audience.

 

The members stopped singing, as the music was abruptly cut short. Baekhyun turned back to where Minseok was and there they saw him, losing his balance as his eyes rolled at the back of his head before crashing to the stage. They simultaneously ran towards him, with Baekhyun being the fastest to reach him.

 

The lights were turned off as the audience sounded like they were crying. Some were screaming frantically until it ended up into a collection of various noise.

 

The emergency medical team appeared shortly and brought Minseok. Baekhyun was on the verge of crying once he heard Jongin’s and Chanyeol’s sniffings.

 

“I knew this would happen.” Jongin muttered.

 

Baekhyun just stared blankly, until they were told to go backstage for the staff to explain the situation.

 

The members sat quietly in the waiting room, as if everyone had the same thought running in their minds.

 

“This is stupid.” Baekhyun slammed his arm on the table as he stood up, his eyes sharp. “We told him to stop. We told him to just say it if there was something wrong and yet, he pushed himself like this.” Baekhyun rolled his eyes and paced back and forth.

 

“I can't just wait here.” Baekhyun headed to the exit but before he could open the door, he was stopped by Jongdae.

 

“Think about Minseok-hyung’s feelings, Baekhyun. He wants to perform. He has to, it's what he wants.”

 

Baekhyun clicked his tongue. “Ah, so sacrificing yourself to the brink of death is a good idea because he wants to.” He pulled out from Chen’s grip and frowned deeply. “Nice analyzation. Let's might as well do the same so we can end this as soon as possible.”

 

“Baekhyun, that's not what we meant.” Suho stood up.

 

“Then what? What's more into it? Neglect our health and just die on stage?”

 

Junmyeon sighed. “Understand him. Sympathize. It's wrong of him to hide and be stubborn, but we can't say he did the wrong choice.”

 

“Passing out like that is the right choice?” Baekhyun let out a sarcastic chuckle.

 

Yixing stood up and placed a hand on Baek's shoulder. “I know you're worried, but we can't really blame hyung. He did what he thought was right, let's just do better next time.”

 

Baekhyun raised his glare up to Yixing. “Tell me, am I the only one who's actually worried of Minseok?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then why are you all defending his stupid decision!? It's not like he is the only one suffering, all of us! He didn't have to be selfish like this and…” A tear escaping his eye, he would continue, “... hide everything from us.” He bit his bottom lip, as tears started to pool in his eyes.

 

Yixing tapped his shoulder once. “Just try to understand his part, Baekhyun. I'm sure he has a reason.”

 

“Whatever that is, it's horridly foolish.” Baek closed his eyes.

 

A knock was then heard as a voice from the outside told them to once again step on the stage and continue without Minseok. It stung Baek's heart to hear that and he wasn't sure if he could ever face the thousands who were also as worried as he was.

 

Screams of anticipation welcomed the members again, as they started to chant Minseok’s name. The members tried hard to suppress their emotions and face them.

 

“We're going to continue without Minseok-hyung. I hope you all understand.” Suho said into the mic, covering whatever dejection was behind his voice.

 

The audience expressed their sadness through collective sighs. Baekhyun eyed the nearest people from them and all he could see were their crying faces. He couldn't bear to see it, and he knew he had to say something.

 

“Worry not, Eri-ya! Minseok-hyung is gonna be fine!” He smiled despite wanting to break down right there. They still had to finish the show.