let's make this work

the only love i've ever known

sooyoung’s about to go to sleep when she manages to catch soft knocks on her door. she glances over at the clock. it’s 2am, who in the right mind would be bothering her at this devilish hour? closing her eyes, sooyoung ignores the knocking, hoping that the person would take a hint and come back later.

 

the knocking doesn’t stop to her dismay. sooyoung groggily gets up and makes her way to the door, preparing herself to give the disturber a little piece of her mind.

 

“what do you want-“

 

jinsoul drops her duffel bag and immediately starts crying into sooyoung’s shoulder.

 

suddenly all her initial anger and annoyance were forgotten as she worried for the blonde who was crying uncontrollably and sooyoung is pretty sure jinsoul’s tight hold was going to suffocate her soon enough but she doesn’t say anything.

 

the two stand at the door as jinsoul’s sobs subside. thank god none of sooyoung’s neighbours were awake to witness this scene. jinsoul slowly removed herself from sooyoung as the taller girl motioned for jinsoul to come in.

 

“i’m sorry... your shirt is... yea...” jinsoul sheepishly says as she looks at sooyoung.

 

“screw the shirt, tell me who do i have to fight? who’s making you cry this badly? soul, i’ve never seen you like this.” sooyoung reaches out for jinsoul’s hands. the two had known each other for years and even though they always bickered and clowned each other till no end, one thing sooyoung could not stand was to see jinsoul cry. jinsoul had always been a little softie at heart which made her an easy target for bullies and sooyoung had taken it upon herself to protect the blonde.

 

“i told jungeun that i needed space to think… sooyoung, she’s been lying to me and i don’t understand why...” jinsoul starts crying again and all sooyoung can do is let her cry it all out. eventually jinsoul falls asleep with jungeun’s plushie clenched tightly.


 

it takes jiwoo barely 10 minutes to get to jinsoul’s apartment. knowing her two friends never had the habit of locking their door, she doesn’t even bother to knock before entering. she pushes the door open in a rush and finds jungeun curled up on the floor, next to the couch.

 

“jungeun...”

 

jungeun lifts her head slowly to look at jiwoo, acknowledging the girl’s presence. her face was tear stricken and her eyes swollen. she puts in all her effort to offer jiwoo what she could afford of a smile.

 

it pained jiwoo to see her best friend like this. jungeun was never one for tears. the only time jiwoo had ever seen jungeun cry was when jungeun’s grandmother had passed on and that was ten years ago. jungeun was always so calm and composed in front of everybody that her current breakdown left jiwoo at a complete loss.

 

“i told her i loved her and she asked me if i really did. hearing that physically hurt me, jiwoo, it really did. i love her so goddamn much it scares me you know? i’m such a jerk, i made her leave. i promised myself to always make her happy but instead i made her cry. jiwoo, i messed up real bad.”

 

jungeun barely finishes rambling before she starts bawling even harder than she did before jiwoo came. jiwoo squats down and wraps her arms around jungeun, letting her best friend cry into her embrace. jungeun’s tears were staining her favourite shirt but that didn’t matter now. she stays silent and slowly pats jungeun’s back to soothe her. jiwoo could only do so much to try and ease her best friend’s sorrow. the room is filled with jungeun’s quiet sniffles as she calms down thanks to jiwoo.

 

the silence is soon broken as the door of the apartment slams right open revealing an enraged sooyoung behind it. the two girls look up in shock, not expecting the surprise visit. jungeun quickly wiped off her tears as jiwoo took a defensive stance in front of jungeun knowing how aggressive an angry sooyoung could be.

 

“jungeun, i don’t know what has gotten into you but you should know clearly well that jinsoul deserves none of the bull that you put her through these past two months.”

 

“sooyoung, please, not right now. jungeun’s having it tough too.”

 

jiwoo reaches behind to hold onto jungeun’s hands. sooyoung scoffs.

 

“she’s having it tough? last time i checked, jungeun wasn’t the one being lied to! jinsoul trusted you, jungeun. all those nights she waited for you until she fell asleep alone by herself, disappointed you weren’t there but assured that you would be next to her in the morning. even then you would be too busy to talk to her but jinsoul understood you were tired so she just kept it in because she loved you so much. you kept her waiting so long for her to find out she’s been played like a fool? what did jinsoul ever do to you? even now she’s still hugging that damn plushie you gave her because it reminds her of you and she can’t go to sleep without it. kim jungeun, you don’t deserve jinsoul.”

 

“don’t you say that to jungeun. jinsoul’s your best friend but jungeun’s my best friend and you know as well as i do how much jungeun loves jinsoul.”

 

jiwoo shouts at her girlfriend, shocking both girls in the room. sooyoung stares blankly at jiwoo. never had jiwoo raised her voice at sooyoung in their relationship or to anyone for that matter. sooyoung didn’t understand- no, she couldn’t understand how jiwoo was still defending jungeun.

 

“no, jiwoo. sooyoung’s right. i don’t deserve jinsoul.”

 

jungeun’s tears flow down her cheeks uncontrollably. although this is the third time she’s cried this hour, it only hurt more and more each time.

 

“why are you the one crying when you’re the cause of this whole mess?”

 

“well maybe the reason why jungeun’s crying so hard right now because she DOESN’T want to lose jinsoul especially since the reason she decided to get a job was to save money to buy a ring and PROPOSE on their anniversary.”

 

sooyoung shuts up immediately after jiwoo’s outburst, she didn’t expect that at all.

 

“wait, what? you were going to ask jinsoul to marry you...?” sooyoung quietly asked, eyes looking straight at jungeun who just nodded.

 

“then why didn’t you just tell jinsoul the truth?”

 

“it’s kinda supposed to be a surprise you know. you don’t tell someone you’re going to surprise them right? and i worked really really hard for it so i still want to do it but now i’ve hurt her too much and-“

 

sooyoung walks over to jungeun and hushes her. jiwoo makes space for sooyoung as the older girl gives jungeun a tight hug.

 

“look this is so bipolar but i’m sorry for going off on you just now, that was downright rude and mean of me. jinsoul’s my best friend but you’re really important to me too. i should have listened to your explanation first, i’m really sorry.”

 

sooyoung puts her hands on jungeun’s shoulders and lowers her head so that they’re looking at each other.

 

“your anniversary’s in 4 days right? we need to start preparing because operation propoSOUL is a go.”

 

jiwoo bursts into laughter as jungeun widens her eyes in confusion at sooyoung.

 

“proposoul? really? but jinsoul...”

 

“trust me, jinsoul loves you too damn much to just break up with you like that. there’s no one better than you for jinsoul, whatever i said just now was out of anger and i didn’t mean it. so stop crying you look terrible, we’ll do our best to help alright?”

 

jiwoo lets out a loud hooray as jungeun smiles genuinely for the first time.

 

maybe everything will work out in the end…

 

 

 

 


A/N: y'all must have thought i dieded or sumn but nah sis i'm still here!

i've had this chapter rewritten so many times since september last year.. there was supposed to be another chapter before this but i felt like this should go first instead... so next chapter things might start looking up...? or will it hurt? i don't really know tbh but we'll see ;) 

and as usual, i'm really just writing to imrpove myself so i'm sorry if this , really do appreciate any constructive criticisms! but if you do like it or whatever, just comment your reactions !! i really love reading what y'all have to say heh 

anyway i'm off now, hyerim fans can check out my lil one-shot if you'd like :) 

so yea till next time,,,, hopefully soon uwu