The Velvet to Her Red

Unniedul, Saranghae! ❤ -- Discontinued --

Chapter 34

 

"So... the one you told us about having the berserker potential is... Sana?"

Tiffany heaves a sigh and nods, eyes glancing away from Yoona to look over the window. Sana is having a play-fight with her own aura, who is now able to completely detach itself from the anaconda's body to assist her in practice and in fights. The younger Anihuman looks so happy to play along her mischievous aura, running around and jumping while exchanging punches at times.

"She was... yes," says the snow leopard softly. Yoona slides beside her, watching her student practicing. "Not anymore now, I'm surprised that Pinky does not end up like... you know. Thank you, Yoong, for shaping her like this."

"I did nothing, really," Yoona shakes her head. "She did everything on her own. I heard from Chaeyoung that Sana stays up late every night to talk privately with Pinky. I suppose they grow an understanding over each other from that."

The older woman nods, then giggles when Sana trips on her own feet. "Is she okay with us calling her new friend Pinky? She seemed rather annoyed when we first started calling Pinky... Pinky."

This gets Yoona to giggle, the snake shaking her head and Tiffany sighs in relief. "No problemo! It seems like Pinky likes that name so Sana has to give up. They love each other already, I swear. It's really great to see them improving every day."

A flash of blue in the sky catches their attention. Tiffany looks up, eyes squinting, then smiles when she sees the trail of flight between the clouds. She hears Yoona whistles beside her and the black-haired woman turns.

"Today is Momo's and Taeyeon-unnie's first day of personal training, eh?" Yoona says, more of a statement than a question. Tiffany still nods, though, confirming Yoona's sentence. The snake breathes out once. "So I guess that leaves Jihyo-ah with the three idiots? I hope nothing weird will happen to them."

"I hope so, too."

The younger Anihuman tilts her head when she hears the doubt in Tiffany's tone. "What's wrong, unnie?"

Tiffany shakes her head. "No, it's nothing. "

Knowing that her friend doesn't want to elaborate further, Yoona hums, opting to avert her attention back to Sana. She kind of have a clue about what Tiffany is worried about, but she decides to let them slide.

For now.

###

If her friends are all fighting, sharpening their claws and fangs and talons, Dahyun has to accept the reality that she's stuck in the library with thousands of books laid in front of her. It's probably the 1000th sigh she lets out today as she flips the pages of the thick medical book given by Sunny, bored. The red panda herself is currently bustling around the library, reading and finding other books for both herself and Dahyun.

"Unnie."

Sunny acknowledges Dahyun with a hum.

The kangaroo drapes herself on the table, groaning. "Unnie, shouldn't we do anything else? Like... I don't know. How to heal with my aura or something like that."

A string of laughter could be heard from somewhere behind the bookshelf, prompting Dahyun to roll her eyes in annoyance. Sunny does not respond more after that, so Dahyun decides to return to her book no matter how boring it is.

At least, until a hand tap her on her shoulder.

"You know, Dahyunnie?"

Dahyun whips her head so fast her neck hurts, but there's no one behind her.

"Why I told you to read more?"

Sunny's voice echoes from everywhere, but also from nowhere at the same time because the red panda has vanished into thin air, making Dahyun feels as if Sunny's all over the room. The younger Anihuman stands up, alarmed by Sunny's disappearance. But she keeps her ground because she knows that Sunny is still here somewhere.

"You already have a really good control of your power. Problem is, you heal however you want. You should learn more about anatomy and the likes so you can return a broken body to how it was before and not making an... abomination."

Dahyun turns, her stance alert as her mentor's voice keeps on moving all around her.

"Though I guess you're feeling a bit bored today, so maybe we could spice things up a little."

Grinning in excitement, Dahyun nods hurriedly to no one in general. "I would love to, unnie! Please tell me what to do!"

"We, healers, are always the one most vulnerable yet also the most hunted in battles," Sunny's voice sounds so near and so clear Dahyun turns again. But two hands clasp above her eyes jus as she turns, rendering her unable to see. "We are the weakest out of everyone, and if we are to be defeated, our friends wouldn't be able to get help if they get hurt."

When the hands covering her eyes retract, Dahyun twirls on her feet only to find emptiness.

"That's why us healers are required to do one tiny thing. A mastery of this ability will be crucial for your survival in the battlegrounds."

With her eyes flitting everywhere and ears perking up, Dahyun tries to find Sunny's presence, yet the only thing she could sense is Sunny's reverberating voice. "And... that is?"

"Shadow walking."

Dahyun doesn't know when and how, but she averts her attention for less than one second and Sunny is already standing in front of her. The younger of the two gives the older a wide smile.

"Then teach me how to shadow walk."

"Oh, I will," Sunny smiles, a mysterious, secretive smile that sends Dahyun vibrating in anticipation. "But you have to catch me first."

Dahyun blinks, and Sunny vanishes.

"Fine, then, unnie," orange flame her skin, Dahyun flashes a grin and takes a deep breath. "Be prepared to get caught!"

###

Taeyeon-unnie is a

Seungwan thoughts as she looks up to the sky, finding a blaze of blue fire between all the clouds. Sighing, the Kirin then shifts her gaze to her left, where she sees Jihyo crouching on the ground with Joy talking animatedly and Yeri cheering beside them in the middle of the clearing. Seungwan clicks her tongue and returns her attention to the small sketchbook on her lap. She had sketched some things on the book, mostly scribbles about training plans and points she had noticed to help improve Jihyo's performance in battles.

Mind blank, Seungwan starts to sketch another picture. The shades of the trees above provide enough shelter for her to be able to see clearly and not being blinded by the harsh sun. Her pen makes faint scratching noises as she continues putting lines on the previously empty page.

Being too occupied with her drawing, Seungwan doesn't notice a figure approaching her. Only when a hand snatches her sketchbook does Seungwan snarl in surprise.

"Unnie," Yeri addresses her with a pointed stare. "Control."

Seungwan blinks, realizing what Yeri meant by that when she sees the small crackles of electricity surrounding her. She shakes her head twice and breathes out in relief when the electricity dies down.

Just in time.

Joy flops down beside her and Jihyo sits on the fallen bark near hers, the latter staring at the sketchbook in Yeri's possession with interest. Yeri seems to notice Jihyo's new attraction and she gives the small sketchbook to the excited Phoenix.

Seungwan clears . "So... what were you guys doing before this?"

"Oh, nothing unusual," Jihyo answers lightly. She's focusing on the sketches Seungwan made and smiles when she sees sketches of herself. "Aside from armoring myself, I've been able to perform the trick to two people now. I've been practicing with Yeri and Joy, after all."

The Phoenix then looks up, staring puzzledly at Seungwan who keeps her gaze level. "Why don't you join us, Seungwan-sshi? I think I might be able to practice performing it to three people if you join."

"Ah, that," Seungwan shakes her head. "Maybe later. Just focus on your training right now. I'll step in soon enough."

"Oh, okay," returning to the sketchbook, Jihyo busies herself flipping the pages and admiring Seungwan's work.

She's not aware of the three pairs of eyes staring at her in amusement. Yeri is just full on mesmerized by how Jihyo seems so into Seungwan sketches, which (she thinks) are too abstract for her to comprehend. Joy enjoys everything so she just likes watching Jihyo and taking notice of every little happy smile she wears whenever she sees something resembling her.

While Seungwan is half staring half daydreaming, not really giving her attention to the younger Anihuman. At least, until Jihyo points at one of the pictures.

"This one is a bit scary, Seungwan-sshi."

Seungwan almost couldn't hide her gasp when she sees the object Jihyo is pointing at. It's just a rough sketch, doesn't even have a concrete shape aside from the pair of hollow eyes between all the black ink. It's a sketch of an animal's head, similar to a wolf's with a wide, eerie smirk, triangle shapes representing its fangs filling the space between the jaws.

Jihyo looks up, not quite noticing the shaken expression Seungwan is wearing. She gives the Kirin a smile as she closes the book and returns it. "Your drawing is so pretty!"

"T-thanks," Seungwan croaks out an answer, taking her sketchbook back. "I don't think it's as good as you make it be, though."

"You have room to improve, but it's still very good," the Phoenix flashes a smile and Seungwan blushes, hiding her face behind her bangs.

"Thank you..."

Their resting time lasts for about ten minutes more until Joy announces that the training will continue. Jihyo sighs, still wanting to rest for another few minutes but standing up nonetheless, pulling Yeri to her feet. The trio asks Seungwan again to join but the Kirin simply smiles, ushering them to leave her alone much to Jihyo's disappointment.

Watching the three continuing their training is amusing, so Seungwan settles to rest again on the tree silently observing them. Jihyo had improved a lot, she notices, the Phoenix easily slipping into the Soul Plane and puts her power to good use. It needs her no more than thirty seconds to set Joy and Yeri on fire now; not quite literally.

Deciding that the other three are occupied enough with themselves, Seungwan closes her eyes and focuses.

Darkness greets her when she opens her eyes, sharp blue shining as she looks around. She finds Jihyo's red semblance standing not far from her own golden, near Joy's green and Yeri's purple semblance, with red tainting the center of their heart. The girl takes a deep breath as she slowly guides her power to hide before the three could notice her.

Seungwan turns after she's sure that they won't see her.

"Hey."

Nothing answers her.

The Kirin clears , long tail swishing in annoyance.

"This is seriously not a proper time to do that."

Still nothing, but Seungwan continues.

"I get it. I get what makes you interested. But we've promised not to hurt a friend."

"You mean you promised."

A cackle echoes in the dark, followed by two shining silver eyes appearing somewhere within the plane.

"I've never promised such things."

A figure slithers near, of a beast almost identical to her. The only difference between the two is on their colors.

Seungwan snarls. "Don't touch her. You dare touch her and it's going to be the end for you."

"Oh, is nice little Seungwan now trying to threaten me?" the figure barks out a laughter again before it growls. "You think you'll be able to survive without me?"

Seungwan does not move, only keeping her eyes on the beast as it circles her. The Kirin growls back when the beast pulls its lips back to form a smirk. "Well, think again."

She might be a lightning manipulator, that Seungwan is, but she couldn't anticipate when the beast leaps at her in lightning speed. One second and she finds herself pinned to the ground by the beast, sharp claws digging to her shoulders and a mouthful of fangs wide open right in front of her face. She struggles to free herself from the beast's hold only for it to press its other paw to her neck.

The beast hisses as it talks to her. "Don't act as if you're innocent the whole time we're doing this. My desire is yours also, and it's always you who take the most, who use the most."

Seungwan coughs when the beast presses harder. "W-what you do is... is wrong!"

"Tell that to my ," the beast smirks, giving zero to none care when Seungwan starts to wheeze. "Once I get her, you'll thank me. I've seen more than what you know. Just wait and we'll see if you beg for me to give when I'm done with everything."

With a final laugh, the beast lets Seungwan go and leaps into the darkness.

The next moment Seungwan opens her eyes, she's back under the shades of the tree in the training field. She raises her hand to her neck which is still hurting after being choked by the beast. Heaving a sigh, Seungwan casts a glance to the other three girls, seemingly not noticing anything wrong with her as they are still happily prancing around the clearing.

Seungwan opens the sketchbook on her lap. The picture Jihyo had pointed at earlier looks like it's staring at her, with its hollow, silver eyes boring deep into her soul.

Closing her eyes, Seungwan leans back to the bark and bites back a hiss.

"Just what are you planning now... Wendy?"

.

.

.

.

.

"Guess a visit wouldn't hurt."

.

.

.

Golden eyes snap open in surprise, Jihyo looks around her to find herself inside the Soul Plane. It's pitch dark, and she can't remember how does she exactly enters the realm, but she's sure that she was sleeping before she wakes up here. A shiver goes through her as her mind races to determine how the hell does she ends up here out of all place.

She's not alone.

Jihyo blinks when she finds a figure standing not far away from her. It might be dark, but this... thing is definitely darker, as Jihyo could still make up its form despite it blending with the background.

"Hello."

She thinks she recognizes that voice from somewhere.

"It's been a while."

Then the figure's eyes open, showing a pair of glowing, menacing silver eyes that instantly steal all power from Jihyo's body.

"I've been watching you lately, Park."

The silver-eyed creature moves, sending chills all over Jihyo's body. She finds herself feeling weaker and weaker as the creature walks closer. The restriction of the soul realm makes Jihyo only able to see its aura, which is pitch black its almost unseen. But now that it's close enough, Jihyo could make out its figure more clearly.

It's a beast, or at least, it looks like one. It stands on all four with a long tail dragged behind it. At the center of its chest is a shining ball of a mix of silver, golden and blue Jihyo has little memories of.

"I'm so very thrilled to see what you have become."

Resounds a satisfied purr when the beast circles her, shining silver eyes watching her with interest. A swipe of the tail on her feet makes Jihyo stiffens further. The beast then laughs, amused, entertained by the way she's as tense as a statue.

"Such power. Such uniqueness. I couldn't wait to see you fully grown."

The beast is now breathing on her neck, one paw touching her chest with its claws scraping her semblance.

"Because it would be so exciting to take you when you've reached your peak."

The low, maniacal laughter echoing in the empty plane almost makes Jihyo breaks down in tears. But then the beast presses its snout against the pulse in her neck, letting Jihyo feels the way it smiles, so closely it's almost real.

"The ancient fire. Phoenix. I couldn't wait to know how you taste like."

The Phoenix falls on her knees when the beast steps back. Fighting back the violent tremble shaking her body, Jihyo watches as the beast retreats, turning its back on her to walk into nothingness. Taking a very deep breath, Jihyo swallows and yells with every single courage she could muster.

"W-who are you?!"

The beast looks over its shoulder, its silver eyes hollow.

Jihyo gulps again, repeating her words with a smaller voice. "...w-who are you?"

Then, a smirk. A smirk so painfully familiar it almost makes Jihyo faints.

"I'm the Velvet to her Red," the beast speaks, voice low, harsh, its silver eyes glowing even brighter as the darkness grows thicker. "Shall the sun be obscured at her own throne in the sky, we'll meet again."

"!"

Jihyo wakes up with a jolt, a scream just behind which she forcefully swallows not to wake her friends. Her hand immediately flies to her chest where her heart beats erratically, trying to calm it down not to burst out of its cage. She's drenched with sweat, with fear, with the shining silver eyes still burned to the back of her mind.

Mina and Dahyun are still deep in their sleep beside her when she grips her head, sobbing silently with her body shaking.

That feeling of fear returns in full force, the fear she thought she had grown past is choking her with the realization that she will never be free. Jihyo subconsciously traces the three scars on the side of her jaw; claw marks that never heal no matter what she does.

A reminder.

It takes her approximately half an hour to calm down enough. The fear from before is still gripping her entire being, but she wills herself to rest as she knows she will be weary tomorrow if she gets no sleep. She keeps her eyes on Dahyun's peaceful sleeping face, slightly envying how carefree she is, then sighs as she takes Dahyun's hand between hers.

The Red Kangaroo mumbles a bit before she shifts, draping her arm over Jihyo's waist and buries her face to her chest. The gesture eases her so Jihyo closes her eyes again, trying to return to the comfort of sleep.

The nightmare that haunts her tonight consists of silver eyes, blue lightning and black hair that shines red under the touch of sunlight.

 

 

To be continued...