Hope is Nowhere ; Hope is Now/here

My First Love, My Greatest Pain (Under Construction.. Sorry for the inconvenience!)

Hyomin POV:

I could sort of picture how I entered the hospital. I burst through the doors ahead of Eunjung, who was trying to keep up with me, ran to the elavators and slammed the buttons before it finally headed up. The entire time we stood in elavator, all I could think about was if my father was okay or not.  Could this elavator go any slower? I could tell Eunjung was worried about me. The elavator doors opened and I rushed out, barely waiting for her. She quickened her pace for me and I was thankful for that. Where's the room? Where's my dad?? I couldn't stop worrying.

" Umma! " Eunjung called out to her mom as we rushed over to her.

" Eunjung! Hyomin! " She walked over, meeting and walking us to my dad's room.

" What happened? " She never told me the details of what caused my dad to come to the hospital. She had just told me to come to the Seoul Hospital quickly and the explaining would be done there.

" Your father just recently had a heart attack but he was brought to the hospital quick enough for the doctors to help him recover. Right now he's unconscious and his health is still weak. He hasn't responded or woken up yet. " 

" Do you think I could go inside yet? " I asked.

" Yes but he's still unconscious, " she said with a sad face. 

I nodded; Eunjung stayed with her mother as I made my way into the quiet room. My father layed there, heavily breathing. My eyes began to fill, blurring my vision. I blinked and my breaths became short. I could feel wetness rolling down my face. I quickly wiped them and held my father's motionless hands. 

" Appa... " I squeezed his hand a little, expecting him to squeez it back. No response. My vision started to get blurry again. Would he ever wake up? 

" You promised me you'd stay healthy... You promised me you wouldn't leave us after mom left... You promised me... You promised.. " My tears were falling again and I squeezed his hand harder. Suddenly, I felt like I was seven years old again. 

" There are so many things I haven't done for you yet, " I continued to talk to him.

My dad raised me and my brother by himself, all along while running an expanding company. He had always wanted me to continue the business along with my brother. When I told him I wanted to become a photographer, he supported me and just wanted me to be happy. He always asked me when I'd get my job as a photographer. He encouraged me when studying got difficult. I remembered him asking me if I'd ever get a husband and give him grandchildren. He wanted me to start my own family soon. There were so many things I hadn't done for him yet...

Tears kept falling from my eyes. He never responded for the rest of the day.

 

Three days had passed and my dad still hadn't woken up yet. Stress continued to build on me, hope was fading. Why hasn't he woken up yet? I became more depressed as each hour passed. I never left the hospital. Eunjung and her mother were right beside me. My brother had visited and stayed with us for a while but he soon had to leave to return to work. I always held my dad's hands to see if he'd ever respond. Another day was painfully going by and it was torture. 

Eunjung touched my shoulder and gave me a ' stay strong ' look. I nodded my thanks and she stood up, leaving the room to talk to her mom.

I was glad she stayed by my side in my hour of pain. I really loved her as my own sister. We had grown up with each other, just like sisters. Eunjung's mother had always brought her over while she worked with my dad and we would usually play silly child-fantasized games.

I sang old songs my mother use to sing to me and my brother when we were kids as I waited in the hospital for a response from my dad. I could just barely remember the lyrics but I'd hum the tune if I couldn't. As the fourth day was coming by, I suddenly felt movement in my hands. I was so surprised I stopped singing and held still, seeing if I had any more response. My dad's grip on me started to get a little more firm.

" Ameoni! " I turned to the door. She hurridly came in and gave me a questioning look. " He's responding! " 

She quickly called for a doctor and my dad was now squeezing my hand back. Happiness burst out of me and I held onto him, not daring to let go. Just one squeeze of his hand, after almost four days, and I believed that he would be up and healthy again! Hope had risen in me. My dad! He's back! He's back!