News

My First Love, My Greatest Pain (Under Construction.. Sorry for the inconvenience!)

Hyomin POV:

*BEEP BEEP, BEEP BEEP * My alarm clock blared into my ears.

" Err... " Light headed, I sat up and checked the time. " 7-7:17?!! "

Now panic-stricken, I jumped out of my bed and searched for the clothes I prepared ahead of time the night before. The interview was as at 7:35 a.m and I only had 18 minutes! I quickly applied my make up, hoping that it wouldn't sweat off.

" Now you get up? " Eunjung nagged at me while she was cooking breakfast.

"  What!? You never woke me up! " I replied, slipping my heels on as fast as I could. 

" Yes I did! I woke you up at seven, didn't you hear? And are you that late? Eat some breakfast first. " Still nagging me.

" Yeah, I'm late unnie! Thanks for the food! " I said while grabbing a waffle and sprinting out the door.

" Aigoo, that girl is always waking up late. Tsk tsk, " I heard her say as the door shut.

I ran to the car while eating my waffle and started the engine,

" Shoot! Where's my license?! " I panicked and ran back, entering the password as fast as I could. After busting through the door, I ran at full speed to my room, looking for my license and ignoring whatever Eunjung was asking me. I grabbed my wallet, ran back outside to the car and drove down the driveway as quickly as I could.

" 7:24 " I whispered in relief. The interview was in 11 minutes and I was only about 5 minutes away.

 

Finally arriving, I stepped into the building and glanced at my watch.

" 7:32 " I sighed. I walked to the lined-up chairs where all the other appliers waited to be called. I was the 37th.

Soon enough, my number was called and I stood up nervously.

" Number 37. Miss Park Hyomin-sshi. Number 37. " Confidently, I smiled and walked towards the door.

 

Finishing my interview, I felt relieved and proud. ' I think I'll get through. ' I exited the building and headed home.

8:00? Only 25 minutes?  ' I wondered why my interview was so short. I shook my head, trying to calm myself down. I prayed to get this job! This was my chance to finally get a professional job. My previous employments included waiting tables and other simple things. But this was the job I had studied for years: Photography! 

There was just something about photos that intrigued me. Yes, photos could be used to visually communicate ideas but it was, to me personally, a way to take memories with you. My mom had always taken photos of me as a child and I have only but one of her. And that photo was all that I had left of her, after the accident. I never really learned of how she'd actually passed away but, when she did, it made me sincerely treasure physical reminders of the memories we shared. Perhaps that was why I picked photography up as a passion. 

 

I entered the house to find Eunjung sleeping on the couch with wide open. Again. But as funny as it was, I grabbed a napkin to wipe the drool off her cheeks. She jolted awake as soon as I touched her, which caused me to laugh at her startled face. 

" Hehe, Unnie, 'you up now'? " I , holding up the napkin. She stared at me with blank eyes. Awkwardly, I looked away and set the napkin down. She sat up, returning to earth.

" Aish! Why do I always drool!? " she asked, stretching and running her hands through her hair.

" Unnie, can you make more breakfast for me? I'm hungry, " I pleaded, pouting a little. A single waffle wasn't so filling and the interview had starved me. 

" Araseo. Go set up the table, " she replied tiredly. I chuckled and went off to the dining room.

I love Eunjung unnie's cooking. Maybe because I haven't tried it in 15 years but, Eunjung's cooking felt like it would be my mother's. 
And even after that many years, my father still hasn't told me of what really happened. I was seven when it happened but 15 years later? A bit ridiculous I would say... 

 

While we were eating, I got a phone call,

" Yeoboseyo? (Hello?) " I said after wiping my mouth.

" Ne, Hyomin? This is Eunjung's mother, " was the reply from the other line.

" Ah, ye! Annyeonghaseyo! How are you and dad? " I asked her, who worked for my father. 

" Ah, Hyomin-ah... Something's happened.." her voice trailed off a little.

" Hm? Ameoni, what's wrong?? " The uncertainty of her voice started to worry me. Eunjung was looking at me in confusion.

" It's you're father..." she started a little quiet.

" ... " I felt my eyebrows scrunching, waiting for her to continue.

" He... He's in the hospital.. "