05. Gray (Seokjin; Friday)

Of Contact Lenses and Forearm Messages (BTS Version)

“Good morning!” I greeted as the bell on the front door rang, signaling that a customer has arrived. I resumed putting cinnamon buns on the display shelf and when I blinked, the color of the world changed into something… dull.  The feel of the color was sort of sad. I didn’t know how to describe it. There was a sudden crack of thunder and then rain started pouring. As I looked outside and saw the rain, I realized that whatever this color was, it suited the weather.

I went over to the cash register when I saw that there was someone ready to pay for their bread. As I was taking care of it, I caught writing on my forearm. I bid the customer goodbye then quickly read what Rapmon had written.

‘Good morning, Jin hyung!’

I quickly took my pen from my pocket.

‘Good morning to you too, Rapmon ah. Have you eaten?’

A few seconds later the two sentences disappeared and were replaced by a new one.

‘Yeah I have, since you told me to. Have you?’

 ‘Yep. So what color are your lenses today?’

‘Oh! I was told that they’re gray. How are they?’

‘They’re sort of dull? Although it suits the weather today so it’s okay.’

This writing on the forearm thing was cool, but he was right it was a bit of a hassle. Maybe it was time I give him my number? He did ask me for it.

‘Look I’ve been thinking, this writing on our forearm thing is cool, yes, but it’s getting a bit hard, don’t you think?’

A few seconds passed.

‘Wasn’t I the one that told you that a couple of nights ago? =))))’

‘Yeah yeah. So say please.’

‘What for?’

I smirked.

‘Just do it.’

‘Okay. Please?’

I grinned while writing down my number on my forearm.

‘I- is this…?

‘Yup!’

I then felt my phone vibrate. It was a text from an unknown number.

Jin hyung?

 A smile crept up my face. I saved the number and decided to press call. After a few rings the called got picked up.

“Hello? Jin hyung?”

“Hi Rapmon ah.”


 “Not to be rude, but what are you two doing here?” I asked as Yoongi and Jimin entered the bakery. They were followed by a boy taller than them. “Jungkookie!”

“Hi hyung!” Jungkook greeted as he made his way to give me a hug.

“What, you don’t want to see your two favorite dongsaengs?” Yoongi asked, grabbing a pan de sal and taking a bite from it.

Before I could respond someone else beat me to it. “Uh-uh Yoongi hyung. Seokjin hyung’s two favorite people are me and Hoseokie hyung.” Taehyung turned to me. “Right hyung?”

I shook my head, grinning. “What I meant was what are you doing here this early? I thought you finish work at five?”

“We’re on a break hyung,” Jimin chuckled. “And we decided to bring Kookie along. We asked Namjoon hyung but he said he was busy.”

I went on and attended to the customers while my four friends chatted.

“So Namjoon changed contact lenses again today,” Yoongi told them, now grabbing a chocolate crinkle. “They’re gray this time.”

I suddenly became interested as to where their conversation was going. Yoongi’s cousin was using the same color of lenses as Rapmon was. What a coincidence. Did most people use that color?

Apparently they noticed my sudden interest because they turned to me. “What?”

“Why the sudden interest?” Jimin asked. I shrugged.

“Come on hyung, tell us,” Hoseok urged.

“Well…” I then told them how I found it interesting that their Namjoon and my Rapmon were wearing the same color of lenses. I told them how he has been wearing a different pair everyday – I also mentioned the new colors I learned - and how we’ve been talking through our forearms.  “I gave him my number though, so we won’t be using our forearms from now on.”

“Why would your soulmate wear a different pair everyday though?” Taehyung questioned.

I shrugged. “I have no idea. I like to think he’s doing it for me though.”

Yoongi and Jimin appeared to be thinking of something. “Say Jinnie hyung,” Yoongi began. “What did you say the name of your soulmate was?”

“He told me to call him Rapmon,” I answered. Yoongi and Jimin seemed surprised and Taehyung’s eyes widened. “Why?”

“N-nothing,” Jimin and Yoongi answered at the same time. It was obvious that they were lying.

I raised an eyebrow at them. “Really?”

They nodded hurriedly. “Y-yeah. Well would you look at that our break is almost over we better be on our way. Come on Kook.” Yoongi was talking fast, seemingly wanting to leave in a hurry. “Taehyung ah! We’re coming over at your house later after work okay? Jungkook included.”

“Sure hyung!”

I just then realized something. “Yoongi wait! You haven’t paid for the food you ate!” He was then out the door with Jimin in tow. “Yah Min Yoongi!”


I was bored.

It was only seven thirty in the evening and I had nothing to do. I tried watching TV but nothing good was showing. I would hang-out with Tae and Hoseok but Yoongi and Jimin were coming over and I have a feeling that they didn’t want me there.

Oh right! I made a new friend today. Well not really but yeah. I grabbed my phone and looked for his number. Hopefully he wasn’t busy. I decided to send him a text first.

‘Rapmon ah, you busy?’

A few seconds later I received a reply.

‘No hyung. What’s up?’

Good. I could call him. I tapped his number and waited for him to answer my call.

“Hello?”

I grinned. “Hi Monnie.”

“Wow this is the second time you called today and I have a new nickname. Today must be my lucky day.” His voice was deep and the chuckle he let out was just… damn.

“Shut up,” I laughed. He did too. I liked his laugh. “So what are you doing?”

“I was reading a book before you called. What about you? You were bored, weren’t you?”

“How did you know?”

His voice was teasing. “Soulmate connection.”

“Yeah right.” I scoffed playfully. “But yeah you’re right. I’m all alone here. My friends are hanging out without me.”

“You’re not sulking, are you?” he asked.

“No, just bored.”

“Let me accompany you then,” he offered. “I’m alone too. My housemates left as well so I’m alone as you are.”

“Alright then,” I said. “So how was your day?”

Well, it wasn’t as busy as the past few ones so I had time to chill and stuff. What about you hyung, how was your day?”

“It was normal,” I replied. “Business was good- except for that damn Yoongi not paying for the food he ate ugh.”

Yoongi?” I think there was a bit of recognition in his voice. But when he spoke again it was gone. “There there hyung,” he chuckled. “How much does this Yoongi owe you?”

“Not much,” I dismissed.

And we went on like that; talking about anything and everything, trying to learn about each other in the process.

And it was nice. I could get used to this.