The Mutual Friend

3 Girls, 2 Choices, 1 Ending

 

 



 

“Chaeyoung-ah! Chaeyoung-ah!”

 

The short artist heard a familiar voice call out as she was heading to grab dinner.

“Momo-unnie?” she raised an eyebrow in confusion upon discovering who it was. “What’s wrong? You seem kinda flustered.”

 

The Japanese dancer grabbed onto her shoulder while gasping for air, exhausted from rushing over.

She managed to lift up her face after panting for a while. “I’ve got juicy news. Brace yourself.”

“You know I don’t like gossips, unnie.” Chaeyoung brushed her off before making her way inside the convenient store with Momo following right behind her.

She grabbed a triangular kimbap and a bottle of coke while her friend swiftly took a bar of Twix, sneakily shoving it to the cashier as the artist was about to pay.

“Yes, but this one’s important to you, Chaengyeongie. It’s because I know you that I’m here.” Momo exclaimed as her chocolate bar was shoved back at her after the payment. They left the store and sat themselves onto a nearby bench to enjoy their snacks.

 

Chaeyoung glanced at her friend suspiciously as she unwrapped her own food. “So? What’s so important for you to hunt me down?”

Momo took a huge bite of her sweets, wiping the corners of with her bare hands carelessly. “I was with Sa-tang this afternoon; we went out and were heading back to school when we caught sight of Minari. She was with this other chick- alone. Together.”

The hip-hop dancer could see her small friend flinch upon hearing that specific name. She also saw Chaeyoung’s ears and cheeks flush pink uncontrollably, making her grin in amusement.

“A-And?” Chaeyoung tried to mask away her nervousness despite failing tremendously. Her face was as easy to read as an extra-large LED banner at a dimly lit concert.

“Chaeng, I know you have a crush on Mina.” Momo exposed straightforwardly, “It’s super obvious. You were a bit too excited when you found out she was our mutual friend, not to mention the look on your face whenever her name was mentioned.”

 

Son Chaeyoung mumbled indecipherably under her breath while Momo observed“I’m only telling you because I care about you, Chaeng. Your competition is a tough one.”

“Why? Who is that other chick?” she snapped, expressing her jealousy unintentionally yet clearly.

“Uhh, what’s her name again… oh! Yoo Jeongyeon. She’s a musical star.”

“Yoo Jeongyeon…” Chaeyoung repeated. “Is she… really hot or something?”

“Personally she’s not my type, but Sa-tang said she’s really popular. She can sing, dance, and act afterall.” Momo answered with a shrug, “You’ll have to step up your game to win, hun.”

“W-Why are you assuming she’s my rival? Maybe they were just hanging out during their spare as frien-”

“She wouldn’t ogle over a ‘friend’, Chaeng. I saw the look in her eyes, and it was the same as yours when you purchased a brand new set of art supplies.”

 

The younger grunted in disbelief. “How am I supposed to compete with someone like her then?!”

“Hey hey, you’ve got your own charms.”

“But I don’t have the presence of a popular musical actress, Hirai-san.” Chaeyoung sulked as she fiddled with her half-empty bottle of pop. “I’m just a regular art-nerd…”

“Who knows, maybe Minari prefers nerds over superstars.” Momo comforted gently. She ruffled the artist’s boyish short hair, making it a complete mess. “Don’t stress about it, kid, I’ll help you out! Your crush is a close friend of mine, you know.”

Chaeyoung leaned her head onto Momo’s shoulders and snuggled herself closer. “You think I’d stand a chance, unnie?” she asked as her breath tickled Momo’s skin.

The older pinched her cheeks adoringly. “Of course. You’re attractive in your very own ways, Chaeyoungie. You gotta know that.”

 

Unexpectedly for the both of them, the exact girl from their topic coincidentally showed up to the scene as they were simply chilling on the bench after their heartfelt chat.

Mina was heading to the convenient store until her gaze met the one’s of Chaeyoung’s.

Then Momo’s.

Then back to Chaeyoung’s.

 

“Ehh?!” the ballerina exclaimed in shock as she slowly approached the two.

Chaeyoung immediately removed her face from Momo’s shoulder, shuffling away shyly.

“You two are also acquaintances?” the ballerina marvelled in awe as Momo got up from her seat to give her a hug.

“It’s a small world, Minari.” Momo chuckled as she snuck a peek at the girl besides her, who refused to look at either of the girls.

“A small school to be exact.” Mina giggled back, “What a nice coincidence.”

“Go grab whatever you needed and come join us! We should stroll around the campus while we’re at it.”

 

Mina went and did as she was told, leaving the duo to themselves again.

As soon as the automatic doors slid themselves shut, Chaeyoung gave the dancer a sharp pinch on the waist which made her squeal loudly.

Momo managed to wriggle herself free as the artist began to panic.

“What was that for?!” Chaeyoung hissed lowly just in case Mina suddenly returns. “I’m not ready for this!”

“You gotta snag whatever chance you get, darling. Do you want Jeongyeon to steal your girl?”

“S-She’s not my girl!”

“Yet. She could be if you stop being so timid and grow a pair!” Momo nagged while slapping her friend lightly on the arms.

 

With her great timing, Mina just happened to witness that act as she walked out of the store with a cup of hot chocolate in hand.

“Momorin, you’re not being a bully to Chaeyoungie, are you?” Mina teased while the youngest died in the inside from the way she called her; out of nowhere, Mina had chosen to drop the honourifics and Chaeyoung absolutely loved it.

“Of course I’m not! How could I ever do that to my cute little baby?” Momo cooed while pinching Chaeyoung’s soft cheeks again, tugging them left and right playfully. Chaeyoung managed to escape her grasp and hid behind Mina, rubbing her sore face with a pout.

“Pabo Momo.” she stuck a tongue out at her friend out of embarrassment before storming away.

The two Japanese students automatically followed with motherly-smiles on their faces.

 

“So how did you two meet?” Momo asked Mina despite already knowing their story.

Chaeyoung had forced her to listen to her detailed explainations for an hour straight two days after the artist had met her model.

She merely wanted to start a conversation that may lure the girl into asking more about Chaeyoung later.

Although many viewed the powerful dancer as an airhead, Hirai Momo can actually be smart when she wants to- it’s just that most of the time she chooses not to use her brain.

Also she’s clumsy.

Very, very clumsy.

 

“I became her art class’s model. She’s an incredible artist.” Mina summarised incredibly briefly, not forgetting to throw in a compliment for the student who was too far ahead to hear. “And you?”

“Oh, our first meeting was hilarious.” Momo started laughing before she could even begin her explanation. “It was on the first day of school last year, and I was rushing to leave when school ended. I was going down a flight of stairs while Chaeng was coincidentally going up. I missed a step and ended up crashing straight into her, bringing her with me down the stairs.”

“Wow- were you two alright?” Mina gasped from the story. “I mean it’s obvious you two survived, but still.”

“I ended up on top of her and surprisingly had no injuries, but Chaeng on the other hand scratched her elbow since she cushioned my fall.” Momo scratched her head embarrassingly as she recalled the incident. “I felt super bad so I brought her to the infirmary and that’s how we bonded. Over a brutal fall.” she laughed at herself.

“I worry about you and your clumsiness, Momorin…” Mina sighed, “Though I’m glad she seems fine now. Are you sure she only had a scratch?”

“Yeah, the school nurse checked. I don’t know if her wounds left a scar or not, but that was her only injury. Thank God- I’d never forgive myself if it was something serious.”

“You two were really lucky. Be careful next time, okay?”

“Yes mother.” Momo grinned as she clung onto the girl’s arm. She then took a look at their mutual friend who was still quite far away from them.

“Chaeng, slow down! How can you walk so far ahead with those short legs of yours?” she yelled jokingly, immediately gaining a response.

“Rude!!!” the petite girl shrieked back while flailing her arms, making the Japanese duo laugh out loud at her adorable behaviour. “I’m taller than the average height for women in our country okay?!”

“She searched it up before, that info…” Momo tried her best to hold back more giggles while Mina showed off her gummy-smile widely. “Unbelievable…”

 

Eventually the two caught up with Chaeyoung who was still pouting from Momo’s tease.

Of course, the shy artist stood next to Momo, who was stuck in the middle of her friends.

Snagging whatever chances she could create, the wingman-wannabe swiftly escaped to the other side, sandwiching Mina instead.

The trio proceeded to walk in peace, until Momo’s phone buzzed within her jacket pocket.

 

“Oh? Sa-tang’s summoning me back in the dorm.” she exclaimed as she scanned through her messages. “I better get going then. You know how she is when she gets impatient.”

“Ah but unni-”

“Have fun you two! Don’t stay out too late!” the cheeky dancer cut Chaeyoung’s words off as she waved them goodbye, already running away into the distance.

Of course she had to run away-

 

Especially after lying about receiving a text from Sana.

 

All Momo truly got was a reminder to pay her phone bills this month.

But of course, the girl was trying to become the best wingman Chaeyoung could ever ask for, and she knew exactly what to do to create more opportunities for the shy artist.

 

Mina and Chaeyoung continued strolling around, but with a hint of awkwardness and tension within the air.

With both of them acting just as shy as one another, neither of the girls spoke a word until Chaeyoung mentally slapped herself to do something.

Anything, just to not waste Momo’s efforts.

 

“D-Do you also live in the dorms here, Mina-sshi?” she barely choked out her question as she literally felt her heart pumping loudly in her chest.

She was silently cursing Momo for abruptly leaving their side, although she also understood her intentions.

“Nope.” Mina answered, “I didn’t really want to spend so much money for a room when I can just settle for a small place nearby.”

“That’s pretty smart actually.” Chaeyoung chuckled stiffly, “My parents forced me to live in the dorm because it’ll make me socialise more- their words, not mine.”

“Are they worried that you wouldn’t make friends here?”

Apparently. I’m doing just fine though, I have plenty of good friends!” Chaeyoung puffed out her cheeks, “They worry way too much.”

“That’s what parents do. We’re forever little kids within their eyes.” Mina smiled.

 

The artist gazed up at the evening sky above their heads, letting out another sigh.

“It must be nice to live with your family while attending university though. I miss them a lot recently.”

Mina did likewise, admiring the view. “I actually live alone.”

Chaeyoung redirected her gaze to the female beside her after hearing her reply. “Holy- that’s amazing! I wouldn’t be able to keep myself alive if that was the case for me.”

Her remark caused her crush to giggle adorably, making her lips curl subconsciously into a grin.

“It’s nice since I have all the privacy I could ask for, but it gets pretty lonely sometimes.” Mina confessed, “I can see why your parents preferred you to stay in the dorms.”

“Oh…” Chaeyoung noticed the slight hint of sorrow within the girl’s eyes, “Well, why don’t you ask your friends to visit you? If you’re living alone, no one’s there to prevent you from holding parties and sleepovers!” she suggested with an innocent grin.

 

Mina took a few seconds to process her words before starting another giggling fit. “For that to happen, first of all I’d need more friends.”

“Huh? Aren’t you like, super popular?” Chaeyoung’s eyes widened in shock, unable to contain her confusion.

“What makes you think that?” Mina made eye-contact with the small artist.

Of course, Chaeyoung’s face immediately began to blush.

Mina caught sight of it this time.

 

“I- uh…” Chaeyoung found herself becoming a stuttering mess, hastily looking away before she lost all her capability to speak.

“I just… I thought you’re really p-pretty and kind and all, so people m-must’ve liked you a lot…” she somehow managed to reveal honestly, causing Mina to raise both of her eyebrows in surprise.

“I never thought people would think of me that way… You’re so sweet, thank you.” Mina flashed a beautiful smile directly at Chaeyoung.

The artist mustered up the courage to look at her again, but instantly glanced away in fear of her heart stopping from the stunning sight.

“Y-You’re welcome…”

 

“I’m actually too timid to get to know people here.” Mina revealed with a soft giggle, “I can count all of the people I consider ‘friends’ with a single hand, and you already know one of them.”

“Wow, I really don’t know much about you yet, huh.” Chaeyoung smiled sheepishly back. “I honestly thought you were one of those popular girls who’s always surrounded by admirers. You know, like the ones in western movies.”

“I think I prefer to stay low and avoid that sort of chaotic lifestyle.” Mina replied shyly, “I don’t need excessive attention when I have my 4 friends to talk to. That includes you too, Chaeyoungie.”

 

Mina’s words struck Chaeyoung right in the heart, causing her to struggle with breathing properly as the ballerina literally took her breath away.

The little artist was all the way up on cloud nine. She was now thanking Momo nonstop within her mind.

 

“T-Thank you so much, Mina-sshi…” Chaeyoung forced herself to reply before Mina could notice her fangirling state.

“Please, Mina is fine. I’ve already started calling you ‘Chaeyoungie’ so it’d be weird if you continued being so formal to me.”

Chaeyoung somehow witnessed the older girl blush faintly. She was on the verge of getting a cardiac arrest thanks to Mina’s charms.

“O-Okay…” she bashfully looked at Mina in the eyes, who was still smiling softly at her, “… M-M-Mina-unnie….”

 

Her words unconsciously made Mina’s heart skip a beat from being so goddamn cute.

Mina absolutely adores cute things, and Chaeyoung was the human-form of the word ‘cute’.

 

While they enjoyed one another’s company as the sun began to set in the background, the two students felt a chill breeze.

“You should probably head home soon, unnie. It’ll be dangerous to walk alone once it gets dark.” Chaeyoung broke the calm silence as she saw the elegant female wrap her clothing tighter around her body. “It’s getting pretty cold too. We wouldn’t want our amazing model to get sick.” she chuckled.

“We wouldn’t want our best artist to get sick either.” Mina shot back with a grin, catching Chaeyoung off-guard with her compliment. “Get back to the dormitories safely, okay?”

“No worries.” Chaeyoung saluted, but just as Mina turned herself around to leave she hastily remembered something that was stuck on the back of her mind.

“Wait, unnie!”

 

Mina stopped her movements before facing Chaeyoung again, who was now rummaging through her backpack.

The younger eventually pulled out her phone and shyly gave it to Mina.

“C-Can I have your number?” Chaeyoung squeaked in embarrassment, her gaze stuck to the concrete floor.

“Of course.” Mina smiled back as she tapped away. She then returned the phone back to its owner, who was beaming in pure joy. “Good night, Chaeyoungie.”

 

Surprisingly, the ballerina went in for a farewell hug, turning Chaeyoung as stiff as a stone upon her touch.

For a split second, the younger girl’s soul had left her body, but she was capable of it back when Mina released herself from the warm embrace. The two stood on the spot while smiling shyly to each other for a few seconds.

 

As they waved their final goodbyes before parting ways, a few figures had stopped their tracks to watch them from the distance.

“Yah,” one of the figures muttered as she observed on, poking the person beside her on the arm.

 

“You’ve got competition, Jeongyeon-ah.”