The Performer

3 Girls, 2 Choices, 1 Ending

 

 



 

“Are you serious?! Our first musical is ‘The Greatest Showman’?!”

“And you were voted to be the lead as expected, Jeongyeon-ah. Congratulations.”

 

Jeongyeon let out a sigh as her and her friends flipped through the script book while resting on the large, wooden stage.

Although she enjoys her popularity, there’s still moments where she hoped to stay out of the spotlight.

As a person who was both extroverted enough to be capable of showcasing her brilliant talent to an audience, yet also introverted enough to want to take a break from everyone’s attention once in a while, Yoo Jeongyeon often finds herself struggling in such situations.

 

“You’ll do great, don’t worry! I trust our teachers’ choice. You are our top star anyways.”

“I just wish someone else could get the opportunity to become the lead.” Jeongyeon exhaled tiredly, “I don’t want to snag the spotlight every single time. What will others think of me?”

“Relax, everyone loves you. Don’t you remember the amount of screams there was during your entrance to the stage last year? It was no joke.”

“Yeah Jeongyeon-ah, the only thing you need to worry about is the amount of choreography and lines you’re responsible for. That’s like, the only thing preventing me from wanting a lead role. There’s a ton of work waiting for you so good luck with that, baby girl.”

“Well, I better get started then.” the star grumbled sadly before concentrating on the booklet again, scanning it through for a rough understanding of the plot. “Wait, it says there’s ballet in here- please don’t tell me we’re gonna be forced to learn ballet just for this musical…”

 

“Don’t worry, we’re not that cruel kiddo.”

 

The three students screamed in unison upon suddenly hearing their teacher’s voice. The woman had approached them discreetly to check up on their progress, while also taking the opportunity to act childishly by scaring the living hell out of them.

Obviously, she succeeded and was happy.

“Bomi-ssaem! How long have you been listening to us complain?!” one of Jeongyeon’s friend whined while placing a hand onto her chest, trying to calm her rapid heartbeat down.

“Uhh, ever since you started?” the teacher smirked, “But yeah, we’ll be collaborating with the Dance Department for that ballet part, so don’t go crying to your parents just yet.”

“Daebak, I thought they only learn stuff like contemporary dance or hip-hop. They have to learn ballet too?”

“Don’t underestimate the dance students, kiddos. They’re just as talented in their field as you guys are with performance-art.” the woman grinned, “Actually, they’re coming over right now to plan with us.”

“Performing with the Dance Department, huh…” Jeongyeon wondered, “Sounds fun actually. We’ve never worked with others before. What’s with this sudden collaboration, Ms. Yoon?”

“I just thought we could try something new since you guys are already in your junior year.” their teacher answered, “It’s also to prepare you guys for the future, since you’ll be forced to work with all sorts of people if you choose to continue down this path- sometimes it’ll be a pain in the , but in the end it’ll help you improve as a performer if you could handle it well.”

“Wow, who is this lady? Bomi-ssaem could never spout words of wisdom like this.” the three girls laughed with their teacher. 

Their casual chit-chat was soon distrupted as they noticed the doors to the theatre opening up.

 

A charismatic lady could be seen leading a group of students inside, gaining everyones’ curious stares.

The woman scanned around the large theatre before finally spotting the person she was looking for. “There you are, Yoon Bomi-sshi.”

“Was I that hard to find, Kim Namjoo-sshi?” Jeongyeon’s teacher chuckled as she approached her colleague, giving her a quick hug. “Did I blend in because I look so youthful?”

Ms. Kim rolled her large eyes upon witnessing the lady act cute. “You wish, honey. It’s because you’re so goddamn short that you got blocked by your students.”

“Wow, rude.” Ms. Yoon pouted as her own students giggled from the roast, “You see how mean your teacher is?!” she yelled to the group of students behind Ms. Kim, who also started laughing from the sight of the two bickering teachers.

“Anyways, I’ve picked out a bunch of my kids who can do ballet. Want to check their potential?” the dance teacher asked.

“I mean- I trust your choices, but why not? I’m sure my students would want to see a free live performance. RIGHT, CHILDREN?!” Ms. Yoon shrieked at her students who cheered loudly back. “Show me what your kids got.”

 

Ms. Kim turned to face the group of students behind her. “Since we haven’t learnt any routines yet, just freestyle to the music.” she instructed as her students scrabbled onto the stage, each finding their preferred spot.

Jeongyeon and her friends scooched themselves to the side as they watched their fellow schoolmates get into their own starting poses.

After she observed each and every single dance student curiously, Jeongyeon noticed her eyes couldn’t help but to go back to a girl at the furthest end of the platform; the way she posed, the aura she gave, the beauty she radiated just lured Jeongyeon right in despite being so far away from the rest. It was as if she purposely hid herself or else she would accidentally outshine everyone else.

 

As soon as the music started playing, the group of ballerinas began improvising their dances. The sudden request for an unprepared performance caught them off-guard, thus most of the ballerinas played it safe by sticking to the basics, yet there was one individual who truly gave it her all.

 

It was Myoui Mina, the girl who stole Jeongyeon’s attention.

 

When the music ended, the theatre kids screamed and applauded excitedly for the dancers. The ballerinas proceeded to exit the stage and crowded around their teacher while Ms. Yoon’s students followed suit, all prepared for their group meeting.

The university students found themselves a seat in the arena while the two grown-ups sat on the edge of the stage.

“Okay guys, I know it’s the first day back from vacay, but let’s try not to doze off.” Ms. Yoon announced brightly, her voice echoing around the theatre. “We’re starting this semester off with a bang. You guys will be performing this collab of ours at our school’s welcome-back ceremony. Sorry for the surprise, but it’s happening in 2 weeks. Taa-dah?”

Instantly she received groans and shrieks of terror from the two groups of students, all shocked from the piece of information; they had only thought of it as a classwork project, yet they now realised they were going to be an act with a live audience.

 Jeongyeon and her extroverted friends were the ones who shrieked the loudest, which easily gained them the attention of their teacher.

“Ah yes, since we came prepared, our class has actually decided on a few roles already. For example, that screaming girl is our main protagonist. Jeongyeon-ah, why don’t you stand up and give the dancers a good ol’ wave?” Ms. Yoon’s tease successfully made the performer blush in embarrassment as the dance students were now staring.

Obediently, she did as she was told, gaining an applause while her friends punched her on the arms playfully.

 

“The soundtrack you chose is ‘The Greatest Show’, correct?” Ms. Kim asked as she scrolled through her phone messages for the lady’s text.

“Reprise. The ending scene to be exact.” the performance-art teacher nodded, “You know how P.T. Barnum went to watch his daughter’s ballet performance? I want to incorporate that into the main part and that’s when your kids come in.”

“Wait- we’re acting out the whole musical for the ceremony?” a theatre kid suddenly asked, “How are we supposed to learn it all in 2 weeks?!”

“No need to crap your pants darling, we’re only going to focus on that one song for our act.” Ms. Yoon crackled at the sight of the panicking student, “We’ll deal with the rest as classwork afterwards and maybe perform it at our own performance-art showcase.”

“But do you want the choreography from the film or an original one?” the dance teacher brought up, “Because it’ll be difficult to arrange and teach one with only 2 weeks to prepare everything.”

“The one in the movie is fine. You don’t have to tire yourself out just for a simple performance.”

“Good. I’ll show them the video then. Huddle up, my children!”

 

As the dancers viewed the video clip on Ms. Kim’s phone, Ms. Yoon approached her own batch of students.

“Of course we’re no circus professionals, so I’m not expecting you guys to be swung around or ride elephants on stage.” the teacher addressed while her girls laughed, “I’ll stitch up a short dialogue based on the real lines and add them around your dance break. For now I’d like you all to get to know the movie and the kids from the dance department, since it’s important to know who you’ll be working with. Remember, play nice.”

“Dae!” the performance-art class yelled enthusiastically before the teacher let them be, trusting her kids to do as they’re told.

 

Of course, Jeongyeon and her squad instantly started chatting instead of doing proper work.

 

“Yah, those ballerinas were so good.” one recalled as she sneaked a glance at the group, “I can’t believe they could improvise on the spot. I’m shooketh.”

“I know right? It puts our typical, overly-dramatic musical-movements to shame.” the other nodded in agreement, “What did you think of ‘em, Jeongyeon?”

Yoo Jeongyeon also snuck a peep, trying her best to find Mina from among the group of dancers. “…They were so pretty.” was all she commented after a pause, making her friends smirk.

 

“Honey, your gay is showing.”

“Oh yeah, she definitely fell for someone. For sure.”

“Who is it? Which one stole your heart just by dancing for 2 minutes?”

“Is it that chick with huge s? Is that your type?”

“Nah I think she’d prefer someone who’s petite.”

Excuse me ladies?!” Jeongyeon shrieked while her face began to blush.

“Oh, look at her being shy and all. Our Jeongyeon’s all grown up and ready for love!”

“Remember to introduce us to her before marriage, okay sweetie?”

“Ah more importantly, remember to use protection before consensual se-”

 

YAHHH!!!” Jeongyeon let out a loud roar, unable to control her volume thanks to how flustered she was thanks to her playful friends.

She instantly regretted being so loud as she felt all eyes were on her once again, including the one on her mind.

“Ah, screaming kid, you’re the one who’s going to act as Barnum, right?” Ms. Kim suddenly called out, making Jeongyeon flinch in her seat.

“D-Dae.”

“Come here for a sec.”

 

The performer scurried herself towards the dance teacher in embarrassment, a little anxious as she still had the attention of all the ballerinas. She glanced at Mina quickly, making eye-contact for a split second.

To her surprise, Ms. Kim reached out and grabbed the exact person whom she just looked at, pulling the girl to their side.

“She’s going to be your oldest daughter, the main ballerina for our section of the performance.” Ms. Kim introduced. “I just wanted you two to meet as I’m thinking of suggesting an idea to Bom- I mean Ms. Yoon. I thought it’d be nice if we had the father and his daughter dance together to properly mix the two parts. What do you girls think?”

The two students looked at each other once more, both having the same expression on their faces.

“I know, I know, it’s all awkward and weird right now, but you two will need to work on your teamwork if my idea gets approved.” the woman added after reading their reaction, “You girls should get to know each other and maybe become friends? I mean- You don’t have to, it’s just a suggestion to ease up the tension, thats’ all.”

 

After consoling the two, Ms. Kim left them alone to have another discussion with the other teacher within the theatre.

Jeongyeon and Mina could only stand there, not knowing what to do.

The performer decided to muster up some courage to speak up, since she did want to get to know the ballerina; she was secretly thanking Ms. Kim when the lady was explaining her idea to them. All she have to do now is to take proper use of the golden opportunity.

“Hey.” Jeongyeon flashed out a smile, surprising Mina with her sudden boldness. “My name is Yoo Jeongyeon. I’m a 98-liner, and you?” she managed to introduce herself smoothly.

Realising that the girl was actually trying, Mina felt thankful and chose to open up also. “Hello Jeongyeon-sshi. I’m Myoui Mina, and I’m a 99-liner.”

“Myoui Mina- that’s an interesting name. You’re not Korean, are you?” the older girl pointed out from curiosity.

“You’re correct. I’m from Japan.” Mina answered with a soft smile. “My family moved here when I was in grade 11.”

“That explains why your Korean is so good.” the performer chuckled lightly, “How long have you learnt ballet though? I’m not trying to be nice, but you were really the best dancer back there.” she lowered her voice for the second part. Jeongyeon also took a step closer towards Mina, leaning slightly towards her ear.

“Don’t tell the others.” she whispered jokingly, causing the girl to giggle. Her friends were watching their every move from the distance.

“Thank you, that’s still very kind of you to say.” Mina bowed politely, “I’ve learnt ballet for 11 years, that’s why I may be a little more experienced than the others- but of course they’re all still very talented. They’re way better at the other dance styles than me. You just met us while we’re doing my forte, that’s all.”

 

The kind and humble female made Jeongyeon’s heart flutter uncontrollably.

Although the performer never really cared about her love-life, she finally experienced new emotions within her heart thanks to Mina.

Maybe just like what her friends had joked earlier, she may be up for a change and was ready for love.

 

Unfortunately, before they could continue their conversation, accidental--blocker Ms. Yoon instructed for her students to gather around, forcing them to separate.

Jeongyeon quickly pulled out her smartphone and shyly gave it to the dancer. “Is it okay if I can get your number?” she asked with a stiff smile as she was going crazy within her mind for making such a bold move.

Thankfully, Mina accepted the phone and started typing away before returning it back.

“Please send me a text later so I can add you too.” the ballerina smiled once more. She then headed back to where the other dance students were, rejoining the group.

 

Jeongyeon looked at her phone’s screen, smiling stupidly at the new contact information.

“Your Daughter, Myoui Mina…”