Fascinating

Chen's Magical Roommate, Yixing
WARNING:
Yixing/FOC, although she isn't in here - yet.  If you expected Chen and Yixing to end up together - well - the story took on a life of it's own.  Just thought I'd warn you if Yixing/FOC isn't your thing.

Chapter 3
Fascinating

(

    The sun had started to set by the time Chen got home.  He hung the keys by the door and smiled.  Luhan had fixed the hole in the wall and the door frame.  He did good work.  Maybe he'd take him out for a thank you dinner or something.
    Yawning, he went upstairs.  He and Yixing's rooms were at opposite ends of the hall and they had to share a bathroom.  Thankfully, they were both clean people.  Now, organized...  Well, that would be Yixing.
    Chen left laundry in a basket or on the dresser until he got bored.  Then he took extra care to fold and hang them up.  He constantly tripped over shoes or dirty piles of clothes... So, sue him.  He thought of it as chaotic organization.  Growing up, his parents had hated it, but it worked for him.
    He the light and sighed.  Home, finally.  His unmade bed made him smirk.  Yes, he did things his way.  After getting a shower he went to the attic.
   It smelled like burnt wood and spicy incense.  It reminded him of camping.  If there were smores it'd be a party.  Smiling he went to the center of the room and pulled the light string.  Yixing used candles to work at night, because the light barely illuminated any thing.
    Luhan had offered to install a new light, but he suspected he preferred the candles.
    Sitting on the bench and called him.  His message played:  "You have reached Yixing.  Leave your message and I'll-"  The impending rustle sound always made him laugh.  "Um... um...  I'll call you back soon."
    He shook his head and left a message:  "I'm home, man.  Call me back.  Just wondering where you are.  We need to talk about this plant baby thing."
    At midnight-ish he got a text message:  "I'll be home in the morning. ;)"
    Yixing hadn't spent a night away since he'd arrived.  Maybe he'd made new friends.  He texted back:  "Alright.  Have fun.  Don't do any thing I wouldn't do. >.<"
(
    Chen had fallen asleep on the couch, which is what he used to do when he lived alone.  He yawned and cleared his throat.  A clank noise from the kitchen made him lean his head back and listen.  The kettle had been put on, which meant Yixing had returned.  He looked at his watch.
    His eyes widened:  Noon.  Rubbing his eyes he went to the kitchen.
    The table had been set with rice, meat, something green leaved, and two mugs.  Yixing glanced at him and smiled.  He clicked the stove off and pored the hot water in a glass tea pitcher.  Using a folded dish towel he brought it to the table.  Chen sat down and gave a head bow as he filled his cup.
    He said, "What type of tea would you like?"
    Chen squinted at him.  "You look different."  He had a glow and looked relaxed?  If he wasn't mistaken he blushed.  He smirked and said, "What 'did' you do last night?"
    Yixing went to the cubbard and took a small jar of three different tea bags.  His question had made him fore-go the option he'd had for tea.  The water turned a purple color and he wrinkled his nose:  Raspberry.  He'd done it on purpose.  The chair scraped the floor and he looked up to see him sitting down.
    He put a green tea bag in his and said, "That's an inappropriate conversation for lunch."
    Holy , he'd actually...  Chen laughed.  "You got layed.  Oh- oh, this is too great.  I can't believe you've met someone already."  Propping his head up he said, "Was it just a one night thing or like... ya know... more?"
    "In-a-propriate," he warned.
    "Oh, come on.  I don't want details, but seriously.  Tell me something?"
    Blowing on his tea, he looked at him.  He breathed in through his nose and his body shifted.  With bated breath he waited.  His voice made his heart jump.  "Fine, but no personal details."
    Putting his hands up, he said, "Yeah yeah, I promise.  So?"
    "She's my girlfriend from back home.  We met at a convention for witches when I was nineteen.  Two years ago is when things became serious."
    Fascinating.  Until now, he hadn't really considered him a man.  It shifted his entire perspective.  "So... she came for a visit?  Why would you move here if you're involved with someone?"
    He put his cup down and sat back.  "I had a feeling I needed to come here, so... here I am.  She's in the process of moving here to."
    His heart sank.  "Does that mean you'll be moving out?"
    "No.  She and I talked about it..."  His shoulders hunched and his lips tightened.  Just his eyes looked at him.  "I... proposed.  And we talked-"
    Chen jumped out of his chair.  "Y-You proposed.  Oh, my God, Yixing.  Congratulations."  He gasped.
    "S-She...  Did she accept.  I mean... if she didn't this going to be awkward."  He scratched his head.  A grin eased his heart.
    He said, "Of course she accepted.  And we've discussed something you may be interested in."
    "Really, what is it?"
    "Well, first off, are you attached to this apartment.  Is it of sentimental value?"
    His eyebrows furrowed.  "Not... particularly, why?"  He threw his hands up and said, "Please tell me you're both not going to burn it down."
    He tisked.  "You really are dramatic.  That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard come out of your mouth yet."
    "Well...  Just checking.  He sat down.  So, what about the sentimental value?"
    "I was just checking, because with my income, hers and yours, we'll be able to get a bigger apartment.  Or a house... if you want?"
    The idea of having more space had always gave him something to strive for, even if he'd accepted it wouldn't happen.  His job as an adult shop-keep at his aunt's store wouldn't cut it.  Not that he hated it.  He loved being close to family, and all of the magical items.  Even if his skills had never been any thing special.
    It felt like home.
    He said, "I'm not sure.  I mean, if you two are moving in together, then wouldn't you want privacy?  And I'd probably feel like a third wheel.  How would she feel about this?"
    Yixing said excitedly, "No.  We talked about it.  It was actually her idea.  I told her that my feeling had lead me to you.  We're destined to be in each other's lives."
    Warmth started from his heart and spread through his body.  He hadn't realized the depth of this friendship.  It shifted his perspective more.  Yixing, in that moment, became family.  His eyes stung as he said, "A-Are you sure.  I won't be in the way?"
    "Of course not.  We'll have plenty of privacy.  We're both modest... more than you-"
    "Hey.  Watch it, witch."  Half-formed tears forgotten he crossed his arms.
    Yixing grinned.  "We prefer to keep it to our room."
    He couldn't believe this.  "Ok.  I accept, but... if you two get too , I'm out.  Got it."  There's no way Yixing really be.  He'd bet he had freaky tendencies though.  It didn't mean he wanted to hear them through the walls.
    "Ok," Yixing said.  "It's settled.  It could take a couple weeks for her to get back here, and then a month or so before we get the place.  We still have to search for one."
    "Ugh.  I didn't think about that part."
    He snickered.  "It'll be fun.  Plus, I'm going to show Dee the places through video chat."
    "Dee?  Is that her name?"
    "Yes.  Deanna Skeleton.  She's a witch who makes keys and research is her specialty."
    Chen made a face.  "Her last name is actually Skeleton?  I'm not sure rather I should be intrigued or scared."
(
    "Scared," Jongin said.  "Definitely scared."  His neck wrinkled as he looked down at the necklace he'd tried on.  It reached below his clavicle and had an oval jade stone embedded in aged brass.
      Chen snorted.  "What if she turns out to be some goth chick with side shaved hair and tons of tattoos?"
    Kyungsoo said to Jongin, "You're an idiot.  Don't listen to him, and no.  The stone and brass doesn't match."  Jongin took it off and hung it back up.  He went in search of something else.
    To Chen, he said, "Stop making assumptions .  She may be lovely.  From the few times I've met him, and regardless of what you say about him being scary, he seems sweet.  I doubt he'd doubt some depressed goth chick."  He picked a ring from one of two display cases.
    The square shaped top went from wide to thin around the finger.  He put it on an index finger and the black stone shined in the light.  It matched his fitted black button down and pressed slacks.  The carefully styled back hair and sheered sides is more what made him look refined.  Not blinking at the fifty dollar price, he bought it.
    He said, "Have you spoken any more to Yixing about the... plant baby?"  His lips twitched.
    Chen loudly groaned.  "No.  I got side tracked.  Oh, I forgot to tell you."
    One eyebrow rose.
    "Yixing proposed.  It's not just his girlfriend that's moving in, but his fiance'."
    "Oh-"
    "Who proposed," Jongin said.  He held a brass necklace he recognized.  He'd watched his aunt cleanse it.  It could be used to harness energy or make a protection amulet.  "I want this."  He handed it Kyungsoo.
    Chen grinned.  Those two were complete opposites, but somehow complemented each other.  He guessed Kyungsoo kept Jongin from being taken advantage of, and Jongin reminded him not to take every thing so seriously.  Or, according to experience, forced each other, because they were two of the most hard-headed people he knew.  Kyungsoo paid the thirty five dollar price and put it on Jongin.
    Adorable.
    He reconsidered questioning his choice in friends.

Whose your favorite character so far?  Fun Poll Below - Vote.