Chen's Magical Roommate, Yixing

Chen's Magical Roommate, Yixing
I won't use an 'M' rating.  I'll warn you of any thing before each chapter.
Chapter One
Chen's Magical Roommate, Yixing

(

    Chen had met Yixing two months ago through a roommate forum. The other three prospects had quickly lost favor, because they'd either been pushy, creepy, and one dropped out. Then Yixing came along and not only had he been kind, but he'd gotten to know more about him through his In-the-life-of-a-male-witch YouTube channel. He'd also designed a passive online magic class for beginners: Passive meant they paid a one time fee and could download loads of free resources to also help them. If Chen knew any thing about Yixing, passion fueled every thing he did in life.
    Including, planting an herb garden... on the roof... while being hoisted by a thriving cluster of vines. The vines were knew and hopefully temporary, because they freaked him out. Chen took a few steps back.
    Yixing owned an array of colored work robes, and he could only make out today's, because it's end hung over a giant leaf. A dorky thing about him is he liked to be dramatic - case in point: Silver robe, too long to walk in, but long and regal enough to paint himself and the vines as a fantasy scene. As usual he sensed him before he had the chance to speak. His thick hair looked black until light hit it, and then it looked bright blue. Blue framed his fair skin and dark eyes as he peeked below the leaf at him.
    He said, "Oh, hello, Chen. Food?"
    Looking at the vines, he said, "Uh... yeah. How long've you been up there?"
    "Hm," he said in the innocent, clueless way that made him want to hug him. "I'm not sure. I planted some more... and watered some things. Are you hungry?"
    Chen rolled his eyes and adjusted the two paper bags in his arms. He would offer to cook for when he'd been the one to go grocery shopping. "No," he said. "It wouldn't be right. Besides it's only noon. I can make you some lunch though."
    He leaned further and Chen flinched. "If you keep leaning you're going to fall... and I really can't handle someone getting splatted today." If he did fall he probably float or something... or the vines would catch him. He cringed. Those vines seriously creeped him out.
    Yixing said, "Oh, don't worry, silly. I'm not going to fall. I have great balance."
    "Mhm..." He looked at bag one, then bag two. "Ok, I need to get the cold stuff put up. Are you sure you don't want any thing?" Yixing had disappeared from view when he looked up.
    "I'm good. Thank you any way though."
    He pressed his lips together. Yixing had been the only person he'd ever met who could be described as infuriatingly kind. So far he'd expressed his emotions honestly and said he disliked conflict. However, with his skill in magic, he pitied to fool who made him need to defend himself.
    Watching the vines he side-walked to the door. The bags crinkled as he set them on the concrete carport. When he unlocked the door it swung open and slammed in to the wall. His hand hung there and slowly he shook his head. He turned and yelled, "Yixing."
(
    "What do you mean you don't know a repair spell," Luhan said to Yixing.
    Chen had propped his head on a hand and boredly watched the conversation.
    Yixing had dressed in a pair of white jeans, a silver shirt made of flowing thin material, that tied on one side, and silver slip-ons. He stood at the bread rack with his hands clasped. He said apologetically, "I'm sorry. I know how to repair kitchen-ware, and wooden things and concrete things, and other things." He scratched his arm. "But metal doesn't agree with me."
    Chen put his head in his arms and laughed. His words were muffled as he said, "This is so ridiculous. I can't believe you can't do magic on metal." He sat up to look at him. Yixing's expression hadn't changed, like he'd long accepted his quirk.
    "What I want to know is why you cursed my door in the first place."
    Gasping, he put a hand to his chest. "I did no such thing." Looking prim, he said, "And it's my door to."
    He lifted an eyebrow. "And if you didn't curse my door, then who did?"
    "It's not cursed."
    "Well, probably not now. It's been fulfilled... by slamming in to my wall."
    Yixing crossed his arms. "Our wall."
    Luhan snorted. "You two obviously have some issues to work out. I'll just... go somewhere not here. I have to get my tools anyway." He left to go to his truck.
    Chen looked up as Yixing stood over him. "What's wrong with you," he demanded, but it's soft tone made him smile. "Stop it. Do you not want me as a roommate?"
    "Of course I do." He looked at his hands on his hips. "Seriously, though, dude, what is it with you and silver today?"
    "I like silver. It's pretty."
    "Riiiight. And you're a man."
    "Men can be pretty to."
    "If you say so." He heard footsteps and grinned. "I mean, just look at Luhan."
    Luhan came in looking very not happy. "I heard that and I'm going to kill you." He had a small face, small eyes, thin body that should've been muscular with his athletic obsession, but he barely managed being toned. His fair, flawless complexion looked amazing with high cheekbones. Basically, it'd been said he looked prettier than most girls- and he hated it.
    Chen held his hands up until Luhan removed a wrench from his tool-belt, then he ran and locked himself in the bathroom.
(
    So, Chen ended up with two messed up doors, and two annoyed friends. Luhan said he'd be back when he felt like it, which meant he needed to get another friend to fix his door(s). With Yixing, at first, he didn't realize. Electronic devices malfunctioned or quit working, things started leaking - for him. For Yixing it worked fine and he didn't slip on water.
    It's when he saw an unfamiliar glint in his eyes that it clicked. He said in warning, "Yiiiiiixiiiiiing." What had he said: "He pitied the fool who forced him to defend himself?" Yixing's eyes focused him over the top of his tea mug. The steam gave him a dangerous aura.
    And he had the audacity to lower it and widen his eyes innocently, and then say, "But, I didn't do any thing. Are you going to accuse me of this to?"
    Chen's eyes widened in shock when he smirked, and then Yixing's eyes become focused again. Had he been faking the innocent personality all along? Did he know him at all? "Blame you of this to," Chen said. "I haven't blamed you for any thing."
    "Sure you haven't," he said calmly enough to make the hair on his arms stand up. He felt the impulse to use the tiny amount of magic he'd learned, but causing a breeze or making a hovering water bubble wouldn't cut it.
    "Is there something you want to tell me?"
    That innocence came back with a pout. "You made fun of me for not being able to use magic on metal." He looked away.
    He laughed at the ridiculousness. "That's why you've been torturing me for a week?"
    With a single nod, he said, "Yes."
    "And you expect me to apologize?"
    Another nod. "Yes."
    "I hadn't been making fun of you if that's what you think."
    Silence, and he still hadn't looked at him.
    If Chen hoped to enjoy coffee or a decent shower OR cook any time soon, then he had to up his pride and apologize. "Fine. I'm sorry, ok? I really wasn't making fun of you. I thought it was..."
    He snickered, which made Yixing glare at him. Quickly, he said, "I thought it was adorable. Like- Like pretty. Like you liking silver. You like colors, I like cuteness- adorableness- whatever. Same difference."
    Yixing squinted at him. "How is something the same, but different?" He'd come from China, so unless he explained new sayings, he didn't get it. He explained and it didn't help, because he didn't like it, which Chen also found adorable. Yes, his roommate had his quirks, and he'd be more cautious of them.
    Apparently, he didn't like being laughed at, joking or no.
(
    Luhan had met Minseok three years ago, at a charity basketball game - go figure. He'd participated, while Minseok had watched on with - you guessed it - him. And Luhan had actually spotted him from the court - hidden behind a ton of taller people. Both he and Minseok hadn't grown beyond five-four - well, Chen had reached five-four - and pore Minseok had barely made it to five-three. Any, Luhan had found them after the game and he and Minseok had hit it off.
    Fast forward three years and he'd become his shadow. They were rarely seen apart. How sweet Minseok could put up with a taller-than-him (five-seven), hyper, clingy individual, he'd never know. When he said clingy he meant it. Luhan literally held Minseok like a baby (while sober), much to his dislike.
    He latched on to him like a monkey (when drunk), which he didn't mind. Those two denied being in a relationship, which: bull.
    Who were they trying to fool?
    Setting all that... , aside. Minseok had invited him, with a sulking Luhan to lunch. They met at the local lake - the man made, third roundest lake in Keida (their moderate size state). They sat on the grass, feeding bread to the geese. Once again, Chen had been forced to apologize.
    He rolled his eyes, crossed his arms and said, "Fine. I'm sorry." Luhan wasn't upset like Yixing had been. He liked to win. Once he apologized he smiled like he'd one a million bucks. " face." He grinned and Chen rolled his eyes. "Sometimes I question my choice in friends- except for Minseok.
    Minseok smiled and Chen studied him. He'd once been a little overweight for his size and had round cheeks. Now, his face had distinguished maturely and he'd worked out to get arm muscles - and a freaking tight six pack. Sometimes it disgusted him, not that he wasn't in shape, but his angular shape only allowed barely toned.
    While Luhan played like a child on the swings and monkey bars, he told Minseok what Yixing had put him through. "He's scary. I never realized it before. I mean... I knew he could be, but I didn't think... I never realized how much until I saw it." He cleared his throat.
    Minseok said, "So, are you regretting letting him be a roommate?"
    He shook his head. "Naw. I think he's..." He looked around, like Yixing would appear. "...adorable." And then he laughed.
    "What's it like having a magical roommate? I mean, your magic is... minimal-" He winced as he smacked his arm.
    "It's not my fault my family didn't nurture my magic. They're mostly... psychics or mediums. I'm so glad I don't get vision or see ghosts."
    "Don't mediums see through the veil, and not see actual ghosts?"
    His lips parted and his eyes flicked up. He looked at him. "Maybe. I didn't care enough to retain that information."
    Minseok grinned and Chen smiled at his little teeth. He said, "Why don't you get Yixing to teach you magic... or, you know, help you improve... or whatever?"
    "I thought about it, but-"
    Grinning again, Minseok said, "-but he scares the out of you."
    He nodded, very seriously, which made him laugh.
(

Ending Of Chapter Note:
NEW CHAPTER COMING SOON (I'm on a roll)!
The part with the lake being the third rounded lake, man made, is actually a thing in my town, plus feeding the geese.
My mom's dog, Lilly, loved to stretch her neck out and check out the geese, and she also does it to beg for food.  It's so cute.
PS:
Whose You're Favorite Character So Far?

~ Demitria_Teague (Author)