Snippets

Some Ways Down The Road

The night was a little chilly. The moon was full and the stars were clearly twinkling in the sky. The wave splashing on the shore made a soothing sound. It was relaxing.

The grainy sand served as Yong Hwa and Shin Hye’s bed. They've been lying on the sand for some time now. Shin Hye’s eyes were closed as she listened to the music the waves made. Yong Hwa on the other hand was staring at the stars, wondering if he was looking at dead stars.

It was a weekend. Yong Hwa took his grandmother’s new car for a spin. He pulled Shin Hye for a road trip and after driving for hours, they decided to rest at the beach they passed by hours ago.

“My back’s aching!” Shin Hye laugh was lively. She turned to Yong Hwa and giggled. One of the reason why they decided to relax on the beach was because of Shin Hye’s back ache. Sitting inside the car for hours did that to her back. “I’m gonna die…”

“Yah! You’re not going to die.” Yong Hwa tried to get up, but he plopped back down on the sand. His surroundings spun and he felt funny. It must be because of the “special cigars” they smoked earlier.

The cigar was given to Shin Hye by one of her father’s friends. A shady ahjussi, but a kind one. Her father’s friend advised her to sell the cigars if ever she needed money.

“My back…” Shin Hye whined. “It hurts. I’m going to dddiiiiieeee…”

Yong Hwa laughed as he reached for her hand. It was so unlike Shin Hye to whine. “Yah! I told you, you’re not going to die.” He squeezed her hand and smiled at her. “I won’t let you. You can’t die before I do.”

“Let’s die together!” Shin Hye’s eyes twinkled with mischief. She stood up shakily and dusted the grains of sand off of her clothes and hair.

“What the?” Yong Hwa closed his eyes while standing up. It helped him find his balance. Shin Hye was offering her hand when he opened is eyes. He looked at her hand quizzically. The thing they smoked a while ago must have affected her brain. Otherwise she wouldn’t casually want to hold hands.

“Hand! Give me your hand!” Shin Hye demanded with urgency. Seeing Yong Hwa was not moving, she grabbed his hand and grinned. “Let’s run to the sea!”

“What?”

“Come on! Let’s go! On three!” Shin Hye looked very excited. “One… Two… Three!”

Yong Hwa found himself running with her. She was laughing the whole time. The way her hair moved by the wind, the way she laughed, the warmth of her hand and the way her eyes lit up will forever be imprinted on Yong Hwa’s mind.

The water was cold. Shin Hye shrieked when her feet touched the water. Yong Hwa laughed at her and pulled her deeper into the sea. Their rambunctious laughter echoed and livened the peaceful night.

A strong wave knocked them down and separated them. Yong Hwa was the first to emerge from the water. He turned 360 degrees to look for Shin Hye, but she wasn’t anywhere. He frantically searched for her. He kept shouting her name over and over again. He felt his knees turned weak as unpleasant thoughts crept in his mind. They were just having fun moments ago. But now, things might turn into a nightmare.

Laughter mixed with the sound of the waves reached Yong Hwa’s ears. He searched for the sound’s location. He then spotted Shin Hye’s head bobbing in and out of the water.

“Yah! Why didn’t you answer me when I called your name?” Yong Hwa trudged to her location angrily. He pulled a laughing Shin Hye up. “Why didn’t you answer me?" He grabbed both of her arms and he shook her. "Why?” 

“You looked funny.” Shin Hye looked unfazed by Yong Hwa’s anger. “I can’t stand up. It was funny.” She laughed heartily.

“Do you know how worried I was?” He looked at her sharply. Anger isn’t even close to describe what he was feeling that moment. It was a mix of anger, worry, frustration and fright. “I thought you dro… I, you…”

Shin Hye saw something in Yong Hwa’s eyes that told her she’s in trouble. “I’m sor- umpf!” She suddenly found herself enveloped in a tight hug.

“Don’t ever do that again, please.” Yong Hwa said almost in a whisper. He closed his eyes and tightened his hold on her more. After Shin Hye nodded, he loosened his arms around her a little.

It was a cold night. Shin Hye knew she should be shivering because of her wet clothes and the cold wind. But at that moment she felt so warm and serene. The feel of Yong Hwa’s arms around her made her feel protected. And it was comforting.

***

Once a month, Uee wishes she wasn’t born with the XX chromosome. Her abdomen feels like it was being punched. She knew she should’ve stayed home. But to see A.N.Jell play music in front of a crowd for the first time was hard to pass.

She’s been sitting inside one of the comfort room’s cubicle for some time now. She clutched her stomach and grimaced as she felt a kick-like pain shoot on her abdomen. Goodness how she loathes menstrual cramps. Why does she have to suffer from this, especially on the day of their school’s festival?

She was about to get out of the cubicle when she heard two people talking about her go inside the comfort room.

“That girl has no shame!” A girl with a squeaky voice hissed. “And to think she came from a good wealthy family.”

“I know right? I hate that Uee! Hey, have you heard that she went to our oppa’s house and introduced herself to his mother?” A girl with a fake cutesy voice asked. “She’s throwing herself to our oppa.”

Uee heard the comfort room’s door open, signalling someone coming in again. For about five seconds the two girls were silent.

“Our poor oppa can’t do anything.” The girl woth a squeaky voice whined.

“He’s such a gentleman.” The girl with a fake voice stated dreamily. “If I were him…” Her voiced suddenly dripped with malice “I would’ve thrown that Uee out our house. I bet our Geun Suk oppa noticed her fakeness.”

“Sooooo fake! Just like her nose!”.

“Not just her nose. Word is, she has to visit a plastic surgeon weekly. If not, her face would melt and sag because of all the plastic surgery she had! Eeewww!”

The two girl laughed annoyingly. Their laughter grated Uee’s ear. Yes, she’s from a wealthy family. She gets everything she wants. Some people hate her for that. And she’s a go-getter. Does going after what you want make you shameless?

 Geun Suk was the first person Uee truly liked. He’s different from other people. He treats her the way he treats other people. He doesn’t give her any special treatment unlike most people, especially those who knew of her family background. With Geun Suk, she feels like any other normal girl her age.

Uee was about to confront the two girls when she heard a very familiar voice.

“You girls really like to gossip huh?” It was Shin Hye. “Can you tell all of the things you said in Uee unnie’s face?”

“Wha-What?!” One of the girl screeched.

“If you guys only talk about gossip and don’t have anything sensible to say. Just shut your trap”

Uee could imagine how Shin Hye looked like while talking. She bet Shin Hye’s arms were crossed over her chest while looking disapprovingly at the two girls. And the tone of her voice, it was condescending.

 “And between you guys, you two are the fake ones." Shin Hye snorted. "At least Uee unnie doesn’t pretend to be someone she’s not.”

“Wha… Who are you to talk to us like that!?” The squeaky voiced girl sounded angry.

“I’m her friend.” Shin Hye replied.

Uee can’t believe at what she heard. She never thought Shin Hye would consider her as a friend. After all the mean things she had said to her in the past, her pettiness and her jealousy with Geun Suk’s affection. She never expected that Shin Hye regarded her as a friend.

Tears fell down Uee’s cheek. She doesn’t know if it’s because of the pain or because for the first time, someone called her a friend.

***

Dark aura clouded over Shin Hye. People on the street were avoiding her as if sensing the murderous thoughts running in her mind. She was beyond irritated at Yong Hwa. He's so childish sometimes, more childish than Hong Ki.

He knew she has to study for a critical subject. If she fails on that, she might lose the scholarship their school awarded her. And she can’t afford to lose that. The nerve of that guy demanding that she cook food for him. They have house helpers to do that. And he even reminded her that her father gave her off as payment for his debts. Therefore she’s at his beck and call.

Shin Hye kicked the bus stop pole while cursing Yong Hwa under her breath. Her outburst earned disapproving looks from people.

“Yah! Why did you kick that poor pole?”

Shin Hye turned around and saw Hong Ki smiling amusedly at her.

“Poor pole…” Hong Ki gave a disapproving look at Shin Hye. He came near the pole and patted it as if patting a dog. “Forgive Shin Hye-yah. She’s in a bad mood, it seems.”

“Yah! What are you doing?”

Hong Ki laughed and paced an arm over Shin Hye’s shoulder. “Let me buy you strawberry milk. That might cool your head.”

“Hong Ki-yah, I have to go home.” Shin Hye removed Hong Ki’s arm over her shoulder. “I have to review for a test tomorrow.”

“Come on! We’ll just buy strawberry milk. Come on, please?” Hong Ki imitated Puss in Boots expression, the wide-eyed innocent look. And it proved to be effective because Shin Hye let him buy her strawberry milk.

Spring was definitely in the air. The night was balmy and the crescent moon was smiling down on the people. Shin Hye and Hong Ki leisurely walked while drinking their strawberry milk.

Comfortable is the best word to describe Shin Hye and Hong Ki’s relationship. They’ve known each other longer the most. But they only became close friends when Shin Hye started working for Yong Hwa.

“Shin Hye-yah…” Hong Ki suddenly stopped walking. “You know I like you right?”

Shin Hye nodded. “I like you too, Hong Ki-yah.”

Hong Ki reached for her hand and held it. He looked at her sincerely and smiled tentatively. “Do you like me more than a friend?” That was something he wanted to ask Shin Hye for some time now. The thought of them posibly being together had crossed his mind several times before he finally decided to ask her the question.

Shin Hye stopped mid-way to sipping her strawberry milk. “Why are you asking that kind of question?”

“I like you Shin Hye-yah. I like you more than a friend should.”

Shin Hye looked at a loss for words. She doesn’t quite know how to respond to Hong Ki’s confession. “I…” She withdrew her hand from Hong Ki’s hold. “I… We…” How can she reject his confession without hurting him? “Hong Ki-yah, I… I…”

“You don’t have to answer.” Hong Ki’s eyes were downcast. “I... I think I can’t walk you to the bus stop anymore. I… I’ll be going now.” He turned his back on her and walked away.

Hong Ki knew there’s a big possibility that Shin Hye would reject his confession. He didn't confess to her on a fancy. He deliberated on it before going through with it.  But he didn’t realize it would her so much. That no matter how you prepare for the hurt, it still gets you. 

 They always have fun. They are open with each other and most of all, they are comfortable.

“Hong Ki-yah!” Shin Hye run after him. She stopped him and she looked at him beseechingly. “Hong Ki-yah, we’re friends. I… I value our friendship more than anything. Romantic love, it can fizzle out. But love of friends, more often than not, it lasts forever.”

“I know…” Hong Ki said weakly.

“I don’t want to lose a friend like you.”

“I… Let me just be alone. I’ll be okay tomorrow.” Hong Hi patted Shin Hye’s shoulder before turning his back on her. And for the second time that night, Hong Ki walked away from her.

***

The cafeteria was bustling with students. Geun Suk thanked heavens that he was able to buy food before the influx of people. He was going back to his classroom when he saw Uee standing near the staircase. He quickly turned the other way and took the long way back to his classroom. That girl was starting to annoy him with her following him around.

He was walking on the second floor when he bumped into Hong Ki and Yong Hwa. They greeted each other warmly and Hong Ki suggested that they eat lunch outside. The weather was perfect to eat outside.

They were having fun, talking about their musical dreams and forming a band that Geun Suk didn’t noticed his phone vibrating signaling a message has been received.

“We should join the band competition.” Hong Ki suggested before biting his sandwich.

“For the cultural festival?” Yong Hwa asked.

“Yes. That’ll be fun.” Hong Ki stuffed the rest of his sandwich in his mouth. “Whaftdoyosay?”, he continued while munching.

“Sounds good to me.” Geun Suk was already thinking of what songs to perform. The three of them always talked about doing live performances since they started playing music together.

They were talking excitedly about the song they can perform when Geun Suk’s phone rung. Hong Ki and Yong Hwa noticed the sudden change in Geun Suk’s mood. He immediately scanned the message in his phone after the phone call ended. His face suddenly turned pale white and dropped his phone. He scurried away leaving Hong Ki and Yong Hwa clueless at the sudden change in his behavior. 

Hong Ki picked Geun Suk’s phone and he saw an opened message. His face fell when he read the message.

Geun Suk run swiftly. He must reach the hospital as soon as possible. His mother was rushed to the hospital. She had always been a weak woman. And lately she’s been going in and out of the hospital frequently.

A car screeched to a stop before Geun Suk could cross the street. He was surprised to see that it was Yong Hwa driving the car. 

“Hyung, get in!”

“What the…?”

“Just get in, hyung!” Yong Hwa said urgently

Geun Suk found himself getting inside the car and before he could put his seat belt on, Yong Hwa revved the engine and sped off to the hospital.

“Why did you..?”

“Hong Ki picked your phone and saw the message about your mother.” Yong Hwa informed his hyung. He knew Geun Suk must be wondering why was he suddenly driving a car.

“Whose car is this? Where did you get it?”

“Teacher Park. Hong Ki helped me borrow it.” Yong Hwa answered without taking his eyes off the road.

Geun Suk knew Teacher Park wouldn’t let Yong Hwa borrow his prized car. “Just drop me off the nearest bus stop. And return Teacher Park’s car.” He doesn’t want his friends to get in trouble because of him.

“Hyung, I’m going to take you to KyungHee Medical Center. Me and Hong Ki will take care of Teacher Park later.”

“Yah! Just do as I say.”

“Hyung, I can get you there immediately. I’m a fast driver.” Yong Hwa looked frustrated when the stoplight turned red. “Damn…” He cursed under his breath. “Don’t worry, hyung. We’ll get to your mother in no time.”

“Yah just-”

“Don’t worry about me and Hong Ki. We’ll be fine.” Yong Hwa instantly sped off the moment the light turned green.

“I… Thank you.” Geun Suk sincerely thanked his dongsaeng. He was glad he has friends like Hong Ki and Yong Hwa. It’s rare to meet people like them. And he knew then and there that his friendship with Hong Ki and Yong Hwa goes beyond their common interest in music.

***

Uee looked at Geun Suk incredulously. He was being gentle to her and he was treating her like a royalty. It was disconcerting to see Gen Suk act like that to her. It’s not that she’s not happy with it. In fact, she feels giddy that Geun Suk was being sweet to her. But it’s not natural and it’s not him to be like that. And she can’t help but feel that there’s something wrong.

“Yah! Why are we going to the music room?”

“Just follow me.” Geun Suk said in an unnatural sweet voice.

“Yah! Why are you being like this today?” Uee stopped walking. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Geun Suk pulled Uee with him towards the music room.

“Aren’t you happy I’m holding your hand?” Geun Suk smiled boyishly at her.

If he wasn’t being weird, she would have been completely happy he was willingly holding her hand. But something’s up and she doesn’t have any idea what it was.

“Aish just tell-” Uee wasn’t able to finish what she was about to say. Confetti poppers went pop pop pop when Geun Suk opened the music room’s door.

“Happy birthday!” Shin Hye, Hong Ki and Yong Hwa shouted.

“What? My birthday’s next week.”

“We know you’re off somewhere in the world with your parents on your birthday. Hong Ki suggested we celebrate your birthday early.” Geun Suk said.

“Noona, make a wish before you blow the candle.” Hong Ki was holding the cake in front of her.

Uee closed her eyes and she heard someone play happy birthday on the piano. She opened her eyes and saw it was Yong Hwa playing. 

She blew the candle after making her wish.

Her parents throw her lavish birthday parties every year. But by far, the birthday surprise her friends concocted was the best she ever had.

***

Warm sumptuous food were laid on the table. Shin Hye’s mouth watered just looking at the food in front of her. It’s been so long since she had someone cook food for her.

“Start eating, Shin Hye-yah.” The ahjuma with gentle eyes said. The said ahjuma was Geun Suk’s mother. “Eat.” She smiled at Shin Hye invitingly.

Shin Hye smiled thankfully at her. She was really hesistant to join Geun Suk and his mother for dinner. But Geun Suk insisted that his omma would love to have her join them.

She was walking to the nearby convenience store with the hope that the old ahjuma there would sell her ramen even though she was a little short on money. Her father yet again used up all the money she earned with alcohol. She knew she shouldn’t have believed him when he said that he’ll buy food for them.

In anger and frustration, she drunk two bottles of beer from her father’s newly stacked beer supply. She knew he would get angry at her for doing that. But she has rights to those bottles of beer. It was her hard earned money that bought those.

 She bumped onto Geun Suk before she reached the convinience store. He was running to the convenience store to buy an ingredient for the food his mother was going to cook for their dinner.

He invited her to join them. She declined at first. Then her stomach grumbled loud enough for Geun Suk to hear. She was so embarrassed that she wanted the ground to open up and swallow her.

He insisted she join them, reasoning that his mother would be happy if someone other than her son could taste her superb cooking. And that his mother always cook food more than they could finish. In the end, Shin Hye relented and came with .

“What are you waiting for?” Geun Suk’s mother asked. "Eat."

“I… Please go ahead first. It’s disrespectful to get food before older people.” Shin Hye respectfully reasoned.

“Aish… We don’t follow such rules here at home. Right Sukkie?”

Geun Suk looked embarrassed when his mother called him Sukkie affectionately. “Yes. Just eat, Shin Hye-yah.”

His mother placed a piece of food on top of Shin Hye’s rice. Her mother used to do that when she was younger. She quickly stuffed food in to prevent any waterworks in her eyes. She terribly misses her mother. 

“Shin Hye-yah eat so well.” Geun Suk’s mother praised. She looked so delighted that Shin Hye was eating the food she made.

“Eat as many as you want.” Geun Suk said before eating.

“I wish my Sukkie would marry someone like you.”

Geun Suk almost choked on his food because of his mother’s remark. “What are you saying?”

“I’m just saying, I wouldn’t mind if Shin Hye becomes my own daughter.”

Shin Hye would have laughed awkwardly if wasn’t filled with food.

“My mother liked you very much.” Geun Suk said as he walks Shin Hye to her apartment after dinner.

“I like your mother too. She’s so warm and caring.” Shin Hye smiled wistfully. Geun Suk’s mother was just like her mother. Warm, caring and loving. “You don’t have to walk me home, oppa.”

Geun shook his head. “I want to walk you home. It’s dangerous for a girl like you to walk around these streets alone at night.”

“I can take care of myself, oppa.”

“Why do I have a feeling that you don’t want my company.”

It’s not that Shin Hye doesn’t want his company. It’s just that she knew his mother had been weak lately and she doesn’t want to keep him away from her.

“It’s not that. It’s just that…” Shin Hye felt her stomach lurch.

“Are you okay?” Geun Suk noticed Shin Hye’s discomfort.

“Yes. I’m okay. Just go back home, oppa.” She doesn’t want him to see her vomit the food his mother made. “Go home.” She insisted.

Drinking beer with an empty stomach and overeating seemed like a bad combination. Shin Hye felt the food she just ate shooting up . And before she knew it, she doubled over and threw up.

For the second time that night, she felt embarrassed. Not because it was embarrassing to throw up in front of someone. But because it was the food Geun Suk’s mother made.

“You shouldn’t have eaten so much.” Geun Suk patted her back.

“I’m sorry for throwing up the food your mother made.” Shin Hye looked contrite as she wiped her lips with the back of her hand. “I feel bad. Your mother’s food was wasted on me.”

“Don’t think about that. Next time just don’t overeat okay?”

Shin Hye nodded, but she still felt bad.

“Let’s get you home.” Geun Suk smiled at her before walking forward.

Their walk towards Shin Hye’s apartment was quiet. Geun Suk knew she was still feeling guilty about throwing up the food his mother made.

Sometimes he wished she let other people like him take good care of her. His feelings of wanting to protect her and take good care of her goes beyond of what an oppa should feel. If she would let him, he would make sure she won’t encounter any hardship again. Ever.

“Shin Hye-yah let me take good care of you.”

Shin Hye stopped walking. “Oppa, I can very well take good care of myself.”

“I know.” Geun Suk held her hand. “Still… Let me take good care of you.”

Shin Hye found herself unable to speak for a few seconds. She then laughed like Geun Suk just told a joke. “You’re such a good oppa. Wanting to take care of your dongsaeng well.” She hooked an arm to his arm and smiled at him. “Thank you. But you know, I’m a dongsaeng that takes care of herself well. So don’t worry about me.”

Shin Hye very much knew what Geun Suk meant when he told her to let him take good care of her. She just made light of it so as not to make things awkward between them. She’s thankful to have someone like him in her life. He’s dependable and caring. A very good oppa. An oppa that can charm you with his boyish smile.

Maybe if things were different, she would have opened her heart to him. She already has a lot to deal with. Especially with the problems with her father and the craziness of her ambiguous relationship with Yong Hwa. And she really can’t afford to mess their friendship.

Geun Suk already knew how Shin Hye would respond even before he opened his mouth. She’s very independent and she doesn’t really like to ask others for help. “Well then, take better care of yourself.” He ruffled her hair with his free hand. And they continued walking to her apartment.

That was the closest he got to actually confessing his feelings for her.

***

Music had always been part of Yong Hwa’s life. Growing up, he had piano and clarinet lessons. His grandmother would always have him play the piano when there’s gathering at their house.

His interest in music changed when he happened to hear one of Bon Jovi’s songs. Since then, rock music has been an important part of his life.

His grandmother was against him learning to play the guitar. She’s not much of a fan of loud music. But Yong Hwa went against his grandmother’s will and learned the guitar anyway. Much to his grandmother's chagrin. 

He was walking towards the end of the hall of the music studio when he heard someone rocking out the drums. He peeked inside the room where the sound was coming from and inside he saw a familiar blonde guy. He felt like he had seen the guy somewhere.

“Hey, you!” The blonde guy shouted when he noticed Yong Hwa. “Let’s play music!”

Yong Hwa pointed at himself. Was the blonde guy really talking to him?

“Yes! Let’s play together.” The blonde guy stood up. “We go to the same school. We’re also in the same level. I’m Lee Hong Ki.”

“I’m Jung Yong Hwa.”

“I know. You’re quite popular.” Hong ki walked towards Yong Hwa and shook his hand. “What instrument do you play?”

“Guitar.”

“Good! We can practice together! It’ll be fun.” Hong Ki was very enthusiastic.

Yong Hwa was a little bit overwhelmed by Hong Ki’s friendliness. Even though they go to the same school, they haven’t formally met until now.

“Come on! It’s fun to play music with someone.” Hong Ki draped an arm around Yong Hwa’s shoulder. “Let’s not be awkward. We’re same age friends, right?”

That was how everything started between Yong Hwa and Hong Ki.

It was also during one of their jamming sessions when Yong Hwa met Geun Suk, a senior in their school, a year older than them. Things were awkward between Yong Hwa and Geun Suk at first. But as they played music, they got to know each other more. The three would often meet to practice, playing their instruments together. And that was how the A.N.Jell band was formed.

Music binded them. And through music, they found each other.

 

AN: Dundundundun..... This Snippet was a little bit different and longer than the first one I posted here. Damn! I still feel bad that i didn't saved the first before posting it here. And it's weird I had a hard time rewriting this. It should have been easy because I already know the flow of each mini-story. Every snippet here is a stand alone story and it's not in chronological order.

Anyway, I'm already finished with the draft for the next chapter. It's still in a jumble, though. And I'm really busy with some other things right now. So I don't really know when I can edit/finalize it. But I hope to post the next one next week or maybe this weekend.