Issues

Some Ways Down The Road

Soft music aded the hole in the wall bar near Hongdae. The soft lighting made the bar’s atmosphere comfortable. People looked well at ease. Jin Woon was thankful Shin Hye took him to a comfortable bar without loud music and noisy people.

Due to an unforeseen happening at work, Jin Woon had to ask Shin Hye to move their meeting at a later time. He had to tell Seohyun a lame story  about needing the flower shop’s phone number. Good thing was she didn’t questioned him.

Shin Hye was very understanding when he told her about the situation. For requesting to move their meet-up time, Jin Woon offered to buy her drinks instead. He thought he can wheedle information he needed when she’s under the spell of alcohol. He wants SeoHyun to be at ease and not worry about an unnecessary thing like her boyfriend’s awkwardness with someone.

They’ve been seating on bar stools in front of the bar counter for 30 minutes now and within that time frame, all Shin Hye heard from Jin Woon was about SeoHyun. She realized that the man sitting next to her likes SeoHyun. But it was also apparent that he was resigned to his fate as a best friend only to SeoHyun.

“Why? Why are you smiling like that?” Jin Woon looked befuddled. Why was Shin Hye smiling knowingly at him?

“You like her. SeoHyun, I mean.”

“What? No! No! No!” Jin Woon hotly denied. He downed the bottle of beer in one go and ordered a shot of Jack afterwards.

Shin Hye gave him a sympathetic smile and patted his shoulder. She never had a one sided love, but she understands how frustrating and painful it can be.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.”

“No. I…” And Jin Woon started unloading his feelings and pent-up frustrations. “I… I’m sorry about this. I…” Maybe its the alcohol, the bar’s ambiance or Shin Hye’s just really comfortable to be with that he found himself talking about things he never thought he’d talk about.

Shin Hye smiled understandingly at him. “Well then maybe you need to get out more and meet people.”, she suggested. “Ah!” She had a lightbulb moment. “Let’s try something I saw in a TV show.”

She turned to the woman sitting next to her and introduced herself.

“I’m Kim Hyo Yeon.” The woman introduced herself in return. She looked weirded out, but she was accommodating.

“Are you alone or dating someone?

Hyo Yeon looked hesitant but answered her anyway. It was a yes and no.

“Well then, I’d like you to meet a friend of mine. He’s a nice guy and I think you two will hit it off nicely.” Shin Hye smiled at the woman who was looking at her like she’s some crazy lady. “Haaavvveee you met Jin Woon?”

The two stranger greeted each other awkwardly.

***

Jae Jung's family were playing building blocks when he arrived. It had been a hard day at work. Employees got wind that the company was planning to layout some people and it’s causing unrest to some and stress to him. Not to mention, it seems like the company’s target revenue for that month won’t be met. And it’s causing the management a terrible headache.

“Appa!” Hye Yi, his eldest daughter shouted in glee when she saw him. She jupmed on him and latched her arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Aigoo, my little Hye Yi’s gotten heavier.” He kissed his daughters cheek. He put her down and ruffled the hair of his youngest child, Mi Soo who was focused on her blocks.

“Oppa, have you eaten?” Uee asked before kissing Jae Jung on the cheek.

“Yeah.” Jae Jung nodded. “But I would love to have tea after I change.” He kissed her on the cheek before going to their room to change clothing.

The first thing he saw when he entered their room were paper bags of high class clothing brands and designer shoes. He exasperatedly untied his neck tie and unceremoniously threw it on their bed and sighed. How many times does he have to talk to his wife about her spending habits? She really can’t grasp the idea of spending money wisely.


“Kids, go to your rooms now.” Jae Jung looked impatient as he spoke while coming down the stairs.

Uee looked at her husband who seemed irritated. She hurried their little girls upstairs and gave him a questioning look. He was in a good mood just moments ago.

“The items in our bedroom…” Jae Jung closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Didn’t we already discussed about lessening your spending?”

“Yes, so?”

“Then why did you buy many designer items again?”

Uee looked at him like he had grown some horns or something. “We have money.” She shrugged.

“We already agreed that you’d budget our money.” He was looking more and more exasperated.

Budget doesn’t really exist in Uee’s vocabulary. She grew up in a very wealthy household. She can get anything she wanted in a blink of an eye.

“That’s what I did. I didn’t buy items higher than two million won.”

“That’s not budgeting!” He said through gritted teeth. His patience was wearing thin. “If your budget is 2 million won, you buy everything you want within that range. Not buy different items under 2 million won.”

“Why do I even need to budget again?” Uee looked irritated too. “We have a lot of money.”

“Money doesn’t fall from the sky. There should be a limitation with your spending!” Jae Jung’s voice rose.

“We have money! My parents have money. If you don’t want me to spend our money then I’ll just ask my parents for some!”

“Yes! Go run to your parents for money!” Jae Jung was fuming. Uee knows that he doesn’t like it when she asks anything from her parents since they got married.

“Oh yes, I will!” Uee turned her back on him and stomped her way up to their room. When it comes to spending money, it seems like they can’t see each other eye to eye.

Jae Jung took several deep breaths to dispel irritation and anger. He massaged the back of his neck and sighed. Sometimes it feels like he’s living with three spoiled children.

***

Yong Hwa searched for his friends at the bar. Hong Ki said they were seated at the bar’s counter, but he can’t see them. A familiar mop of hair caught his attention at the far end of the bar. It was Hong Ki for sure. He knows that blonde hair anywhere.

Yo!” Yong Hwa greeted his friends before sitting down.

“Where’s SeoHyun?” Jae Jung asked.

Yong Hwa sighed. “She got irritated with me. She went home early. Uee noona?”

Jea Jung just shrugged and downed his tequila. He invited them for drinks to clear his head from his recent argument with his wife.

“Aish look at you two.” Hong Ki shook his head and made a tsk tsk-ing sound. “Women problems.”

“Geun Suk hyung’s not coming?” Yong Hwa asked.

“You know that man. He only makes an appearance once in a blue moon. He said he has a major operation to do tomorrow.” Hong Ki informed.

“Yong Hwa-yah as a hyung, I want to give you an advice.” Jae Jung looked a little bit tipsu. “Don’t spoil SeoHyun.”

“Ah hyung, I don’t spoil her.”

“Really?” Hong Ki raised an eyebrow. “You do everything she tells you.”

“No, I don’t” Yong Hwa denied. “We're here to accompany Jae Jung hyung. Were not here to talk about me and SeoHyun.” He raised his hand to get one of the waiter’s attention.

After several shots of tequila, bottles of beer and glasses of iced tea, Jae Jung felt a little better and a little bit light headed.

“Hyung, Uee noona has always been like that. She’s spoiled. She gets everything she wants.” Hong Ki snickered. “Except one, Geun Suk hyung.” Alcohol must have gotten to his brain.

Yong Hwa elbowed Hong Ki and glared at him. “Hyung, please excuse this insensitive fool.”

Jae Jung waved his hand in a dismissive manner. Even before he got involved with Uee, he already knows that she liked for Geun Suk. He also knows that she still has feelings for Geun Suk when they started dating.

“About Geun Suk, it’s not a secret.” Jae Jung drank his tequila in one go. “Besides, I’m the one she married.”

“Hyung, if Uee nonna wasn’t knocked up, would you still have married her.” Hong Ki asked.

“Yes.” Jae Jung answered without hesitation. “If we didn’t end up together, I’d still probably be by her side as an oppa she can depend on. Just having her by my side’s enough.”

“You know what you got yourself into so be more patient with her. She’s spoiled and haughty sometimes. But Uee noona has a big heart. She’ll come to understand you eventually.” Hong Ki didn’t looked drunk when he spoke.

Yong Hwa smiled at Hong Ki. Even though he’s carefree and childish sometimes, out of all of them, he’s the one who truly understands each one of them the most.

“Hyung, listen to Hong Ki. He’s speaking in tongues. It’s not everyday that he’s serious.” Yong Hwa joked.

“Yah!” Hong Ki shouted in indignation. And they laughed at themselves and their problems with women.

***

Uee sat in the corner with her arms crossed over her chest. She was still stewing over the argument she had with her husband last night. Money had been a frequent subject of their arguments and it’s starting to frustrate her. They have a lot of money so why does he have to regulate her spending?

“Unnie, if you continue frowning, you’ll have wrinkle lines on your forehead.” Shin Hye said as she set tea on the table. Uee would sometimes visit her at the flower shop, especially when she’s bored.

“Shin Hye-yah, I really feel bad arguing with Jae Jung oppa. Fighting about money’s really foolish.” Uee sighed and took the cup of tea Shin Hye offered. “We don’t have money problems, but we’re always arguing about it. And my parents are more than happy to gives us everything we need.”

Shin Hye sighed. If there’s one thing Uee can’t grasp is that money’s not infinite and it’s earned through hard work. She can’t blame her about her mindset about money though. Uee’s family is filthy rich and she had never lifted a finger to work since she was born. “Unnie, have you looked at this issue on your husband’s perspective?”

Uee shook her head. "Not really..."

“Think things through in his perspective. Think about his pride and feelings. Unnie, your lucky to be born in a wealthy family. You never had to work your whole life. But for other people not as privileged as you, money means more than just for luxury.”

Uee looked deep in thought. “I know. It’s just that knowing we have more than enough makes me careless with spending, I admit. I should apologize for the things I said last night huh?”

Shin Hye nodded before sipping her tea.

***

Bad things kept happening for Jae Jung that day. The worker’s union is planning to make a protest against the company’s plan to lay off some employees. The company can’t afford to delay the production of their goods because it will not only affect the company itself but also their clients.

As if work troubles aren’t enough, Jae Jung bumped into Uee’s father who indirectly criticized him about not providing enough for his family. And his father-in-law unwittingly divulged that his wife asked them for money a month ago.

His pride took a beating and he somehow felt belittled.

Uee arrived home late. She drove her mother to the airport because her father had an important meeting that day and no one will see her off.

The first person she saw when she entered their house was her husband. He was sitting in the couch in their living room. He looked looked angry about something.

“Oppa, your early.” Uee was about to kiss him when Jae Jung moved his head away from her. “What’s wrong?”

“What’s wrong? What’s wrong?!” Jae Jung suddenly stood up and faced his wife. “I told you so many times before never to ask money from your parents again! And what did you do?!”

“What are you talking about?”

“The 100 million won you asked your father to give you, what did you do with it?”

The way Jae Jung asked the question sent shiver down Uee’s spine. The entire years they’ve been together, that was the first time her husband spoke to her like that. His voice was like cold steel.

“O-oppa-”

“What?!”

Uee flinched. She doesn’t know what to tell him. It’s true she asked her father to give her money. But she didn’t use the money for herself.

“Aren’t you going to talk?!” Jae Jung paused to control his emotions. He doesn’t want their kids to hear them fighting. “Do you know how it feels to be told that what I’m doing is not enough for my family? Our family!” His voice finally rose. “How many times do I have to drill in that brain of yours that you can’t just ask money from your parents on a whim now that we’re married! Do you know it’s a man’s pride to be able to provide well for his family? And you!” He pointed an acusing finger at her, “You will never understand that!”

Uee’s blood pressure rose when Jae Jung pointed at her. So this is all about his pride. She was going to apologize to him for being stubborn and insensitive last night. But with the turn of events, an apology won’t be coming from her. How dare he shout at her.

“You and your damn pride!! It's all about your pride!” She won’t stay quiet while he berates her. “Yes, you’re right I’ll never understand. You shouldn’t have married someone like me.”, she continued through gritted teeth.

“Yes! You’re right! I wouldn’t have married you if-” Jae Jung caught himself before completing his sentence. He saw the hurt in his wife’s eyes. He didn’t mean what he almost said. He was caught up in the moment that he alsmost said something he knew would hurt his wife.

Unshed tears started to glaze Uee’s eyes. “Get out.” The way she talked was as cold as the glaciers in Antarctica. “Get out!” Her voice gradually increased until she was shouting. “Get out! Get out of my house!”

 

AN: Have you met Jin Woon’s a reference to HIMYM’s have you met Ted lol.

It feels like it's been an eternity since I've updated whew! Well I'm going to be busy in these coming days so I might not be able to update this weekly like before. Also, I'm trying to re-write Snippets. I just remembered I was going to tie a future chapter in one of the mini-story there. Anyway, I hope to finish Uee and Jae Jung's story soon. I want to move on with the next character's story.