Chapter 2

Under These Bright Stage Lights (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #3) {Hiatus!}

 

 

Yixing

 

Yixing’s jaw dropped as he stared at his boss. Surely, Lee Soo Man had to be joking.

 

“But Teacher!” He protested, “Surely, there is a better course of action than lying!” Lee Soo Man shook his head.

 

“Perhaps you haven’t looked at the comments, Yixing.” He said, “But half of the comments already show the public is convinced that you two are dating. Some fans have already uncovered things from your trainee days together. It will not be long before they begin filling in the blanks on their own and rumors spiral out of control due to their wild imaginations.” Yixing groaned. It was true, Ruolan had been a trainee at SM for a few years. And for some time, Yixing and Ruolan had been...close, to say the least, and hence there were photos and videos of them floating around from that time. He hadn’t thought much about it when he took pictures back in the day, but now it was too late to regret it. Yixing pinched the bridge of his nose before sighing.

 

“Is there truly no other option?” He asked weakly, already knowing what the answer was going to be. Lee Soo Man levelled his gaze at Yixing.

 

“Well of course there is.” He answered, “Both sides could deny everything, allow the fans to think as they’d like. At the most extreme, your fans will paint Ruolan as a vixen who seduced their idol, and her fans will blame you in return for seducing theirs. Take your pick, Zhang Yixing.” Yixing gulped. While perhaps the older man was likely exaggerating, there was some truth in his words. Fans had quite a wild imagination, and reactions to things like dating were highly unpredictable. One wrong move could lead to the end of his career, and Ruolan’s as well.

 

“Very well.” He said quietly, “I will do it.” As soon as the words left his mouth, there was a knock on the door, and Park Jin Young entered the room, followed closely by Ruolan. Lee Soo Man smiled and stood to bow and shake the other man’s hand.

 

“You have arrived just in time.” He said.

 

____________________________________________________________________________


 

Later that day at the SM building, Ruolan

 

Ruolan slumped against the wall in the hallway outside Lee Soo Man’s office, her hand loosely clutching the contract in her hand. It was barely past noon, but already she felt exhausted, as if all her energy had been sapped by the past few hours of conversation. The contract she held tied her to an agreement to act as Yixing’s girlfriend for one year until a week after their first dating anniversary. As a couple, SM and JYP would arrange for them to attend events and interviews together, and they would go out on dates every other week. Their companies were going to release a joint statement today, framing the issue in a way to show that the couple had administrative support and permission to be together. Ruolan could only hope that the netizen backlash would not be too extreme. She straightened up as footsteps approach, and she heard a deep sigh as Yixing approached. For a moment, both singers gazed at each other, unreadable expressions flickering across their faces.

 

“Why?” Ruolan said quietly after a few more moments. Yixing raised an eyebrow.

 

“Why what?” He asked. Ruolan clenched her hands tightly.

 

“Why is it always you?” She asked, “Nothing ever goes right with my career when I run into you.” Yixing narrowed his eyes.

 

“Do not make it sound like I wanted this either.” He replied, “I did nothing wrong, and all of a sudden I have to pretend I have a girlfriend!” Ruoaln crossed her arms.

 

“What were you doing at the hotel anyway?” She demanded, “Why did you have to act so suspiciously?”

 

“Then what were you doing there?” Yixing countered, “You weren’t moving openly either!” Ruolan narrowed her eyes.

 

“I was going to see an MV director.” She replied, “I had a chance to star in the MV, but who knows what will happen now.” Yixing was silent for a moment as he turned her words over in his head, then he sighed and leaned against the wall behind him.

 

“I was going to see Luhan.” He said softly.

 

“Then why were you acting so suspiciously?” Ruolan demanded. Yixing frowned.

 

“I wish you would stop acting like a petulant child.” He said, “You know the way the media sees Luhan here. If reporters catch wind that he is in Korea, he won’t even be able to leave the hotel doors! He was only stopping by briefly and wanted to see me, so why would it be wrong for me to avoid making it obvious?” Ruolan’s grip loosened, her cheeks flushing slightly in embarrassment as Yixing’s words sunk in. There was some truth to what he said. Ever since leaving Exo, Luhan’s presence in Korea was always a more or less sensitive topic, drawing the ire of some people and the delight of others. But regardless of the reaction on the internet, Luhan’s presence alone was sure to attract heavy media attention just for stepping foot into the country. It was only natural that he wanted to fly under the radar. All he wanted to do was see his friend; in comparison, blaming Yixing for this mess seemed selfish and childish. It was not wrong for friends to see each other. Ruolan sighed and closed her  eyes briefly before speaking again. There truly was no other choice but to let events flow naturally.

 

“When is our first date?” She asked, “If we are going to put on an act, we should start as soon as possible.”

 

“In two days.” Yixing replied, “After our first interview with Dispatch talking about our relationship and how we came to date.”

 

“Where?” Ruolan queried.

 

“I will find a place.” Yixing replied, “Not too public, but somewhere visible. I will pick you up from your schedule.” He stepped forward towards Ruolan.

 

“So do we have an agreement?” He asked. Ruolan scoffed.

 

“Like it or not, Zhang Yixing, both of our signatures are on this contract.” She replied, “For better or worse, we are tied to each other for a year.” Yixing smirked, and Ruolan squeaked in surprise as he flicked the bottom of her chin lightly with his finger.

 

“Then smile a little.” He said, “People are watching. Remember, we have done nothing wrong.” Ruolan smirked and slipped her hand into his.

 

“Then, I expect you to keep up a good performance too.” She answered, “My loving boyfriend.” Yixing seemed startled for a moment, then smiled in amusement. He leaned down so that their faces were merely inches apart.

 

“Two can play at that game, Huang Lan’er.” Yixing murmured softly. Ruolan felt grow dry. The pet name was sweet, both Yixing’s tone and body language that of a caring boyfriend. At the same time though, his eyes held no emotion, as if he was staring at a blank wall. Still, Ruolan’s heart skipped a beat as she resisted the urge to back away from him.

 

“In that case, if you will excuse me.” She replied, and hurried away from Yixing before her emotions showed on her face. She could hear Yixing chuckle softly as she hurried down the hall.

 

He’s just toying with me, Ruolan reminded herself, Don’t get carried away, Huang Ruolan.

 

Still, Yixing had changed in the past six years. He was no longer simply an innocent boy wishing to stand on stage. He was a man, a performer with a heart and body perfectly tuned to catch the eyes of those who came to watch him. From the brilliance in his eyes to his long slender fingers and toned dancer’s legs to the soft quirk of his lips when he was amused, Zhang Yixing had become ridiculously captivating. Ruolan gulped and brushed away the memory of their close proximity just a few moments earlier.

 

He’s a dangerous creature.

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

Two days later, Ruolan

 

Ruolan’s fingers trembled slightly as she clenched her hands tightly together in front of her. Tears filled her eyes as she looked at Lee Soo Man.

 

“What did you just say?” She whispered. The older man looked at her apologetically.

 

“I am sorry, Ruolan.” He said, “There are too many rumors attached to your name around the company right now. I’m afraid I will have to ask you to leave.” Ruolan staggered slightly as the words sank in.

 

“You’re kicking me out?” She asked, feeling numb, “Then what about Yixing?” Lee Soo Man clasped his hands on the table in front of him calmly.

 

“He will be debuting in our upcoming boy group in less than a year.” He answered. Tears rushed down Ruolan’s cheeks as she shook her head.

 

“Why?” She demanded, “Both of us were involved in this matter, so why am I taking the full brunt of the blame?” Lee Soo Man shook his head.

 

“Have you not heard?” He asked, “Yixing said you were the one who approached him first. He has been here long enough that I trust that he will tell the truth. And in any case, he has been set into this new group for too long to remove him now without major modifications to the group and delaying their debut.”

 

“So you’re choosing to cut your losses by trusting his lie and throwing me away?” Ruolan whispered, her hands clenching tightly at her sides. Lee Soo Man simply sighed.

 

“I am sorry, Ruolan.” He said, “I wish you good luck in your future endeavours.”

 

“Ah!” Ruolan’s eyes flew open as the sound of her alarm blared in her ear, jolting her from her dreams. She sat up slowly in bed and took a look around her to make sure she wasn’t still in Lee Soo Man’s office, six years ago. The bedroom was silent save for Somi’s gentle breathing next to her and the soft chirps of birds heralding the arrival of morning. Ruolan took a few deep breaths to calm her racing heart.

 

“It’s only a dream.” She murmured to herself, “Just a dream.” It had been a long time since she had last dreamed of her last moments in Lee Soo Man’s office, that fateful day when she had been removed from the Red Velvet lineup and the company altogether. Perhaps the recent events were to blame for bringing back those old memories. Ruolan sighed and brushed back a few loose strands of hair from her face. She carefully slipped from her bed and padded out to the apartment balcony. She tilted her head back to let the morning breeze blow her hair back from her shoulders. Surprisingly enough, the response from the public had been more mixed than negative, and some fans even supported the relationship, saying that at almost 27, it was time for Yixing to begin dating. Of course, it had helped that the joint statement from the companies had painted their past as young lovers, forced apart by their dreams, only to be reunited years later and falling deeply in love once again. Still, Ruolan had been kept from her schedule for a few days to avoid the media’s rabid attention, and today was the first day she would be allowed outside the dorm again. The first schedule would be a joint interview with Yixing, detailing their love story and how they came to love each other again. Ruolan had spent the past few days memorizing the perfectly scripted story, to the extent that she could almost repeat it in her sleep.

 

“Rui? You’re up early.” Ruolan turned to see Ye Jin standing behind her, one hand rubbing an eye sleepily. A soft smile turned up the corner of her lips.

 

“Yes, I couldn’t go back to sleep.” Ruolan replied as she stepped back into the dorm and closed the balcony doors behind her, “Are you hungry? I’m going to make breakfast.” Yeji nodded and grinned.

 

“Unnie’s cooking is the best.” She chirped sleepily. Ruolan laughed softly and plunked her fellow member down into a chair at the dining table.

 

“I’ll have it done soon.” She promised. A soft sigh escaped Ruolan’s lips as she cracked an egg into the frying pan. If one year of acting could protect her members and their dreams, then perhaps it would be worth it.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Ruolan could hear the roar of the waiting crowd as her van neared the interview venue. A massive amount of people had showed up to the venue, most of them holding signs. Most of them were her fans, cheering as usual at her appearance. But at the same time, some were very clearly Yixing’s fans. The girls’ faces were covered with face masks, but while some were holding supportive signs, the animosity in many of their eyes was undeniable. Ruolan felt grow dry as she read the cruel messages on some of their signs, and it took all her willpower to tear her eyes away and keep a straight face. As she approached the magazine building, Ruolan suddenly found herself swarmed by reporters who had found their way around security and barreled straight into her path as she stepped away from the safety of her van.

 

“Rui-shi, can you tell us about your relationship with Exo’s Lay?”

 

“What were you two doing at the hotel that night?”

 

“How long have you two really been dating?”

 

“Are you two really dating?”

 

“How have your members responded to this news?”

 

Questions poured into Ruolan’s ears from both sides, overwhelming her within moments. Lightbulbs flashed in her eyes as her manager attempted to shepherd her towards the safety of the building, but the reporters seemed determined to keep her outside. Ruolan turned her head away from the blinding flares of the lightbulbs, but it was little use. It seemed that the company’s tactic of hiding her away only made the reporters all the more intent on getting answers from her. Eventually, Ruolan tripped over the foot of one reporter than had gotten too close, sending her tumbling sideways. Instead of hitting hard concrete though, she found herself caught midair, someone’s strong arm wrapped around her waist. In seconds, Ruolan was pulled back up and pressed against a warm chest, her face and eyes skillfully hidden from the flashing lights. She could feel a strong heartbeat pounding against her cheek, and the arm around her waist tightened protectively as a voice spoke.

 

“I understand that you have your job to do, and expectations from your bosses.” A male voice growled authoritatively, “But I think it would be best for you to at least keep a ten foot boundary around your subject. That, at least, is what a decent human being would do.” As voices began to protest, the voice spoke again.

 

“Whatever answers you want, you will see them in this magazine’s next issue.” It said with an air of finality. Ruolan felt a shiver run down her back.

 

Yixing!

 

Yixing’s hand reached down and squeezed her hand gently.

 

“Let’s go, Lan’er.” He said gently. Ruolan nodded numbly, too shocked by the past few moments to protest. The reporters parted to let them past, as if surprised by Yixing’s actions. Camera flashes continued to go off as they walked, but Yixing hovered a black gloved hand over Ruolan’s eyes, effectively shielding her from the blinding lights. It was not until they finally entered the building that Ruolan finally worked up the nerve to look up at Yixing. Her fake boyfriend’s cheeks were flushed pink from the cold of the oncoming winter, a slight trail of steam blowing from his lips as his breath clouded in the air. But what surprised Ruolan the most was the look in his eyes. There was a dark look in Yixing’s usually kind gaze, like a wolf that was staring down at a challenger after his pack. That gaze was directed at the reporters outside, sending them skittering back from the glass double doors they had been pressed against in an attempt to obtain a proper picture for their articles.

 

“Yixing.” Ruolan said quietly, “You can let go now. I’m okay.” Yixing looked down at her, and for a moment his gaze softened before he cleared his throat.

 

“Don’t be silly.” He said, “I can’t let go while we’re within their eyesight.” Ruolan wanted to frown, but pressed her lips into a tiny smile for image sake. Yixing was back to being the fake, the actor who had been paid to be the loving boyfriend.

 

“That’s true.” She admitted. Yixing’s hand was warm against hers, and for a moment, Ruolan wanted to enjoy the sense of security that it gave her. Then, Yixing pulled her away from the door, their gazes breaking apart, and the momentary security breaking along with it. Ruolan mentally slapped her cheek as she followed Yixing away.

 

Don’t be stupid! He’s just putting on an act!

 

Still though, for a moment, there had seemed to be raw emotion in Yixing’s gaze as he had pulled her to safety from the reporters. The protectiveness of his embrace had seemed to genuine, that Ruolan found it hard to believe that it had just been his acting. They separated at their dressing rooms, and Ruolan closed her eyes as she closed the door behind her and leaned against its cool surface.

 

Huang Ruolan, you must not get carried away.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

Yixing

 

Yixing’s mind wandered as his stylists fussed with his hair and makeup.

 

What was I doing earlier?

 

He hadn’t thought much before he had charged directly into the crowd of reporters to rescue Ruolan. The rookie idol had been like a flower petal pushed along with the waves, first one way, and then another. As he had watched her balance falter, he had moved almost on instinct, barely thinking before pushing the reporters away from Ruolan and catching her in his arms. An inexplicable fury had risen in his chest as he watched Ruolan take the brunt of the reporters’ attacks. Of course, he had faced reporters when he had arrived as well, but for some reason, the media loved to focus on Ruolan’s role in this entire mess more than his own position. It didn’t help that her rookie status and inexperience made her an easy target. Yixing opened his eyes and looked down at his hand. He could still feel the warmth of Ruolan’s smaller hand in his, her long fingers trembling slightly from the tension of the situation. Yet, her face had remained stubbornly calm the whole time, unwilling to show the world that she had been thrown by the chaos. A small smile turned up the corner of Yixing’s lips. When they had been trainees together, he had seen the same expression on Ruolan’s face every time she was scolded by the teachers or when she simply could not get a certain dance movement down properly.

 

Some things just never change.