[NEW] Chapter Eight

"Don't with vampires," said the Hybrid. "Seriously."
Chapter Eight
After Math
    THE next morning I waved goodbye to Chanyeol. He'd hidden his true form again, which annoyed me. I planned on yelling at him for it. He leaned forward to see me better and said, "I'll be checking up on you later."
    Normally, I'd complain about it, because I didn't need checking up on... But this time I had a situation involving a vampire and my friends - our friends. If he didn't need to go to work he'd spend the day with me. I nodded and gave a nervous smile. His small smile stopped reaching his eyes, which began looking at me differently.
    I scraped my thumb nail over my my index finger. The attraction thing had woken up again and apparently I wasn't the only one feeling it. Last night also spoke volumes. I chewed on my bottom lip and my eyes flicked to the side. My face heated up.
Maybe we should talk about this to.
    After he turned a corner I went to the front door. Ground level apartments were rare, which meant our apartment would be considered ancient. Most were made of more durable metals or plastey materials. Metals weren't my thing, but the plasteys were awesome. They could be used as walls, floors, ceilings - every thing - and holographs could be projected on to them.
    My favorite were the ones that walked around like actual people. There were alarm clock models, list models, tv reactive models, and even companion models. I liked them all except for the companion one, because some people became addicted and forgot to interact with real people. In my opinion it'd been the worst thing invented.  When my money improved I'd own one.
    I needed better paying clients.
    I heard talking inside and blinked a couple of times to come back to reality. Not only had I forgotten my laptop and phone last night, but my key-card, which I'd had copied in to a plastey-card. So, I had to knock to get in to my own home. How sad.
    When the door opened my eyes widened. Luhan stood there in only black and white stripe sleeping pants. His small eyes were nearly non-existent, which happened when he hadn't slept well. Gauze had been taped on his shoulder and a little blood had soaked through. He didn't look as pale as I would've expected.
    Looking at the gauze I said, "Are... you feeling better?"
    His voice sounded like he'd just woke up. "I'm..." He turned and gestured for me to come in. My inside warmed at the sight of my laptop on the table. I sighed and didn't feel guilty.
    I'd come home and Luhan had answered the door. We were going to talk later, or at least me and Minseok about it all. I followed Luhan to the living room where he layed on the couch. He usually radiated strength and it scared me to see him like this. Even though he seemed strong, because of this I couldn't deny his fragility.
    Like the rest of us. Vampires were beyond us. This had become complicated for multiple reasons. One: Melina had claimed Luhan to protect him, but could've killed him. Two: She'd come here to help with the rent, and what would it take before they kicked her out?
    Three: Would she leave if they asked?
    I knelt by him and said, "H-How... How are you feeling about... all of this?"
He sighed and opened his eyes. Rubbing his temples with one hand, he said, "I'm not sure. I feel so tired and... I don't know how to process it all."
    I picked at a lose strand on the couch. "It had to have been scary? Did... I know it had to have hurt?"
    His smile made me want to get him a pillow and tuck him in. He said, "She didn't scare me. It was the other one. I mean, I know she doesn't want to hurt us, so that makes me feel comfortable around her. But that guy..."
    "He looked at me like... food. I wanted to gouge his eyes out. If she hadn't been there..." He sniffed. "I'd have died doing at least that much."
    I grinned. "You're insane, you know that?"
    His eyes closed and he hm'd in response.
Scaredy Fly
    WHY the vampire...  Her name start with an M, right? ...and Luhan were always doing something shocking in the living room, I didn't know.  But, I found them on the couch, him leaning over.  Rivulets of blood had run down her arm and he'd been drinking it.  His lips were still over the wound.  My heart started pounding and the hair on my body tingled.
    I didn't know rather to yell or start crying.  The sound of my heart beat must have gave me away.  She looked at me.  My fear made it seem like her unnatural green eyes glowed, and she looked like she didn't appreciate being interrupted.  Luhan's grip on her arm loosened and his eyes flicked to mine.
    Blood had run down the left side of his mouth and his pupils were dilated.  Breathing hard, I took steps back in to the kitchen.  I couldn't look any more.  Plus, I feared for my life.  I feared for his.
    Tears blurred my vision as I hurried to get my phone out of my laptop bag.  I kept looking over my shoulder, afraid one of them would come after me.  They didn't.  Outside, I dialed Minseok's number.  That he'd left him alone with her after what she'd done the first time, made me angry.
    While it rang I wiped tears off.  "Vampire as a roommate," Chen had said.  "We need the money," Luhan had said.  "She's non-volatile," Minseok had said.  They were insane.
    The phone answered with a click.  Minseok sounded like he had it between his ear and shoulder.  "What is it Baekhyun?  I'm kind of busy."
    I squeezed the phone harder.  "Luhan's drinking blood."
    After a tense silence, Minseok said, "What?"
    "Just what I said.  He's drinking blood.  I saw it.  It I-It It's disgusting.  Is he going to become a vampire?"
    "Does that mean he has to die?"
    Another silence.  "I... I don't know."  Angrily, he said, "I don't know.  What the ?"  He growled.  "I'll be home in twenty minutes.  Don't let any thing else happen."
    I stood straight.  "What?  I-I-I can't- I can't go back in there."
    "Baekhyun, she's not going to just attack you, but I've never read any thing about someone drinking a vampires blood.  I'm getting fed up with Melina, with your irrational fear of vampires, and her always going for Luhan."  He growled and hung up.  I looked at the phone.
    My default any thing had always been Chanyeol.  I called him and he answered on the third ring.  It all came out in a tearful rush.
    He said, "Baek, calm down.  I can't understand you."
    "Luhan- blood- h-he- Minseok- he-"
    "Baek, calm breaths.  Breath with me."  He inhaled and exhaled.
    My first attempt stuck in my chest, making it ache.  I gasped, which made me cough.  I tried again.
    "Come on, sweet heart," he said.
    Calling me that had always made me feel loved.  It blanketed me and made me feel safe.
    "Breath slowly."
    I nodded and the inhale fought to get down, making me feel suffocated.  My lungs burned when I forced it out.  By the third inhale my shaking had lessened.  I followed his inhales and exhales until it didn't hurt any more.
    He said, "See, now that's better, right?"
    Nodding, I said, "Yeah.  I'm- I just-"
    "It's ok, Baek.  I'll come over if you want."
    "No no.  I- it's ok.  I'll-I'll be ok.  I just... freaking out."
    He chuckled and said, "Well, you are a firefly hybrid.  Hiding is your thing.  You're not made to fight."
    That got my attention.  I said, "I am not a bug.  I'm a hybrid and you're a gross, egg eating alien.  So, take that."
    He let out the laugh that filled a room.  I knew he'd be clapping like a seal, or kicking his feet, or had fallen in the floor, or some inexplicable combination of each.
    I felt the left side of my mouth tilt.  How did he always make me feel better?
    When he spoke he sounded out of breath:  "Baek, you-you're so funny."
    My cheeks heated up and I tightened my lips to keep the smile from growing.  I rolled my eyes and said, "I know and you're a lousy friend.  I'm hanging up now."
    He gasped and laughed.  "Nuh-no.  I'm coming over after work.  I promise.  Ju-Just go to your room.  It'll be ok."
    I gulped.  It wouldn't just be ok.  To go to my room I had to go inside.  Him happy made me not want to ruin it, so I said, "Ok.  I'll see you then.  I-"
    My eyes widened, because I'd nearly said I love you.  It wasn't like I hadn't said it before, but with the way things had been, I knew it'd encourage it.  I did love him and I didn't want to ruin what we'd always had.
    "You what?"
    "U-Um- I'll see you then.  Bye."  I hung up and slowly lowered the phone.  I stared at it.  Slowly, I exhaled, and then I cleared my throat.  I shook myself and stood up straight.
    I said, "I can do this.  I can do this."  I blew out three breaths, and then in a big one.  My chest stayed puffed.  I didn't let it out, because my attempt to build myself up wasn't helping.
    My lungs ached, so I had to exhale.  I had to take slower inhales to make them stop.  I gulped, looked at the door, gripped my phone and made myself march to the door.  The handle felt cool under my sweaty palms.  My lips tightened and I quickly turned it and opened the door.
    Luhan stood at the sink.  The water ran and he had a towel pressed to his lips.  He looked at me and panic kicked in.  Leaving the door open I ran to my room.  I locked the door and without turning the light on, I hid under the covers.  With scrunched eyes, I whispered, "Light up light up light up."
    Warmth bloomed inside of me and behind my eyelids I saw yellow.  I opened my eyes and under my blanket had been illuminated.  Being able to glow had been a blessing.  I wrangled a pillow under the covers and cuddled it.  Minseok would be here soon, and then Chanyeol in a few hours.
    I'd just stay here.

Note:
When I started writing this, I had intended it to be a one-shot.  But my stories never freaking cooperate.
*Pulls hair out.
Sometimes, being a writer can be daunting.  So.Man.Chapters.  I am finding Baek Adorable though.  He's such a scaredy fly.  Haha
Until Next time - Happy Reading - and or Writing,
Demitria_Teague (Author)