Chapter Seven

"Don't with vampires," said the Hybrid. "Seriously."
Chapter Seven
 
    CHANYEOL'S apartment had a community pool. Because of his species, when he wasn't working, it's where you could find him. The pool lights made the clean water a crystal clear aqua, and the perimeter lights were a soft blue. We were the only ones there. "Yah, Chanyeol," I said.
    He'd been under water for five minutes. His family had relocated to our planet, Si'melle, when he'd been five. My mother had insisted we meet the new neighbors, and then I play with their weird super white son. In my defense, as a kid, I'd found every one weird. His murky blue eyes had made me want to poke them... or them.
    Turns out I had been the weird one. Honestly, I'd probably contributed to him hiding his true appearance. I swallowed the guilt. I'd been a horrible child. "Yah, Chanyeol."
    He turned in my direction and even underwater his perfect teeth shone. I shook my head. "Ah, so annoying... to leave your guest alone. I'm not good at entertaining myself." I sighed, looking at the stars.
    "And I forgot my laptop." I closed my eyes and said, "My precious laptop with my precious babies. Life is horrible." Water went under me, soaking my jeans, and gasping, I lifted up. Chanyeol rose up and crossed his arms on the concrete.
    Grinning, he propped his chin on his hands.
    I yelled, "I didn't bring extra clothes you ." I leaned back and just yelled. Never had I denied being dramatic. When I looked at him his bottom lip stuck out and his eyes were round. "Don't give me those puppy eyes."
    "It's not going to work." His giant, wet hands grabbed my ankles, soaking my socks. As he pulled me towards the edge my jeans scraped the concrete. "Agh, stop it. I don't want to get wet."
    I had nothing to hang on to. And, so I wouldn't hit my head on the edge, once my feet were in, he grabbed my shirt and tossed me. I floated under water with bulging cheeks of air. That annoying bleep bleep bleep. I sighed which became bubbles from my nose.
    His physiology allowed to easily sink below the surface. He swished a temporary finned foot once and reach me, and then his hair moved slowly as he rolled to face me. I wondered if his species, Ghostteib, hadn't invented water ballet. I'd heard rumors they had inspired the fiction idea for mermaids. Although, I preferred his form to shell bras and creepy long fish-tails.
    Chanyeol followed me up and we broke the surface. I made a raspberry when releasing air and water drops landed on his face. He shook his hair and way more water hit me. I couldn't win for losing with him. I pushed him and headed for the stairs.
    He grabbed my left ankle and I yelled again. Laughing, he pulled me back and put his arms around me. I felt his legs moving slow, to keep us up. "Yah, Chanyeol. Why are you being such a pain tonight?"
    His deep voice startled me: "Because your missing out. I refuse to let you bore yourself. So... I'm not letting you out of here until you're having fun."
    I sagged. "I should've stayed at home. At least I'd have my computer. Speaking of..." I smacked his arm and he let go. I faced him and said, "...Can I use your phone to call Minseok? I want to know what's happening with Luhan."
    Looking concerned, he said, "Oh, you forgot your phone to?"
    "Aaaah, I left it in my laptop bag."
    He blew air out as he gave an open mouth grin. "Of course you can use my phone." He removed it from his pocket. The clear cellphone could be used underwater, which I'd taken advantage of. I touched the bubble power button and Contacts lined the screen.
    Minseok picked up on the third ring. "Chanyeol-"
   "No, it's Baekhyun. How's every thing going?"
    He sighed and when he spoke he sounded tired. "Luhan is sleeping. I'm not mad any more. I understand what happened."
    My eyes widened. "You're not mad? Well... what did happen? I'm so confused. I'm afraid to come back home." Chanyeol's head tilted and I gave him a tight smile. I looked at the water to not be distracted.
    "There's no need to be afraid. Remember your research on vampires?"
    I made a face, then scratched my head. "Sort of. Tell me and I'll know rather I remember it or not." I grinned. Silence. "It's not my fault I can only retain information, and can only remember it when someone reminds me."
    Silence. Another sigh. "The vampire protected Luhan, because another vampire had been trying to move in on her territory. The territory being Luhan. She... bit him-"
    When he's said bit it'd sound like he'd barred his fangs. "-she'd marked him, her territory. Now, if any vampire messes with him, she has every right to... basically, break every bone in their body... or kill them." He sounded like he wanted to do the last part. My eyebrows rose and I nervously smiled.
    I said, "Right. Well... I might come home tomorrow." I looked at Chanyeol for conformation I could stay for another day." He gave me a look like, "Really?"
    "Ok."
    A momentary silence reminded me and I gasped. Before he could hang up, I said, "Hey, what's her name, the vampire's?"
    Another silence made me think he'd hung up, then I heard, "Melina Barhi."
    I sighed. "Of course she'd have a cool name. It sounds like a video game character."
    He huffed, amused, and then cleared his throat. "Well, Luhan's waking up. He got a transfusion earlier and I have to make sure he stays in bed."
    I swallowed. "He got a transfusion. Geeze, how much blood did she take?"
    "Too much." The silence thrummed with anger.
    "Um... w-well, good night and good luck keeping him in bed."
    "Tell me about it."
    I laughed, hung up and dropped the smile. How horrible a conversation could you have? She could've killed him. I looked at Chanyeol and said, "I need to go home in the morning. They need me." I told him why Melina had bit Luhan and the transfusion.
    He seethed, and then made a horrible expression that made me smile. "So," he said. "What time do you want to leave in the morning?"