Five

Smoke Screen

 

Sally arrived at school the next morning already anxious to see Sojin. Since she didn’t need anything from her locker, she went for the shortcut to her classroom.  

As she was about to turn the corner of the main building, she heard voices. She wouldn’t have stopped if one of them wasn’t Sojin’s.  

“Is this still because of your ing shirt? I’ll pay for it if you wanna, just leave her alone.” Sojin said, her arms crossed and her face wrinkled in focus. 

Sally’s hands flew to as she watched the same girls who bothered her before approaching her, but Sojin didn’t even blink. 

“It isn’t about the damned shirt, it’s about you. You might have scared me before, but I’m not afraid of you, Soyee. You act like you’re tough and strong because of what you did before, but you messed with the wrong people.”  

Sojin rolled her eyes and scoffed. Sally almost gasped when the girl pushed her, making her take a step back. 

“You think this is funny?” 

“If you're done with your little monologue, I’ll be heading to class, k?” Sojin checked the time on her phone, and one of the girls swatted her hand, making her device fly away and hit the ground. 

“ing , you and your little friend-“ 

“Don’t you dare say a word about her.” Sojin took a step closer towards them, her height towering the three of them. 

“What are you gonna do? Hit me, like you did to that poor girl?” 

Sally bit on her lip. She could see Sojin’s balled fists. 

“If you don’t have anything else to say, I’ll just leave.” Sojin turned her back at them, only to be spun around by the grip of the girl’s arm. 

“You don’t turn your back on me!” 

“Leave me alone.” Sojin spat, eyeing her arm, but the girl didn’t move. “I’m serious.” 

“Or else what?” 

“Are you testing my patience?”  

Sally’s knees trembled so hard she had to lean against the wall. What if Sojin lost herself again? Those punks were doing it on purpose, Sally could tell.  

“I don’t have to test it. I know I can just keep talking about your little friend... Sally, was it?” 

Sojin breathed through her nose like an enraged bull and grasped on the girl’s collar. “I’ve warned you, if you lay a finger on her-” 

“Sojin!” Sally felt the adrenaline rush through her body, her legs moving on their own now. 

“Xiening.” Sojin lost strength on her arms, setting the girl free. “What are you doing-” 

“Stand back.” Sally stood between them, facing the girls, her eyebrow twitching.  

They laughed in her face. “You? Telling me what to do? Get the out of my face.” She yelled, pushing Sally out of the way. Her legs were still weak, so she stumbled and fell on her back.  

“I told you not to touch her, you jerk!” Sally heard Sojin’s voice like she never did, and when she looked up, she was faced with what she feared. Sojin was about to lose it, the deep, gorgeous eyes she knew, which looked at her with such love and tenderness, were burning in rage. 

It felt like dejavu. She raised her arm in the air, her fist clenched- 

“ENOUGH!” 

Sally widened her eyes and snapped her head back.  

“You three, come with me-” but as soon as they looked back and saw Mimi approaching fast, they took a run. “Hey, come back here!” Mimi ran after them. 

“Are you gonna go tell the principal it was me again, Mimi?” Sojin’s voice made her stop. 

Sally stood up with Sojin’s help. Mimi turned around and faced them, her lips apart. 

“Will you?” Sojin stared straight into her eyes, and Sally could only look at the both of them with a deep frown.  

Mimi only gulped and looked away.  

“You’re student council now. We’re not scared middle school kids anymore. Are you gonna tell the truth this time?” Sojin said, her voice a plead. 

“It was you? H-How could you?!” Sally turned to Mimi.  

“Sally, let me explain-” 

“I already know everything. How could you do that to her? Wasn’t she your friend?” 

“Xiening, don’t-” 

“No, she’s right Sojin,” Mimi said. “I was a coward and still am. I know you only agreed to take the blame because I was scared and pressured you, not thinking of what would happen to you. And I know you still resent me for it. I won’t ever dare to ask for your forgiveness.” Mimi gave them a small smile and turned, running in the same direction the girls had gone. 

Sojin sighed. “Are you okay? H-Hey, why are you crying?” 

Sally sobbed and hugged her. “I’m sorry. I had no idea.” 

“What are you talking about?” 

“That’s why you kept acting like that about her, and I didn’t consider you might have had reasons. I’m so sorry, Sojin…”  

Sojin hugged her back. “Well… she was my best friend. I didn’t want things to turn out like this. I kind of still hate myself for holding grudges for so long.” Her voice became weaker with each sentence. “I miss her, Xiening. I miss the times we spent together, I miss her lame jokes, I miss her attempts to cheer me up when I was sad, I miss her hugs, I…” She stopped because the tears running down from her eyes were already enough. 

Sally had never seen Sojin cry. She wasn’t crying – she sobbed, she held Xiening like she feared she would escape through her fingers. 

“It’s never too late, Sojin.” Sally patted her back.  

---

Sojin became dead quiet that morning. Sally stole kind glances at her, her way of telling her everything would be alright. She was in fact still thinking about Mimi and what happened, but she also didn’t know what could she do, or even if she could do something.  

After eating lunch, in which Sally had to push her to eat her food because she kept saying she wasn’t hungry, she took her outside, and for at least that hour, Sally managed to make her smile and forget about it.  

The first class of the afternoon was about to begin when a voice echoed in the room through the speakers. 

“Uhm,” The person cleared . “T-This is Jung Mimi from the student council.”  

Sally’s eyes widened and she peeked at Sojin. She froze at the name. 

“I’ll be quick, so I’ll ask for everyone’s attention. I’m talking to all of you to clear a misunderstanding I should have long ago. I presume you all know Soyee.”  

The silence in the room was deafening, and Sojin looked terrified. Mimi hadn’t said anything yet and her hand trembled already. 

“She is not and never was a bully.” Mimi said, and Sally took a quick look around to find frowns and raised eyebrows from her colleagues. “The video you all have seen... yes, it’s her. But she was not beating up someone for the sake of it or because she was a bully. I was being bullied and she did that to defend me. But you didn’t see that part, did you?”  

A fit of whispers erupted in the room.  

“Most of you probably know I was the one confirming that she started it. That was a lie I had to tell to protect myself and Sojin, as we were under blackmail by the actual bullies. Sojin and I agreed to cover it up together, but deep down I know she only agreed to because I was so scared I pressured her into it without thinking of consequences that would fall only on her and not me.” 

Sally squeezed Sojin’s hand.  

“You may be wondering why I’m telling you this now and why I haven’t before. Well, I was still afraid. That people would turn their backs at me when they find out about the truth, and being part of the student council, I wanted people to look up at me, so, to keep my reputation, I preferred to live with the guilt. But not anymore. Feel free to hate me, but please, don’t hate on her. Don’t be afraid of her and give her chance. Also, take this as a lesson. Never give in to blackmail, especially if that costs you your friends. There are always other options. You cannot leave the power in the bullies’ hands.”  

There was a moment of silence, until Mimi spoke again. “That’s all. Thank you.”  

Sally looked back and everyone stared at Sojin. She felt her hand being squeezed, making her turn her head, just to watch Sojin standing up from her seat. 

“S-Sojin-“ 

“Stay, I need to find Mimi.” She said without stopping and ignoring the dozens eyes on her. 

A sigh escaped Sally’s lips, as she relaxed on her chair. She trusted Sojin. 

Maybe if she ran she would still find her in the student council. She reached for the handle and barged in. The sound made Mimi turn on her heels. 

“S-Sojin-“ but she was interrupted when Sojin launched herself at her, wrapping her arms around her neck and pulling her body against hers. 

“You dumb, stupid idiot!” Sojin said, squeezing her body more and more with each word. 

“Why are you insulting me... and hugging me?” Mimi’s confusion was clear in her voice. 

“You didn’t need to do that! Don’t get yourself in problems because of me, you’re graduating this year!”  

“I seriously don’t know if you’re pissed or worried.”  

“Both! Not actually, I...” Sojin pulled away and looked down at her, analyzing her features. “You’ve gained wrinkles.” 

“Yah!” Mimi slapped her arm. 

“Gosh, Mimi, I just wanted you to be honest with me and yourself. Even though I’m at fault too...”  

“Why?” 

“I...” Sojin choked, feeling the warmth clouding her eyes. “I just wanted my best friend back.” 

Mimi was the one to hold her close now, pulling the crying Sojin with her arms on her back. 

“I’m sorry, Sojin. You don’t deserve a friend like me-” 

“I don’t care if I deserve you or not, I miss you Mimi. Can we just forget all this? I don’t care what happened in the past anymore, it doesn’t matter. I want you back.” She sobbed, squeezing her body. 

She really did miss the way Mimi hugged her and buried her face on her shoulder. 

“I missed you too, Sojin. You know I never wanted to hurt you, but I was an idiot. I’m sorry.” She said, her own voice starting to break too. 

“Everyone makes mistakes. I wanted to forgive you for a long time, but I didn’t want to hurt my pride in taking the first step.” Sojin sighed. “We’re both idiots.” 

Mimi chuckled. “I just hope people will stop hating on you now.” 

“Thank you, Mimi, for what you just did. Even if they don’t, I don’t care. What matters is that I have you back.”  

“Wow, I don’t remember you being this sincere. I need to thank Sally.” Even if Sojin couldn’t see it, she still knew that mischievous voice. “And I’m really happy for you two.”  

“A-Are you really?” Even though Sojin remembered how sincere her voice sounded, she couldn’t help but ask. 

“Why wouldn’t I?”  

Sojin didn’t want to ask, but she needed to take out that voice in the back of her head. 

“Don’t you like her?” 

After a scoff, a chuckle, and raised eyebrows, Mimi breathed again. “I’m so gonna tell Sally you thought I liked her-” 

“You shut up!” Sojin felt a blush across her cheeks. “C’mon, you took her to class in the morning, and had lunch with her, and invited her to hang out... What did you want me to think?” 

“You were jealous, just admit it.” 

“What if I was? It’s because I like her!” 

“But even if I liked her, you need to trust her. If she likes you, and you don’t give her any reasons for her to want to walk away, she won’t.” Mimi said. “A good relationship is built on trust. I learned that the hard way.” 

Sojin smiled and grabbed her hands. “You’re right. I trust her, and I trust you too.” 

Mimi’s lower lip quivered. “Thank you for giving me a second chance.” 

---

A/N: Hehehe I hope you did not see this coming kek c: