Four

Smoke Screen

 

“It happened that time only. I never hit anybody else, I’m not an aggressive person, and I don’t tend to lose my temper easily.” Sojin said. “Unless someone messes with the ones I love.” 

“Was that what happened?” Sally asked quietly, thinking about what happened just a few moments ago. 

“Yes. Those punks were bullying my-“ Sojin stopped, looking down, her eyes distant.  

“Your...?”  

“M-My friend. When I saw that girl’s fist above my friend’s face, I lost my mind. Then, it was what you saw, I guess.” 

Something didn’t add up. 

“You may have not acted your best, but you did it to protect a friend. Why does everyone say you’re a bully and used to beat people up all the time?” 

“That’s where the real story begins.” Sojin sighed. “When I arrived at school the next day, everyone, literally everyone, even people I had no idea who they were, eyed me down from head to toe as if my skin was blue or something, gossiping and whispering to each other. Turns out an anonymous student shared the video online without any context and spread it around school.” 

Sally gasped. “Why would they do that?” 

“I don’t know. Nobody ever knew who posted it, and the original was promptly removed. But of course people saved it, so the video was still circling the internet, just like it still is.” 

“Why are people so cruel?” Sally shook her head. 

“I don’t know. When I was called in the principal's office, I had already been accused of starting the fight. When I tried to explain and defend myself, saying I was protecting a friend, they accused me of lying.” 

“What? Why?” 

“Because there had been a witness who told them first I was the one to blame.” 

“What do you mean a witness? Who was there?” Sally frowned. 

Sojin bit her lip. “My friend.”  

Sally let her chin drop. “W-What? She turned you in?”  

“Yes. They blackmailed her into telling the principal I started it, or else they would come for both of us off school grounds. They had gathered incredibly detailed information about our daily itineraries and even home addresses. They weren’t playing around.” 

There was so much in Sally’s head she didn’t know where to start. 

“A friend doesn’t turn another in,” She said, clenching her fists. “I know she was trying to protect you, but she clearly didn’t think about the consequences. There had to be another way. You could have even gone to the police if that escalated. Turning you in... that’s backstabbing.” 

“Not only my reputation became what it is today, I also got a week of suspension. At least my parents believed me, but they couldn’t do anything about it. I didn’t have anyone that could help prove my side and with four people against me, there was nothing I could do. If I couldn’t get students to believe me, I would get absolutely no luck with the police.”  

Sally felt her eyes warm, a tear blurring the sight of Sojin.  

“That’s too unfair.” She blinked to make the tears go away, as she held Sojin’s hands. “You never deserved how people treat you. It’s unfair, Sojin!”  

“Hey, don’t cry, silly.” Sojin moved closer, wiping the tears with her thumbs. “I know it is, but what can be done? I’ve grown used to it. I took the blame to protect my friend and myself too. I’m at peace with it.” 

“But you shouldn’t! I’ll make people see the truth, even if I have to fill the walls of this school with posters.” 

Sojin couldn’t help but chuckle. She approached and kissed Sally’s forehead, making her breathing stop. 

“Don’t waste your time, Sally. Spend it with me instead.”  

She looked up to find Sojin’s smile she already missed so much.  

“I didn’t really mean it when I asked you to stop calling me Xiening. I’m sorry.” 

“No, you don’t need to apologize. I am sorry for acting like I did. It was not intention. I don’t want you to feel like you can’t be with other people. It makes me happy that you have friends who care about you and you can have fun with.”  

“Then why do you always act different when it’s about Mimi?”  

Sojin widened her eyes for a second and gulped. She opened but the ring of the bell stopped her from talking. 

“W-We should go.” Sojin stood up, lending her hand to Sally. 

Sally wouldn’t push it, at least not now. 

---

“Sojin.” Sally called, interwinding her fingers with hers. It felt so right to just be in her embrace. 

“Hm?” 

“I’m sorry if I ever doubted you.” 

“I would too, after seeing the video. I was really out of myself. I’m sorry you had to see that. I never wanted you to see that side of me... I’m really happy you listened to what I had to say. I mean it. ” 

“In fact, I’m glad I did. It proved my point that it wouldn’t change anything and that I know the real Jang Sojin.” 

She smiled and tucked a strand of Sally’s hair behind her ear. “Thank you for trusting me.” 

They stayed silent for a bit, enjoying each other’s presence, until Sally called her name again, “Sojin, sing something.”  

“Hey, I still haven’t seen you dancing and you’re already asking for more?” 

Sally gave her a puppy eyed look. “Please? You’ll see my performance on Saturday, and I promise I’ll make it up to you.” 

“Oh, you will? How?” 

“More kisses?” Sally pouted. 

Sojin stared at her and shook her head. “Save them for after I sing.” 

Sally squealed, burying herself even deeper into Sojin’s arms and snuggling on her chest. She closed her eyes and let the smile grow as she heard Sojin’s voice. 

Even if it’s so cold, it feels like it’ll break 
I won’t ever let go this time 
The hands of that day that has gotten so far away 

Through the night that was endlessly long and thick and dark 
I know your wish has silently disappeared 
I’ll wait for a long time, I will definitely find you 
Even if you’re so far that I can’t see you 
Let’s go, to the place at the tip of dawn 

When she stopped, Sally looked up and without any words, she leaned in and captured Sojin’s impatient lips on hers. It felt like each time Sally kissed her, it felt better than the last time, and it was turning into something she didn’t want to live without anymore.  

“You know I like you a lot, right? And you’ve already found me.” Sally whispered, her thumb drawing circles on her cheek. 

“Yes. I love you too, Xiening.” 

Sally couldn’t stop her eyes from widening. “D-Do you really?”  

“Yes. The last time you were the one telling me why do you like me, now it’s my turn. Since that happened, no one tried to give me a chance. You didn’t hesitate in talking to me, even after your friends’ warnings, and even after I rejected you. You have a pure heart, and when I was already used to being alone, you showed me everyone deserves to be loved. At first, I was afraid I was mistaking my feelings for you. Maybe it was just admiration, or I was just grateful, but soon I realized it was not. I was falling for you. You’re incredible, Xiening, how would I not love you?” 

Sally pulled her in for another kiss, deeper and even more passionate than before.  

“I love you Sojin, and that won’t change.” Sally said, leaning her forehead on hers, and she was so sure of it. 

---

Sally rolled her shoulders, stretched her arms, legs, and took deep, long breaths. In a few moments she would be on stage for the first time with her dance group, and the nervousness wouldn’t leave her anytime soon. Sojin was going to be somewhere in the crowd, watching her, so she had to do her best and- 

“Hey.” A whisper and a hand on her waist made her yelp and turn around. 

“S-Sojin!” Sally whispered-yelled, taking a look around and finding the judging eyes on them. “How did you get in? You shouldn’t be here. N-Not that I don’t want you to be here, though.” Sally pulled Sojin to a quiet corner of the room 

“I sneaked in. No one’s watching the door and it’s open anyway, so.” Sojin shrugged.  

“Was that all just to see me?” 

“You know it was.” Sojin pulled her body closer, snaking her arms around Sally’s waist. “I wanted to wish you good luck for your performance.” 

Sally smiled, having her cheeks being held by Sojin’s big and soft hands, feeling her lips kissing her forehead so dearly.  

“You’re an angel, Sojin.” Sally buried her face on her neck, pulling her into a tight hug.  

They stayed in silent, Sally feeling her body relax with each time Sojin  her hair. 

“Sally-” A voice called, making Sally pull away. “Oh shoot, I-I’m sorry, I didn’t know Sojin- I-I thought you were alone.” Mimi struggled to say.  

“I-It’s okay sunbae.” Sally cleared , feeling her cheeks warming up, peeking at Sojin from the corner of her eyes. She looked everywhere but their eyes. 

“I-I just wanted to wish you good luck since it’s your first performance.”  

“Right, thank you sunbae.”  

Mimi smiled, her eyes shifting awkwardly between them. “Alright then, I’ll leave you two alone.” 

“Oh, uhm, yeah.” Sally bowed her head as Mimi left.  

Sally let out a loud sigh, turning to Sojin.  

“I’m not supposed to be here, but she can.” Sojin rolled her eyes. 

“You’re not going to start with that again, are you?” Sally crossed her arms. “She can actually be here, she’s part of the organization of the event. She’s from the student council, remember.” 

“Yes, you’re right. I’m sorry, it’s just...” 

“You don’t need to be so defensive, Sojin. She’s just a good friend, okay? She’s very nice, but she’s like this to everyone, not just with me.” 

“Yeah, I know she is-“ 

“S-Sally.” This time it was Mina’s shaken voice interrupting them, as she approached. “I’m sorry, we have to go.”  

Sojin nodded, getting the hint, and squeezed Sally’s hands, then turned to Mina and smiled.  

“Sorry for barging in. Good luck on your performance.” She bowed slightly, and giving Sally a last smile, she left.  

“Jesus,” Mina said and took a deep breath, a hand on her chest. “My heart stopped when she turned to me.” 

“Why, did she make you flustered?” Sally teased. 

“No! She’s so tall it scares me.” 

“Yeah, she is. And pretty too. Isn’t her smile so cute?”  

“Errr... What did she do to you, Sally?” 

“Made me fall for her.” 

Mina faked a gag, making Sally hit her arm.  

“At least you‘re happy,” Mina said, and Sally irked an eyebrow. “I just hope you don’t get hurt.” 

“I won’t. Now let’s go, we have a performance to slay.” 

--- 

“So, how was it?” Sally asked, letting her body hit the couch.  

“It was… You deserve that I sing for you every day of your life after that.”  

Sally gasped. “Wow, it was that easy?” 

“Okay forget about it.” 

Sally whined, leaning towards Sojin.  

“You’re lucky I like you.” Sojin raised her chin up. “Seriously though, why were you hiding so much talent?” 

“I joined the dance club, do you call that hiding my talent?” Sally shook her head. “Now you, you’re the one who’s hiding it.” 

Sojin widened her eyes. “I-I’m not that talented.” 

“Yes, you are. You have to do something about it.” 

“What do you want me to do? You’re the only one I can sing for.” 

“Join singing classes or something.” 

She didn’t answer. Sally studied her face. “You want to do it right?” 

“I’ll think about it.”  

“Okay, good.” Sally kissed her cheek. 

--- 

The rest of the weekend went by in Sojin’s company... on a date. 

They went to the movies, having dinner together in a fancy restaurant where Sojin insisted they should eat. Even though Sally protested it would be expensive, Sojin said she would pay. 

“I never had friends to spend money with, so, lemme pay you a good dinner.” 

Sally ended up accepting her reasoning and promised to repay her as she could. “More kisses and private dance performances is enough.” Sojin requested with a smirk, to which Sally accepted, “My pleasure.” 

When Sally arrived home, she heard her mother from the living room, “Where were you, Xiening?” 

“I said I was coming home late today. I was out with my... friend.” 

Her mother peeked from the couch with a raised eyebrow. Sally gulped. “I-I'm going to bed, I have classes tomorrow. Good night.” And she run upstairs, closing the door and leaning against it, a deep breath escaping her lips. 

Friend. 

Was Sojin just a friend at this point? Of course she wouldn’t say girlfriend to her mother, but that made her think about it. Sojin said it was a date. Couples go on dates. Couples also kiss, and they’ve kissed. A lot. So, were they a couple? The thought made Sally grin. 

She remembered she still had homework to do – it was the last thing she would think about when she was with Sojin – so she shook her head and moved to her desk.  

Sally was done at last. She put on her pajamas and got herself in bed, phone in hand. She wrote, erased, and wrote again. Why so much thought for a good night message? 

[Sally] 
Sojin-ah ~~ thank you for the day, I had tons of fun. Let’s do it again! I wish I could kiss you good night, but since I can’t, I hope you dream about me ^^ 

Her heart thumped when she pressed the send button, and then she giggled at herself. She waited for an answer, but it was taking a while. Was Sojin already asleep? 

When Sally was about to lay her phone on the nightstand, it rang, and she didn’t feel sleepy anymore. 

[Sojin] 
Come down. 

She jumped out of her bed and peeked outside the window. 

Sojin must be crazy. 

Sally opened her door and thanked god her parents were already asleep. She tip toed down the stairs using her phone to light up the way and opened the front door, sliding outside without letting it close. 

“Are you crazy?!” Sally whispered, laughing. 

“For you.” Sojin took a step close and held Sally’s cheeks, kissing her lips. “You asked for a good night kiss, here it is.” 

Sally stared at her under the dim street lights. “I can’t believe you, Sojin.” 

“What?” She chuckled, caressing her cheeks. 

“You came all the way here at this hour just for a kiss.” 

“You were the one sending me a lame message saying you wanted it.” 

“Hey, it’s my fault now?” Sally pouted. 

“I didn’t say it is. And you know my house isn’t that far either, so.” Sojin shrugged.  

“Okay, but it’s still late and we have classes tomorrow.”  

“Alright, one more kiss and I’ll go.” 

Sally chuckled and complied. “Now go.”  

“Good night. I love you.” Sojin squeezed her hands before letting go. 

“I love you too. Tell me when you’re home or else I’ll be worried.” 

Sojin laughed. “Okay I will.”  

Sally rushed upstairs and opened her window, observing Sojin walk away, until she turned the corner. She got back in bed and wondered how nice it would be to lean into Sojin’s neck and fall asleep for the night. Ah, someday.

---

A/N: Uaaw, I hope you liked this big dose of fluff! c:

And this time, the song Sojin sang was IU's Dear Name. Such a beautiful song ;--;