DRUNK NIGHT

A NEW STORY TO WRITE

Remember when Wooyoung thought that Younghyun wouldn't get drunk and randomly call him at late night or even at dawn? There he was with his 7th bottle of soju, and his other hand was holding his phone. Of course Wooyoung's number was on the very top of his log.

First call and Wooyoung didn't answer.

Younghyun took one shot of the remaining soju he had. And once again he redialled.

"Oh, Younghyun?" Wooyoung picked up.

"Hyung, why did you do that?"

"Did what? Hey, are you drunk again?"

Younghyun's voice sounded unclear and Wooyoung was pretty much sure his younger buddy was not in sober state.

"Hyung, you know how much I like you. But don't do this to me..." Younghyun hung up the call as he collapsed with his eyes half open and his head slightly hit the table. He stared blankly at the bottles and cans before his eyes.

The phone he put on the table rang. It was Wooyoung.

"Younghyun, where are you?" asked Wooyoung, sounded worried.

"Why would you care?" Younghyun mumbled. He still had his head leaning on the table. His brows curved into a frown then he, again, hung up the call.

It was already past midnight, and Wooyoung just had to ring him back again. Usually it was always Younghyun who kept calling and hanging up back and forth. But at this point, Wooyoung knew he had to take care of this big guy with such a fragile heart.

"Younghyun..."

"Hyung, I like her, okay?" Younghyun barked.

"Okay, I get it. Now where are you?"

Wooyoung was waiting for the answer, yet to his surprise, Younghyun hung up again. But a couple minutes later, Younghyun actually called Wooyoung back.

"Hyung, will you let go of her for me?" he spoke weakly. Judging from his shaking voice, Younghyun probably was getting teary right now.

"Okay, I will, Kang Younghyun, just if you tell me where you are right now."

"Itaewon." One or two sniffs were heard in Wooyoung's ear.

Wooyoung was running out of words to console him. He had no idea that Younghyun was this serious. And before he knew it, Younghyun already turned off the call again. And Younghyun called him back again. This was also a cycle of the drunken Kang Younghyun that Wooyoung failed to understand.

"Hyung, I believe you. You know I like you."

"Okay, okay."

"But I think I like her more than I like you." Younghyun's voice was kind of shaky and unstable but he was clear with his words.

Wooyoung sighed. But he was happy to hear what his younger brother had in his heart. "Okay, I get it, Kang Younghyun."

Younghyun paused for a while. "What do I do, Hyung?"

On the other line, there was Wooyoung smiling like a fool at nothing. Now he was the first one to hang up. He then called his dearest cousin and some other friends.

 

Younghyun woke up the following morning with heavy head and his stomach upset. He blinked several times to recognize his own home and bed. All he remembered was he suddenly out last night after only God knows how many bottles of soju he drank all by himself. He thought he would end up sleeping at the bar, which was not the first time he did so. Besides he was close with the owner.

Rubbing his eyes, Younghyun dragged his feet out of his cozy bedroom. He yawned while still thinking how he got home safe and sound without any missing piece. A coffee aroma flew right into his nose. Like an alarm, it just woke him up totally. He was beyond surprised to see someone else other than himself in his house. "H-Hwari.. how.. just how?" he stuttered.

"Good morning. I'm sorry for breaking in. I'm just fulfilling a request from Dowoon and Wooyoung oppa."

"Dowoon? Wooyoung?" His face was puzzled. "Wait, how did I go home again?"

"Well, I don't know. I got like 5, 6 missed calls from you at 1 AM last night. And then Wooyoung oppa called me at 5 AM, telling me to get you at a bar in Itaewon and get you home safely," she explained, shrugging.

"Oh my gosh. I'm sorry." He covered his face in embarrassment before sitting down in the mini bar.

"Here's black coffee. I've cooked some bean sprout soup."

He quietly sipped his coffee. "Anyway, what did Wooyoung hyung say to you?"

"'Pick up Younghyun in Itaewon and drive him home. He's wasted.'"

Younghyung groaned in embarrasment as he stuck his face on the table. "Did he say anything else?" asked him without raising his head.

"No, not really. He was going out with Taecyeon so he couldn't get you."

Younghyun almost let himself drown in rage on why it wasn't his friends who took care of him. And worse, him in his un-sober state. He didn't know what crazy things he could have done when drunk. But then he remembered that everyone was out of the city since yesterday.

Eventually he got his head up. And to find a bowl of rice and bean sprout soup right in front of him, the sparks in his eyes couldn't lie. He turned to see Hwari's back still busy preparing maybe some side dishes. She came with some radish kimchi, braised beef and sunny side eggs. He was even more delighted to see these homemade dishes.

"Let's eat first."

"Thanks for the food." He bowed his head. "Anyway, sorry for being such a trouble. I don't even know why I'm like this."

"It's okay." She really didn't have much to comment. The fact that she was called very early in the morning and now was intruding Younghyun's house itself was odd already. She just thought of this as doing a favor for Wooyoung and his dear friend. "By the way, Wooyoung oppa will be here soon."

Younghyun almost choked. Thankfully Hwari quickly handed him a glass of water. "I see.. May I ask, how long have you been going out with Wooyoung hyung?"

"What do you mean?"

"You're dating, right?"

"What?" She squinted her eyes. She was beyond surprised to hear this that she actually tried hard to hold her laughter from bursting out dramatically. Younghyun was the very first man on earth to guess Wooyoung as her boyfriend. Even her friends always thought him as her biological brother. Mistaking Wooyoung as Hwari's boyfriend, just where did that idea come from?

"What?"

"He's my cousin."

"Wait. What?"

"Wooyoung oppa is my cousin," she stated clearly word by word.

Younghyun's jaw was dropped. "WHAT?"

 

Wooyoung came just exactly after Younghyun finished eating. He also brought Sungjin and Dowoon. Hwari set off right away and left the dishes to Wooyoung instead of the house owner. Apparently she got an interview today which fortunately it was scheduled in the afternoon. It touched Younghyun's heart that she was willing to help him and his mess although she had another agenda. He felt like thank you was not enough for everything she did today.

Younghyun's soft expression quickly changed into ready-to-kill mode once Hwari left. Wooyoung faked an innocent smile before laughing out loud as soon as Younghyun let out his rants.

"You have to look at yourself, Younghyun, and see that jealousy shooting out of your eyes. I thought I was dead just from your stare." Wooyoung managed to catch his breath after laughing non-stop for two minutes straight. "Your face was too funny I couldn't help it. It was so much fun teasing you. It was just so precious." He shook his head several times and still can't control his laughter.

"Hyung, you're too much. I told you he was going to be so mad," Sungjin stepped in.

"You knew about this?" Younghyun snapped. He felt somehow betrayed.

Sungjin went silent, avoiding eye contact with Younghyun. Now Dowoon's turn to talk, "At least now we're certain that you like her."

"Dowoon, not you too?!" Younghyun groaned as he scratched his head in frustration. He couldn't stop mumbling what to do.