THE GIG DAY

A NEW STORY TO WRITE

The festival on summer break which Younghyun had their gig in was approaching very soon and Younghyun couldn't hide his nervousness and excitement. He always liked performing on stage. But this one wasn't going to be just any performance, he hoped.

When he and the guys arrived at the venue, he just learned that The Rose would own the stage just before them. They also had to share the waiting room. Younghyun had mixed feelings about this. Basically they knew The Rose pretty well, and got a long well too.

In the waiting room, Younghyun kind of isolated himself while Jaehyung and Wonpil were having a nice talk with Woosung and Dojoon, and Dowoon with Sungjin were playing in game battle with Hajoon and Jaehyung. Younghyun plugged earphones and tried to get a quick nap before going to the stage. It was not that he was sleep deprived or something. It was just better for him to save his energy and maintain his emotional stability.

After 15 minutes Younghyun opened his eyes and found Wooyoung coming by. He joyfully greeted him. "Wooyoung hyung, you came."

Wooyoung said hi with a big smile. "Yeah. Guess who I come with."

To Younghyun's surprise, Wooyoung brought someone with him. And it was beyond surprise and shock for Younghyun. He looked confused more than ever.

"Oppa, why did you leave me?" whined a girl who stomped her steps quickly towards Wooyoung. She immediately linked her arms to Wooyoung's.

"Sorry, my baby." Wooyoung baby-talked to her as he her hair gently. "Oppa gotta meet these friends here."

Younghyun's widened eyes almost popped out. "Hwari. You.. how?" he even stuttered. First Woosung, and now, Wooyoung?

"Oh, I see you already know my honey." Wooyoung put one arm around Hwari's shoulder.

Yes, it was Hwari who Wooyoung brought. It was never slipped Younghyun's mind that such a thing could happen. The feeling he thought would never come to him anymore actually slowly crept to his mind. Not realizing it, his fist on his bass got tighter.

On the other hand, seeing Younghyun looked confused, Hwari also looked puzzled as much as him."Is there something wrong? Well, I see you already know my co—"

Wooyoung cut off her speaking, "Younghyun. We're anticipating your performance. Catch up with you later, okay?" Wooyoung smirked and escorted Hwari to go out first. Or more like dragging her out of the waiting room.

Wooyoung made his way to greet the others and was about to leave the waiting room when Younghyun suddenly grabbed Wooyoung's arm. "Hyung, you... why?" He gazed at him with sad, angry, and feeling betrayed look in his eyes.

Wooyoung calmly let go of his own arm from Younghyun's strong grip. "Younghyun, cut it out. We'll talk later. Hwari is waiting outside."

The rest of the guys didn't even notice what just had happened because they were busy with their own instruments. They had to call Younghyun's name loudly since he was standing still before the waiting room door. They were worried Younghyun might have dozed off while standing and holding on to his bass. And it was time for getting ready as well because The Rose was already singing the last song.

Younghyun peeked from backstage and he could see Hwari and Wooyoung standing in the front row. Unlike the other audiences who were all hype and sang along, Hwari just watched the artist in silence, with not much expression on her face, and her arms folded. Sometimes she frowned too, especially during particular parts when Woosung sang with his shaky voice. Younghyun recognized that look. It was the same expression he had for the past five years. But he also noticed the look on Hwari's expression that got softer whenever Woosung smiled during singing and after finishing his song. Woosung seemed to keep looking at Hwari's direction too.

Younghyun couldn't hide his expression any longer. He couldn't pretend to be okay any longer. His brain couldn't think straight as Wooyoung and Woosung and their interactions with Hwari somewhat kept running in his mind.

It was not on his plan to perform with his emotion - his feeling that he thought was already in the past - all out like this.

On stage, Younghyun sang his heart out. Everyone said he had the best facial expression while performing. And today was exceptional. He had it all in his eyes.

 

I am pretty worried

After I tell you these words

I’m not sure if we can go back to smiling like we are now

But I have to

I like you

I tried holding it back

But I can’t anymore

Now I can tell you

I want to love you

 

I’m pathetic but what can I do?

I just like being with you

I know I’m such a fool

Sometimes I look at your text and smile

I know, I already know

That I’m a fool

 

Say it

Just tell me you’re not even interested

Tell me to just leave

Tell me honestly

Say it

I’m tied to you

I wait, I’m in the same place

Either untie me or pull me closer

Pull me in even more

Let me be by your side

 

Congratulations, you’re unbelievable

Congratulations, how could you do that

Like nothing happened

You broke my heart

 

Today I smile

Even though it hurts, I smile

When I’m with you

As if nothing happened, as if I’m doing fine

I have to

I smile

 

Younghyun only had his eyes on one spot only where Hwari was standing. Sometimes their eyes would meet when it was Younghyun's part to sing. Hwari only looked back at him with unpredictable expression. And then she would switch her gaze at either Sungjin, Jaehyung, or Wonpil. It was quite hard to peek at Dowoon behind the drum.

Once the guys finished performing, Wooyoung took Hwari again to the waiting room. Jaehyung and Sungjin were the first greeting them. Dowoon and Wonpil were with Younghyun at a corner, helping each other boxing the instruments and rolling all the cables.

Wooyoung approached them. Dowoon and Wonpil had said hi to the senior, whereas Younghyun didn't even bother to have any small talk right now. "Let's have a drink tonight?" Wooyoung offered.

"Thanks. But, no, thanks."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'm good."

Wooyoung gave a big poke on Younghyun's back as he left the younger guy. And that was when Hwari came up to him, and the maknaes slowly scooted away to give them some space.

"Hi?"

Younghyun forced a smile and faced her. He didn't say hi back.

"You okay?"

"Do I look okay?"

"Umm, no?"

"Good eye."

Hwari became speechless. She had no idea Younghyun could be as cold as his 'cover' appearance. Probably this was not a good moment for her to be around.

"I guess that's a cue, so.." Hwari stuttered. "I'll just go, and.." She was about to take a step away, but still managed to say, "Nice performace, by the way."

Younghyun was left alone. His eyes stared at nothing.

 


 

Picture made with Unfold // photo credit to owner