HAPPINESS

A NEW STORY TO WRITE

Younghyun was encouraged by Sungjin and Jaehyung to visit Hwari at her campus today. They ensured him that he wouldn't need some lame excuse and there was nothing wrong with visiting your friend without prior notice. After all Younghyun and Hwari were not totally strangers to each other.

Younghyun decided to go at 4 PM. The clock showed it was 11 AM now. He should have enough time to think what he was going to talk about with Hwari. He didn't want to mess up and say nonsense like the last time he met her. Let's not mention The Rose this time, Younghyun said to himself.

Once Younghyun finished his class, group discussion for presentation, and making an outline for individual report, he dashed leaving his canpus building. He took a deep breath before walking towards Faculty of Human Ecology. He really didn't ring Hwari about this sudden visit. Even if she wasn't around anymore at that hour, he could just go home.

His footsteps brought him to a little coffee shop near Hwari's campus. He was thinking about getting something to drink for him and Hwari. But once again, his eyes were quick to spot Hwari's figure sitting outside the coffee shop. She wasn't alone. In front of her sat a slim, a bit muscular guy with blonde frizzy hair. Younghyun instantly recognized who he was.

Stunned for a moment, Younghyun withdrew from his intention to buy drinks. He even thought about going home as well, since Hwari seemed to be occupied. Also she looked happy, giggling and laughing every once in a moment. It looked like she was having a good time. The view made him reluctant to approach her. He didn't want to interrupt. Then he saw the blonde guy left his seat, Hwari waved at him.

It was like a now or never moment and Younghyun didn't want to lose that moment.

"Hwari," he greeted.

Hwari rose her head. "Younghyun. What a surprise," she said, flashing a little smile. "Come to look for Dowoon again?"

Younghyun brushed his hair as he chuckled. "No, I'm.. I, uh.." Dang, he couldn't find any good excuse to answer her. He forgot to think of this part. "Dowoon told me this cafe is good," he said calmly.

"Really?" She still wore her little smile, but it looked slightly different from earlier. "Why don't you sit with me and wait here? I'll get you something to drink," she said as she got up from her seat.

Younghyun waved his hand, preventing her from leaving her seat. "Please, let me."

"But this is my 'home'?" She chuckled.

"It's okay, leave it to me. What do you want?"

"Anything is fine. Thanks."

Although having no idea, Younghyun still nodded and showed his friendly smile before heading to the cashier to order. He read all the menu carefully as if he was doing a test. He absolutely chose iced americano, but what about this Human Nutrition majored student would like? Hopefully she was not on a strict diet. After so much consideration, he finally picked iced tea latte for Hwari.

"Thank you," she said as she received her drink.

"I think I saw Woosung around here earlier," he hesitantly spoke. His eyes were focused only on his iced americano. He didn't even know why he brought up this topic.

"Yeah, I just met him. He was with Hajoon, but Hajoon went to see Hayoon, his sister." Hwari paused to sip her drink. "Remember my friend Hayoon who promotes The Rose?"

Younghyun laughed with unnatural sound and said yes. But how did she... with Woosung... so suddenly?

Younghyun vigorously shook his head, making Hwari turn her head to check on him. Yet she didn't ask why or say anything. Both of them were drowned in silence, enjoying the breeze of the last days of spring.

"Anyway," Hwari started the conversation. "Your songs, they are so emotional. And there's some anger, I suppose?"

Younghyun smiled. "I'll take that as compliments?"

"They're relatable though." Hwari was seen looking at distance. Her eyes seemed empty. Then he turned back to Younghyun. "Jaehyung told me these songs are based on real-life experiences. I guess we're kinda similar when it comes to relationship. I can feel the heart-breaking lyrics you wrote. Especially in 'Congratulations' and 'Letting Go'."

Younghyun smiled again, yet the smile was sort of bitter. "Yeah. Even if I can't be happy for her and I don't wish her happiness, there will be someone who does for her, right?"

"Yeah, maybe. But to let go, you just have to do it yourself. Right?" The iced tea latte now had Hwari's eyes. She emotionlessly kept stirring her drink. "I thought I wouldn't get tired waiting and holding onto him. It is so much better to let go, right? But why is it so hard?" she mumbled.

"You okay?"

Hwari snapped herself back to reality. For one moment she was brought back to a bitter memory. She faked a chuckle. "I was going to ask you. Are you alright? Writing lyrics like that, it must have been painful to experience such a thing."

Younghyun froze. His lips slowly formed a little smile that seemed to have mixed feelings. "I've got a gig to play at a festival in summer break. Come and watch us."

"A gig?"

"Yeah. Dowoon told me you're not into band. But, try to watch our gig, will you?"

"Sure, why not?" Hwari put on her sincere smile.

 

——

 

Judging from Hwari's bitter smile and a snippet of her love life the other day, Younghyun knew both of them had struggled to move on. Yet he didn't want to know any more of her story. Not because of that he wasn't interested in it. But this time, he wanted to try to be happy, and even better, try to make other people happy as well. And for him, heart-breaking break up stories would be unnecessary for that. If he was about to name this, it would be 'Happiness Project'.

Younghyun was going to start the Happiness Project from Hwari. There was no special reason, other than he didn't have big circles like Jaehyung and Hwari was not a total stranger to him although they barely knew each other during high school. In particular, seeing Hwari seem to be not letting go of something in the past was the main reason he wanted to do this. Because he saw himself in Hwari who was vulnerable deep down inside, yet kept faking it to look strong and tough outskde. Because he knew it hurt, and he wanted to escape from it. He didn't want anyone else to go through the same thing.

Now the real question was, how does he do this?

To : Hwari
Are you free this weekend?

Younghyun rolled his body from the edge of his bed to another edge, waiting anxiously for a reply from Hwari. He actually praised himself for being bold enough to text a girl he didn't knew very well. Hopefully Hwari didn't think of him as a freak for suddenly asking her time on weekends.

From : Hwari
Yep. Why is it?

Younghyun almost dropped his body off the bed when he read the reply.

To : Hwari
I've got 2 free tickets to amusement park from Dowoon. Would you like to go with me?

Younghyun's smile grew wide when he received a quick reply that said yes. Weekend was only 2 days away and he was so excited. It got him on fire to finish all assignments that were due next week.

 

Younghyun came to his studio whistling a cheerful melody. His guys didn't have to ask what happened or what was going on, and they were happy for Younghyun. Everyone's mood was never better. A surprise visit from Wooyoung, their senior was making their day even much better.

"Whoa, today you guys are on fire, yeah?" Wooyoung commented when he saw the guys were happily throwing jokes and laughing uncontrollably.

"Are we?" Sungjin sighed. His palms were covering his face.

"Younghyun, come here." Wooyoung summoned his little brother. "I brought you the demo you asked."

"Really?" He stomped towards Wooyoung excitedly. "Finally. Thanks so much, Hyung!" Younghyun took Wooyoung to a quieter room to listen the demo. He instantly nodded his head as approval when the demo was played for only ten seconds.

Wooyoung smiled and gave him a pat on the back of his head.

"Hyung, actually, there's this girl. I'm not that sure yet, but I have a good feeling." Younghyun shyly confessed.

Wooyoung raised his eyebrows in joy. "Really? Glad to hear that, Younghyun."

Younghyun showed his shy smile. He took his phone to show Wooyoung the girl's picture. "This is her. What do you think?"

Wooyoung glanced at Younghyun's phone screen for a quite long time as he drew a wide, cheeky, and mischievous smile. "Very pretty. Your type, yeah?"

Younghyun giggled shyly. "That's what Dowoon said."

"I guess after this I won't receive any drunk call at dawn, right?"

Younghyun only smiled, feeling embarrassed when Wooyoung mentioned about him being drunk and calling at dawn.

 


 

Picture made with Unfold /// photo credit to owner
©
young & new