Loom 3

Sick

"The patient needs to rest at the moment. Her condition has worsened so much over the past few weeks i'm surprised she managed to hang on until now."

The 4 members stood before the doctor in white coat, adrenaline pumping through their body as they registered the new information.

"What do you mean? What condition does our Yerim have?!" Joohyun finally managed to spit out after the shock. Wendy hugged both Seulgi and Joy as they watch the conversation take place with tear-filled eyes. The doctor stared back at them, dumbfounded that they were clueless about the childhood illness Yeri has despite training together for so many years.

Footsteps approached and they looked up to see Yeri's dad walking towards them. 

"I think it's better if Mr Kim explained it himself. I shall take my leave first." The doctor gave them a reassuring smile and shuffled away. 

The 5 of them entered Yeri's room with Mr Kim walking in first. The room was silent except for the rhythmic beeping of the heart monitor and ventilator. Yerim laid on her back, an oxygen mask covered half of her face and wires protruded from all over her chest and arms. The nurse informed them that she will probably be asleep for the next few hours due to the medication before heading out and leaving them alone. 

Yeri's dad held onto his daughter's hand as he spoke. 

"You all must have been worried. Yerimie didn't want you all to know from the start so we decided to repect her decision as well. But since we have reached this stage already, i think it's better for you girls to know." He drew in a shaky breath and turned to look at the remaining members.

"Yerim has Aortic Valve Stenosis since she was born. One of her heart valves is not able to open and close properly and would leak blood at times too. Her last surgery was done the year she joined SM as a trainee and we truly believed that it was a miracle a relapse did not occur the entire time. Well, until now i guess." He turned back to his daughter and her face lovingly. 

The members listened with baited breath, tears threatening to fall from the rims of their eyes. 

"The doctor said that her current stent has started failing a month ago. But she simply refused to admit into the hospital even when it was hard to breathe." A lone tear slipped from his eye. 

"I can't lose her." He squeezed Yeri's limp hand tightly, as if afraid she would leave. 

"Not when her mum's last wish was for me to protect her with my life. I didn't. I failed. I let her get to this-"

"No. You didn't." Joohyun placed her slightly trembling hand on Mr Kim's shoulder and glanced at Yeri's peaceful expression. 

"You didn't fail. She is happy. She brought so much happiness to us since the day we've met. Her cheekiness and laughs fill our days with so much joy so don't say that you failed to protect her. You gave her the life she wanted and that's really all that matters." 

----

Yerim woke up and saw the 4 of them sitting beside her bedside. Through tears, she apologized for letting them down. For needing to postpone the comeback till after her surgery. For hiding her condition from them and most of all, for not trusting that they would be able to take care of her. 

Wendy held her as she sobbed her heart out, patting her back gently everytime she choked on her tears. Joy, Joohyun and Seulgi held on to her hands, promising her that they will always be there to take care of her and soon, the maknae fell asleep nuzzled comfortably in the warmth of Wendy's chest and their love.

 

A/N: Thank you so much for the wait and i will be updating alot more since school is better now. Next story would be a different member but all stories would be sort of linked!