Stylish

Rosy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungeun took a deep breath before entering the password; the small machine on the counter making beeping noises which just raked her nerves up higher. She wasn't sure if her card was going to come through and it made the back of her neck grow cold.

 

And Jungeun wasn't exaggerating, at least, in her perspective. She needed these clothes for work, or else, they were probably going to fire her. The company's card had been lost a few hours ago. Luck was not on her side.

 

"I'm sorry Ms., but your card has been declined."

 

The words rang in her ears painfully, and deep down, she could feel tears welling up - although she wasn't planning on letting them come down her face. Jungeun sighed, closing her eyes for a moment, deliberating what to do….

 

Not many options were available.

 

"Here, swipe mine." A voice came from behind her just as soon as she forced her eyes open.

 

It was a woman; just a bit taller than her, dark brown hair leaning on the redder side, high cheekbones and dressed like eight figures. Before Jungeun could say anything, the transaction had already been completed.

 

The woman's arm brushed against her shoulder as she grabbed the receipt from the cashier. She walked away without a second thought, seemingly unbothered by the brief, if not meaningless, interaction. Jungeun ran after her, not without grabbing the paper bag containing the clothes - she meant to give them back as soon as she catched up to her.

 

"Hey, wait!" Jungeun shouted, breathless. She was already exhausted from all the running around looking for the company card, and the nameless woman wasn't helping at all.

 

Said woman turned around with what Jungeun could only describe as effortless grace, a small smile on her lips. "Yes?"

 

"Ah- I'm sorry, l-lady, I- I can't take this from you." She extended the arm with the bag toward the woman, nervous and shuffling, but trying not to show it. It was hard to behave like a normal person, particularly in front of someone who seemed nothing like commonfolk. Someone who seemed like royalty.

 

The woman laughed; a small, cheerful but still graceful laugh, and approached Jungeun with elegant steps.

 

"What is your name?" The woman asked, keeping her gaze at Jungeun unwavering.

 

"It's… it's Jungeun." She breathed out, returning her arm to a natural position after realising the woman wouldn't take the bag. In all honesty, she began to feel like an idiot while facing her.

 

"I'm Sooyoung. And you will take it, okay?"

 

"That's… that's too much…" the words trembled coming out of her lips, "Sooyoung."

 

Sooyoung smiled after hearing her name. "It's not. Besides, I didn't do it out of charity, but because I wanted to."

 

Jungeun couldn't understand. Her eyes travelled side to side, wandering, while her own mind wandered as well. Out of nowhere, this? It wasn't possible her luck had come back. It never did.

 

"You have good taste. I noticed." Sooyoung remarked, observing Jungeun with curious eyes. "If you really wish to repay me, come give me a visit. Here."

 

Sooyoung handed her a platinum card, with letters engraved in burgundy red. It felt cold to the touch, and Jungeun stared at it for a long time, memorizing the numbers and letters slowly.

 

“I’ll see you soon.” Sooyoung gave her a small wave, and left the store, leaving Jungeun alone and confused.

 

The woman had definitely made an impression.

 

Akin to a lipstick stain on skin.

 

[...]

 

She moved the card between her fingers, brows furrowed, lost in thought. By now, she didn’t need it anymore; everything was already in her mind, swimming around like new information that doesn’t know just where to settle down yet.

 

Jungeun had escaped being fired this time, although dismissing it as luck. For her, it was just a coincidence that Sooyoung had swept in just in time. But she wasn’t sure how long the company would still keep her; she feared not long.

 

Besides, it was always good to have more options at your side, particularly when you are dangling from the edge, sure you’re going to fall soon. And of course that was the reason - not because the woman’s perfect complexion and elegance was imprinted in Jungeun’s mind.

 

Not at all.

 

She grabbed her bag, took a deep breath, and left for the bus stop, rehashing possibilities and more possibilities in her mind.

 

It didn’t take long for her to find the address. After all, it was the tallest and most eye-catching building in the province. Jungeun headed for the door with nervous steps, still quite unsure, but not plan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter