The first steps

The Warrior and the Mage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi again thank you all so much for reviewing the previous chapter. Irene has joined now and let’s see how things are going. Please enjoy.


 

The thing about not being outside in many years is now very little stamina you have for long journeys. Irene felt faint so often that even potions didn’t help but so much. It was Seulgi who would notice and made sure they set up camp as often as the mage needed for her to rest. Irene was genuinely surprised by the human warrior who has been nothing at all like the elf expected for her to be. Irene always had it in her head that nobles were rude and uncaring towards anyone not of their stature. Seulgi was no such noble. She watched how active Seulgi was with the actual setting up of each camp they stayed in. The warrior could build fires, set up tents, fish and hunt too.

 

“You did good,” Jessica nods to the bounty of fish the younger woman was able to catch for them.

 

“I told you I didn’t just sit around in a castle all day.” Seulgi remembers being as young as 13 and learning how to use a shield and sword. She remembers going out with her father to learn how to hunt and trap game. She even recalls her very first small mission to lead the castle guards by her father.

 

“Your father is the Teryn of Highever?” Jessica asks but says it in a way that suggests she already knows the answer.

 

“He is. I haven’t been able to really send word to my family since this whole journey began, so I’m hopeful I can at least send a letter soon.”

 

“You will. We will return to Haven by tomorrow anyway, let Tiffany know you want to get in contact with your family. She’ll make it happen.” The rogue assures and then heads toward her tent. Seulgi notices Irene sitting down on a log by the fire. The warrior grabs another one of the grilled fish and brings it over.

 

“Irene?”

 

The mage tenses up and raises her hands as if about to cast a spell.

 

“Whoa, hey there. I’m sorry if I startled you.”

 

Irene isn’t yet used to being outside and almost every sound or noise startles her. The other day she accidentally shocked the other human warrior because his armor made a sound.

 

“I’m sorry.” The dark-haired elf lowers her hands. “I’m still getting used to being outside.”

 

“I understand,” Seulgi nods. “I just wanted to know if you had enough to eat. Would you like some more fish?” The human presents her with another piece of fish that the elf thanks her for.

 

“We will be at Haven tomorrow, so at the least you can rest as much as you can. I know it wasn’t an easy decision for you but we do appreciate your help.”

 

Irene nods and looks up at the sky that is still damaged from the events at the temple. It’s important that it’s resolved and the mage feels if she can help she will.

 

“The sky needs to be healed, and you have the means to do so.” Irene gestures to her hand that has the mark. She caught glimpses of the green mark on the human’s hand, and could sense the magical energy coming from it. The reason why Seulgi must be able to close all the fade rifts is probably because the mark must be coming from the fade itself. The dark-haired human looks down to her glowing hand.

 

“It’s been helping so far. I’ll keep doing what I can, anyway get some rest soon. I’ll be watching the camp tonight, at least the first shift anyway.”

 

“Goodnight, Seulgi and thank you.” She mentions the fish too and the warrior smiles kindly before heading back to where she was. Irene thinks she still has no idea what to expect but she knows this is where she needs to be. The following afternoon is when they reach Haven and Irene can see the old village in person. There are warriors gathered outside the walls and are going through various trainings. Inside she sees all the small houses, village tavern, and the Chantry. She follows behind Seulgi and Jessica as they are the ones who have recruited her.

 

“Is there anywhere in particular you’d like to stay?” The hooded woman questions.

 

“I…” Irene is unsure. She ends up deciding to stay in the chantry as there’s quiet and she can probably find some space to herself there. Jessica leaves them soon so she can talk with Summer and Tiffany. Seulgi decides to help the mage get settled and takes her to where she can rest.

 

“It’s not the biggest room. But it’s quiet and you can rest without being disturbed.”

 

Irene thinks Seulgi must be too used to living in a castle. This isn’t some broom closet by any means and she certainly has more space here than when she was an apprentice mage. She places her staff down and the knapsack too.

 

“I think this is more than fine, Seulgi. Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome. You shouldn’t be bothered by anyone either. Because we have all sorts here, humans, elves, and I’ve seen a few dwarves too. Just the same if someone should be rude and call you out of your name, please let me know.”

 

Irene thanks her again for the kindness and Seulgi leaves soon enough. The elf looks around and almost immediately settles into the comfortable bed. The circle tower certainly didn’t have beds like this. Irene hopes to build more stamina during the journey as the last thing she wants to do is slow anyone down. For now she can’t help but to fall asleep just from being exhausted. Seulgi actually gets summoned to meet Tiffany in her office. The dark-haired ambassador is sitting at her desk writing letters when she notices Seulgi.

 

“Lady Seulgi, hello. I’m glad you could meet me.”

 

“Is there something wrong?”

 

“No, not at all. I was hoping you would be able to send a letter to your family. Your father is Teryn and any help he could offer would be most appreciated.”

 

“Sure, I was meaning to write a letter to my family anyway. I’ll ask him and see what he can do for the cause. Did Jessica tell you we found a companion?”

 

“She did.” Tiffany nods with a smile. “I’m glad you did find someone to help. It’s been a long journey so please get some rest soon.”

 

“I will, thank you.”

 

Seulgi leaves so that she can write the letter to her family. It’s been a while now since havin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter