Circle Mage Irene

The Warrior and the Mage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I just wanted to thank those of you who commented and are giving this fic a chance. It meant a lot to me. Okay so just to give an idea of where this takes place. The main countries are Ferelden (based off England), Orlais (based on France). There are other countries/places too but I'll mention them as needed, this game itself is set in like back when kings and queens reigned and of course we have mythical creatures like dragons for example. I will again make notes for anything that could be confusing. Thanks so much again. Seulgi needs companions, hm, let’s see her get her first one in this chapter.


 

Irene waved her hand over the lantern by her beside to increase the brightness of her reading light. Since recently completing her apprenticeship and moving up in the ranks of the circle tower. She no longer has to sleep in crowded quarters with the rest of the apprentice mages, and has her own living space, which is more than fine with the young elf. It’s not to say that some of the others weren’t nice. She had some among her fellow apprentice mages who she didn’t mind talking to. But the dark-haired elf finds she likes the quiet of her own space, where she can study spells in peace. Irene has been living here in the Ferelden circle tower since she was 7 and the templars took her away from her family, as like any mage once it’s discovered someone has magic they are taken to the nearest circle tower, where they can learn how to control their magic. In some ways it’s good, being able to learn as much as she can is good, being watched by the templars makes it feel like a prison.

 

It’s even worse in ways now that news has reached about what happened at the temple back in Haven. The divine has been murdered and templars and mages are at war, with each side blaming the other. Many circle towers all over have disbanded and have taken to fighting and the mages have become rebels. Irene thinks it’s a good thing they have first enchanter Seohyun to lead them. She is a smart, fair, and kind leader who Irene has known since she was a young child. Irene turns the pages of the tome, a book she has probably read countless times when there is a knock at the entrance to the dorms. The elf gets up and sees it’s Jennie.

 

Jennie is a young warrior turned Templar from a noble house. Where her father was a small lord in a small town. She is also one of the nicer templars who is kind to Irene, and has never called her out of her name for being an elf.

 

“Hi, Irene. How are you?”

 

“I’m well, Lady Jennie.”

 

“Hey none of that Lady Jennie stuff, I’m just Jennie. I just wanted to say congratulations on passing your harrowing. It was one of the best displays we’ve seen here in so long.”

 

The harrowing is a test all apprentice mages must go through to prove their ability to resist demons, and be recognized as a true mage. Irene had to go into the fade and resist a demon who tried to overtake her, and even First enchanter Seohyun praised her abilities.

 

“Thank you, it’s something I’m glad to be done with.”

 

“Yeah, I’m just glad the demon didn’t overtake you, I wouldn’t have wanted to be the Templar to take you down.”

 

Irene nods, as she knows if a mage loses to the demons the Templars have to kill them. The dark-haired elf wonders why it is Jennie is here.

 

“Oh, so First enchanter said we might be getting some important guests soon. I think from the Inquisition, maybe even the cursed one too.”

 

The walls have ears and Irene has heard templars and other mages talking about this alleged cursed one. She is a noble woman who survived the attack and ended up with a curious mark on her hand, and Irene wonders why would she come here, if rumors are true.

 

“Is she really a noble?”

 

“Oh, yea!” Jennie nods. “She’s supposed to the Teryn’s daughter too, so way more important than a lowly noble like myself.” The human grins. “It be cool to meet her if she does come here. Anyway, I better get going. Have a good evening, Irene.”

 

“You too, Jennie.”

 

Irene closes her tome and lays down on the bed. She wonders about this cursed one too, and how could she have survived an entire attack when no one else did. What if she really is coming here to visit? Irene supposes she will find out for sure soon enough.


 

It’s been a few weeks now since Seulgi has joined the Inquisition and has even gone out on small missions with some of Summer’s soldiers, and even Yoona will join too with her mages. It’s been good helping cities and towns as she can by sealing the rifts, but this morning Seulgi is summoned by Jessica who tells her to meet in the war room of the chantry. The young noble dresses in a plain tunic and dark dress pants before heading into the war room that’s setup in the church. Tiffany smiles first when she notices Seulgi.

 

“Good afternoon, Lady Seulgi. I’m so glad you could join us.”

 

“Yea, about damn time kid.” Summer nods to her. Jessica says nothing but nods to her.

 

“I was told to meet you all here?”

 

“Yes, so it’s true that you have been an added help so far, Lady Seulgi. We were all discussing how you might need some companions.”

 

“Companions?”

 

“Yes, you’re going to need people to travel with you, a team in other words.” Jessica speaks.

 

“But you and General Summer can fight.”

 

Seulgi knows they can fight. She sees the way the commander leads the troops and how she fights in battle with her sword and shield. Jessica too is an amazing rouge. You don’t even hear her coming and her arrows never miss.

 

“I am retired, kid.” Summer laughs.

 

“You fought before!” Seulgi complains and the taller warrior looks like she will murder the younger one, so Seulgi shuts up.

 

“What about you?” The monolid woman looks at Tiffany who laughs in amusement.

 

“Ah, I’m sorry Seulgi, I am really just an Ambassador.”

 

“All she can do is talk someone to death.” Summer teases and Jessica laughs some to the point that has the dark-haired woman frowning.

 

“Anyway, we would feel it best if you had some companions, but don’t worry Jessi will help you until you find the necessary companions.”

 

“You will?” Seulgi says in surprise as the rogue doesn’t look all that interested in anything, let alone helping her get companions. The hooded woman nods and stands up.

 

“I have an idea on where we could find your first companion, but we need to go to the Ferelden circle tower, as it’s one of the few still in tact. We will leave in the morning, with a few soldiers. Get some rest, Seulgi. It will take at least three days before we get there.”

 

“Oh, sure Jessica.”

 

The rogue says no more but the way she gestures makes Seulgi know she is supposed to follow her, and so Seulgi says goodbye to Summer and Tiffany before following the brunette. They are leaving the church when Yoona comes out from Tiffany’s small office she has set up.

 

“Jessica?”

 

“Yes?” The rogue turns to look at the mage. Yoona looks nervous then in that moment, more so than Seulgi thinks she has ever seen the blonde mage.

 

“You’re going to the Ferelden tower, right?”

 

“Yes, that would be right.”

 

“Will you tell Hyunnie hi for me. I hope she’s doing okay.”

 

The rogue nods and says she will do this for Yoona and then she leads Seulgi outside. Whenever Seulgi returns to the fort she can always find Jessica here in the tent talking to her spies. Jessica tells her to sit and they do.

 

“I will accompany you for as long as you need, at least until you find adequate companions.”

 

“I understand, Lady Jessica.”

 

Jessica frowns some. “There is no need for titles here, I am just the spymaster.”

 

During her few weeks Seulgi has had time to really learn information. Jessica knew the divine personally and worked for her. Jessica was also a well known bard and served in the church for a while as a sister.

 

“But you knew the divine?”

 

“I did.” Jessica nods. “But the divine is dead, and now we have a situation on our hands. Rest well, Seulgi. We leave in the morning for the circle tower.”

 

“I understand, thank you, Jessica.”

 

Seulgi leaves the rogue alone and heads back to the house she’s been staying in. She doesn’t know who she will find in the Ferelden circle tower, but if she can find any assistance she will be grateful, as any help is better than nothing. The morning they leave Seulgi can see Tiffany talking to Jessica with what looks like a worried expression. It’s clear to the warrior there is something between them. Seulgi is double checking to see she has enough potions, and definitely her sword and shield when Yoona taps her.

 

“Yoona?”

 

“Hi, Seul.” The blonde smiles. “Would you mind bringing this to the First Enchanter for me.” The mage presents her with an enchanted red rose. “Just give it to her. She will know.”

 

“Oh, okay. I’ll deliver it to her, Yoona.”

 

“Thank you, have a safe trip.”

 

Jessica is trying to leave but Tiffany pulls her to a quick kiss.

 

“Tiff,” The brunette complains softly.

 

“Hey, I won’t see you for a few weeks at the least. I just want you to be safe, and take care of Seulgi too.”

 

Jessica gives her a serious look. “You know I can handle this. I’ll see you later, Tiff.”

 

“I know, I love you, Jessi.”

 

“I love you.” The rogue promises and then leaves to join Seulgi, the soldier of Summer’s and one of Yoona’s mages.

 

“Are you ready?”

 

Seulgi nods and places her sword into its sheath and follows Jessica toward the direction of the Ferelden circle tower. It will take a few days at the most and that’s including stopping for camp. Seulgi hopes this will turn out well, whatever happens.


 

One afternoon while Irene is in the library trying to study. She hears excited footsteps running toward her, and looks up to see one of the other newly appointed mages.

 

“Irene, come quick!”

 

“What’s happened?” The elf looks up from her studies because the other mage just looks frantic and excited.

 

“First Enchanter wants you now, we have importan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter