Indigo

Rainbows

Jennie and I were walking down the moonlit bridge. She was grabbing my hands really tight while we chat about a lot of things. One thing that I remembered was we were talking about something related to Pinocchio, but I don’t remember what we were talking about. Pinocchio is the only word I can recall. Oh, and Jennie was wearing a hat, a wide black hat.

For some reason, the place felt like Old London. I remember seeing a tall tower with a slightly lit clock on its walls. In the middle of the bridge I stopped, and for some reason, Jennie asked me to buy some wine and for some reason, I agreed. Before I left her, I remembered looking back at Jennie and she gave me a pretty smile. The sight of Jennie smiling in front of the big full moon was beautiful. Then I left for the drinks and soon came back with two bottles of wine.

But when I came back, Jennie wasn’t there. But there was something at the middle of the bridge. There was a baby, and the baby was crying.

I looked around and couldn’t find Jennie. I felt sad, it was like at that moment I felt that I won’t be able to see Jennie again. And then as the baby stopped crying, I started to cry.

‘I miss Jennie.’, I thought to myself. I tried to call Jennie’s name but voice wouldn’t come out of my mouth. I was crying and missing Jennie so hard.

 

Then I slowly opened my eyes and saw the familiar sight of my room’s ceiling. There were tears welling up in my eyes. It was a weird dream, and for some reason, I started to feel sad and I want to see Jennie so bad. Luckily, It was the day of Jeju trip with my family, and Jennie. Oh, by the way, I am the youngest in my family with one older brother and one older sister.

The company announced a 4-day holiday for all of the company’s staffs, members, and trainees. My family decided to go on a trip to Jeju Island, and Jennie said that she would spend the holiday alone in her house cause her Mom went to New Zealand for some business. So, because spending holiday alone is a no no, I invited her to come along.

Suddenly the bell rang. It was Jennie. I rushed to the front door and greeted her. I was so relieved to see her smiling at my front door. I grabbed her hand and invited her to come into my house to introduce her to my family. Jennie wore a black hoodie with light brown shorts, she looked so chic and cool. This was the second time Jennie came into my house. The first time she came, the house was empty and no one was there except for my Mom. So, didn’t have the chance to properly introduce Jennie to the other members of my family.

We walked into the living room and there were my parents and my siblings. Jennie bowed and greeted my family.

“Annyeonghaseyo”, said Jennie with a somewhat cute voice.

My family answered her greetings and smiled.

“Wow, you’re pretty”, said my older sister. Dad agreed with what my sister was saying.

“Thank you”, Jennie answered.

“It’s hard, isn’t it? Sharing a room with Jisoo”, said my older brother.

Jennie let out a laughter while politely denying the statement, “No, she’s been helping me a lot”, she said as she looked at me. I shot a heart arrow towards her.

“Have you eaten, Jennie?”, asked my Mom.

“Um, Yes”, answered Jennie.

I knew she lied. Then I asked her, “What did you eat?”, I said while taunting her to lie again.

“Um…, what?”, Jennie was kinda panicking.

“You haven’t eaten anything, haven’t you?”, I said.

“Jisoo, fix her some toast and milk, you can’t go on a trip with an empty stomach, Jen”, said my Dad.

Jennie smiled awkwardly and bowed. Anyway, I made her eat some foods before we departed. Then after that, we went to the airport. And just after 2 hours of playing games inside the plane with Jennie, we arrived at Jeju Island. As soon as we got off the plane, it was a culinary tour.

We travel around and ate a lot. Every time we stopped to eat something, Jennie would whisper to me, “I can’t”, but still she had to eat all of those foods, with my help. Then at the market, I found some kind of mask of Jeju’s iconic Dolharubang statue, and bought it because it looked weird and funny. After about 2 more rounds of eating, we went to the hotel to rest our legs and our stomach.

 Jennie was dead, she was struck with nausea the whole time we were on the way to the hotel. And after we arrived at the hotel, we went to our rooms. I shared a room with Jennie. As soon as I opened the room Jennie hastily walked towards the single bed on the right side and sat like a statue. She was so pale and kept touching her head. I walked to the other single bed near the window and started unpacking my things.

“Are you okay?”, I asked Jennie.

She just nodded and then laid on the bed.

“Do you want to drink some water?”, I asked again.

She didn’t reply.

 

After that, I did something kinda stupid and dense. I admit that I was wrong, but my intentions were good, and I didn’t know that Jennie was such a scaredy-cat. I mean It wasn’t even scary to begin with.

I unpack my Dolharubang mask and wore it. I slowly crept towards Jennie’s bed and began making some small shrieking voice. Jennie noticed that something was moving towards her. And when Jennie took a peek, I scared her with a loud scream. She was shocked beyond belief and screamed. Then suddenly she puked on the bed, and I was kinda surprised.

Jennie ran towards the bathroom, and there she puked into the water closet. I approached Jennie from behind while still wearing my mask, then gently rubbed her back. She slapped my hands really hard.

“Get out!”, Jennie screamed.

I was surprised and kinda frustrated because she slapped my hands. I got out of the bathroom with an awkward smile. I took out my phone, laid on my bed, and played a game while waiting for Jennie to come out from the bathroom.

And then after a while. Jennie came out with a pale face and sullen eyes. She walked towards her bed and noticed the puke on her bed and then walked towards my bed. I was silently playing games while trying to steal a glance at Jennie. She then laid on my bed facing away from me.

“I’m sorry, Jennie”, I said to her while still playing a game on my phone.

Jennie was silent.

“I thought I would cheer you up with the mask, but…”, I stuttered and remembered my grandpa’s advice to never make an excuse when apologizing.

“Anyway sorry, I was wrong”, I said to her losing my focus on the game.

“I almost choked myself to death, unnie”, Jennie said with a hoarse voice.

I let out a small laughter because of that innocent words, then continue playing my game.

“Yeah, sorry Jennie”, I answered while smiling and holding back my laughter. Then I focused on my game again. I almost topped the online scoreboard when suddenly Jennie faced me and grabbed my phone. I was surprised and a sudden anger exploded as I punched her hand really hard. I was blinded by anger, and as soon as I regained control of myself Jennie was holding her hands in pain and whimpered. Tears were welling up in her eyes.

I felt really sorry for her but my ego held me from apologizing. Instead, I yelled at her, “Don’t you ever do that to me Jennie, I’m older than you”, she was sniffling really quietly. Then she slowly rose from the bed, went to the bathroom, then walked out of the room. I just glare at her while continuing my game session.

I waited in the room for Jennie, but she didn’t come back. It was almost an hour. I started to lose my focus on the game and decided to look for Jennie. I walked out to find my brother on his way back to the hotel room.

“Oppa, what are you doing outside at this hour?”, I asked my brother.

He made a sign language that told me that he was smoking. My parents prohibited him to smoke because of his weak body, but he still sometimes smoke secretly. I wanted to tell him off, but he also knows my secrets and didn’t tell anybody, so it was like a mutual symbiosis thingy.

“Did you see Jennie?”, I asked my brother.

“She’s at the bridge, I talked to her and comforted her”, He said as he walked towards the hotel.

 My brother suddenly stopped,

“Does she have a boyfriend?”, asked my brother.

“No. As far as I know”, I answered. It kinda annoyed me when my brother asked about Jennie like that. My brother is a playboy.

“Hmm? Weird. Her face looked like she just had a fight with her BF. It was undoubtedly that kind of face”, said my brother as he continued walking towards the hotel.

Hearing what my brother said, I was flustered for no reason. Then I walked to the bridge.

 

There was no one at the bridge. There were only four lamps lighting the bridge, so the surrounding was kinda dark. I stood on the middle of the bridge, looking for Jennie, but she wasn’t around to be found. I started to feel sad and guilty, to think that I punched her after I made her puke.

Suddenly a voice was heard. It was the voice of a startled Jennie. I walked towards the source of the voice and found Jennie. I approached her and wanted to apologize for punching her. But as soon as I approached her,

“Unnie, look”, she said while pointing her finger towards the fields.

There were fireflies, flickering while flying through the darkness, emanating a one of a kind warm atmosphere that mellows the mood. I could see Jennie’s smile being revealed by the dim lights of fireflies flying around the place. I was relieved.

“Jennie, I’m sorry”, I said to her.

“It’s okay Unnie, I was also wrong”, she answered.

“Oh, and I talked with your brother, he was very nice and funny, he cheered me up a bit”, she said.

“Oh, be careful, he’s a playboy”, I said to her. I felt very jealous for unknown reasons.

“He seems to be a nice guy”, Jennie answered.

“No, just believe me”, I said.

What did my brother said that made Jennie ‘cheered up a bit’?’, I thought.

After enjoying the sight of the fireflies, we went back to our room, and we shared a bed because Jennie's bed was dirty and we were too sleepy to call the room service. So we just removed the sheets, sprayed the bed with perfume and laid on the other bed. As we laid together on the bed, Jennie looked like she was scared and she clung to my pajama as she tries to sleep. Jennie suddenly hugged me from behind and burrowed her face in my back, it seemed that she was very scared, over nothing. And after a while, we fell asleep.

.

.

.

Morning came. I opened my eyes. I see Jennie’s hair. I was hugging Jennie while facing towards her, our faces were really close to each other. I was kinda surprised but gained my composure as to not wake Jennie from her slumber. I was still hugging her, and for some reason I was comfortable. And then I looked at Jennie’s sleeping face. She was smiling, with traces of tears on her cheeks. She was very pretty, and for some reason, I felt really warm.

Then, some kind of weird feeling struck me. I was denying the emotions, and I think I still am. I don’t think that I should jump into conclusions that fast. Maybe it was just something that I can’t explain yet. So, I think we should not jump to any conclusions. Period. Don’t think of any weird stuffs just yet, okay. For now, think together with me,

What did my brother talk about with Jennie?