V

Summer Nights

Hakyeon was delighted to see that everyone was truly making an effort to make it work. Those who lived nearby saw each other as frequently as possible and the group chats were active year long. A lot of them returned to the same camp in the years to follow; it wasn’t always the same squad, but they did get to see one another.

However, Taekwoon was kept from returning through a series of unfortunate circumstances. The others found it quite suspicious, but Hakyeon was always on his side. His reasoning was quite understandable in Hakyeon’s eyes.

Despite this, they stayed in touch. Go figure, Taekwoon was more of a text person rather than video chatting, but it still worked. It worked for a few years, until Taekwoon disappeared.

He stopped replying to everyone’s messages, even deleted some of his social media accounts. The others were upset or worried, but Hakyeon could take a hint. He figured that Taekwoon only needed some space.

That being said, Hakyeon himself couldn’t help but worry and he had to admit to being a bit hurt by the situation even though he knew it wasn’t Taekwoon’s fault. Furthermore, he had been quite excited about moving to Seoul for work, especially because it meant that he’d be closer to his Woonie, but now it was just a painful reminder of Taekwoon’s disappearance from Hakyeon’s life. He was self indulgent enough to send one last message, saying ‘Moving day today’ with a single heart. He didn’t even get a seen.

And what of their feelings? Well, they both knew that distance would be quite the problem and they somewhat expected it to help them get over each other. They met new people over the years, Hakyeon even had a few partners, but nothing too serious. They didn’t talk too much about their relationship statuses anyway.

But perhaps it was social media that made it difficult for their feelings to fade, since it allowed the other’s presence always to be felt via frequent posts. Of course, that too was gone once Taekwoon went away.

Hakyeon then knew that it was truly the time to move on.

Notes: