III

Summer Nights

Hakyeon had let the group of prankers sleep through the night, wondering what would be done to them. In the morning he announced that they’d be taking over all and any chores, from other groups as well. Hakyeon wasn’t the one for public humiliation type of punishment, so he only gave them a small lesson in private and smiled as he left them to work.

The good news was that Taekwoon was no longer avoiding him. Things were back to normal, to say the least. Even though the news must have spread by now, Hakyeon didn’t want to rub it in everyone’s faces. He may have been joking about it being inappropriate, but he did have to stay responsible. That, as well as Taekwoon’s comfort being his priority was the reason Hakyeon and him stayed as they had been.

And, well, Hakyeon’s fear of others or Taekwoon seeing it all as a charity case was still there.

Despite their efforts, of course, things were still different. Not bad different, simply different. Because people were now aware of the situations and were doing their best to leave Taekwoon and Hakyeon alone on various occasions. They didn’t ask Hakyeon for help as much, they wanted to give him the space and leave room for him to spend time with Taekwoon. When the two were left alone, things weren’t awkward. They spent time like they always would; talking or reading together or listening to music. Hakyeon was always alert in case anyone needed him, but the kids seemed to be good at taking care of themselves. There was never any trouble.

At night, however, things were a bit different. Taekwoon and Hakyeon’s two beds in their room were placed in the corner at ninety degrees, in a Г shape. This made it rather easy for Taekwoon's hand to find Hakyeon's. At those times they didn't talk – with Taekwoon's hand in Hakyeon's, neither of them could sign and they realized that in the dark they could hardly make out what the other was signing. Hakyeon also didn't want to awake Jaehwan and Hongbin with his voice or the brightness of their screens, were they to type.

But words weren't necessary. It was the way Taekwoon poked Hakyeon’s cheek to let him know what he wanted.  How Taekwoon smiled when they held hands and pressed kisses to Hakyeon’s knuckles and wrists in gratitude. They often flipped and lay on their stomachs to be able to look at each other and did nothing but smile like love-struck fools.

They fell asleep with their hands intertwined and woke up the same way.

It wasn't until a few days later that Taekwoon pulled Hakyeon to the side after lunch. He seemed nervous yet excited; he was bouncing and fiddling with the hem of his shirt.

Hakyeon couldn’t help but pick up on the mood. He had no idea what was going on, but he was excited as well. “What’s up?” He asked.

Taekwoon left his shirt alone. ‘Go out with me?’

Hakyeon’s lips parted and he let out a small gasp. Immediately he stepped forward and pulled Taekwoon into a hug. Hakyeon was quick to pull away, seeing as he hadn’t asked permission first. He simply couldn’t help it this time.

“Sorry, I’m sorry, I’m just...” He trailed off. He was smiling like an idiot.

Taekwoon was shaking his head, smiling just as brightly. ‘It’s fine, I don’t mind.’

“Well, in that case...” Hakyeon hugged him again, climbing on his tiptoes to do so properly.

Taekwoon was laughing, and although that as well was quiet, Hakyeon got to hear his voice. It was melodic and gentle, even if a bit strained. His laughter sounded like he was watching something funny at 5 am with people sleeping in the room and didn’t want to wake them up. But Hakyeon was grateful to hear it.

‘I take that as a yes.’

“Of course!” Hakyeon exclaimed. “Just... How will we pull that off?”

Taekwoon straightened up. ‘Leave that to me.’

 

The fact that Taekwoon didn’t tell Hakyeon what he was planning made him boil with anticipation. But that day passed, the sun set and they went to bed as usual. Leo slipped his hand into Hakyeon’s and they went to sleep. That night they didn’t scoot closer to each other, or look at each other or any of the things they had been doing. They just called it a night, even though Hakyeon found it odd.

When Hakyeon regained consciousness and his eyes fluttered open, it was still dark. As he looked around in the darkness and reached for Taekwoon’s bed only to find it empty, he realized that what had woken him up was Taekwoon’s hand leaving his own.

He sat up and squinted. “Taekwoonah?”

The younger appeared in front of him with his phone in his hands. He threw something in Hakyeon’s lap. He picked it up and felt the synthetic fabric – it was his own swimsuit.

Hakyeon looked up at Taekwoon quizzically. “We’re going somewhere?” He whispered.

Taekwoon showed him his phone. On the screen in the notes app was a message that simply read ‘Date. Trust me.’

Hakyeon grinned and got out of his bed. He didn’t hesitate for a second.

When they were both dressed up, they sneaked out of the dorm together. As soon as they were out the door Taekwoon grabbed Hakyeon’s hand and they started running down the road towards the beach. They were both laughing, it felt like they were running away from someone, something, even though no one was after them. The important thing was to never let go of each other’s hand.

They reached the beach and slowed down. They collapsed on the sand under the big umbrella that was now closed. They took a moment to admire the stars scattered in the dark and the full moon, bright in the sky. It reflected in the water and led a silver, shimmering path to them.

Hakyeon didn’t admire the scenery veiled in darkness for too long. His eyes soon rested on Taekwoon, his dark hair and pale skin. He seemed to be glowing in the moonlight.

And Hakyeon’s heart suddenly tightened, not quite in a bad way. The sudden need to be close to Taekwoon, as close as possible, was what was pressing down on him.

“Taekwoonah,” he called quietly.

Taekwoon turned to look at Hakyeon.

“Thank you for this.”

Taekwoon had to pull his hand out of Hakyeon’s in order to respond. ‘I should be thanking you.’

Hakyeon paused. “Maybe... But why shouldn’t I also?”

‘I hardly did anything for you.’

“Okay, that is not true. You did this and you have done things for me before. Every time you let me touch your hair or kiss your cheek. Every time you decided to play some game with the others or even got out of the room. What about the rice cakes you made? You showed us your dancing, you let me see that one sketch... You’ve done plenty.”

Taekwoon was looking down, heat was slowly rising to his cheeks.

“What, you think that doesn’t count?” Hakyeon taunted.

‘I didn’t think it did,’ Taekwoon admitted.

“Well it does. And I’m thankful,” Hakyeon said softly.

Taekwoon was smiling, but he quickly turned his head away.

Hakyeon scooted over. “Woonie, it’s okay.”

Taekwoon waved him off, shaking his head as if to say that he’s fine. But he couldn’t keep the tears from falling.

Hakyeon slowly wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close. “It’s okay. Breathe. Hey, I really hope these are happy tears because otherwise it’s unacceptable,” he added in a joking tone.

Taekwoon let out a small laugh, but he clung onto Hakyeon for a little longer. He needed some time to calm down.

When he did, he threw a glance at Hakyeon and sighed. ‘I’m sad because once this is over, I’ll have to go back to people who aren’t as accepting as you.’ He frowned. ‘I think you spoiled me too much. It’ll be hard to go back to being ignored or treated like a freak.’

Hakyeon shook his head. “Woonie, there is always kindness in the world. Maybe you haven’t had luck with it so far, but hey, wasn’t it different here? People were kind to you here, weren’t they? And let me tell you that I am not unique in the world, there are so many people like me, who will treat you well.”

Taekwoon chewed on his bottom lip while he took the time to think about it. ‘I suppose... But I don’t want anyone else.’ He paused suddenly and tucked his hands between his thighs. He sank into himself and bowed his head as if he’d said something wrong.

Hakyeon placed his hand on Taekwoon’s shoulder. “That’s flattering. And you know I love flattery.”

Taekwoon gave a weak smile. He shook his head and stood up. Perhaps he didn’t want to continue the conversation. Instead, he took Hakyeon by the hand and pulled him up.

“This was an amazing idea, by the way,” Hakyeon said, grinning.

Taekwoon was all smiles as well, now that they moved on from the heavier topic. Hakyeon discarded his shirt and didn’t wait for Taekwoon to do the same. But as he turned around to call for him, Hakyeon saw that he did.

He seemed a bit nervous as he approached, he clearly didn’t want to be looked at. That’s why Hakyeon decided to look away, but to him Taekwoon was absolutely stunning. Hakyeon stood closer to him and they locked hands; Hakyeon wanted him to know that everything was okay and that he’s thankful for Taekwoon’s trust.

The tension eased quickly once they were in the water. Hakyeon was making Taekwoon laugh with his act of being scared of everything, often leaping into Taekwoon’s arms in terror. Hakyeon would pretend to cry, overdramatically, and bury his face in the crook of Taekwoon’s neck for comfort. Taekwoon laughed, more freely than ever, and held him.

At some point they settled, however. Hakyeon was measuring their hands as if they hadn’t done so hundreds of times before. They had both fallen silent. Hakyeon then locked eyes with Taekwoon and pressed himself closer to the younger, resting his head on his shoulder. Hakyeon admired Taekwoon’s slim waist.

He didn’t have to say anything. It was his touch that was filled with adoration as he traced Taekwoon’s waist and arms, fingers brushing over his collarbones and down his chest. It was saying “you’re beautiful” with no words.

Taekwoon was blushing, hiding his face, but not protesting. He didn’t push Hakyeon away, no, he tightened his grip on his hips.

Hakyeon stopped once he thought he’d made his point, he didn’t want to go too far. But he was happy, he had finally gotten the closeness he’d been craving. Not that it was enough, he still wanted to pull Taekwoon even closer, hug him even tighter, but Hakyeon was patient.

And to his surprise it was Taekwoon who made the next move. Patience pays off.

Taekwoon may have been shaking and he may have been hesitant, but still he was the one to close the gap between them. He didn’t seem to really know what to do from there though, and Hakyeon happily took over the kiss. He had to do his best not to smile even though his heart was fluttering and he felt like he’d burst. He slipped his fingers into Taekwoon’s now wet hair and kissed him slowly, trying to help him relax and ease into it.

Taekwoon’s eyes fluttered shut and he went with it, let Hakyeon take care of him. Their tender touches, lips moving slowly in a gentle kiss, it was saying “I love you” with no words.