Erase and Rewind

Hyoyeon Song-fics collection

somewhere in between....

 

"Jinki?" 

The conversation around the table came to a stand-still as the party of five - all male - eyed the young woman eagerly.

She had a pretty face with brown hair that fell in graceful waves over her narrow shoulders, highlighting her delicate collarbone. Though underdressed for the bar in a simple flowery dress and sneakers, the dress hugged her curves perfectly accentuating her tiny waist and flaring out into a short skirt that gave a good eyeful of her well toned legs. But her most alluring feature was her lips - full and red; the color of wine
She was swaying slightly.

"Jinki?" she repeated ignoring, or rather, unaware of the hungry eyes on her.

The man she was speaking to looked around at his friends quickly and stood up - straightening his jacket, "Yes?"

Her face broke into a wide, relieved smile - so bright she appeared to radiate light.
"I knew it was you!" her speech slurred a little.

She rushed to put her arms around him and he hugged her back ignoring his friends' questioning looks. 
"Wanna go dance?" he asked leading her to nod her head vigorously, "I thought you'd never ask!"

*********************

"She's gone! Oh my god what am I going to do? She's just disappeared!"


"Calm down Tiffany. I know where to find her."
Jessica hurriedly grabbed her bag and rushed out the door. 

********************

"You're a great dancer," he whispered in her ear as they swayed to the beat in unison. The music transitioned to a slow R&B number and she slithered around in his arms seductively, driving him to distraction.

"And you're not! I know that Jinki ya," she giggled like a school girl, "but that's why we are so perfect together!"

He dragged his hands downward slowly from around her waist to her hips and drew her closer. "Let's get some fresh air," he murmured close to her ear and she nodded.



Once they were off the dance floor he led her down the dimly lit corridor towards the now closed and deserted 'Coat Check' area.

"I'm a lucky guy!" he chuckled as his gaze wandered over her beautiful face. He ran his hands lightly over her bare arms causing her to flinch a little.

Not paying any attention, he lowered his mouth an inch away from hers. Their lips met - but her forehead creased in confusion. There were no sparks.
Still, he kissed here persistently; hands also becoming more daring.

Her mind was buzzing now - Something isn't right!
She tried to put in some distance between them so she could think more clearly, but he picked her up and pinned her against the wall - forcing his tongue down .

"Stop!" she tried to push him away but he was way too strong for her and his hands began roaming all over her body.

**********************

"Club Serengeti, please!" Jessica gave the taxi driver the address in an urgent voice. "Please hurry ahjusshi. We have to get there in time!"

She was positive that's where she would find Hyoyeon. Every time she sneaks out, that's always where she lands up. Jessica wondered why she was so drawn to that place...

===============================================================

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if you could please join me in toasting the happy couple!" The room fell silent - smiles all around.
"In case you don't know me I am the best man - Kim Kibum - best friend to both Jinki and Hyoyeonnie," he paused. "When I say it like that, it makes me sound kind of like the pathetic third wheel, huh?"

The crowd burst into laughter as Hyoyeon rapidly shook her head and reached out for Kibum's hand. "Never!" she mouthed and he gave her a wink in response.
"That was a joke! These two right here would never bear to hurt anyone. I would know! They even asked me to join them on their honeymoon so that I wouldn't be lonely back here!" 

More laughter followed.

"But my lame jokes aside, Hyoyeonnie and Jinki, I would just like to say, no two people deserve to be happy more than you guys - your love has been an inspiration to me and many other people, as you can tell by the size of this party. Hey we managed to rent out the hottest Club in town! Everyone make some noise!" 
Their friends and family cheered and hooted.

"You belong together and we hope you have a happy married life. Congratulations! I love you both!"
"Congratualations! We love you both!" the entire room chorused.



Hyoyeon wiped the tears from her eyes with her napkin and Jinki leaned over to kiss her cheek - both their faces glowing from pure unrestrained happiness and gratitude.

Kibum stepped down from the podium and engulfed the couple in a gigantic hug. "You two better legally adopt me when you get back!"

----------

"Sorry baby," Jinki smiled apologetically when he stepped on Hyoyeon's shoe as they danced together.

She just waved her hand away, the radiant smile still set on her face. Jinki thought she looked like an angel and wondered how he got so lucky.

"You know, I thought you were just pretending to be a bad dancer so that I would give you private lessons!" she clucked her tongue teasingly and Jinki pouted in fake sadness, "Nope, this is the real me - clumsy double left foot and all!"
Cuddling closer to him, she rested her head against his chest, "Well I don't care as long as you are my clumsy double left footed Jinki!"
"Good," he replied in a satisfied tone, "because there's no turning back after this Saturday." 

He raised her chin and kissed her lips chastely, "I love you."
"I love you too!" She forced herself to break the kiss with a disgruntled sigh, "I wish my parents weren't watching us like hawks right now."

"Hey I am going to be your husband now - I'm sure they don't mind. In fact, your mom just told me that she expects grandchildren by next Christmas!" Her eyes widened in embarassment causing him to let out a delighted chuckle, "and I told her we'd get working on it right away!"

"Yah!" her cheeks turned bright pink and she slapped him arm lightly, "How can you say things like that to my mother!"

"What?" he blinked innocently, "We have to listen to the orders of our elders. Quick! She's looking at us! We should show her that we are earnest." And before Hyoyeon could protest, Jinki wrapped his arms around her tightly and captured her lips... the party, the music, their guests .. Everything faded into the background - It was just Hyoyeon with her Jinki.

===================================================================


"Stop.. Please!" Hyoyeon tried to plead but the man's insistent lips refused to let her utter a sound.
He continued to ravage roughly ignoring the hot tears that were cascading down her face.

He held her cheeks painfully - not letting her move - "I'm Jinki, remember? Don't resist me, sweetheart!" he whispered in her ear causing her to shrivel up in disgust. 

Of course he wasn't Jinki - her Jinki would never speak to her like that.

Panic started to rise in . How was she going to explain this to him? Would he forgive her? 
"What was I thinking? Why did I drink so much?" she screamed in her head as she tried to block out what was really happening.

Her body fell - limp- too weak to fight back.
"I'm sorry Jinki. Hurry please!"

******************

"Get away from her you filthy pig!"

The man halted right as he was reaching for the buttons on Hyoyeon's dress.





Swearing loudly, he turned around. Looking the new arrival up and down, he sneered, "This isn't a costume party, blondie! Mind your own business."
"I said get away from her," Jessica spoke again authoritatively - her voice icy cold and unflinching.

"Or what?" He left Hyoyeon on the ground and walked towards Jessica threateningly.



"Or you get your worthless kicked by me." The almost six foot tall bouncer stepped in between them.
He cracked his knuckles and the man cowered instantly.

"Help Hyoyeon! I'll take care of this punk!"
"Thanks Taecyeon! You're the best!" Jessica rushed forward and scooped the sobbing Hyoyeon in her arms.
"I'm sorry, I didn't see her come in today or I would have let you know." Taecyeon spoke as the girls walked by and Jessica gave him a little smile, "I know... I'll call you!"


"Sica?" Hyoyeon shivered, her voice sounding far away.
"I'm here!" she replied comfortingly.
"Please take me to Jinki! I have to see him.. I have to explain!" She clung to Jessica's arm desperately and Jessica relented, "Ok we're going now."

===========================================================================

"Hyo? Baby?"

Hyoyeon stirred awake slowly - the blazing sunlight forcing her to snap her eyes shut again.
Then all of a sudden, the glare no longer bothered her - there was a shade blocking the harsh sun - and a gentle hand her hair.


Her eyes fluttered open, "Jinki?"

His smiling face came into her view, "Yes, it's me."

She sat up quickly and hugged him as tightly as she could; sobs once again wracking her petite frame.
"Shhh... " he whispered soothingly. His touch was like ointment to her bruised soul.
"You're safe. I'm here - everything will be okay."
"B..but it..it's my fault!" she hiccuped. "I approached him.. I missed you so much.. and he really looked like you - but then I felt his touch and I knew!" She brought his hand to her face and pressed her cheek into his palm, "I knew it wasn't you!"

Her eyes lowered in shame, "I'm sorry."

Jinki kissed her gently. "It doesn't matter - there's nothing to be sorry for, pabo ya! Now be a good girl and stop crying - you're breaking my heart!"
She nodded obediently and tried to control her tears.



He lifted her onto his lap and cradled her, resting his head on top of hers.

She pulled away.

"What's wrong?"
Wordlessly she raised her lips to meet his - kissing him with everything she had. She needed him to know that she loved him - only him.
After they finally broke apart - Jinki's eyes turned into two perfect half moons - "I know, baby. And I love you too - only you!"



Hyoyeon settled back into his arms and perched her head against his chest, "Sing that song to me please, Jinki" and closed her eyes.

Softly, he began,
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves
Upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we walk in the fields of gold.."


He rocked her back and forth and she slowly drifted off to sleep.

*******************************

"Hyoyeon?"

She tried to ignore the voice interrupting her blissful sleep.

"Hyoyeon! Wake up! We are here!" A thin hand was shaking her.

Hyoyeon peered outside throuh heavy lids - the rays from the early morning light greeted her. It was morning again? Disoriented, she took in her surroundings.
She was in a car - Jessica's car, near a large field.

The sun was barely over the horizon but she could see a sea of yellow sunflowers gently swaying in the light summer breeze.

She recognized this place. 

"I'm so going to get in trouble for this!" Jessica was muttering beside her. When she caught Hyoyeon awake and looking at her, she passed her a blanket and smiled kindly. "Want me to go with you?"

Hyoyeon shook her head, biting her quivering lower lip as shaky hands reached for the door handle.

================================================================


"Took you long enough!" Jinki's brightly smiling face welcomed her as she stepped out of the car. His smile really could rival the sun's and although she was certainly biased, Hyoyeon still believed that her Jinki would win.

"Come on, I have a surprise for you!" He grabbed her hand and entwined their fingers together. Hyoyeon held back hesitantly....



"Are you sure we won't get in trouble for trespassing?"
"We'll just have to make a run for it then!" he grinned mischievously and took off his shoes. Hyoyeon followed suit and removed her sandals.

"Ready?"
And the pair raced through the field - ducking through the tall sunflower plants, their feet sinking into the plush fertile ground. 

---------------------

"You're crazy!" She giggled as they finally stopped - panting and gasping for air.
"But you still love me right?" he asked seriously.
"Of course," came her instant response.


Grinning widely, he knelt down on one knee and began singing; 
"Will you stay with me, will you be my love
Among the fields of barley
We'll forget the sun in his jealous sky
As we lie in the fields of gold


I never made promises lightly
And there have been some that I've broken
But I swear in the days still left
We'll walk in the fields of gold..."



"Kim Hyoyeon," he held up a big sunflower "will you marry me?"
It was only then that she noticed a sparkling diamond ring right at it's center.

Hyoyeon's eyes started to get misty as she looked around - everything was so perfect - Jinki, the ring, this place. All her dreams had come true! Did she really deserve to be so happy?

She remembered bringing him here when they were first dating - to show him her favorite place but had been sorely disappointed to find the field fenced off with a massive "Trespassers will be prosecuted" sign.

-------------------

"Hyoyeonah?" he nudged her nervously and she jumped into his arms, "Yes! Yes!"

He spun them both around in circles until they fell to the ground.

Hovering above her, Jinki took her hand and slipped the ring onto her finger. "Thankyou for making me the happiest man in the universe, Mrs. Lee Jinki."
Hyoyeon blushed feeling overcome by a sudden bout of shyness and moved her head so that her curls shielded her bright red cheeks.
Jinki chuckled and pulled them back tenderly so that he could access her lips. 
They sank further into the ground.


As Hyoyeon nestled herself in the crook of his arms a while later, admiring her new ring; Jinki carelessly talked to himself - "It's a good thing she said yes, right guys? Otherwise I wouldn't know what to do with you all."

Hyoyeon sat up with a jolt, "What are you saying?"

Jinki gave her a mysterious wink and pulled her up, "All this," he gave her a 360 degree turn, "is ours!" Then, he pointed to something white in the distance, " And you see that over there? It's our house!"

Hyoyeon squealed in disbelief and rained kisses all over his face, "Jinki! You didn't!"

Holding hands they raced to get a closer look at their home.



Finally, Hyoyeon came to a stop. 

Her mind was getting fuzzy - why were the bright colors starting to fade? She looked down at her bare feet but they weren't bare anymore. She still had her sneakers on. Her heart sank - she didn't have to look beside her for Jinki - she already knew.

With heavy steps, she slowly made her way to the side of the house where she knew she'd find him.

*********************

Jessica stepped out of the car shortly after Hyoyeon left but she didn't follow.
Instead she leaned back against the hood of her car, coffee flask in hand and watched - her eyes slowly filling with tears.

Jessica hardly ever cried - she wasn't known as the Ice Princess without reason. It was precisely how she had gotten to know Hyoyeon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"But Director Park, I thought the promotion was mine. I've completed the required number of cases," Jessica stated in her frank, no nonsense manner.

The older woman examined her for a long time and sighed, "That is true Miss Jung but I believe that a nurse needs to know empathy if she is to be great at her job. If you just learn this one last thing I can proudly say that you are the best nurse our hospital has ever produced."

"With all due respect Ma'm, I don't think that is possible. It's just not in my genes. You know, I didn't even flinch when my puppy had to be put down - and I was only five."

The older woman nodded silently. "Alright then, just look at this case for me as a personal favor. The promotion is yours as soon as you complete it."

"Fair enough," Jessica accepted the case file and prepared to give it the cursory look-over, only paying attention to the medical terms. But to her astonishment, halfway through the case file, her sight began to get blurry and a painful lump arose in .


Patients Lee Jinki and Lee Hyoyeon, both 25, were involved in a car crash on the way to their honeymoon. The accident occured when a drunk driver crashed into their Volkswagon Beetle causing it to collapse into a ditch. Both patients were air-lifted to Seoul National hospital where Mr. Lee was pronounced dead upon arrival. Mrs. Lee is in recovery after a series of surgeries and suffers from temporary selective memory loss due to trauma. She will need serious and constant supervision, especially during early rehabiliation.


Jessica's fingers shook as she looked at the photographs from the crash site - both patients still in their wedding attire, the 'Just Married' sign dejected lying by the roadside, the car hardly recognizable.. it was all so unbelievably tragic. 

It couldn't be - but it was - Jessica was bawling and cursing the unfairness of life; for the first time she was crying for someone else's pain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


She had only been assigned to Hyoyeon for the first three months of her healing period but along the way, she had formed a bond with the young widow - the same age as her - and continued to supervise her case even after her promotion to Head Nurse. 

========================================================================

Hyoyeon's legs threatened to give way as she got closer to her destination. 

"Maybe it was all just a dream, a nightmare.. and this, right here, starting now is reality. Please be alive.." she chanted over and over, even though she was now sure about what awaited her. It didn't make it any easier though when she finally faced him. With a pained yelp, she fell to her knees.

Here lies, Lee Jinki 

1985-2010

Beloved son, friend and husband.



Hyoyeon cried like she hadn't cried before, like she had just found out the truth - but she knew somewhere in the back of her mind that she had been through this... many times. And perhaps there would be many more, for who knew when her memory would choose to forget and reset itself again. 

 

 


'somewhere in between... what is real and just a dream'

Suddenly she felt a stir - something was different this time.. she could feel the change within herself.. in the breeze that gently brushed her face.. in the sun that lit a bright path to the entrance of their house. 

Her gaze switched to the huge field of sunflowers - all of which seemed to bear Jinki's beautiful face - and then over to Jessica who looked exhausted in her crumpled Nurse's uniform but still managed to shoot her an encouraging smile. 

Her hands moved up to her cheeks - the wind had dried her tears. 

She was finally going to be okay.


"I'm home Jinki ya," she whispered as she gently traced her fingertips on his headstone. "I'm sorry it took me so long." 

 


----------------------end-------------------