Four

Knights of the Sun

"Taeyang? What’s wrong?"

The guy stepped inside his room and immediately all the lights. Youngbin was blinded for a moment and when his eyes finally adjusted to the light, he saw the tense line in Taeyang’s shoulder.

“Taeyang-ah?”

The guy’s head snapped up immediately and faced him but the look in his eyes was dim and faraway.

“Tell me what’s wrong,” Youngbin said, guiding him gently towards one of the chairs.

“Rosura… The Shadows, it’s- they’re all wrong and twisted and..., something’s coming,” he answered.

==========

Club Oracle doesn't look as impressive in the morning as it does at night and it certainly isn't supposed to be this busy.  Three huge trucks were parked in front of it and people carrying boxes and all sorts of stuff go in and out of the building in a rush. 

Youngbin can feel Taeyang's apprehension as they made their way on top of the building. It's easy to put two and two together and he needed to talk to Hyejeong before she disappears again.

The Oracle was waiting for them in an almost empty room; the only furniture left was the chair she was sitting on and the black, glass table on which sits a bottle of wine.

"Why are you moving?" Youngbin asked as soon as they reached her. 

"You brought the Shadowalker," she said, nodding at Taeyang. "I'm guessing he told you?"

Taeyang shook his head. "All i know is that something's coming and that Rosura isn't what it was before," he answered in defense. 

“If I were you, I would lessen my trips to the shadoworld. It would do no good for someone like you to be trapped inside it. “she warned. 

“Hyejeong, what the hell’s happening?” Youngbin asked, his voice rising a bit. 

She stood up, face twisted in annoyance. "Why didn't you just listen to me and let it stay in the dark?" she exclaimed and was about to take a swig from the bottle when Youngbin yanked it out of her hands. 

"Yah!" 

"What's happening?" he repeated.

Hyejeong sighed. "You stole something from the shadows and now they're trying to get it back. The fox isn’t supposed to leave Rosura until if fully awakens. You think you're doing good Youngbin but all you left us was a mess-" 

She stopped realizing the impact of her words. 

“If I were you, i'd work with Chani again. Broken, you won't be able to do a thing but together..," she continued after a minute, breaking the strained silence that enveloped them. 

"Does Chani know?" Youngbin asked.

She smirked. "Of course he knows. That kid doesn’t miss anything important,”

 

 ==========

"Brave of you to call me out here, brother,"

Chani’s voice cut through the silence. Youngbin his heels and regarded him. His brother looked a lot different – taller by about an inch, thinner but what bothered Youngbin most was the look in Chani’s eyes.

They weren’t the eyes of a child – they were harsh and cold and assessing and it sent a shiver down his spine.

"You knew about Inseong and Rosura?" Youngbin asked not bothering with the niceties.

The younger scoffed. “What do you take me for, brother? Of course I do. And I’m pretty sure I know a lot more than you do right now,” he replied as he started to walk around Youngbin in a circle.

“Really? And what is that?”

“That right now, you need my help and would want to me to join forces with the knights again” Chani said in a low, almost gravelly voice.

“Hyejeong said it would be for the best” Youngbin replied.  

Chani shook his head. “And you still base your moves on whatever that woman say. Tsk.”

Youngbin remained quiet.

“You know, I think you’re forgetting something, Hyung,” Chani said, the last word dripping with so much hate. “The moment Hyejeong left this place; it had ceased to become neutral ground.”

 Chani stopped walking and stood in front of Youngbin, the temperature in the room turning sub-zero. There were tendrils of ice forming behind Chani – weaving in and out, with different patterns and eventually, forming a sort of ragged wing.

“Pretty,” Youngbin commented.

The wings spread out beside Chani and flapped forward, sending a flurry of snow towards Youngbin.  

“I guess that means you won’t be working with me?” Youngbin said, pulling out his sword.

====================

            “Jaeyoon hyung!”

            He rushed outside hearing the alarm in Rowoon’s voice. The tall guy was pointing at some sort of lump just right outside the gates.

            “Do you know what it is?” he asked, pulling out his pistols.

            “Youngbin hyung suddenly appeared and left it there,” Rowoon replied.

            “It’s Chani. Come on,” Jaeyoon said running outside. Rowoon was still confused as to what’s happening but followed him otherwise.

            Jaeyoon was already kneeling beside the figure when he arrived. Rowoon rushed towards them and immediately grabbed Chani’s wrist, feeling for a pulse.

“He’s still alive,” he whispered, looking at the state of his wounds. There were cuts and burns all over his body. Thankfully, there weren’t any critical hits.

            Rowoon placed a hand on Chani’s forehead and started the process of healing. The magic flowed through his veins like a river and escaped through his hand and he watched as the wounds slowly stitch themselves together. The entire process took several minutes.

            Afterwards, Jaeyoon carried the kid in his arms and they slowly made their way towards his bedroom.

            “By the way, how did you know it was Chani?” Rowoon asked.

            “He told me that Youngbin wanted to talk,” Jaeyoon replied.

            Rowoon turned to him. “And you let him go alone?! What if he dies?!”

            Jaeyoon sighed. “He didn’t, okay? Besides, he told me it’s at Club Oracle so I went with it. And Youngbin would never kill his own brother,”

            “Yeah, but he did hurt him enough,” Rowoon retorted.

            Jaeyoon was quiet up until they managed to get Chani in bed. Club Oracle was neutral ground but the fight between the two Nephilim is definitely a sign that something’s up.

 

==========

            Youngbin woke up with a slight headache and sore body. He didn’t think that Chani could improve that much within a short period of time. The kid was still rough and impulsive with his attacks but with time, Youngbin knew that he will be a worthy opponent.

            “Hyung! Finally!” Hwiyoung rushed to him with tears in his eyes.

            “Oh Hwiyoung-ah, what’s wrong? How long was I asleep?” he asked as he got up from the bed. It felt as if he’d been asleep for years.

            “You’ve been asleep for an entire week, hyung!”

            “An entire week? You’re joking, right?” he asked but Hwiyoung’s serious expression told him otherwise. He also noticed how the kid was suddenly thrumming with a nervous energy.

            “What’s wrong? What happened while I was out?”

            “Dawon and Inseong sneaked into Club Oracle a couple of hours ago,”

            “What?! Where is Taeyang? Didn’t he tell you that Hyejeong left?!”

            Youngbin saw Hwiyoung freeze and looked up at him slowly with wide eyes. “Hyejeong-nuna… left… t-that means…,”

            “Where is Taeyang?! Didn’t he inform you guys?!”

            Hwiyoung suddenly covered his face with his hands and started to sob.

            “Hwiyoung-ah, what happened?” he asked as gently as he could.